Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 09:43:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228557 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash can't compare VR with anything
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash can't compare VR with anything  (Read 15788 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: May 31, 2004, 12:16:45 PM »

Source:  Blabbermouth
http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=23112

SLASH can't compare VELVET REVOLVER with Anything

MuchMusic recently caught up with VELVET REVOLVER and asked the group, with their previous successful bands, how this project compares. Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash responded, "What we're doing right now, from the second that it started and now that we're finally touring and getting onstage, I can't compare it to anything. Even in my old days when GUNS was still cool, which was a great time in my life ? which anyone would give their left/right limb, or even their dick, [or] whatever for. And the people ? even Duff who I've known forever, it's like a new relationship. It's very explosive and fulfilling. It's like twenty thousand orgasms rolled into one." Former STONE TEMPLE PILOTS frontman Scott Weiland added, "Music is like the soundtrack, the energy of life, for musicians anyway. I think that music is the soundtrack for human beings. I believe in my heart that rock 'n' roll, for people like us, is the energy that fuels us. It's a volatile mix that creates a chemical reaction and that just inspires me to do anything." Check out a transcript here:  

http://www.muchmusic.com/insidemuch/stuff/reloading_the_rock_with_velvet_revolver.asp

We hit the Velvet Revolver press conference and got the dirt on the band that brings together three past members of Guns 'N' Roses ? Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum, together with former Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland and ex-Wasted Youth axeman Dave Kushner.

So, how did a group of musicians from some of the hottest bands that rocked us in the 90s find a frontman to help them unleash their renewed lust for Rock N' Roll fury?

Matt Sorum: Slash, Duff and I have obviously played together before and there is a chemistry that is undeniable. The power and energy brought us back together.

Dave Kushner: The four of us had time to get comfortable with each other, then Scott came in the room [and] we were like 'This is the guy!'

Scott Weiland: I just wanted to be in a rock band with people that want to f**king do it, and go out there and be in a f**king rock band

When the opportunity arose, it just ended up giving me that kinda feeling that I [had when I] formed my first band ? and that was just way too exciting to pass up. That was what it was all about. It was like falling in love.

They've all been in successful bands before, so how does this compare?

Slash: What we're doing right now, from the second that it started and now that we're finally touring and getting onstage, I can't compare it to anything. Even in my old days when Guns was still cool, which was a great time in my life - which anyone would give their left/right limb, or even their d*ck, [or] whatever for. And the people - even Duff who I've known forever, it's like a new relationship. It's very explosive and fulfilling. It's like twenty thousand orgasms rolled into one.

Duff: Slash and I met when we were 19 years old and we've basically been connected at the hip since. Now, the 5 of us share that unity.

Scott: Music is like the soundtrack, the energy of life, for musicians anyway. I think that music is the soundtrack for human beings. I believe in my heart that Rock 'N' Roll, for people like us, is the energy that fuels us. It's a volatile mix that creates a chemical reaction and that just inspires me to do anything.

Is a younger generation thirsty for Rock N' Roll?

Duff: I have the unique perspective of [recently] going to university. Kids would come up to me - and it was like they were ripped off. 'Our generation doesn't have a rock band. We don't have Rock N' Roll.' They're buying records that are 10-20 years old cause they don't have anything. So there is this whole new generation that is just starving for something that is pure.

With the advent of [record label] mergers, labels are owned by huge umbrella corporations with stockholders. [In the past, labels] could nurture a band album by album and build up a band. You couldn't do that from 1995 on. You had to have an album that sold a million copies out of the box or you're gone. That, in turn, made all of these pop paint-by-numbers f**king bulls**t garbage. That is what was spoon-fed to a whole generation. There will be revolt at some point. There will be change. Music is about passion and it gives you hope and all kinds of things. It gives you your own special thing when your boss is being a f**king a**hole or when you're getting beat up at school.

Slash: I think most kids would rather get beat up at a rock concert than at school. The think is that music is about a sense of freedom. When the corporate f**kers get a hold of it, all of a sudden it becomes very contained, predictable and loses expression and honesty.

Matt: There is such a resurgence of Rock 'N' Roll. A lot of people missed that part of their lives. A younger audience seems to want that and that's what we have to offer.

So what would these rock gods tell fans who look up to them and want to follow in their footsteps?

Scott: Musicians have a general respect for each other. It doesn't really matter who's on a higher pedestal ? there's a giving and sharing of information and general respect.

Slash: Our biggest thing is that we look up to each other. [We want to] always be growing and not get stagnant. That is something we have to do for ourselves. For anyone looking up to us, all that they can do is be true to themselves as far as being an artist is concerned."

Matt: We're inspired by new bands - like Queens Of The Stone Age. They're a great band that came along and actually kicked Rock 'N' Roll in the ass again. They brought back music we needed to hear. It's also nice to hear Jet. I think a lot of problems with younger bands are that they try to emulate one band. They'll want to be the next blink-182. If young musicians listen to more than one thing, they'll stand out.

VELVET REVOLVER's debut album, "Contraband", is due on June 8 through RCA Records.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 03:48:50 PM »

When guns was still cool?
Another bash on axl eh.

Slash is such a pissant.
The new gnr is much cooler than VR esp if gnr can get BH back.

Well lets see when VR play the VMAs and see if they can get a bigger pop than the so called un cool new gnr did when they played it.
I doubt it.

Also how is gnr uncool, the GHs is still selling a shit load of copies a week and gnr is in heavy rotation on the radio.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 04:14:02 PM »

Another bash on axl eh.

Slash is such a pissant.

Well lets see when VR play the VMAs and see if they can get a bigger pop than the so called un cool new gnr did when they played it.
I doubt it.

Also how is gnr uncool, the GHs is still selling a shit load of copies a week and gnr is in heavy rotation on the radio.

Dave... Slash knows everyone in the GNR organization better than you ever will.

Learn this: You will probably never meet Axl. If you do, he'll do no more than say hi to you.

Slash was best friends with all the GNR guys, and I think he is FAR more qualified to comment on the state of GNR than you are. You act like you're axl's best friend and you have some mutual understanding...

Just remember that the VR guys know Axl better than you ever will, and they understand what's going on behind the scenes WAY better than anyone on this board.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 04:15:24 PM »

I am sure we don't need to get into this more. But you do know that greatest hits contains all old GNR material and thats what people love. And the huge pop at the VMA's was because no one had seen them in like 10 years and half the people in that crowd probably had no idea it was an all new band. To non-GNR loyalists like the people on this board....all people remember is Axl being out of breath and not looking like himself. Hardly the stuff of legend. And dave, in terms of coolness VR portrays a much coller image than NEW GNR. That has nothing to do with the music they put out, but just look at the guys and they just epitomize rock and roll. You need to get off the whole GNR is better thing right now because they have no bucket, no album and no prospects to be touring any time soon. When they both have material out we can sit hear and argue till were blue in the face, until then it is nothing but speculation on your part about how the album might sound and it is just ridiculous.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 04:29:42 PM »

GNR's downward spiral of uncoolness started with UYI and officially ceased the first time "Smells Like Teen Spirit" aired on MTV...It's that simple.  Anyone who's in denial about this fact needs to read their musical history book.

As long as Axl chooses to call his musical extravaganza Guns N Roses, his fans must learn to live with the uncool perceptions that come along with it.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 04:56:26 PM »

until then it is nothing but speculation on your part about how the album might sound and it is just ridiculous.
We do have a few songs and tommy has talked about it once before...it touches on a lot of different elements of old Guns N' Roses in some ways; in other ways it touches with more current-sounding music." He also lauds Rose's lyrics, which he says are "a lot deeper" than on previous GNR releases."For a GN'R record, it's pretty diverse. It's not straight down the rock 'n' roll road. It's all over the place, in a good way. It has a little bit of everything - the old Guns N' Roses vibe, ballads, a couple of pop songs."
Tommy on Axl's singing on the album -- On "Chinese Democracy," Rose delivers "more soulful singing," Stinson said. "You really get to hear some different tones in his voice which don't lend themselves to traditional bluesy riff-rock. And the lyrics are a lot more in-depth, with deeper sentiment and emotion than some of the earlier stuff"

So we atleast have an idea

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 05:00:17 PM »

Another bash on axl eh.

Slash is such a pissant.

I doubt it.

Dave... Slash knows everyone in the GNR organization better than you ever will.

Learn this: You will probably never meet Axl. If you do, he'll do no more than say hi to you.

Slash was best friends with all the GNR guys, and I think he is FAR more qualified to comment on the state of GNR than you are. You act like you're axl's best friend and you have some mutual understanding...

Just remember that the VR guys know Axl better than you ever will, and they understand what's going on behind the scenes WAY better than anyone on this board.

I don't act like anything but just listen to what tommy, fortus, robin, brian may, josh freese all have said about working with Axl. It is the total opposite of what slash says.  So what do you have to say about that? And dont say its because Axl is paying them since its bullshit. May was never in Gnr and Freese was and Freese had nothing but nice things to say about axl and how easy he was to work with. His only complaint was axl was taking too long with putting out the album and that is why he left.

Also I dont see how I cant comment if gnr is still cool or not.
Or do I or other fans have to know the band members personally to be able to make that decision?

GNR's downward spiral of uncoolness started with UYI and officially ceased the first time "Smells Like Teen Spirit" aired on MTV...It's that simple.  Anyone who's in denial about this fact needs to read their musical history book.

As long as Axl chooses to call his musical extravaganza Guns N Roses, his fans must learn to live with the uncool perceptions that come along with it.

I disagree totally.  During 91-93 the "teen spirt era" gnr sold more albums and sole out more shows at bigger venues than nirvana ever did. So tell me how their downward spiral started in that era. The UYI tour from those years is still one if not still the biggest tour of all time. I think its you that needs to real your musical history book.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 05:04:11 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 05:07:01 PM »

What do you expect Slash to say?

That his new record isn't any good and that Snakepit was far more fun than VR?  Tongue

Every artists always says their latest album is their best one. Why would they keep doing it if they felt nothing is as good as it was in the past?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 05:15:48 PM »

I disagree totally.  During 91-93 the "teen spirt era" gnr sold more albums and sole out more shows at bigger venues than nirvana ever did. So tell me how their downward spiral started in that era. The UYI tour from those years is still one if not still the biggest tour of all time. I think its you that needs to real your musical history book.

"Cool" doesn't equal record sales or venue size.  Mass appeal dimishes the very perception.  By your logic, I suppose you deem NSYNC "cool".

"Cool" (in this sense) equals musical and social relevence, influence on the way people think and how the band is viewed by generations that follow.

UYI era GNR ain't cool, they weren't then, they sure as hell aren't now.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 05:30:41 PM »

No, the "cool" factor was gone during the Illusion era, but now?  I don't know if I agree, things always look better in retrospect and looking back there were a lot of cool things about that big, messy, monstrosity of a  tour.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 05:46:37 PM »

No, the "cool" factor was gone during the Illusion era, but now?  I don't know if I agree, things always look better in retrospect and looking back there were a lot of cool things about that big, messy, monstrosity of a  tour.

Even in retrospect (for me) there's absolutely nothing cool (or endearing for that matter) about that era of GNR.  Biker shorts, back up singers, horns, drum solos, Duff singing, biker shorts, 10 minute songs, Izzy leaving, biker shorts...et al.

E-gads.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 05:50:30 PM »

10 minute songs

whats the problem with that?
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 05:57:43 PM »

Even in retrospect (for me) there's absolutely nothing cool (or endearing for that matter) about that era of GNR.  Biker shorts, back up singers, horns, drum solos, Duff singing, biker shorts, 10 minute songs, Izzy leaving, biker shorts...et al.

E-gads.

I love people like you. You would bash Axl if CD only sold a million copies yet if he sold 5 million you would say record sales dont mean anything and bring up the N Synch thing.

The 10 min songs gnr played are some of their best if not some of the best songs of all time (nov rain, coma, estranged). Yeah I guess Zepplin really sucks with all their ten min songs right?

Now you are bashing Axl for wearing biker shorts, well did you see what Scott is wearing at the VR songs? I dont think that is cool either. Also Axl wearing sports jeserys is not cool either eh? So no matter what axl wears it wont be cool to you right?  Not that what someone wears makes them cool.

As for the back up singers and horn section, blame slash for that one since it was his idea to do so.

I guess the how ever many million people that saw the UYI tour did not think it was cool.
Just because you dont think its cool does not mean it wasnt.

The UYI albums together are still one of the best albums ever, and they are better than AFD (IMO of coarse).

But like i said Gnr are still cool today just look at the GHs and look at the pop gnr got at the VMAs.

But I will ask  you, what makes something cool in your eyes, I am just curious.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 05:59:28 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 05:59:13 PM »

10 minute songs

whats the problem with that?

Just personal taste.  

Along with that, in a live setting, they just kill the momentum and flow of the show.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 06:31:39 PM »

I love people like you. You would bash Axl if CD only sold a million copies yet if he sold 5 million you would say record sales dont mean anything and bring up the N Synch thing.

What does that have to do with UYI era GNR?

The 10 min songs gnr played are some of their best if not some of the best songs of all time (nov rain, coma, estranged). Yeah I guess Zepplin really sucks with all their ten min songs right?

Again, that's your opinion.  As for Zep, ask Steve Jones if he thought their long winded stuff was cool...

Now you are bashing Axl for wearing biker shorts, well did you see what Scott is wearing at the VR songs? I dont think that is cool either. Also Axl wearing sports jeserys is not cool either eh? So no matter what axl wears it wont be cool to you right?  Not that what someone wears makes them cool.

Do you actually consider biker shorts ( in any form or fashion) in good taste?  You do, don't you! That explains alot..

I digress..

If you'll check my post history, I stated (more than once) Scott might need to do a rethink on his wardrobe.  My opinions on bad concert attire are hardly Axl specific...

As for the back up singers and horn section, blame slash for that one since it was his idea to do so.

So?  Whoever's idea it was, it was bad one.  Slash, Duff, Matt, Gilby, Earl, Izzy, Stephanie Seymour, Axl, the entire lot of 'em for all I care.

I guess the how ever many million people that saw the UYI tour did not think it was cool.
Just because you dont think its cool does not mean it wasnt.

I was one of those millions and knew from the second I walked in they'd lost any aura of cool they'd once had.  It wasn't hard to realize, they'd just lost it.

The UYI albums together are still one of the best albums ever, and they are better than AFD (IMO of coarse).

That time period of GNR (not just Axl) and those albums were exactly what made them uncool.  (in my opinion of course.)

But like i said Gnr are still cool today just look at the GHs and look at the pop gnr got at the VMAs.

And look at the half empty arenas they played to thereafter..

But I will ask  you, what makes something cool in your eyes, I am just curious.

In musical terms, something that extends beyond the music itself. Something that has relevence beyond the specific arena it's associated with. Something that makes people have different views and look at things in a different light.  Something that influences social perceptions at the time and musical perceptions of the future.

Basically, everything GNR wasn't during the UYI era.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 06:49:11 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Dizzy
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2004, 07:28:42 PM »

Another bash on axl eh.

Slash is such a pissant.

I doubt it.

Also how is gnr uncool, the GHs is still selling a shit load of copies a week and gnr is in heavy rotation on the radi

Dave, if I may, I'm going to borrow one of your favorite phrases.

Get a clue.

What Slash meant by "when GNR was still cool" is the time when relations between the band members was still cool.  It had absolutely nothing to do with the music that GNR created or even any music Axl may release with his new band.

As usual, you manage to twist anything Slash says to an insult against Axl.  It's that delusional "the world is out to get Axl" attitude that is so pervasive in every post you make.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2004, 07:34:11 PM »

In musical terms, something that extends beyond the music itself. Something that has relevence beyond the specific arena it's associated with. Something that makes people have different views and look at things in a different light.  Something that influences social perceptions at the time and musical perceptions of the future.

But you're here daily on a GnR message board 10 years later man, you couldn't have thought it was that bad.  It obviously affected you.  

What I think about the tour now, is how it's become a kind of myth, rock n roll excess to the max.  The lateness, the riots, the rants, the fights, and occasionally a blistering set where Axl (and the others) were able to light a fire under an arena audience, not many can do that.   The models, the parties, the jet, it all just seems more exciting than your standard fare today, and the self-imposed minimalism that bands inflicted on themselves after that to be considered "cool".  

And the biker shorts....um, they were unique.  But that's what is interesting about that, no one else would wear that, then and now and he just didn't care.  The kilts, cowboy hats, colorful leather jackets, mesh shirts, the Axl sneakers he was just looked like some deranged superhero up there.  And look at Justin Hawkins and Karen O today, there is always a place for the outlandish in public consumption.  

So it may not have been socially relevant, but it's a hell of a story, a spectacle, a tragedy and a triumph and that's kind of cool.  

St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2004, 07:47:01 PM »

I think when he said "when GN'R were cool"  I think he meant cool as in the good old days  when they were all getting on and they were all working together.  

I think once again it's just a case of certain fans looking into things too much.  

I have to say i love the UYI tour/era i think it stands the test of time too.  Every new bootleg i buy from that tour i just get more and more into them and excited by the different performances.

Although i will admit it wasn't so cool to be into them by '93 -i would say. I was at school at the time i would fight the GNR corner lol. Against the  People were getting more into Soundgarden and Nirvana ect but were starting to turn away from GN'R .

GN'R were turning back into a cultish kind of band again which is cool.  If you think about it, that is what has kept them cool, relevant and why they can shift millions of  GH's despite a weak song selection and no releases since that period.

The 10 minute epic argument.  There are only a few artists who can pull it off with such greatness and for GNR it's a kind of signature thing.  It's part of of their greatness.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 07:53:22 PM by St.heathen » Logged

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2004, 07:58:17 PM »

GN'R were turning back into a cultish kind of band again which is cool.

I think that's true.  
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2004, 08:05:19 PM »

Another bash on axl eh.

Slash is such a pissant.

I doubt it.

Also how is gnr uncool, the GHs is still selling a shit load of copies a week and gnr is in heavy rotation on the radi

Dave, if I may, I'm going to borrow one of your favorite phrases.

Get a clue.

What Slash meant by "when GNR was still cool" is the time when relations between the band members was still cool.  It had absolutely nothing to do with the music that GNR created or even any music Axl may release with his new band.

As usual, you manage to twist anything Slash says to an insult against Axl.  It's that delusional "the world is out to get Axl" attitude that is so pervasive in every post you make.

Dizzy you have no clue what you are talking about.
What slash said was a dig at Axl and you cannot even try to say otherwise.

If slash meant what you are saying, slash would have said when it was still cool to be in gnr but he did not. HE said when Gnr was still cool.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: