Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:24:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228555 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Philly review!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Philly review!  (Read 6971 times)
Gunner17
Rocker

What we got here is...

« on: May 29, 2004, 01:47:54 AM »

1:35 AM here, just got back.....And let me tell you, the show was better than I expected.

My friends and I showed up around 9:25 (fuck that opening band) and actually pushed up right awway to about 20 feet away. When the show started I got to the 3rd "row" of people from the rail, my one friend got on the rail, and got a pick from Duff and a drumstick from Sorum at the end (tall kid in the orange shirt for those who were there) If you are looking at the estage I was on the left side, about 5 feet from the middle...Tall, mini frowish hair with a tight Penn State blue shirt on...Just in case someone saw me.

Anyway, the set list was the same...You couldn't hear Scott too well at times, especially with the megaphone.  But really, the crowd didn't care. No one did. It wasn't that they didn't wanna hear Scoot sing...It was just that everyone was so pumped up, the entire time too. And the band's attitude was awesome. They fucking knew they were rockstars and played their asses off. Slash/Scott really took the show.

At one point people started chanting "Axl sucks" and Slash came to the mic and said "Hey, come on, who started that? I bet it was you" and pointed to someone in the front row. Duff came on later and said he would rather hear a Scott rocks chant.

But the really funny point of the night was when Slash came on the mic and said something along the line, "So I heard some of you went this concert in Philly one time, but then the band didn't show up <laughs and cheers>...But really, that isn't us...That is over and this is what we are. I fucking love playing here and that's why we are here"
I loved that he mentioned the 2002 GnR Philly no show...especially since I was there and still have a bitter taste in my mouth about it.

Scott came out with the shiney pants from the Slither video (I think) some kind of police type hat and aviators...In all seriousness he did kinda look like Axl in the beginning. He came out with such force on the first song...The whole band did, and I can't stress enough how they carried that power throughout the entire show.

Duff has an orange shirt on that said "operation" something? Dave was wearing a hat w/ a blue shirt, and Slash had the leather pants, white t-shirt, dogtags, and jean jacket.....And the fucking top hat was on for the 2 songs of the 1st encore.

This was an amazing show. Slash was on his knees ripping solos 5 feet away from me. This is what I have been waiting for for years, ever since I bought Appetite for Destruction 7 years ago. I loved every minute of this night, and it's something I will never forget. They put on one hell of a show.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 02:17:30 AM »

Just got back...and Im heading back out, so Im going to keep it relatively brief.

I want to start by apologizing to Dizzy...I actually saw you walk by while I was waiting in line, but I didnt even realize it until you were halfway down the block...The line was pretty damn long at that point.  I was glad to see you made it though... ok

The show was just incredible, as I expected.  I was at the very front of the right stage, about 9 or 10 (maybe less) feet away from Slash, and the whole entire experience was simply surreal.  I remember reading that Slash sometimes drools whyile playing, and I think its true.  Its possible that it was sweat (it was puring from his hair), but it looked like spit to me.  That man is focused.  

I was a little annoyed by the audiences pushing and being generally cramped up...but its a rock and roll show, so I accepted it.  The energy was unbelievable, quite a few crowd surfers, especially toward the end.  I was also shocked at how many hot females were in attendance...

The band sounded great, however like many have noted, its extremely loud and Scotts vocals are unintelligble for most of the performance.  My ears are still ringing.  Sad  Because of this, its impossible for me to say anything about the new songs, other than they rock very hard.  "Fall To Pieces" was obviously the most audible song of the night, and I liked what I heard a lot.  

"Suckertrain Blues" sounded great.  Awesome intro on that one.  "Illegal I" was one of the highlights.  Incredibly heavy riffs and Matts machine-gun drumming on it is  Shocked.  

"Slither" owned the night.  The absolute highlight of the evening was when the riff kicked back in after the second breakdown - the place just exploded.  Everybody was singing along to it, moreso than any other song of the night.  "Sex Type Thing" was highlight #2.  Scott had the whole building clapping along.  "Its So Easy" got a big reaction too.  "Set Me Free" was spectacular.  One of the great moments of the show was the band forming a circle during that song, as if they were a league of superheros about to combine forces or something.  Seeing Slash and Dave take center stage in what seemed almost like a guitar duel was similarly awesome.  Other huge responses included "Crackerman" and the top hats appearence.

Right before "Used To Love Her," the inevitable "Axl sucks" chant broke out.  Slash took center stage, grabbed the mic and playfully told the crowd "Hey!  Shut up!"  He pointed to a guy and the front and said "You probably started that one!"  He was very cool about the whole thing, saying "I just got word that you guys kinda got screwed, but thats not us.  We really like being here."  He said something to the effect of VR not having anything to do with all of that, "...so just let it go.  But were about to play something that kinda is by them...but no more about the Redhead."  You have to hear the audio, because Im only paraphrasing.  He handled it in a very cool way.

The whole band was great.  Slash was Slash.

Scott was amazing.  Hes relentless on stage and endlessy interesting to watch.  Several times he would come right up to the railing and hold onto the fans while singing.  He was extremely engaging, doing all of the writhing/dancing/humping that weve come to know and love/hate.  I actually wished he would have done more talking (his short interludes consisted merely of "This is music to fuck to!," except for "Fall To Pieces," which he described as a sad story with a happy ending.)  He did some sucking up to Philly, as did Slash and Matt - both saying that it was definitely one of their most anticipated shows, Philly has the best crowd and they love playing there.  "Crackerman" was introduced as a "song by...Marilyn Manson."  Theres little question in my mind that all things considered, right now, Scott Weiland is the best rock frontman out there.

Duff was extremely fun to watch.  It wasnt hard to tell how much he enjoyed what he was doing, smiling at everybody he looked at.  He threw a couple picks out...I unfortunately missed one by millimeters.  Slashs picks were pilered right off the head of his guitar, Matt gave out drumsticks...You could see the passion in every one of those guys faces.  They truly invested everything in their playing.

Dave Kushner is always overlooked, for obvious reasons, but theres no knocking his playing or presence.  Hes great - running and bouncing around all over the stage and generally just rocking hard.

Matt ended the show by banging his gong.

An excellent show and everything I expected.  Sorry for not going more into detail about the new songs, but its just impossible to form any opinions on songs Im completely unfamiliar with, in that setting. Between the surreal experience of being feet away from these guys, being caught up in the moment, insane volume, muffled vocals, etc. etc... the new material, except for the ballad, was mostly just a blur.  I will say that on a strictly superficial level, I liked what I heard.

Now Im hoping to see these guys in arenas...Id love to see them live, with better sound and without hundreds of sweaty overzealous guys cramped up and pushing.  However, I appreciate the experience of seeing them in such an intimate venue.  Its certainly not a common thing to see guys of that sture performing in such small venues, and they couldnt have gone about this whole tour in a better way.  Im stunned theyve made it this far.  A few months ago, I never thought these guys touring so soon was even a possiibility.  And when it did become a possibility, I was extremely doubtful it would become a reality...I never thought Sccott would pull it off.  Im thankful that he did, and hope that he and the band continue their success.

Hmm...that wasnt brief at all.   beer
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 02:30:58 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
EstrangedNightrain
Opening Act

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 02:23:23 AM »

Excellent show!!!!  I saw them in NY too and both shows kicked ass. Really can't wait for the album.  It was cool how Slash mentioned the 2002 Philly thing and then he said we'll play a little something from our past, Used to Love Her.  They  were on, every song, so much energy.  This was the fourth time Ive seen Scott, excellent performer.  Some of the lyrics where hard to hear, but only on the new songs, most likely cause we don't know the lyrics.  There was an awesome shot of the band all together in front of the drums during Set Me Free i believe.  I was above the stage to the right on the upper tier exactly lined up with the side off the stage, maybe 15 ft. away.  They had two railings one straight and one on a diagonal so you couldn't stand agianst the one closest to the stage.  Then during the third song that damn opening band came out and stood in that space between the railings blocking most of our view.  You think they got booed of the stage, everyone kept yelling at them, one girl hit one of them.  Everyone was getting pissed off, they didn't acknowledge any of us.  So by the next song one of the workers there told them they had to sit, so they left.  I just thought it was messed up that we couldn't go in that spot and we were there first, we paid to get in and they could do whatever.  It was pretty funny though when they left everyone was cheering.  I can't wait to see VR again.  I wanna got to AC and Rolling Rock  even if it is the same set, so much energy.  The last concert I went to was Audioslave, at electric factory, I like them but VR blew them away.  They should have no problem being successful.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 02:32:56 AM »

.  The last concert I went to was Audioslave, at electric factory, I like them but VR blew them away.  They should have no problem being successful.
Of course they are better then Audioslave. Scott is a better entertainer. And the Rage backup sound can't compare to Slash. Slashes riffs and solos have a soul. They have passion and pain, and whine their way through the amps. His guitars talk to us.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 03:07:15 AM »

Thanks for your great reviews, guys! I'm dying to see this band, but I dunno if/when they'll come to Brasil.  Embarrassed

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 03:26:29 AM »

cool reviews!!! damn I hope im lucky to see them sometime. I hope there is a boot of this show... I wanna hear that Axl stuff.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 10:26:38 AM »

gunner and booker - great reviews! you guys pretty much covered everything and i agree 100%.

dizzy - i apologize for not catching up with you again. crazy night. but it was really cool to meet you.

the only thing i can add is that the intensity of the crowd was unreal. it started before the show when there was a huge line of people just waiting to get inside. you could feel the energy and anticipation.

and inside was crazy. i fought my way to the front. i was about 3 people from the stage towards the right side. (i had a black superjoint ritual t-shirt for anyone that was there.)

BUT, to get that close was tougher than at any show i've ever been too. it wasn't necessarily rough, but people were just fighting to get closer and fighting to hold their space. it was crazy and tensions were high at times.

the only time it was like that was when metallica played there back in '98. but it was so much tougher to get near the stage for VR. and i'm not exaggerating at all.

the show rocked. for me the highlight was "it's so easy". hearing slash and duff play it was surreal. it's tough to give a review of the new songs i never heard. some of them rock real hard, and they have some interesting sounds to them. fall to pieces just sounded ok to me. but overall my guess is that i will really like the album. time will tell.

VR is the real deal. they are huge. and they will be around for a while. and it's damn good to have some pure kick ass rock n roll again!!

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 11:17:45 AM »

Thanks for the reviews Booker and G17.

Happy to hear you enjoyed the show Grin.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Dizzy
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 01:46:26 PM »

Well, I just got back home from Philadelphia.  What can I say, fucking incredible night.  I also must say I stayed in a very pretty section of the city, I was impressed by it.

Seems like everyone else has said many things that could've been said about the show, so I'll wade through and comment on some of them.

dizzy - i apologize for not catching up with you again. crazy night. but it was really cool to meet you.

Same here, and I'm glad everything was okay.  When you said you had to take a call and didn't show up again, I thought maybe there was some emergency, so I am glad to hear you made the show.

the show rocked. for me the highlight was "it's so easy". hearing slash and duff play it was surreal.

Yeah, that was the highlight for everybody around me.  They rocked harder to that one then any other song, and that was also the only one that everybody around me all sang.

I want to start by apologizing to Dizzy...I actually saw you walk by while I was waiting in line, but I didnt even realize it until
you were halfway down the block...The line was pretty damn long at that point.  I was glad to see you made it though...

Glad to hear you made it too!    ok

I was a little annoyed by the audiences pushing and being generally cramped up..

Yeah, I was actually near the front since I got there early, but fortunately I was on the left side, not in the center where most of the shoving/moshing was occurring.

The band sounded great, however like many have noted, its extremely loud and Scotts vocals are unintelligble for most of the performance.  My ears are still ringing.  Sad  Because of this, its impossible for me to say anything about the new songs, other than they rock very hard.

Yeah, I had silly putty in my ears (standard concert attire for me), and Scott's vocals were still distorted, I could only make the lyrics out in sporadic spots.

"Fall To Pieces" was obviously the most audible song of the night, and I liked what I heard a lot.  

Yeah, I really enjoyed that one myself.  I was one of the few who held up a lighter when it was going on.  I don't smoke, but I own a lighter for this specific purpose.   Cheesy

"Suckertrain Blues" sounded great.  Awesome intro on that one.  "Illegal I" was one of the highlights.  Incredibly heavy riffs and Matts machine-gun drumming on it is  

Yeah, Matt is really a tailor-made drummer for this band.  I never thought he meshed well with GNR, so I'm glad to see he got the opportunity to be in his own band where he contributed to the songs from the onset.  He really did a great job.

Right before "Used To Love Her," the inevitable "Axl sucks" chant broke out.  Slash took center stage, grabbed the mic and playfully told the crowd "Hey!  Shut up!"  He pointed to a guy and the front and said "You probably started that one!"  He was very cool about the whole thing, saying "I just got word that you guys kinda got screwed, but thats not us.  We really like being here."  He said something to the effect of VR not having anything to do with all of that, "...so just let it go.  But were about to play something that kinda is by them...but no more about the Redhead."  You have to hear the audio, because Im only paraphrasing.  He handled it in a very cool way.

Yeah, it should be noted that Slash only mentioned the Philly Riot incident because he wanted to make it clear that it didn't involve them and to leave it alone.  The "Axl sucks" chant broke out a couple times thereafter and Slash made it a point to stop it each time.  And then after "Used to Love Her", Duff put in his two cents, about the "Scott rules" chant instead.

A few comments of my own.....

Living Things (opening band) behaved themselves as far as their previous political revelations were concerned.  Their music wasn't as bad as some reviews have stated, but the singer was awful.  The music was decent, but it grew redundant.  I felt bad for them when the crowd started booing.  I can understand being pissed at them bringing political shit onto the stage, but booing them just for performing is disrespectful, even if their music sucks.  They wisely exited the stage quickly after they were done and didn't waste time talking to the crowd.

I've bashed Axl in the past for this, so I have to be fair and criticize VR too; VR kept us waiting for an hour after the opening band finished.  Granted, it wasn't as long as Axl would've kept us, but too long nonetheless.

As I said, the new songs rocked, though the sound was so loud I could rarely make out the vocals, so I can't give any real opinion on the lyrics.  Scott was a formidable stage presence despite his, well, "unique" dance moves.  Dave was bopping around too, though the poor fella went unnoticed for the most part since he's unknown.  It was Slash and Duff that the crowd was mostly behind.

I was awestruck by the presence of Slash, after having been a GNR fan for so long and having seen him on TV and concerts and such for so many years, it was just a  Shocked to see him in the flesh!  Same for Duff, that guy has an awesome stage presence which you will only realize when you see him live.  As I mentioned before, Matt is a great drummer and performed really well, I'm glad he finally is in a band where he is the original drummer and can play his own stuff.

The crowd was completely into the show and was cheering, chanting, screaming, and singing....it was awesome.  It was a jam packed house last night, and awesome to be near the front and in the thick of things, and awesome to be that close to Slash and Duff and the rest of the guys.

Can't wait for the album now.   ok
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 08:05:56 PM by Dizzy » Logged
Doc Emmett Brown
First Porn on Mars
Legend

up and away

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 02:30:52 PM »

I was also shocked at how many hot females were in attendance...

yeah yeah that's great, but what was Slash wearing?  Grin

And were you able to take photos?  I'm glad you had a good time.

Through a shattered city, watched by laser eyes
overhead the night squad glides
the decaying paradise
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 02:49:20 PM »

Same for Duff, that guy has an awesome stage presence which you will only realize when you see him live.
I totally agree. Duff is awesome and has a great presence. Seeing duf and Slash live is an amazing experience.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2004, 02:55:05 PM »

And were you able to take photos?  I'm glad you had a good time.

I dont know what the deal with cameras was ...I saw a couple of people taking pictures.  But I didnt want to deal with getting anything confiscated, so I didnt bother bringing one, which Im kind of pissed about now, cause I wouldve had some great shots... Angry

Anybody know how much tickets are for the Atlantic City show?  Id love to catch them again on this run, and thats the closest theyll be...Wouldnt mind seeing The Darkness either.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 02:57:16 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Gunner17
Rocker

What we got here is...

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2004, 04:12:06 PM »

Slash was wearing black leather boots, wife beater, leather pants, ripped jean jacket.......It could have been 1987 as far as I was concerned last night! The man has no changed one bit with is clothing...I love it!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2004, 06:12:31 PM »

[Anybody know how much tickets are for the Atlantic City show/quote]
a buck fity
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 06:15:17 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
sandman
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 10:47:45 AM »

dizzy - i had someone back out on me so i had to go outside and sell a pair of tix. came back in and you were talking to someone (i think he had an ozzy shirt on), and then you left soon after.

i didn't get in to see the opener. still disappointed it wasn't silvertide. about a year ago i saw them play inside whiskey dix (very small bar next to the EF). i have a feeling i may be telling my kids that story someday.

but anyway, VR was awesome. during the songs everyone knew, the show was a 9 or a 10. but there was the feeling out period during the new songs, so overall i'd have to give the show an 8.

also, i was expecting the band's energy level to be a 10. it wasn't bad, but i'd only give them a 7.5 or 8.

does anyone else agree with this?

i was drunk and fighting for position alot so maybe i missed some stuff, but i kinda got the feeling they were a little tired due to playing the 3rd night in a row.

Dizzy
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2004, 10:55:29 AM »

about a year ago i saw them play inside whiskey dix (very small bar next to the EF).

Very small indeed.  How in hell did they manage to fit a band in there to play and still have an audience?  Were spectators standing outside on the sidewalks watching them or something?

but i kinda got the feeling they were a little tired due to playing the 3rd night in a row.

Hmmm, I didn't notice this, perhaps I was so excited that it escaped me.  But they seemed to be on top of things, Slash was bouncing around, jumping on top of amps and whatnot, Scott was dancing around throughout the show, Dave was dashing around, and Matt was pounding away.  Duff didn't move around as much, but he didn't look dead tired either.  So I didn't think their energy was lacking.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 10:57:00 AM by Dizzy » Logged
sandman
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2004, 08:29:15 PM »

it was tight when silvertide played there. you may have noticed a small stage on the left. and on the right there was stairs to a second floor. it was a packed house and they were rockin.

you're probably right about their energy level. i was specifically thinking about scott. not that he didn't give a great show, but i saw STP in 2000 and he was much more active.

BUT the smaller stage has something to do with that.

noonespecial
VIP

I&#039;m a llama!

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 09:04:35 AM »

Wow...You guys are so lucky...I wanted to see that show really bad! I was too late getting to ticketmaster....Thanks for the reviews
For what it is worth:

Here's what the Philly Inquirer had to say from May 31st
Posted on Mon, May. 31, 2004

Velvet Revolver lets 'em have it, and with both barrels blazing

By A.D. Amorosi

For The Inquirer

It's no surprise that Velvet Revolver - the meeting of ex-Guns N' Roses' Slash, Duff and Matt Sorum with former Stone Temple Pilot Scott Weiland - sold out the Electric Factory on Friday. The seething audience, young and old, seemed vacuum-packed and freeze-dried circa 1990, waiting for this magic metal moment.

What's shocking was that without an album (VR's debut, Contraband, isn't out until June Cool, the super-group conjured rabid enthusiasm for mature metal melodies that sounded like neither of their previous ensembles. Their songs - from the Beatle-rock of "Set Me Free" to the sinister cheerfulness of "Headspace" - sounded newly minted, a freshness that carried through to energetic takes on their own back catalog.

A wriggling Weiland was the perfect front man for this sonic boom because of his upfront-ness: bumping and grinding to the grungy groove of the big-beating "Big Machine" and "Sucker Train Blues" like a fan dancer in a wind tunnel.

With shirtless torso, dress-military cap and black vest, Weiland delivered high-pitched theatrical vocals that were as stark, snaky and sensual as the roar made by Slash & Co. One of big-rock's eternally secret vocal weapons, Weiland let the cat out of the bag, leaning into Slash's buzzing guitars on the blustering "Slither," the Guns' rump-shaking "Mr. Brownstone" and the chipper "Used to Love Her" as fearlessly as a boxer leaning into a punch.

Together with rhythm guitarist Dave Kushner, Slash didn't so much as play his tangle of guitars as become them. Whether leading "Illegal I Song" with an angry guitar-army's scourge or taking a razoring solo through "Fall to Pieces," Slash's emotions ran as deep as Weiland's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 10:14:16 AM »

I can't remember too many more things that weren't mentioned about this show already.  All I can say is YOU MUST SEE THIS BAND.

The fans were really cool too.  There were people drinking, but everyone seemed to be friendly and sharing a common interest - hard rock.

Slither live was great.  All the fans were singing along with Duff when he says "HEY".

Seeing Slash play Brownstone was an honor.  Falling to Pieces was a real good song, and Set Me Free rocked as usual.  

It was cool when Slash mentioned the Axl no show.

I definately got my moneys worth.  It was a real good time.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Dizzy
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 05:48:07 PM »

Cool review noonespecial.

Slash's emotions ran as deep as Weiland's.

Indeed, Slash's emotions always run deep when he becomes part of his guitar.   Cool
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: