Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:15:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  MTV: GN'R Bassist Works Solo While Awaiting Chinese Democracy
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: MTV: GN'R Bassist Works Solo While Awaiting Chinese Democracy  (Read 12973 times)
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« on: June 10, 2004, 07:11:25 AM »

www.mtv.com

Once the public pegs you as something, it's hard to break out of the box. For proof just look at Tommy Stinson, who's performed on more than 10 projects since 1991 but always seems to have his name preceded by the words "ex-Replacements bassist."

Stinson wouldn't mind the association if it were simply a reflection of how evocative, forward-thinking and influential he is as a musician. However, when most people draw the Replacements connection, it's coming from a completely different place.

"When I'm out, people literally come up to me and go, 'Dude, I saw you. You guys played, and you were so f---ed up you couldn't stand up. You were falling down and it was the greatest show I ever saw,' " Stinson said. "I think we made some great records, but no one ever says, 'Man, I think your music was amazing.' "

After forming the groups Bash & Pop and Perfect in the mid-'90s, Stinson joined Guns N' Roses in 1998 and has worked with them in the studio and on the road. And in his abundant spare time, he wrote and recorded his first solo album, Village Gorilla Head, due July 27.

The disc contains 11 songs Stinson has written over the past 10 years, and it covers a variety of styles. "Without a View" is acoustic and melancholy, "Something's Wrong" features serrated guitar chords that mingle with classic pop melodies, and "Couldn't Wait" is bristling and agitated, conjuring the brazen spirit of punk before the rise of Green Day.

"I didn't set out to make a certain kind of record," Stinson said. "I like to hear albums that have peaks and valleys, and different musical textures going on that maybe have nothing to do with the song before."

Stinson named the album Village Gorilla Head after an electronic-flavored song colored with horns and strings, which was cobbled together from three musical pieces, each of which illuminated different areas of the musical spectrum. "One of them kind of sounded like the Village People, one sounded a bit like Gorillaz, and the bridge on the other one sounded like Mot?rhead," Stinson said.

While Stinson explores various musical styles, his lyrics are fairly dark. Over the course of the record, Stinson obliquely addresses his marriage, his divorce, being a father, and numerous romantic relationships that didn't last. But even in the darkest lines, there's always a glimmer of light.

"I think these are a lot of bleak stories being told with hopeful endings," Stinson said. "The vibe of it is, as bad as things are, they're gonna get better."

Stinson plans to tour for Village Gorilla Head, but his road trips may be somewhat limited by Guns N' Roses, who are finishing up their long-awaited album, Chinese Democracy, in fits and starts.

"There are just so many little aspects that are being finalized on that record that every once in a while someone will go, 'God, I just realized you hit a bad note in this one place. We just found it.' And I'll go in and sort it out."

Aver having worked with a long list of producers ? including Roy Thomas Baker, Bob Ezrin, Sean Beavan and Moby ? Axl Rose has taken over production duties for the album, Stinson said. The reason the disc isn't done yet, he added, is because Rose is a methodical perfectionist who wants to make the creation of Chinese Democracy as democratic as possible.

"He likes to take all the members of the band and get the best out of each guy for each song," Stinson said. "It's a brilliant process that gets everyone involved so everyone owns a piece of the song because they've put themselves into it. That way you don't have people going, 'Well, I'm not gonna play on his song if you're not gonna sing on my song.' And that's a lengthy process because you have to get eight people to basically write a song together that everyone likes."

Stinson added that he thinks the record is finally almost done, and the only thing that's holding back its completion is legal issues. Even the recent departure of guitarist Buckethead (see "Buckethead's Hand Puppet Says Goodbye To Guns N' Roses") isn't slowing anything down. "As far as I know, he hasn't been replaced, but we already have enough guitarists," Stinson said. "We have Robin Finck and Richard Fortus, and Buckethead will be on the record, too. I really have no idea why he decided to leave, but it didn't come out of left field because he's always come and gone. Even when I do see him, I don't know what he thinks."

« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 07:15:45 AM by kupirock » Logged

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
badapple81
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 07:24:08 AM »

Wow! That is awesome!

"There are just so many little aspects that are being finalized on that record that every once in a while someone will go, 'God, I just realized you hit a bad note in this one place. We just found it.' And I'll go in and sort it out."

I wonder who that SOMEONE is! lol

Stinson added that he thinks the record is finally almost done, and the only thing that's holding back its completion is legal issues. Even the recent departure of guitarist Buckethead (see "Buckethead's Hand Puppet Says Goodbye To Guns N' Roses") isn't slowing anything down. "As far as I know, he hasn't been replaced, but we already have enough guitarists," Stinson said. "We have Robin Finck and Richard Fortus, and Buckethead will be on the record, too. I really have no idea why he decided to leave, but it didn't come out of left field because he's always come and gone. Even when I do see him, I don't know what he thinks."

GREAT that Buckets parts will still be on there.. otherwise the album wouldnt be out for another god knows how many yrs! Sounds like Axl will stick with 2 guitar players which is cool! They are good enough!

"as far as I know" sounds a bit worrying, like he hasnt talked to Axl in a long time!

The album is gonna kick ass!

Man, a little article like this, even though everyone will dismiss it, still lifts my spirits a lot! Just hearing something out of the GN'R camp! Thanks for posting!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 07:26:00 AM by GunnerDownUnder » Logged
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 07:25:59 AM »

Shocked
i don't know, everything seems to be so UN-organized.

and on the other side : methodical perfectionist Huh

wo !! this isnt music ! if axl approaches CD as a math problem or something, CD is gonna suck.

where is ART ?

badapple81
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 07:27:47 AM »

Shocked
i don't know, everything seems to be so UN-organized.

and on the other side : methodical perfectionist Huh

wo !! this isnt music ! if axl approaches CD as a math problem or something, CD is gonna suck.

where is ART ?

Well Axl has made some briliant music in his career thus far man, keep the faith!  ok
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 08:14:08 AM »

The news about Axl being producer is interesting...Wonder what his sound is like.

I dont know, for some reason, I think this thing will actually be out soon.  At least I hope so, I cant wait to hear it already.  Contraband and Chinese Democracy in one year...How fucking great would that be?  My guess would be that we get some kind of date before September.  If I had to guess a release date, Id say December.  Hope its earlier.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 08:16:34 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
badapple81
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 08:20:00 AM »

The news about Axl being producer is interesting...Wonder what his sound is like.

I dont know, for some reason, I think this thing will actually be out soon.  At least I hope so, I cant wait to hear it already.  Contraband and Chinese Democracy in one year...How fucking great would that be?  My guess would be that we get some kind of date before September.  If I had to guess a release date, Id say December.  Hope its earlier.  

Me too Booker.. now that it seems Axl is not replacing Bucket's parts, I have a renewed sense of optimism!  Smiley
madagas
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 08:29:02 AM »

god, it is art and that is why Axl continues to tinker with the record. If he wanted to have a product and just make some money, he would have released it a long time ago. Axl is an absolute maniac. I knew he was going to produce the record. That is what is taking so long. This thing better sound immaculate. Nice that Bucket is going to be on the record. Tommy is a good little soldier. He's Axl's press guy I think! Grin
madagas
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 08:34:31 AM »

Also, in our rush to criticize Axl and force our wants and needs on him, we tend to underestimate how much this record means to the guy. This literally is his baby-his creation. He truly will have given everything he has to this project. This will be his true test as an artist. He has some good support in guys like Tommy, but in the end, the project's success or failure is squarely on him. There will be no excuses. Good luck you crazy motherfucker. peace
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 08:37:07 AM by madagas » Logged
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 08:40:32 AM »

"He likes to take all the members of the band and get the best out of each guy for each song," Stinson said. "It's a brilliant process that gets everyone involved so everyone owns a piece of the song because they've put themselves into it. That way you don't have people going, 'Well, I'm not gonna play on his song if you're not gonna sing on my song.' And that's a lengthy process because you have to get eight people to basically write a song together that everyone likes."

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley ok ok ok ok

Ahahahaha!  Axl is fuckin' brilliant!
Ya see! Just like Axl said - It's not an Axl Rose record.... everyone in the band is putting so much into the writing and recording of the album.

And again, this is not the first time, Tommy has said this.... about it being a completely collaborative effort  ok  ok

As for Axl producing -  ah!  'If you want something done right - do it yourself, eh?;  Grin

love Tommy  love
Tommy's album coming out July 27th.  Now there's an album I'm buying!  ok
coondogg
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 08:41:10 AM »

Sounds like Buckethead will not be replaced and they'll stick with two guitarists. If that's the case, then Axl's reason for cancelling RIR3 is out the window.  Huh

I too think that CD must be close to coming out. This might sound rude, but why else would MTV being interviewing Stinson? Why would they give a fuck if he has a solo record coming out? All they play is rap and r&b now anyway. I can't wait to give Stinson's cd a listen, but MTV giving it some coverage just seems a little out of place. Either way, it's good to hear from someone in the GNR camp and for them to let us know they're alive.
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 08:51:38 AM »

Good point...if (per Tommy) a replacement hasn't been found for Buckethead, why the big whiney press release from Axl, canceling the Rio gig 2 months in advance? Well, Axl seems to get something out of creating drama for himself so there you go....Yea Tommy!!!!! peace
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 09:03:13 AM »

well

I really liked BHEAD?S solos... nightrain with him was amazing!
I like Finck too ... but sometimes his guitar?s sound is awful...
NOT that I?m saying that we?ll not hear a "great" solo on live shows, but how can GNR live without BUCKETHEAD ? ( I was thinking that they already have a 3? guitarrist since January ... )

Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 09:04:12 AM »

Great to see more confirmation that this is a colaborative effort so all those people telling us how the other band members are just there to play what Axl tells them can shut up.

Legal issues have been brought up a couple of times. I wonder what they are?

As for going with two guitarists and leaving Buckethead on the album - that makes me more than happy.  ok

However, the whole RIR thing is now a total mystery to me. Previously I thought that clearly Axl must have thought a good show wasn't possible without a third guitarist, but now I'm totally baffled. Now, I can see no reason for the cancellation of RIR.  Huh

I feel it's getting closer......  nervous

@#$%Muther
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 09:23:43 AM »

NOT that I?m saying that we?ll not hear a "great" solo on live shows, but how can GNR live without BUCKETHEAD ? ( I was thinking that they already have a 3? guitarrist since January ... )

If they survived replacing every original member....

Now I don't want nobody here saying they didn't.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 09:31:15 AM »

However, the whole RIR thing is now a total mystery to me. Previously I thought that clearly Axl must have thought a good show wasn't possible without a third guitarist, but now I'm totally baffled. Now, I can see no reason for the cancellation of RIR.  Huh

I hear ya...but I'm sure Bucket leaving caused some ripples in the water to say the least, and they (Axl) might not have known what to do right away (get a new guitarist or not). This coupled with the fact that Axl is notrious for canceling shows at the last possible second probably made them take the "lesser of two evils" approach and cancel Rio way in advance.

What I'm having trouble with is the fact that Bucket is still on the album. Now I, like most of you, really want to hear his parts on CD...absolutely. But what good are they if they can't be replicated during a live performance  Huh  I doubt Finck or Fortus will be willing to compromise there own style of playing on certain songs to accomodate Bucket's unique sound (nor is it fair to even ask them to do that). So I'm on the fence about all this. I guess, if nothing else it will hopefully allow for an earlier release of CD than if Axl wanted Bucket's parts replaced.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 09:36:34 AM »

I dont know, for some reason, I think this thing will actually be out soon.  a release date, Id say December.

Wow, so we have Tommy saying it'll be out soon, Dizzy saying it'll be out soon, Axl saying hopefully a release date soon..... and now Booker thinking it'll be out soon.

It's gotta be out soon!  Cool

That article was a great read btw, and had some new info.  Very cool.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 09:37:18 AM »

i dont know if approaching music like that. being a methodical perfectionist is what we need for rock music.
i mean, music comes from inspiration and the artistic side of a person.
not from his ability to find errors and bad notes.

i don't know.
it's just like when u draw. u know. if you keep touching your drawing, messing with it, cause u see errors and mistakes, you'll get nowhere and u will actually mess your drawing up.

but well, we'll see what uncle axl has to say .....

matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 09:37:42 AM »

Stinson is a great musician and i believe his words.

Rock on Brother ok

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
thefuzzbox
Opening Act

A Turbulent Sky...The New Debris

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 09:40:46 AM »

Hardly earth-shattering  and probably been raised before, but on that pop=up when visiting Tommystinson.com, I seem to recall it saying "Yes, I'm still in Guns n Roses", and "yes, the album will be coming out"

Well anyway, instead of 'the album' it now says 'Chinese Democracy'.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2004, 09:43:50 AM »

i dont know if approaching music like that. being a methodical perfectionist is what we need for rock music.
i mean, music comes from inspiration and the artistic side of a person.
not from his ability to find errors and bad notes.

i don't know.
it's just like when u draw. u know. if you keep touching your drawing, messing with it, cause u see errors and mistakes, you'll get nowhere and u will actually mess your drawing up.

but well, we'll see what uncle axl has to say .....

Yeah, but you always have something you don't like about your drawings (At least I do) and I've been told many times that I'm my own worst critic.

If thats the case for Axl....  Holy shit!! He must really hate himself!! hihi

poor guy.  Cry

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: