Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 08:08:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If CD is as bad as Contraband, I'll kill myself
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If CD is as bad as Contraband, I'll kill myself  (Read 35487 times)
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2004, 07:12:47 PM »

Man I absolutely will. Im getting it on to a cd as I write this, and will drive home listening to it. It will undoubtably sound better in my sound system I have in my car, so its a bit unfair to gauge it on its own merits until I hear it properly (and not on the computer). I will even have a bowl or two later and give it a listen proper like.

I strongly suggest you hit a bowl and take the long way home.  Listen to Contraband with the decibel levels up and give it two listens if you can before you get home.  Then come on here and give your honest review.  If you still don't care for it, so be it.  My guess is that you will grow to love it as I am/have.

-TyRod-
Layne420
Rocker

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2004, 09:08:10 PM »

As long as I don't see pop shit and rap on my tv Vr can keep coming. It's rock n  roll no need to argue over about it. It's gona be another year or two before Axl rolls out with something. Too bad he can't tour on the great hits album  yes

When there's no more water left
And no more air in our breath
What will this earth be worth?
Do you want war or peace?
Blood for oil greed
Won't feed, won't the hunger our need

FLOW
DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2004, 01:14:40 AM »

Contrabnd is killer from what I have heard....it pisses on any "Rock" music of today....VR make The Darkness look like a bunch of happy go lucky fags.....Contraband I hope puts RN'R back on the fucking map!

That is why I like The Darkness, they finally brought fun back to rock and roll. Happy-go-lucky is a million times better attitude to have than tortured soul IMO. And if you notice, the VR guys seem to be pretty happy-go-lucky when they are just talking.

Peter, wait unti you see VR on stage. I flew from Edmonton Alberta to Toronto to see them and it was incredible.

Slash never stopped smiling. He had a blast on stage, the vibe in the Kool Haus was inane. Matt was all smiles, did a little dance for us during the intro to "Used to Love Her. These guys where having as much fun on stage as we were in attendance. Worth every penny.

And I agree with you on "The Darkness" as well. This band did bring fun back,  their videos are awssome!

Cheers,

Blair

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2004, 01:07:31 PM »

In almost all cases, I am against downloading, previewing, "stealing" music, etc.  But in this case, I am thankful for having the opportunity to preview Contraband.  Had I of went to the store on June 8th, got Contraband, and put it in my car CD player, I probably would have gotten into a fatal car accident because of the shock!  The shock of how horrible and dissapointing it is.

LISTEN UP.

The only reason people think it's good is because they're comparing it to today's new and crappy music.  I don't compare music to today's music.  I compare music to good music.  Anything compared to today's music sounds better than today's music because today's music sucks.  But it doesn't mean the music being compared is good. Wink  Comparing music against good music is what you should settle for.  You shouldn't settle for music that sounds good compared to bullshit music.  Of course it's going to sound good in comparison.

Compare Contraband to any good music, and you'll see it that fucking blows.

Don't let the badness of today's music make you think crap music is actually good.  Re define your standards.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 01:08:50 PM by DRUNK » Logged
Imfuckincrazy
Headliner

Slash is God.

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2004, 01:11:04 PM »

Seriously people, I do not joke when I say this:? These guys are so burned out from drugs, that they have no idea what's going on.

Oh, so you say that Axl should take drugs in order to help him complete tours and such, because it's not harmful you see, but then Slash and co. release an album that you're not impressed with, and you say that drugs fucked them up? Roll Eyes Are you trying to be funny or are you really this stupid? Oh you're "not joking." That answers my question.

Thank GOD, if there is one, that Axl dropped these losers long ago.? Thank God.

Those "losers" left because Axl was an asshole. I'm glad they're rid of his (Axl's) ass too. Those "losers" are out there touring, and are releasing an album in just a few days. They're such losers, huh? I know, I know - too bad they can't be like Axl, who is sitting on his ass, not even capable of keeping a band together long enough to release shit because people are tired of kissing his ass, and not giving a shit about his fans enough to even bother to let us know he's even alive. Yes, they should strive to be like him.

These guys are completely incapable of writing good music, and it becomes clearer to me now how big Axl's role in the band actually was.

Incapable of writing good music?  That is so beyond stupid I won't even bother.

If Chinese Democracy comes out, and is as bad as this album, I will seriously end my own life.

In that case I almost wish it a failure. (But of course I don't.) What happens if it's never released? Perhaps cocaine will help to get you through your life as you wait. We'll just enjoy the "peice of unsinspired garbage."

then please leave Chinese Democracy in your vault.? I don't want to hear it.

IF he does intend on releasing CD, I don't think he is going to refrain from doing that because you don't want to hear it, even if your life did depend on it.

He's a genius that has the balls to take chances, and because of that, he'll succeed.

He's a genious, that much is true, but he doesn't have the balls to "take chances." If so, where is Chinese Democracy?

I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother, got a rattle snake suitcase under my arm
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2004, 01:29:33 PM »

The drugs thing is misinterpreted.  If Axl completed the tour, then that would have been good for the state of the band.  If he had to use coke to do that, then great.  Obviously you, and everyone else are looking too deep into the comments and it's quite annoying.  It was hypothetical and you're all taking it for real.
Slash and the rest of them are burned out from drugs.  It's obvious.  Using coke as something to help you get a tour done is more ok than using coke, heroin, booze etc to get FUCKED UP just to get fucked up, just Slash etc did.

Axl got rid of them on purpose.

Contraband+all their solo albums proves they are incapable of writing good music.  Not only is the music bad, but it surely doesn't come close to living up to the GNR name, which they were all a part of.  

He does have the balls to take chances.  He took the best band in the world apart and rebuilt it with the purpose of putting out music that lives up to the quality standards of the the GNR name.  That's a task no one would attempt, except Axl.
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2004, 02:07:11 PM »

Don't let the badness of today's music make you think crap music is actually good.  Re define your standards.

Better yet, completely forget "standards." Have an open mind and listen to whatever. Don't compare it to old music, good music, new music, or whatever. Listen to it, and if you like it, good. If you don't, good.

You obviously don't like it, DRUNK. And that is fine by me. Just do yourself a favor and stop talking. Saying something as insane as the Axl coke nonsense you just spewed out... it's just stupid.

DemocracyRose
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2004, 02:56:03 PM »

I have heard a few songs from Contraband.... This isnt that good... Weiland is not my type....
And why is all the songs been written by Weiland... That is a big dissapointment... and mistake by former GNR members. rant

They could have stayed with Axl, instead of being Weiland "studio-muscians" confused

jabba2
VIP

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2004, 03:41:42 PM »

I have heard a few songs from Contraband.... This isnt that good... Weiland is not my type....
And why is all the songs been written by Weiland... That is a big dissapointment... and mistake by former GNR members. rant

They could have stayed with Axl, instead of being Weiland "studio-muscians" confused

Im more of an STP fan but ill agree, Weiland was not in the right state of mind to be the sole writer of Contraband . Its by far his worst work ever, and it shows in many tracks. When he left STP, the band had deteriorated into arguments, drugs and fights. And when he joined VR, his creativity was obviously at an all-time low. With that said...the songs do sound much cooler live.
GnRNightrain
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2004, 03:52:21 PM »

and Silkworms kicks ass - its better than anything on the Velvet REVOLVER cd

all credibility lost
GnRNightrain
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2004, 03:57:16 PM »

I think if you try and compare scott to Axl, then he will never live up to it

However, dont let Scott's work (if you think it is bad) bring down the work of the others on this album.  I thought the instrumentals were great, and blow any instrumentals from the New GNR out of the water.  Compare the solos in the ballads or even the rockers to CD or the blues or Madagascar.  

In comparison of the two bands, it seems clear to me that the members of the original GNR win out, whether it is Axl vs Scott on Lyrics and vocals or Slash etc v. Buckethead etc.  At least from the New GNR songs that I have heard.

Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2004, 04:30:06 PM »

If your life is empty enough to kill yourself over a cd, you might as well go ahead and get it over with today.
Dizzy
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2004, 05:56:53 PM »

And why is all the songs been written by Weiland... That is a big dissapointment... and mistake by former GNR members. :

Scott Weiland wrote the lyrics and music for every song on Contraband?  I don't believe it.  Maybe he wrote all the lyrics, but I don't believe for a second he wrote all the riffs and other musical parts.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2004, 08:51:09 PM »

And why is all the songs been written by Weiland... That is a big dissapointment... and mistake by former GNR members. :

Scott Weiland wrote the lyrics and music for every song on Contraband?  I don't believe it.  Maybe he wrote all the lyrics, but I don't believe for a second he wrote all the riffs and other musical parts.

I think he came up with a lot of melodies as well.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Imfuckincrazy
Headliner

Slash is God.

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2004, 09:49:40 PM »

I think he came up with a lot of melodies as well.

I find that hard to believe... but if this is the case, people can't bitch about "This is not what I expected from Slash" etc etc...

I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother, got a rattle snake suitcase under my arm
SLCPUNK
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2004, 09:51:33 PM »

Better yet, completely forget "standards." Have an open mind and listen to whatever. Don't compare it to old music, good music, new music, or whatever. Listen to it, and if you like it, good. If you don't, good.

You obviously don't like it, DRUNK. And that is fine by me. Just do yourself a favor and stop talking. Saying something as insane as the Axl coke nonsense you just spewed out... it's just stupid.

Best post yet. Especially the first paragraph.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2004, 10:56:02 PM »

I think if you try and compare scott to Axl, then he will never live up to it

However, dont let Scott's work (if you think it is bad) bring down the work of the others on this album.  I thought the instrumentals were great, and blow any instrumentals from the New GNR out of the water.  Compare the solos in the ballads or even the rockers to CD or the blues or Madagascar.  

In comparison of the two bands, it seems clear to me that the members of the original GNR win out, whether it is Axl vs Scott on Lyrics and vocals or Slash etc v. Buckethead etc.  At least from the New GNR songs that I have heard.

no slc this is the best post right here, its dead on the money the best parts of both bands works have been the original members, which i guess is why GNR were the greatest band of all time

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
axlroselegend
Headliner

Irish Gunner

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2004, 07:00:49 AM »

hey to be honest i was pretty excited bout this vr album,rushed to my local hmv,picked it up and was ready to rock but after listening to it the first time i was beyond disappointed,these guys have been blowing their own trumpet for the last few weeks,comparing some of these songs to the likes of november rain...and before you jump in i think it is important that like all of us who say we shouldnt be comparing this to old gnr,vr themselves are doing this so to stand up to this comparision they have fallen very short.
it was almost a struggle to get through the album on first listen.80% of songs on contraband sound the exact same and what really disappointed me was that these are songs that i feel me and my band could write ourselves,and have written better,and dont get me wrong this is not a plug for my band who i will not mention,my point is that all old gnr used to blow me away...just amazing works of music...contraband doesnt come close.
ive listened to it a few times and there are maybe 4 songs that appeal to me,everything else seems to sound like it was a rush recording within the 2weeks they recorded it.
another disappointing thing for me not concerning music coz believe it or not i hope these guys do good but in ireland only virgin records and hmv are carrying the album,golden discs will only special order it(3rd biggest music chain in ireland...very often cheaper)no one else ie other record stores have even heard of vr which is kinda worrying for them
just my thoughts,interested in replys  peace
DarkSecret
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2004, 06:30:57 PM »

:Thank GOD, if there is one, that Axl dropped these losers long ago.  Thank God.  These guys are completely incapable of writing good music, and it becomes clearer to me now how big Axl's role in the band actually was.

Velevet Revolver proves that everything Axl has done has been RIGHT.  He's a genius that has the balls to take chances, and because of that, he'll succeed.  

if Axl had stuck with those losers, none of us would give a fuck about Axl or GNR today.  They would have ruined their legacy long ago.

Thank You

I'm sorry for myself for taking part in this but it brings some joy after all those arguments that GNR can't be called GNR anymore because there's no slash.........

yeah, vr don't seem to be the best, most excellent, most ass-kicking on the planet

God bless them anyway
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 06:51:02 PM by DarkSecret » Logged
K-Rock
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2004, 06:58:34 PM »

Music standards today??

I've got Beautiful Creatures & The Darkness in my cd player.......the best to roll along in over 10 years.

Now Velvet Revolver has surpased that with the best cd since 1987.

If CD is half as good as as Contraband, I'll be as happy as a pig in shit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: