Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 12:18:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Oh MY God is better than any rocker song off Contraband
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oh MY God is better than any rocker song off Contraband  (Read 35594 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2004, 06:46:37 PM »

Yeah, its so fantastic it just tore the charts up. In fact, the song got so big I chose to block out of my mind the millions of times I heard it played on the radio all those years ago. I mean poor Slither has had to settle for a number 1 video and #2 on the Billboard rock charts thus far. Compared to all that OMG accomplished I can't believe this wasn't posted earlier.  Thanks a ton for reminding me Riot Act, I almost forgot how huge OMG was back in the day because it really tore up the world of RnR.

Didnt you tell me in another thread that album sales and postion doesnt equal how good a song or album is?
Oh so now it does because it suppots your agrument?
I just love how people like operate.
You cant have it both ways.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 06:48:47 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2004, 06:54:21 PM »

Never said that, and I challenge you to find where I did. I was using such things as chart positions, musical countdown lists, and album sales as objective ways to compare music within genres, Remember? You ddidn't like that as a way of comparing CD to Appetite as the superior GNR album because you know that there is absolutely no way that CD will ever supplant Appetite in ANY of the areas I mentioned. YOu are the one who had to resort to subjective ways of measuring as a means of supporting your argument.  I know you thought you had me there, but seldom right and wrong again.

THe fact we have heard exactly zero other releases from GNR since then supports the notion that Axl realized OMG bombed, and that would not be a good direction to take the band. Had it taken off we would have had the album in 99 like was expected.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 06:56:43 PM by Naupis » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2004, 06:55:42 PM »

Oh my god was not even released as a single, so  how would it be able to chart on billboard? Hmmm

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2004, 07:13:54 PM »

OK, it was universally rejected by radio. Does that make you feel better? Most places tried to play it at least once or twice seeing as it was new Guns stuff before it was politely not asked back. It was what it was, a forgettable song that is still talked about only because it the only thing our favorite red head has released in 10 years. It didn't work so he went back to the drawing board......thankfully.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2004, 07:31:33 PM »

It didn't work so he went back to the drawing board......thankfully
"Once the opportunity was presented, the song was given priority in our recording process. -Axl....

I bring up the quote because it shows how stupid your theory on "GNr releases a techno/industrial song like omg and it fails so they go back to the drawing board"....The song was chosen becuase it fit that particular movie and soundtrack. It doesnt mean all their material was that type of stuff. People who have heard the album have said that all of that techno thoery shit is bullshit. The Pearl Jam drummer said it sounds more like AFD than anything else. ANd brian fukin may has said its as close to perfect as you can get. DO you think Brian May is a big fan of techno/industrial music?

So please stop boring me with the same old shit about overproduction/techno/this and that....do us all a favor....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2004, 07:44:33 PM »

I can find you a million different things Axl has said that contradict himself and aren't true. What do you think he's gonna say. The song didn't take off, of course he is going to play it off like it was a one shot deal. At the time though the leaving band members said that was the sound he was going for, and I think it is WAY more than coincidence that the album was scrapped in 99 after the song ended up not doing well. Something tells me he had lots more OMG songs and realized that movement had died and he went back to the drawing board. How else can you explain the complete lack of inactivity after 99 when the album was originally suppose to see the light of day. He had an albums worth of stuff done then, I guarantee you if OMG lights up radio stations that we see that album in 99.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and using Axl quotes to back up arguments is about as useful as Iraqi Dinars are right now. Not very, as the credibility of both is about nil.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2004, 08:00:49 PM »

The song didn't take off, of course he is going to play it off like it was a one shot deal.

That quote is from an MTV.com news story called Axl Speaks: Rose Sounds Off On New GN'R Track from September 1999. So he knew in advance nobody was gonna like it and he should change the direction?

Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2004, 08:07:26 PM »

Ok you got me....I messed up my dates a bit. Man enough to admit it, still doesn't change the end result which was a song generally not accepted by the masses....especially as a comeback song given nothing with the GNR name on it had been released in 5 years I would have expected better.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2004, 09:47:27 PM »

zack said when he heard Axls new stuff back in 99/2000 that it sounded like AFD on steriods.

Axl wanted the 3rd album to be all techno but he always intented CD to have a bunch of different styles on it.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2004, 10:02:35 PM »

I don?t really like either OMG nor Slither.But I like Slither waaayyyy much than OMG.I?m not saying OMG is a shit, it has some really good things, but I don?t get, I can?t feel the song, not my type at all.........

Baby Slash//

Thanks Slashy, I was genuinely surprised that someone named Slashy would prefer Slither to OMG>

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2004, 10:08:58 PM »

....especially as a comeback song given nothing with the GNR name on it had been released in 5 years I would have expected better.
Who ever said it was gnrs comeback song/single? It was a song for the soundtrack dude....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2004, 10:14:46 PM »

The only people that are still in the band that were on oh my god are Axl, dizzy and tommy.

Robin and brain were not even on it nor was BH and of coarse fortus was not. I dont even think pittman was it on.

Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2004, 10:19:23 PM »

I love Oh My God. I've owned 3 copies of the soundtrack because ive over played the track so much. Axl is genius on it.

Suckertrain Blues, Do it for the Kids, big Machine and Dirty Lil Thing are up there in my book. There not radio hits. They are the don't damn me's, the double talkin jives the its so easys of this record. Today given a choice between any song on contraband and oh my god, contraband wins but oh my god will always have a spot on my playlist

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2004, 10:29:34 PM »

....especially as a comeback song given nothing with the GNR name on it had been released in 5 years I would have expected better.
Who ever said it was gnrs comeback song/single? It was a song for the soundtrack dude....

confused

It had been 8 years since the last released original song...Soundtrack or not, that song was their "comeback".  Thats how it was hyped at the time, and thats what it was.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2004, 10:42:45 PM »

If I had to choose between a 2 Track CD with Silkworms and Oh My God on it, or Contraband...

Ah fuck, I think I'd have to flip a coin.

nervous
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2004, 11:04:23 PM »

It had been 8 years since the last released original song...Soundtrack or not, that song was their "comeback".  Thats how it was hyped at the time, and thats what it was.
How is one song not followed up with a video or album and tour considered a comeback?

FOr me Gnrs bell rings when they do things properly...release their 1st single/video,album, tour, additional single and videos...thats a comeback effort.

if it makes you happy that omg wasnt well recieved i could care less. Its still an aweosme songs and i havnt stopped playing it all of these years. ALong with the other new gnr songs..including silkworms which im listening to right now{vegas version} cool lil diddyy...

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2004, 11:12:03 PM »

That is the way you look at it YG, but to the general public that does not have a vested interest in GNr the way we do, that was viewed as a comeback/start of a comeback. It's failure to get people interested did not help the image of the band. Couple that with the VMA's and the failed tours/cancelled European tour and you start to see why people look at the band the way they do. The non-bias casual observer looks at the totallity of all of the comeback attempts and see nothing but failure, that is how we got to the point we're at. There is a specific reason behind why each thing happened didn't work out, but the general public isn't interested/doesn't care. All they know is it has been 13 years since an original GNR album and their have been many failures in between.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2004, 11:16:50 PM »

but to the general public that does not have a vested interest in GNr the way we do, that was viewed as a comeback/start of a comeback.
Fair enough but what does it mean exactely?

When gnr finally get the ball rolling and do what I mentioned above, will peopel automatically write them off because of OMG? Hell no. They dont even care about gnr. Theres some interest but not liek we have here. SO if the material is good people wont care. No1 will deny good music...

It's failure to get people interested did not help the image of the band. Couple that with the VMA's and the failed tours/cancelled European tour and you start to see why people look at the band the way they do. The non-bias casual observer looks at the totallity of all of the comeback attempts and see nothing but failure, that is how we got to the point we're at. There is a specific reason behind why each thing happened didn't work out, but the general public isn't interested/doesn't care. All they know is it has been 13 years since an original GNR album and their have been many failures in between.
Yes gnr pr wise have been a joke....but again if the material is good all that gets thrown out the window.....so although its a valid point now it iwll be meaningless if the album is what peopel like....

V
Headliner

The Fountainhead

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2004, 12:09:13 AM »

Yeah, its so fantastic it just tore the charts up. In fact, the song got so big I chose to block out of my mind the millions of times I heard it played on the radio all those years ago. I mean poor Slither has had to settle for a number 1 video and #2 on the Billboard rock charts thus far. Compared to all that OMG accomplished I can't believe this wasn't posted earlier.  Thanks a ton for reminding me Riot Act, I almost forgot how huge OMG was back in the day because it really tore up the world of RnR.

Oh.. A PUSSY!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE PUSSY!

So little pussy up there logs on the internet and looks at the charts. He assumes what's #1 is the best music out there, perfect for him. So he goes to his local store, and gets his perfect music for his un-perfect ass (cause, well, it is said by a huge number of people that no one's perfect, hey).

He goes back home, put his monster sound system up and running and booming, and listens to the wonderfull Velvet Revolver that kicks so much ass cause it's Rock and Roll baby, straight no fucking about Rock and Roll baby, such a dangerous band!

VR sucks, plain and simple. They blow. They sound like shit. They sound like air. I mean, air. Nothing. If one of their songs got played on my local rock radio, i wouldn't notice. Same as usual. Mary go round. Bubbles.

Great promotion tough... man those guy love their cash$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ That cunt Scott must need it to fullfill his heroin addiction.
V
Headliner

The Fountainhead

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2004, 12:16:40 AM »

i'm sorry
but OMG is NOT rock n roll at all.
it is so OVERPRODUCED. geez how many sounds did he put in it ?

VR is rock n roll.

Oh My God ROCKS. When i listen to it loud, i feel like moving the fuck.

Velvet Revolver, most of it BORES me. Like chewing gum: first 2 minutes you chew on it, it tastes kinda good, and looses it's flavor real fast.

But I KNOW (we're talking certainty here) that even in 20 years, i'll STILL be listening to 'Oh my God', and 'The Blues'.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: