Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:30:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  POP QUIZ: SLASH
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: POP QUIZ: SLASH  (Read 7041 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: June 05, 2004, 04:21:22 PM »

Because the world is so desperate for new material from the Guns N' Roses camp -- in any form -- the premiere album from rock super-group Velvet Revolver arrives under such intense security that journalists are allowed to hear the appropriately titled "Contraband" only over the phone before it hits stores this week. Made up of walking pharmaceutical miracle and former Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland and original GNR bassist Duff McKagan and guitar god Slash, the band plays Monday at the Warfield. We spoke to Slash.

Q: So I heard the album over the phone. It sounds just like Nickelback.

A: Oh, come on. I was in a bar in a hotel in London recently and the DJ played our song right after Nickelback and it's definitely nothing like that.

Q: Maybe you should have flown me out to London to hear it for myself.

A: I just wonder if they put the handset right up to the speaker or they have some way of hooking the phone up to the stereo.

Q: I think they take the phone, dip it in the toilet, scotch-tape it to an intern's forehead and then play it through his nose.

A: I have to talk to someone about that.

Q: Definitely. You don't want to see those reviews.

A: So far the feedback has been that it sounds like its own band. That's important. Obviously there's signature stuff from each guy that you could pick out, but as a collective record or product or whatever you call it, it should have its own sound.

Q: It mostly sounds like your old band. You know, Slash's Snakepit?

A: That's the first time I heard that one.

Q: Hey, have you been arrested recently?

A: Not quite. Almost. But not that I remember.

Q: What about Scott Weiland?

A: No. Out of everybody, I heard he was the most genuine rock 'n' roll singer around. This was just based on his voice alone.

Q: This is before something like his 847th drug bust.

A: That's not that big a deal. Everyone in this band has been strung out. We've all managed to function one way or another, although it's been difficult. He's an amazing singer, an amazing lyricist. He shows up every day and wants to work.

Q: Were you ready to bolt when Buckethead quit Guns N' Roses?

A: No. This whole thing with Buckethead just happened. I was amazed that anybody has hung in there with that band this long anyway.

Q: Don't you miss your old friend Axl Rose?

A: When you're dedicated and committed and tight with these other guys (in Velvet Revolver), this is not something that would be blown apart by something like (Buckethead leaving GNR). But before that ever started there were multimillion-dollar deals thrown at us original members of Guns N' Roses like there was no tomorrow to get back together. But it will never happen.

Q: Is that why you retired the top hat?

A: I didn't retire it. I just don't wear it in the context of this group. I still have it. We shot a video last week and I just took it with me for security, I guess. I had a desperate case of inhibition. That's where the whole top hat came from -- sort of, you can't see me and I can't see you. So I brought it with me. It's around. But in the context of this band, it just feels a little bit too predictable.

Aidin Vaziri is a freelance writer.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/a/2004/06/06//PKGMJ6HP911.DTL&type=music

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 05:04:14 PM »

Uhm, should we take this serious  Huh Roll Eyes

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
Dizzy
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 07:34:17 PM »

Poor interview....and Slash still wears his top hat at shows.
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 11:16:49 PM »

here's an article from the san francisco gate. The interviewer tells slash it sounds like snakepit. Slash also takes a little dig at axl.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/a/2004/06/06/PKGMJ6HP911.DTL&type=music

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POP QUIZ: SLASH

Aidin Vaziri
  Sunday, June 6, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because the world is so desperate for new material from the Guns N' Roses camp -- in any form -- the premiere album from rock super-group Velvet Revolver arrives under such intense security that journalists are allowed to hear the appropriately titled "Contraband" only over the phone before it hits stores this week. Made up of walking pharmaceutical miracle and former Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland and original GNR bassist Duff McKagan and guitar god Slash, the band plays Monday at the Warfield. We spoke to Slash.

Q: So I heard the album over the phone. It sounds just like Nickelback.

A: Oh, come on. I was in a bar in a hotel in London recently and the DJ played our song right after Nickelback and it's definitely nothing like that.

Q: Maybe you should have flown me out to London to hear it for myself.

A: I just wonder if they put the handset right up to the speaker or they have some way of hooking the phone up to the stereo.

Q: I think they take the phone, dip it in the toilet, scotch-tape it to an intern's forehead and then play it through his nose.

A: I have to talk to someone about that.

Q: Definitely. You don't want to see those reviews.

A: So far the feedback has been that it sounds like its own band. That's important. Obviously there's signature stuff from each guy that you could pick out, but as a collective record or product or whatever you call it, it should have its own sound.

Q: It mostly sounds like your old band. You know, Slash's Snakepit?

A: That's the first time I heard that one.

Q: Hey, have you been arrested recently?

A: Not quite. Almost. But not that I remember.

Q: What about Scott Weiland?

A: No. Out of everybody, I heard he was the most genuine rock 'n' roll singer around. This was just based on his voice alone.

Q: This is before something like his 847th drug bust.

A: That's not that big a deal. Everyone in this band has been strung out. We've all managed to function one way or another, although it's been difficult. He's an amazing singer, an amazing lyricist. He shows up every day and wants to work.

Q: Were you ready to bolt when Buckethead quit Guns N' Roses?

A: No. This whole thing with Buckethead just happened. I was amazed that anybody has hung in there with that band this long anyway.

Q: Don't you miss your old friend Axl Rose?

A: When you're dedicated and committed and tight with these other guys (in Velvet Revolver), this is not something that would be blown apart by something like (Buckethead leaving GNR). But before that ever started there were multimillion-dollar deals thrown at us original members of Guns N' Roses like there was no tomorrow to get back together. But it will never happen.

Q: Is that why you retired the top hat?

A: I didn't retire it. I just don't wear it in the context of this group. I still have it. We shot a video last week and I just took it with me for security, I guess. I had a desperate case of inhibition. That's where the whole top hat came from -- sort of, you can't see me and I can't see you. So I brought it with me. It's around. But in the context of this band, it just feels a little bit too predictable.

Aidin Vaziri is a freelance writer.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 11:27:07 PM by axls#2 » Logged

What Goes around comes around!
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 11:31:26 PM »

yeah, i read that. pretty rude interview. telling Slash they sound like Nickleback.  Roll Eyes what is UP with these fucking journalists?!  Angry
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 11:36:13 PM »

Not everyone likes VR as much some of their fans.  They are just a average band, they are nothing special.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 11:37:56 PM »

Not everyone likes VR as much some of their fans.  They are just a average band, they are nothing special.

More Dave, More!! Give us more!!! How about your Greatist Hits tonight? Pretty please with whipped cream and a cherry...
speed_stone
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 11:38:26 PM »

lol @ the nickelback referrance. funny. funny as well to hear slash mention buckethead's name.
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 11:53:00 PM »

that's a compliment for this album Cry

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 11:54:41 PM »

da pet
da pet
da pet is on fire!!!
speed_stone
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 11:56:18 PM »

lol, afraid so. this just cleares the way for chinese democracy... i'm prepared to wait my whole life for another guns n' roses album. just imagine, a whole new album with fucking axl rose on vocals. damn...
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 11:57:43 PM »

baggirl remember this

Dave and badgirl...I'm finding this whole back and forth between you two annoying so please take it to pm's or stay on topic.  

Undecided

thanks

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
speed_stone
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 11:58:21 PM »

that comment was not directed towards the comment above me, but the one above that.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 04:47:12 AM »

That guy was a ball buster for sure. hihi
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 05:07:02 AM »

That guy was a fuckin dickhead, i dont even see the point of him wasting slash's time with dumb fucked up questions

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 11:03:19 AM »

But before that ever started there were multimillion-dollar deals thrown at us original members of Guns N' Roses like there was no tomorrow to get back together.

this i thought was pretty fucking interesting... what did i miss? when was these deals offered? who talked to who about this? did it include Steven?  confused Huh

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2004, 12:49:27 PM »

is really Nickelback the worst band nowadays?  Huh
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2004, 02:16:25 PM »

whoah, what a shitty interview...!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004, 02:25:34 PM »

That guy was a fuckin dickhead, i dont even see the point of him wasting slash's time with dumb fucked up questions

So this interview was a waste of time with dumb questions but the maxim interview wasnt? The maxim interview was much worse than this one.

axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 12:35:55 AM »

So this interview was a waste of time with dumb questions but the maxim interview wasnt? The maxim interview was much worse than this one.

seems as if everyone is offended when a interviewer isn't kissing the ass of the person he's interviewing, this goes for axl fans and vr fans, actually fans of about anything, I find his approach refreshing though.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: