Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 07:35:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Contraband To Debut At #1?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Contraband To Debut At #1?  (Read 21301 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« on: June 08, 2004, 09:06:28 PM »

Thanks to IndiannaRose for posting this elsewhere...

Early midday reports from retail have Velvet Revolver exceeding expectations and should debut #1 on next week?s chart. Reorders from the majors have been pouring in all day, with the album slated to easily top 200k. Can it beat 250k? Tune in tomorrow for the one-day sales story right here on hitsdailydouble.com, OK? (6/8p)

source: http://hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 09:10:47 PM »

Shocked
awesome. debuting at number 1 would be seriously amazing. which is better for the album? where it debuts or the number of albums sold?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 09:15:20 PM »

Also wanted to mention that the San Francisco show went as planned, and reportedly even featured "Superhuman," which was only previously played at the Roxy show.  

Just a heads up, since I knew I was a bit shaky about the bands status after the abbreviated/cancelled shows.  
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 09:19:04 PM »

Shocked
awesome. debuting at number 1 would be seriously amazing. which is better for the album? where it debuts or the number of albums sold?

The number of albums, of course.  

But it certainly doesnt hurt to have a "#1 album" to your credit either...a debut album at that.  
outlawaxl
Rocker

The King of Kings

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 09:28:32 PM »

a number one spot??? Wow that would be fucking great for the band.... album sales are better than a number one album though..... If it comes out at number one though it has to stay for longer than one week... thats the key to gaging Chart positions as a success...

what was it like ohhh say 1991 that any gunners had an album debut at number one???

they beat Axl to it....  This is good no matter how you look at it though!!!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 09:43:00 PM »

a debut album at that.  
It would be a very good achievment if they debut at #1. But dont make it seem like this is a band thats coming out of nowhere and no1 knows about them. Its not a brand new band with muscians that no1 knows about and is taking the world by storm.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 10:00:26 PM »

It would be a very good achievment if they debut at #1. But dont make it seem like this is a band thats coming out of nowhere and no1 knows about them. Its not a brand new band with muscians that no1 knows about and is taking the world by storm.

I didnt make it seem like anything, I stated a fact: this is a debut album.  As a band and an entity, theyre unproven...unlike GNR or STP.  So for them to debut at #1 would be extra cool for that reason.  Its a great way to begin their career as a unique new entity.

Snakepit had a few GNR guys (in their prime, no less) - that didnt debut at #1.  Audioslave didnt either.  Hell, The Spaghetti Incident? didnt even debut at 1.  So familiarity with the band members hardly guarantees success.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 10:15:23 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 10:21:59 PM »

I didnt make it seem like anything, I stated a fact: this is a debut album.  As a band and an entity, theyre unproven...unlike GNR or STP.  So for them to debut at #1 would be extra cool for that reason.  Its a great way to begin their career as a unique new entity.

Snakepit had a few GNR guys (in their prime, no less) - that didnt debut at #1.  Audioslave didnt either.  Hell, The Spaghetti Incident? didnt even debut at 1.  So familiarity with the band members hardly guarantees success.

Well said Booker.  Why do people have to try and bring us down?

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 10:35:50 PM »

Id hope it would be #1 next week since nothing really came out this week cept for VR. It would be a travesty if it did not. Here is what came out this week.

Velvet Revolver
Corrs
PJ Harvey
Cowboy Junkies

« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 10:37:05 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 10:45:01 PM »

Beating Avril Lavigne and Slipknot out in only their second week of release respectively is flat out amazing..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Old Man In Chains
Opening Act

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 10:54:02 PM »

Debuting at #1 would be huge, although it would hardly be a travesty if they didn't.  Avril  and Usher are still selling tons and are proven pop stars at the moment.  Nobody in VR has had hit album in sometime, so I would hardly call them proven.  If they do debut at #1 I think it is because of the strength of "Slither" and their live shows and the free preview on MTV.  It should all snowball after that, Rolling Stone cover, big hit ballad, sold out arena tour..... I predict double platinum by the end of the year.

With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 10:57:14 PM »

they have a rolling stone cover coming out? i thought they weren't giving those kinds of interviews anymore?  Huh
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 10:59:33 PM »

sold out arena tour.....

Although arena rock shows generally blow, I'm sure they'll go that route if interest remains high.  

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 11:00:59 PM »

I just got out of work! I work @ Best Buy and I bought it!! They were selling like hotcakes @ Best Buy. They had to keep restocking the shelves! The buzz was incredible! Everyone was talking about it and how they've been waiting for this day like a mutherfucker!
Old Man In Chains
Opening Act

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 11:02:29 PM »

I think I read that RS is currently doing a story on them, and if they debut at #1 I wouldn't be suprised if they put VR on the cover.  Just a guess though.  Maybe a little wishful thinking.

With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 11:03:46 PM »

I just got out of work! I work @ Best Buy and I bought it!! They were selling like hotcakes @ Best Buy. They had to keep restocking the shelves! The buzz was incredible! Everyone was talking about it and how they've been waiting for this day like a mutherfucker!

interesting, it certainly wasn't flying off the shelves at one of the Tower Records in NYC, not that that matters much. Just because i don't witness them selling doesn't mean they aren't.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 11:07:45 PM »

they #2 on amazon.com

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Eeebs
I was kissed by Matt Sorum!!
VIP

Riot Act

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2004, 11:09:06 PM »

Well, as I stood in line with my 3 copies (and my sister stood in line with her 3 copies) - pretty much the other 5 or 6 people in the line also had Contraband in hand... I mentioned this on another thread, but in any case, the sales person said that Contraband has been doing so well that they have almost run out of stock.  

Good to know we had a hand in making history repeat itself Smiley  I sure do hope that Contraband debuts at number 1.  That would be unbelievable fantastic!!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2004, 11:43:25 PM »

they #2 on amazon.com

Actually...

Product Details

Audio CD (June 8, 2004)

Number of Discs: 1
Label: Rca
ASIN: B00020NPZA
Amazon.com Sales Rank: 1
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 11:50:03 PM »

As a band and an entity, theyre unproven...unlike GNR or STP.
How are they unproven? Look at their backgrounds. They already have a fan base. Do "true" debut albums/bands have a massive fan base like supergroups such as audioslave and vr do??

So for them to debut at #1 would be extra cool for that reason.  Its a great way to begin their career as a unique new entity.
Im not saying its not. It definately is cool and good to see. All im saying is its not like they are these unknown underdogs coming out of nowhere and doing this,....

Snakepit recieved the same promotion and marketing like VR did? NO way......Snakepit was more of a side project....

Im not too familiar with the music scene around TSI but wasnt grunge more popular than GNr around that time? Wasnt that the period of time when GNR began to lose public interest?

Why do people have to try and bring us down?

Whos trying to bring who down? Im a fan of VR as well. Maybe not a huge one but all Im saying is that although its an excellent achievment to debut at #1 its not that surprising being the type of band it is. The same with GNR. I am expecting them to be top 3 debuts. BUt so what? Its a highly anticpated album so it will do well just on hype. Im more concerned about the music and the legs of the album/singles....

Beating Avril Lavigne and Slipknot out in only their second week of release respectively is flat out amazing..
When you already have a huge fanbase what is so amazing about it?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 11:51:44 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: