Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:32:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  I got Contraband - First in Australia! (?)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I got Contraband - First in Australia! (?)  (Read 3113 times)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« on: June 05, 2004, 02:44:27 AM »

The same music store that I got the Slither single from (before it officially was supposed to go on sale) was nice enough to sell me Contraband today (Saturday 5th June 4.00pm). So I think I'm the first in Australia to own the album!

Anyway, I won't write a full review yet, as I haven't listened to it enough to fully take it all in.  But my first impressions are: loud, heavy, aggressive, modern, different (I emphasize this word) and rocking. GN'R it certainly ain't, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

The album artwork is really cool too. And the full lyrics are included as well.

I'll post my review tomorrow sometime, but has anyone else in Australia got it yet?

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
bill213
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 03:09:28 AM »

hey awesome bro.....could you be a real bud and post the lyrics to Superhuman for ole Bildo since he doesn't want to wait till the 8th to get it.  I'd heavily appreciate it mister.  Thank you so very much.
sl@sh
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 04:14:32 AM »

i just got the cd today. im in LA,, usa.

i got the white version but inside the cover is black.
man this is a great album its not AFD but still a very good rock album!
so ya i got the album on friday but it goes on sale this tuesday. beer
im very happy that i got it because ill be at VR,s show this tuesday june 8 la , and i now know each and every song.vh1 /mtv clips dont do this album justice.
see ya all at the show  peace
eggers
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 04:42:06 AM »

yeah i got it saturday morning in south australia, i highly doubt you were the first in oz.
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 05:05:52 AM »

peace Im the first...LOL
Just kidding...im in vic Aust and i got it today as well,  sat morning and its very good...but ive only listened to it 1 time so far.. beer
But the best new i have is that my LOcal record store had over 20 copys on this stand where everyone could see it.....Its gonna enter the charts top 5 for sure.. ok ok
What colour album cover did u get??
I only saw one with the white cover so i got that..Mines white cardboard outside and black on the normal plastic cover.....
They had all red and black..i got the only white..LOL beer

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 12:50:41 PM »

I listened to the album in the car on my way out to the city tonight and also on the way back home and it certainly rocks cranked up loud!
That's my test of an album being good or not - if it sounds good cranked up in my car stereo, then it's definitely a good album, at least in my books it is!
I liken this album to Jane's Addiction's latest album Strays. It certainly is very groovy in parts amongst the heavy grinding guitars.

Just scanning through the inside of the album booklet and I noticed all the songs were written by the current line-up of the band except for Dirty Little Thing, which was co-written with Keith Nelson (Buckcherry).

I'll type out the lyrics for Superhuman tomorrow.
Anyone else have requests for me to type out the lyrics from other songs?

Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 09:14:10 PM »

V-R.com has the lyrics from the record up already.

Which color did u get?

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 05:07:37 AM »

Ok here's my Contraband review!

Like most everyone here on the boards, after first listen, my favourite songs on the album were the two singles - Set Me Free, Slither, and the ballads, but now the rockers have really grown on me.

Sucker Train Blues
Damn, could the album start any better??? I think not! ok
The riff that kicks in after the slow build up sounds like the one of heavy rockers straight off either UYI album. Scotts vocals chime in and sound reminicent of Garden of Eden and later turn into layered harmonies. Short but killer Slash whammy bar solo. A nice taste of what's to come.

Do It Fot The Kids
"Went too fast I'm out of luck and I don't even give a fuck!" Processed vocals like something you'd hear on a NIN album spoken by Trent himself. Turns into another riff-fest and one of the first big, catchy choruses with more cool hamonies. Sprinkles of Slash's leadwork throughout the song and a cool solo.

Big Machine
I don't care for the lyrics in the song, but that riff going on in the background of "It's a Big Machine, It's a Big Machine" won't leave my head. Probably my least favourite song, but still pretty cool.

Illegal I Song
Wickedly fast drumming intro and overall the song has a Jane's Addiction vibe - both the music and Scott's vocal delivery. Another catchy chorus filled with gorgeous vocals. Cool Slash solo too.

Spectacle
Sounds like the riff from Metallica's Fuel, but slowed down to an almost country-like twang, before it turns into even more cool vocal harmonies!
Slash'solo is longer and it's good, but nothing that we haven't heard before.

Fall To Pieces
Didn't think much of this at first listen, but I f**king love the song now. Could sit alongside any of the ballads on UYI. Sounds like an improved version of Back & Forth Again. It didn't show it's full potential with Snakepit, but with VR it has!

Headspace
Probably my favourite rock song on the album at the moment, such a f**king cool groove. More Jane's Addiction similarities and that's a really good thing.
I really dig all of Scott's vocals in the choruses. They really have a way of creeping into your head and you can't get them out!

Superhuman
Starts with a riff that sounds like the Sweet Child riff put through a blender and spat out 2004 style. Band kicks in and joins in on the groove based off the intro riff. And the chorus has gorgeous layered Alice In Chains harmonies as if Layne was there in the studio with Scott!

Set Me Free
An improvement on the already cool song from the Hulk soundtrack. This version sounds a little rawer and the bass and drums are harder and more prominent in the mix. Scott does some added vocals at the end of the song.

You Got No Right
Without a doubt, VR's shining moment on Contraband. Sounds like the Beatles in their prime and Slash's solo just proves why millions of guitarist aspire to being like the guitar god he is. You can really feel Scott's pain. This song is my new Estranged.

Slither
Enough has been said about this song. Loved it when I first heard the El Rey version, still love it now. Nuff said.

Dirty Little Thing
Another fast paced rocker much like Sucker Train, in fact it starts almost exactly the same and the vocal delivery is the same on the verses as it is in Sucker. Really cool chorus and probably the best Slash solo of any of the rock songs on here.

Loving The Alien
Two words: Pink Floyd. Very f**king cool. Really nice closer for the album. I can just picture the lighters swaying in the air when VR play this live.

All in all, this is not what I was really expecting, but after repeated listens you can't get the chorus melodies out of your head.
Scott, who I originally thought was the weak point if the band, actually saves allot of the songs with his choruses and harmonies. That may or may not be everyone's cup of tea, but give this album a chance to grow on you!

I'd probably give the album an 8 out of 10. Very nice first effort VR!

Oh yeah, I bought the black cover. It comes in a normal jewel case, but has a cardboard sleeve slip case over it. The cardboard cover shows the girl with the gun in her holster, but the actual booklet inside shows her with the gun pulled out.

metallex78
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 05:20:53 AM »

I got the album this morning! I won it on Triple M! Delivered to my house by a HOT Triple M chick!!!!

Sucker Train Blues is cool.. better than Slither!

VR is really growing on me!

Yeah, like I said, Sucker Train sounds like it could've come straight off the UYI records, apart from the vocals of course.

So you've been listening to MMM all weekend to win a copy of Contraband huh?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: