Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:28:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228554 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  contraband review from entertainment weekly
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: contraband review from entertainment weekly  (Read 10964 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 03:34:19 AM »

Wow, now this is comedy.

Dave posts a review he found and instead of commenting on the review like most fans would do, you guys comment on his motives for posting it!

Some of you are really funny!  hihi

Next time one of you posts a positive article, maybe the rest of you can attack the poster by saying "well, if it was a bad review would you have posted it?".  ok

Anyone expecting Use Your Illusion III, though, will be in for a slight buzzkill. The songs suggest the pop grunge of Weiland's old band more than the careening overdrive of GN'R. Ironically, the album's most potent moments are its contemplative ones.

Not the first review mentioning that it sounds more like STP and that the slower stuff is better than the rockers.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2004, 03:40:09 AM »

I didn't think the review was horrible. But I can tell you that I knew going into it that it wouldn't be a good one. That was pretty obvious when I saw the DaveGnR2kIluvU posted it.  If it was a great review he wouldn't have wasted the time. Pretty pathetic and obvious.

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2004, 03:45:25 AM »

Wow, now this is comedy.

Dave posts a review he found and instead of commenting on the review like most fans would do, you guys comment on his motives for posting it!

/jarmo

It really isn't comedy. Everyone knows why he posted it and he isn't denying it. I am sure Dave has seen plenty of reviews on other boards that weren'y here yet and didn't post them. He damn sur ewould have if they were bad reviews though. The only other one he posted was one that somewhere in there said madagascar was better than some VR song or something. It's pretty obvious his motives and that' sfine. What I really think is funny is the ammount of time you spend defending this guy. It's very similar to his relationship with Axl...

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2004, 03:48:55 AM »

What I really think is funny is the ammount of time you spend defending this guy. It's very similar to his relationship with Axl...

Why do you think that is? It's because you VR fans can't seem to understand that "no insults" also covers Dave.

Next time you get attacked for posting a "bad" VR article, just let me know and I'll defend you too (unless you attacked the other poster first).  No need to be jealous. ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
RyanMFGs
Rocker

GN F'N R, MFGs

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2004, 03:53:46 AM »

Dave forgot to mention that the final grade the album was given was a

B-

which isn't negative at all, and considering the dick that wrote the review it's probably deserving of at least a B+... I guess we'll hear next week.

To think the one you love could hurt ya now, it's a little hard to believe.. but everybody darlin sometimes bites thehand that feeds.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2004, 04:07:35 AM »

Oh entertainment weekly doesnt count but maxim does? EW has much more cred than maxim
Oh its because maxim was postive right?   Roll Eyes

What is wrong with you bro?
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2004, 04:12:43 AM »

Dave forgot to mention that the final grade the album was given was a

B-

which isn't negative at all, and considering the dick that wrote the review it's probably deserving of at least a B+... I guess we'll hear next week.

HAHAHAHAH. I bet if it was anything lower than a C he wouldn't have "accidentally left it out.

Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2004, 05:12:57 AM »

Dave - why if you dont like VR do you post in this section?

On another note - i may start posting certain NewGn'R articles in the Guns N' Roses section every few days and see how it goes with the tables reveresed.

Riot In Everyone!
Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2004, 05:16:31 AM »

Wow, now this is comedy.

Some of you are really funny!  hihi

Next time one of you posts a positive article, maybe the rest of you can attack the poster by saying "well, if it was a bad review would you have posted it?".  ok

Anyone expecting Use Your Illusion III, though, will be in for a slight buzzkill. The songs suggest the pop grunge of Weiland's old band more than the careening overdrive of GN'R. Ironically, the album's most potent moments are its contemplative ones.

Not the first review mentioning that it sounds more like STP and that the slower stuff is better than the rockers.

/jarmo

Its not the fact he posted a review its the fact that he only ever posts bad reviews or comments - fair enough thats his view, but why constantly do it in the VR section of the board where he knows nobodys gonna agree with him. I dont go over to the Gn'R section and make threads like "Boycott Axl"(I dont know how the Boycott Contraband thread didnt break the "Attention seekers don't bother posting here.
If you're only here to start fights, you will get banned sooner or later." rule) , "NewGn'R are medicore at best" etc.etc. Simply because its bound to cause pointless trouble. (And the fact i dont agree with any of those thread titles Wink)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 05:24:34 AM by Lineker10 » Logged

Riot In Everyone!
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2004, 08:25:31 AM »

perfectly said!

I don't think they would appreciate it over there if we kept digging for bad newgnr articles and make posts about how mediocre newgnr is. How Axl is the whole band. How Finck has never wrote a hit before. How VR sweeps the floor with newgnr. But it seems we have the right to.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2004, 08:46:24 AM »

"Anyway Dave you avoided my post below, i'll post it again & i want you to answer it & confront reality"

After I read dickhead I just stopped reading.
Maybe if you can post like an adult I actually might read your whole post and know you even had a question.

As for me posting this review, i found a review that was online and i posted it, its funny no one else posted this review, is that because its was not a glowing review?

Id say so.
Also, I find it funny that back during the 2002 tour for gnr when they got bad reviews for one of their shows it was ok to post that but now that VR gets a so so review its bad to post it?

VR fans keep showing their true colors and how petty and sad they really are.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2004, 09:54:18 AM »

2 people I hate on this board... dave-gnfnr2k (for being biggest asshole I've ever seen) and jarmo (for defending that asshole like a blind man)  Roll Eyes
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2004, 09:56:09 AM »

Uh-Oh everyone, Dave is just "Fucking with our heads again" because it is just so easy to do to us VR fans. We should just let him be because he is obviously a very tortured individual given that he is incapable of supporting both bands and getting quality music from two bands. He instead chooses to hate VR and wait for an album that most likely will not see the light of day anytime soon. See, the difference between Dave and 99% of the posters here is they are going to buy Contraband and enjoy VR.....and will still buy CD the second it comes out if and when that happens and Love GNR. Dave has to force himself to hate VR just because in his mind his imaginery friend AXl has told him to do so. Its his loss, when everyone here next week is rocking out to Contraband he will just be looping Estranged for the 4 millionth time and telling himself that "Chinese Democracy starts NOW....ROUND 2"......thats all fine and dandy, but in the meanwhile we will all be enjoying new music, and still have the benefit of loving GNR when they come out....its the best of both worlds. Sadly he does not seem to understand that such allegiance to two bands is possible.  
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2004, 10:20:34 AM »

Yet even at its sharpest, Contraband feels secondhand, and much of it is also hobbled by a disconnect between singer and band
This is basically the biggest problem I see with this band/album. Scott is an excellent frontman and I have absolutely no problem with how he looks, and all that other shit. BUt after hearing the majority of the studio album I have to say it seems as if he cant keep up with slash/duff/matt.
On certain songs, particularly the ballads its like they made some great music but Scott kinda doesnt put it over the top. Its kinda hard to explain. Songs like FTP, LTA, and some of SH. It just seems as if Scott is in the wrong band because the talent that duff/matt/and slash bring is much greater than what Scott has brought.

The rockers are ok. To me thy dont show this as much because its all the same kinda stuff. But the ballad type songs except for YGNR seems liek it could have been better.

As for Dave. We all know hes gonna point out negative VR stuff. BUt so what. Why get on him. He allowed to do that. Just comment on the reviews. Hes going about it in the worng way but all hes showing you is that its been the same thing on the gnr board over the past few yrs. People would constantly talk shit, start rumors, bash,and only point out the negative articles and if you defended them you would be a loyalist. And that would go on for yrs. You people here attack the poster which is gay. but whatver

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2004, 10:35:17 AM »

2 people I hate on this board... dave-gnfnr2k (for being biggest asshole I've ever seen) and jarmo (for defending that asshole like a blind man)  ::)

Uh oh, now I won't be able to sleep.  :'(

That's an attack on both Dave and me, you should be banned for that but I don't give a fuck what you think of me. Personally I don't even hate you since I don't know you.

You haven't been paying attention!

There's plenty of people who will post negative articles about Axl if they find one. Then there are people who will post whatever they find (good or bad) and then there are people who ignore all bad articles and only post the good ones.

I'll lock this since you guys aren't interested in the review.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 10:36:58 AM by jarmo » Logged

sandman
Legend

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2004, 01:46:24 PM »

fair review in my opinion. not everyone is gonna like it.

and this proves that reviewers are not giving VR a "free ride" to spite axl....as some on this board have hinted at.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: