Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:23:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  3 different Color Albums .... CHEAP JOKE
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 different Color Albums .... CHEAP JOKE  (Read 11435 times)
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« on: June 09, 2004, 03:02:05 AM »

I went to the store today to pick up my VR album like many fans. I am pumped and excited to have and hear this album. It has alot of great songs on there and some good songs. I cant say there is a bad song on there.

My complaint is the 3 different Colored Album Covers.  Once you take off the cardboard sleeve its the same album underneath all three sleeves. They are trying to get some of the hardcore STP, GnR, and VR fans to buy 3 albums when they really dont need more then one.  If they are gonna release three different albums make them different. Add a different song. Add different band pictures something to make each album unique. Instead they make three the same and put 3 different colors on it so the hardcore fans buy three and it raises their total count.

Anyone else think its pointless to have 3 identical albums with different colored sleeves on the outside.?

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 03:12:11 AM »

Anyone else think its pointless to have 3 identical albums with different colored sleeves on the outside.?

No, because nobody has to buy them, and those who do get what they want.  Pretty simple if you ask me.  Everybody else gets an option.

I think the booklet should accomodate the sleeve color, but its not a big deal.  If they did what you said, and made each color different in some way, thats no longer giving fans an option, but rather pressuring them into get all three.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 03:19:28 AM »

I think the booklet should accomodate the sleeve color, but its not a big deal.  If they did what you said, and made each color different in some way, thats no longer giving fans an option, but rather pressuring them into get all three.
I think they are already pressuring fans into getting all three because the hardcore ones want to "collect" them all. Seether put out how many different covers for their last album. I dont think by adding some different to all the cds it would make more pressure on someone buying it. But I read some posts on here were someone went with a friend to the store and they each bought one of each color. I think if you are willing to spend the extra money you are ENTITLED to have something extra

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
bill213
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 03:46:22 AM »

Basically to me releasing 3 diff covers of the same album (no different songs or insides) means this:

1. They're not trying to rip off the fans because.
   A.  All the albums are the same, nothing to gain by buying the
         other colors
   B.  People have a choice of what color they like better.

2.  If they were trying to rip fans off by making them buy all three:
   A. They'd have one different song on each album.
   B.  That'd way it'd be pretty low to buy 3 of the same albums
        albeit one song just to have all three for the 3  
        random songs.
    C.  They'd package each one as a Limited Edition or such.

3.   Putting posts in outline format rocks a llama's anus.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 03:59:59 AM by Bildo aka Bill213 » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 03:56:30 AM »

why would u want all 3 covers?

think about it? who the fuck are u gonna show em to?

whose gonna care?
thats a total waste of money

but its your right i guess

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 06:03:09 AM »

Well when I went to Stockmann (store in Finland) this morning the guy said that inside the sleeve it's also the same color, but he probably didn't know that they all are the same color inside.

Only bought one.

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
Vegar
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 08:34:34 AM »

I bought Contraband today.

But im very confused:

Outside the original cover there was a "paper-cover" that was red.

Then I took the org.cover out of that paper-cover, and then I saw that the org. cover was black!
Did you understand that, and do you know if its gonna be like that Huh

Another thing- I've been told that the european version had "bodies" as a bonus track, but on the cover, it didn't stand anything 'bout bodies!

Why is that Huh

confused confused confused

Just use your head and in the end
You?ll find your inspiration,
To choose your steps, I won't regret
This kind of aggravation
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 09:07:56 AM »

They're not making fans buy all three?

WTF? Haven't you read any posts about people who went in and bought three copies?

Some fans will buy all three just to collect them all.

Some of them will even get the imports since those have bonus tracks.

I wonder how hard it would've been to include three pieces of paper in there so you could put the one you want in the cd case....  hihi

Pearl Jam did something similar with "No Code". The albums had a few different "polaroid sets". So depending on which one you got, you got different pics with different lyrics on them.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 09:10:26 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 09:58:41 AM »

They're not making fans buy all three?

WTF? Haven't you read any posts about people who went in and bought three copies?

Yeah...And they didnt have to.  They know what theyre getting - a different color album cover.  Theres no additions to make them feel theyre getting short-changed if they dont buy it - the people buying these are people who want them, and thats what theyre getting.  End of story.  To those who dont really care about the colors, it makes no difference.

Some of them will even get the imports since those have bonus tracks.

Yes, like many imports.  And the bonus track is available here as well.

I wonder how hard it would've been to include three pieces of paper in there so you could put the one you want in the cd case....  hihi

Pretty hard, since thats not even what were discussing.  Were talking about the cardboard sleeve, not the booklet (which, if youve seen the booklet, wouldnt work in a "three cover" format.

Pearl Jam did something similar with "No Code". The albums had a few different "polaroid sets". So depending on which one you got, you got different pics with different lyrics on them.

Thats great...but this isnt No Code.  And correct me if Im wrong, doesnt that inclusion of different features pressure fans into buying more than one?

Its so simple that its frustrating to watch people actually carry on about this:

Fans can choose what color cardboard case they like best.  If they want more than one, they can buy more than one.  If they dont, then theres no difference.  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 10:03:41 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 10:36:56 AM »

You can't admit that with this tactic, they'll sell a few more copies?

Would these people buy three identical albums?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
coondogg
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 10:47:59 AM »

You can't admit that with this tactic, they'll sell a few more copies?

Would these people buy three identical albums?

/jarmo

You're right about this being about selling more copies. I don't remember seeing anything at the store that said this is the same cd with different colored covers. If their intention was not to sell more cds, then they could have placed a sticker on the cd or a board next to them disclosing they are all the same on the inside. Without doing something like that you have no idea about the content of each color. People here lose sight that besides us message board nerds, most people have no idea what the three different colors mean.
TimeToPlay
Headliner

I'm not a god damned llama!

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 10:48:28 AM »

There is no motive behind this other than to make money.  Don't get me wrong, I bought one copy of the album and think it kicks ass, but...

They know that they'll have "X" amount of sales on their album when they release it, regardless of color.  Now, when they throw in 3 colors, they now that out of that "X" amount, "Y" amount of people will buy all three, thus increasing the total sales - which could be "S," I suppose.  See, when you have only one color, Total Sales = Amount of People who bought album, but when you have three colors, Total Sales = Amount of People who bought album + extras from the hardcores who bought all three.  

Many bands have done this, and I've never been a supporter of it.  However, I should shut up because if Democracy actually ever comes out with like 3 colors, I know I'll buy all 3  hihi

Why don't you just fuck off?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 10:54:40 AM »

They could release how many versions they want. I don't care since I only bought one.

But don't tell me they're not doing this to sell a few more copies... I don't think it's all about the fans. The record company wants to make money and they already made VR edit their songs...

/jarmo

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 01:16:49 PM »

But don't tell me they're not doing this to sell a few more copies...

I dont know where I said that...Of course they will, I dont think thats the discussion.  The discussion as I see it is whether theres a problem with that, and I certainly dont see one.

I said they arent putting any extra pressure on fans to buy more than one with extra incentives, and theres really no reason to bitch about it, because if you dont want to buy all three, you dont have to - youre not missing anything.  If somebody does want another color, they have that option.  I see absolutely no problem with this.  

I don't think it's all about the fans. The record company wants to make money

No kidding, theyre a record company.  Whats next, complaining about distributing the CDs to too many stores?  

But theyre hardly making anybody buy any more than one copy.  

and they already made VR edit their songs..

As Geffen did with GNR...and nearly every other artist out there with a PA sticker on their CD.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 01:18:53 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 01:26:06 PM »

I dont know where I said that...Of course they will, I dont think thats the discussion.  The discussion as I see it is whether theres a problem with that, and I certainly dont see one.

There's no problem.

Just wanted to make sure you're not arguing about RCA (and/or VR) making three covers available because they know they'll sell a few extra copies that way.

I said they arent putting any extra pressure on fans to buy more than one with extra incentives, and theres really no reason to bitch about it, because if you dont want to buy all three, you dont have to - youre not missing anything.  If somebody does want another color, they have that option.  I see absolutely no problem with this.  

My only "problem" is the "we did it for the fans" thing.... Because I just don't buy it.

No kidding, theyre a record company.  Whats next, complaining about distributing the CDs to too many stores?  

But theyre hardly making anybody buy any more than one copy.

Nice comparison.  Roll Eyes

They don't have to make anybody buy more than one copy, they know the hardcore fans will do it anyway...

As Geffen did with GNR...and nearly every other artist out there with a PA sticker on their CD.

Did Geffen really tell Axl "you can't say Fuck on the album!"?

I don't remember Axl being in the studio doing edits of the songs. They just muted/bleeped out the "bad" words.

Maybe that's how it's done these days. I thought some artist just don't care that much that they'll change the lyrics just to make it less offensive.  Huh  

/jarmo

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2004, 01:53:29 PM »

My only "problem" is the "we did it for the fans" thing.... Because I just don't buy it.

Is it not possible to do things for your fans and make money?

Did Geffen really tell Axl "you can't say Fuck on the album!"?  I don't remember Axl being in the studio doing edits of the songs. They just muted/bleeped out the "bad" words.

Maybe that's how it's done these days. I thought some artist just don't care that much that they'll change the lyrics just to make it less offensive.  Huh  

Not to my knowledge, but they edited his lyrics just the same.

And youre doing a lot of assuming here...Im fairly certain that Scott didnt have to change any lyrics - after all, theres a million artists on the radio using profanity - itll simply be blanked out.  If you remember, the song that was edited was "Slither" and the word wasnt "fuck" - it was "poppies".  Im sure he couldve settled with deleting the audio from the edit, but, judging from interviews, he re-recorded the lyric with "nazis" out of spite.  Like Eminem, he chose to alter his lyrics rather than settle for the decidedly less creative muting.

Another thing - Ive yet to hear this version, as the unedited version is the only one receiving airplay.    

This album has cursing on nearly every song...so I dont think the record company said "You cant say 'Fuck' on the album".  

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 02:26:18 PM »

Is it not possible to do things for your fans and make money?

Yes you can.

But I just don't think a band which signs to a major label and is putting out their first album is gonna be the most fan friendly band on the planet. The record company wants their money back.

And youre doing a lot of assuming here...Im fairly certain that Scott didnt have to change any lyrics - after all, theres a million artists on the radio using profanity - itll simply be blanked out.  If you remember, the song that was edited was "Slither" and the word wasnt "fuck" - it was "poppies".  Im sure he couldve settled with deleting the audio from the edit, but, judging from interviews, he re-recorded the lyric with "nazis" out of spite.  Like Eminem, he chose to alter his lyrics rather than settle for the decidedly less creative muting.

Since we only get the unedited versions over here, I don't know how many of the cds I own that are available in edited versions where the lyrics have been altered.

I think it's weird that the record company (it was them?) asks an artist to edit his/her songs....  "Change your words so Walmart can sell the album".... no

/jarmo

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 02:39:04 PM »

I think it's weird that the record company (it was them?) asks an artist to edit his/her songs....  "Change your words so Walmart can sell the album".... no

I said in my post that the record company most likely didnt ask Weiland to re-record lyrics - he did it himselfout of spite.  Instead of sitting idly by while a word like "poppies" gets bleeped out, he added his own message by replacing it with "nazis" - a stab at the ones doing the censoring.  A cool move, actually, in my opinion.  Although it seems it was done for naught since I havent heard the edit and have no knowledge of its release.

Eminem does the same thing.  He doesnt have to change his words for radio, but hes said that instead of just listening to the record get chopped up with mutes, hed rather rewrite the lyrics instead.  Its a more creative, interesting way to handle inevitable censorship.

Yes the record company did release an edited version for Wal-Mart, nearly every record company does.  And like I said, GNR was no exception.  However, Im almost positive that they didnt force or even insist Scott re-record anything - he seems to have done that on his own will.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2004, 03:42:28 PM »

Yeah but by putting 3 different colors out THEY ARE PUTTING PRESSURE ON FANS. We all know the stories of certain old records with misprints or different covers being worth money. So by putting out 3 different colored Albums some people will by all 3 thinking maybe one is rarer.

Whats wrong with having different pictures on the inside. I wouldnt feal I still had to buy all 3. But if I did atleast there would be something FOR THE FANS. SINCE THIS ALBUM WAS MADE FOR THE FANS, WHY NOT GIVE US SOMETHING LIKE DIFFERENT PICTURES, THE SAME LIVE SONG RECORDED AT THREE different places, OR throw in a different VR sticker with each one, since the album is for the fans.

Like people already said not everyone buying this album is a message board junkie. They might not know the difference in colors means nothing.  Old Guns N Roses fans will remember that UYI came out in two colors on the same day. Yellow for UYI 1 and Blue for UYI 2. People bought them both. GnR hardcore might see the different colors and think the same thing.

I was at Best Buy and the different CD colors didnt say anything about being the same or being 1/3 colors avaible with the same music. SO NO ONE CAN SAY RCA isnt trying to be cheap and make extra money.  Making 3 different colors is not for the fans. It only benefits the owner of RCA hell the sleeve color doesnt mean crap to me, I just think its a cheap way to sell an album.

PS I love the album, but the 3 colors is a cheap way at pounding out a couple extra cds...... maybe a couple extra to help boost it to #1.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2004, 06:08:30 PM »

It isn't a big deal really... what people are primarily interested in is the content of the CD, which can easily be seen on the back of the case, regardless of the colour.

If someone is obsessive enough, with alot more money than sense resulting in them wanting to buy 3 identical CD's, that is their problem. No one is forcing them to do so but themselves.

I would be more pissed off if each different cover featured varying bonus tracks etc., because that would be a cheap ploy by the record company. More people would feel pressurised into buying each different cover so that they could be sure of owning all of VR's recorded material; it's similar to the inclusion of B-sides on singles. The only time that I have ever bought a single is really simply to obtain a B-side that isn't included on any album.

By the way, I think I'm the only person on the world that didn't get a choice of covers. I picked up the CD today at the local HMV, which only appeared to be stocking the red sleeved disc. If I had the choice I would have gone for the black one, but I got the music now, that's all that matters   beer

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: