Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 07:34:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Contraband To Debut At #1?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Contraband To Debut At #1?  (Read 21292 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2004, 04:53:15 PM »

It isn't really that surprising given all the hype (they've been in just about every music magazine over the past two months, and EVERY guitar magazine.

Well its exceeding nearly everyones expectations, so its a little surprising.

And considering how well the GN'R GH did, it would be embarressing if it didn't stay at #1 for at least two weeks.  GH is still charting top ten in the UK.

confused

It would hardly be embarassing, especially since the Beastie Boys are a lock for #1 and this album has already exceeded expectations.  I dont see how falling from #1 could be embarrasing when they werent really expected to reach it in the first place.

But youre right, falling to #2 or #3 would be positively humiliating... Roll Eyes  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 04:56:57 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
outlawaxl
Rocker

The King of Kings

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2004, 04:54:11 PM »

i didnt think it would sell this well but the band has gotten alot of positive press in the music mags and the Guitar mags.... im not saying thats why it will be number one,..... but its cool to have gunners with a number one album.....even for a week...
Dizzy
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2004, 05:24:24 PM »

I didn't expect them to debut at #1, so I'm really pleased.  And who cares if they fall after only one week?  Hell, a #1 album is damn good.

I hope amazon will ship my damn CD in the next few days.
outlawaxl
Rocker

The King of Kings

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2004, 05:31:09 PM »

I hope amazon will ship my damn CD in the next few days.

dude! you dont have the CD yet?? my god i know you were more excited and waiting longer for this CD than i was and you didnt go down to the store and buy another copy with a different cover or something??? you are a paitent man......
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2004, 05:41:13 PM »

confused

It would hardly be embarassing, especially since the Beastie Boys are a lock for #1 and this album has already exceeded expectations.  I dont see how falling from #1 could be embarrasing when they werent really expected to reach it in the first place.

But youre right, falling to #2 or #3 would be positively humiliating... Roll Eyes  
Being outsold by an average selection of their own old songs, from a band who hasn't made an album for 10 years?  Yes. I think so.

And it's not exceding everyones expectations...nowhere's sold out, and the record company has shipped LOADS of copies.  Someone said in another thread that they shipped as many copies as they did of Avril Lavignes new album.  Considering how long her debut charted at #1, I'd say that meant someone in a suit and a large office somewhere has very high expectations.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Dizzy
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2004, 05:43:12 PM »

dude! you dont have the CD yet?? my god i know you were more excited and waiting longer for this CD than i was and you didnt go down to the store and buy another copy with a different cover or something??? you are a paitent man......

The only store near me is Wal-mart and they only sell edited CDs.  It sucks!  rant  Angry
outlawaxl
Rocker

The King of Kings

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2004, 05:45:30 PM »

nowhere's sold out, and the record company has shipped LOADS of copies.

how many years has it been since an album Sold Out of a major Record store??  that  just doesnt happen anymore....
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2004, 07:03:59 PM »

Being outsold by an average selection of their own old songs, from a band who hasn't made an album for 10 years?  Yes. I think so.

So falling out of the #1 spot after one week constitutes being "outsold"... confused Might want to think that one over again, especially since Greatest Hits didnt even chart at #1 (this whole thread is discussing American numbers).

Bringing up GHs "average" tracklisting is irrelevant - it had every hit.  And GH did better than most albums out there, so most albums are being outsold by that CD.  Its really irrelevant - to everyone but you it seems.    

And it's not exceding everyones expectations...nowhere's sold out

Really?  I wasnt aware that you had access to every American record retailers inventory list...my apologies.  Its just that with news articles reading "Early midday reports from retail have Velvet Revolver exceeding expectations and should debut #1 on next week?s chart. Reorders from the majors have been pouring in all day" had me believing otherwise.  Apparently major retailers call in for reorders when the CD is not selling out - I wasnt aware of that, but thanks for filling me in.  Youd obviously know better than HitsDailyDouble.    

« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 07:09:48 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2004, 07:14:14 PM »

In the UK according to Channel 4's TV text.  It's expecting a top 10 mark.  

Faithless are tipped for the #1 spot and they say that VR and Supergrass are battling for the next highest position in the top 10.

I can't believe people are now bitching about the criteria to base how well it is doing lol

A number1, is a number one.  However, a great album at #1 is a rare thing.  

Come on you sour people, even you could give these guys some credit for doing well - on whatever scale. I would have been happy with a top 20 entry then a build up with the promotion and gigs.   But it would be great to see these guys do well as possible.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2004, 07:15:52 PM »

The only store near me is Wal-mart and they only sell edited CDs.  It sucks!  rant  Angry

Drive!  Drive all night if you have to, just buy the unedited CD somewhere!  yes  ok

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2004, 08:26:06 PM »

I knew it would sell well  Smiley

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2004, 10:25:47 PM »

We ran out of them at Best Buy today. I had to tell that to about 30 people lol

just thought I'd give ya a lil update on the sales

it's an amazing thing just watching people stand in front of the VR cds and look through the cover then buy it!
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2004, 10:43:35 AM »

i was on www.hitsdailydouble
and  i don't know why  jarmo put that rumor on news
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 10:44:28 AM by rale » Logged
Evil Ash
Dude, they peed on your fucking rug
VIP

GnR is unstoppable, but delay-able ;)

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2004, 10:51:30 AM »

Why did you post this here and not in VR's section ??

Or even better, just put it as a reply in Jarmo's topic...

Anyway, I think that it's possible! This album is much more wanted then GH... I think it'll sell a lot at this release, then drop and then with their next single (FTP??) rise quickly and stay there for a while...

Like peeing clouds!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2004, 11:08:14 AM »

i was on www.hitsdailydouble
and  i don't know why  jarmo put that rumor on news

Learn to read........this is on the front page

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news05145m01
Chrill
Opening Act

You're fucking crazy

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2004, 01:53:52 PM »

I think younggunner got a point, really. I mean, people have been waiting and waiting for a real rock album. Old GNR and STP fans don?t want any covers nor greatest hits collections, they want new material. And it just so happens that VR is in every single music magazine the past two months beacuse the members in VR are old rockstars. You think this album would even get into top 200 chart if the band didn?t have old GNR members in it? I think not. But this is pretty shocking for me at the same time. I was expecting maybe a top 15 place or something. But it seems like they got pretty hyped up.
Though I don?t think Contraband will sell over 3 million copies. If they are lucky, they can sell 2m. Now, when It comes to sold out arenas well, yeah, I think that's true. I mean, if 2 million people buys your album, you got like 6 million who would like to see you live. I mean, it's just too much with all the CD-Ripping. Okey, I?m done. Shoot me!
Dizzy
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2004, 05:05:42 PM »

Drive!  Drive all night if you have to, just buy the unedited CD somewhere!

No need!  Amazon sent me an email stating they just shipped the CD, so I shall be rocking to it this weekend!   Cool
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2004, 07:01:34 PM »

Beastie Boys suck nowadays They went all political and said they wished they never wrote the FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO PARTY ALBUM. VR sounds more like AFD Guns N Roes then Beasties Boys sound like 80's Beasties.

You are right theres nothing wrong with being #2. GH never hit #1 in the states. With as much new crap cds record companies put out it hard for an album to stay at #1 for a long time.  Look at people like Usher, he sold more then a million in his first week and he didnt stay at #1 that long. The fact is all the hardcore fans buy it the week it comes out. Albums are suppose to drop. They just got to drop slowly and respectfully.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2004, 07:33:01 PM »

Beastie Boys suck nowadays They went all political and said they wished they never wrote the FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO PARTY ALBUM. VR sounds more like AFD Guns N Roes then Beasties Boys sound like 80's Beasties.

While Im not crazy about the Buddhist-style Beastie Boys, did you really expect them to be the Licensed To Ill guys forever?  They had to grow up, and really theyve outgrown that since the third album.

I havent heard the new album, but I like the new single.

You are right theres nothing wrong with being #2.

Not at all.  Hell, most of us were guessing it would debut at #2.  For it to occupy that spot at any time during its cycle would be a good thing.

Look at people like Usher, he sold more then a million in his first week and he didnt stay at #1 that long.

Huh

You havent seen the charts lately...Usher was #1 for like 5 or 6 weeks in a row and even after dropping one or two spots, he jumped back to #1 this week - after 11 weeks.  His album is a phenomenon, selling about 4 million in 2 and a half months.  But youre right, most albums fall.  Ushers album is a rare exception.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 07:36:57 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Dizzy
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2004, 10:20:13 PM »

Anybody catch the Beastie Boys on that MTV movie awards show tonight?  Damn they've gone downhill!  They don't even play their own instruments anymore, nor did the performance tonight feature any instruments at all.   no
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: