Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:28:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Singles History
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Singles History  (Read 4627 times)
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« on: June 08, 2004, 11:31:21 PM »

This is Velvet Revolver related.
So it seems like the order of singles released is a calculated move that the record companies have down to a science. they seem to know which songs on an album are going to be popular and in what order they can be most effective (i.e. rocker first, ballad second)
My question: when in musical history has a song been an unexpected hit?
Because from reading all of your thoughts on the album, everyone loves YGNR and LTA. They are also critical favorites, but haven't been played live or mentioned as trump cards by any of the band members, leading me to believe they don't expect these songs to catch on as well. So, is it possible in today's musical experience to have songs that are underestimated become huge hits? and if so, please provide examples.

If you can't comment intelligently and offer examples and your opinion and why you think the way you do, please don't bother responding to this topic.
 Smiley
Old Man In Chains
Opening Act

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 11:35:45 PM »

I think "Hey Ya" but Outkast was an unexpected hit. They had another song slated to be released and at the last minute changed their minds.  The song was a risk since it was quite a departure for rap group.  I think LTA could fall into that mold.

With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 11:37:59 PM »

Pour Some Sugar On Me was never supposed to be a single.  It ended up being Def Leopard biggest song ever.  

I think they are hush on You Got No Right and Loving the Aliens.  They hope the album does well with out them.  Then, drop one of those songs and it takes the album to another level with the general public.  It is their power play move.  There are several good songs for singles off of this album.  They must be strategic in what they release to maintain momentum.
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 11:41:29 PM »

Pour Some Sugar On Me was never supposed to be a single.  It ended up being Def Leopard biggest song ever.  

I think they are hush on You Got No Right and Loving the Aliens.  They hope the album does well with out them.  Then, drop one of those songs and it takes the album to another level with the general public.  It is their power play move.  There are several good songs for singles off of this album.  They must be strategic in what they release to maintain momentum.

those are good points you made, but is that really realistic? do bands keep the buzz on songs under wraps?
and i remember that about Def Leppard. Pour Some Jizz on Me ( Wink) was barely a song, much less a hit single.  hihi good call on that one.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 11:43:41 PM »

It used to happen quite regularly in the 50's, artists like Buddy Holly, Richie Valens etc. had songs that were pressed but never actually released that became groundswell hits.

Can't think of anything in the modern era that "just caught on" so to speak and became a huge hit.

I'm sure there's a few though...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 11:44:45 PM »

Ice Ice baby.
It was the B side to Vanilla Ices first single.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 11:52:27 PM »

Can't think of anything in the modern era that "just caught on" so to speak and became a huge hit.

I'm sure there's a few though...

Lisa Loeb - Stay, she wasnt even signed to a label when that song blew up.

Norah Jones' success after "Dont Know Why" was kind of surprising.  

Theres actually tons more, none of which I can think of right now.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 11:53:59 PM »

gary jules remake of mad world

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 01:09:21 AM »

You cannot announce your best song first.  If it fails, what do you have to fall back on?  Only go to them if the album sales are in desperate need of some help.  LTA and YGNR are both long songs by today's standards.  So maybe that is why also.  FTP is not that long.
Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 01:30:42 AM »

I don't have any examples to add to singles that took people by surprise by becoming big hits.  

I just wanted to add that maybe VR hasn't mentioned these songs because neither Slash nor Duff ever really cared for "ballad" type songs during their time with GN'R.  We've all heard/read how Axl had to push them to get them to the "softer" songs.  Plus, they are hyping this as a "return of rock" type thing.  If they mention all these softer songs (which I love) they may lose that rock edge.  
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 01:36:02 AM »

I hope they release atleast one slower song it doesn't have to be a  "ballad" just somthing with a slower tempo.
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 02:58:46 AM »

Pearl Jam's Yellow Ledbetter.

Guns N' Roses' Yesterdays (I think that most of us never expected them to release it as a single, I for one was waiting for Pretty tied up or Breakdown as the follow-up to November Rain).

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 03:10:33 AM »

Pearl Jam "Last Kiss". It was originally released on a fan club single but then radio started playing it and it became a big radio hit.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
gnrmadagascar
Headliner

Broken glass and cigarettes...

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »

KISS - Beth

It was the song that really made them skyrocket into stardom and made Destroyer a hit. Before that everybody hated Destroyer.

The Poster Formely Known as estranged13
"While I'm sitting here, doing nothing but aging, still my guitar, gently weeps..." - George Harrison
Evil Ash
Dude, they peed on your fucking rug
VIP

GnR is unstoppable, but delay-able ;)

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2004, 08:14:40 PM »

gary jules remake of mad world

doesn't really count! It was a song from the (great) movie Donnie Darko! The movie didn't do very well at the box office but it got a huge Internet cult crowd that was really growing by sending the movie (and the song) around!

Then the song got very popular on the net and a record compagnie in the UK released it as a christmas single and it reached high in the chart while the movie was out for 2-3 years!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 08:15:20 PM by Evil Ash » Logged

Like peeing clouds!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: