Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Contraband Review of AxlGreece
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Contraband Review of AxlGreece  (Read 15030 times)
GNRisAFD
Headliner

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2004, 08:37:01 PM »

AxlGreece,

What's your opinion of the "rockers" on the album? Are they anywhere near AFD standard?

Thanks.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2004, 08:39:42 PM »

Are they anywhere near AFD standard?

Wow, what exactly are you expecting from this band?  Shocked

Personally I hope I get a cd where I don't have to skip any tracks. I'd be happy with that.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2004, 08:53:46 PM »

Wow, what exactly are you expecting from this band? Shocked

More than I can imagine being possible.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
GNRisAFD
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2004, 08:59:29 PM »

I did say are they "anywhere near AFD standard", not are they "near AFD standard".

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2004, 09:13:35 PM »

The rockers that I have heard {the studio versions} are nowhere near afd. They are more liek stp.

What is similar to gnr material are teh ballads. Such as falling to pieces and ygnr.

ygnr is a fukin great song.

I have heard i guess about half the album now. Myab ea lil more. Overall it rocks. It def. is better than whats out there. pLus they put on an exceptional live show.....

enjoy this band. No need to hate or take 1 side. enjoy both bands cause both will offer you something different.

peace...
btw i might be able to get the album tomorrow or sometime next week....ifso ill post an elaboraet review

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
GunsLova
Rocker

VR? LMAO

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 10:32:31 PM »

The rockers that I have heard {the studio versions} are nowhere near afd. They are more liek stp.

What is similar to gnr material are teh ballads. Such as falling to pieces and ygnr.

ygnr is a fukin great song.

I have heard i guess about half the album now. Myab ea lil more. Overall it rocks. It def. is better than whats out there. pLus they put on an exceptional live show.....

enjoy this band. No need to hate or take 1 side. enjoy both bands cause both will offer you something different.

peace...
btw i might be able to get the album tomorrow or sometime next week....ifso ill post an elaboraet review

Yes The Ballads are awesome LTA is also amazing. Not the best lyrics but there is something about the Guitar works that makes u wanna listen to it over and over again.. I'm yet to hear FTP though and it's supposed to be even better.

YGNR has been a favorite for quite a while as well....  

I can see this album producin another 3-4 singles but only one of the would be a rocker here....

I do think with the right amount of promition and markettin this band can make it real big though.....
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 10:59:01 PM »

The "bodies" cover; who's it originaly by?

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2004, 01:09:23 AM »

The "bodies" cover; who's it originaly by?

sex pistols
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2004, 11:38:45 AM »

LTA could have been a very good song but instead weiland ruined it. The guitars are very cool though.

YGR sounds a little liek the beatles especially in the beginning.

Superhuman is cool and catchy. Once again I think weiland ruined it

I love weiland but Im starting to realize he cant keep up witht he big boys{slash,duff, matt} in terms of writing lyrics to their music. Maybe im being unfair because we are used to someone who works so well with the big boys...but idk in stp it worked but for me aside from a couple of songs it seems like it doesnt work. And its ashame because their some good guitar work on the album. Particulary the ballads. just my opinion though

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
SLCPUNK
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2004, 03:19:18 PM »

cool. Smiley
bill213
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2004, 03:57:06 PM »

I don't know but You Got No Right is a really catchy tune.......i think weiland fits right in on it......Loving the Alien is pretty cool too.  I haven't really gotten into the rockers too much, i agree they are more stp-esqe but the ballads will stand out.
gezm
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2004, 04:20:50 PM »

LTA could have been a very good song but instead weiland ruined it. The guitars are very cool though.

YGR sounds a little liek the beatles especially in the beginning.

Superhuman is cool and catchy. Once again I think weiland ruined it

I love weiland but Im starting to realize he cant keep up witht he big boys{slash,duff, matt} in terms of writing lyrics to their music. Maybe im being unfair because we are used to someone who works so well with the big boys...but idk in stp it worked but for me aside from a couple of songs it seems like it doesnt work. And its ashame because their some good guitar work on the album. Particulary the ballads. just my opinion though

your of your fucking head,  scott dont wreck anysongs, just because he aint axl! its u and dave on this board who like putting vr down your not as bad as dave tho he always find somthing, axl he just got somthing with his voice he all like because its dont and like dont give a fuck in your face kinder thing thats why axl rules! but scott is one of the best singers and song writers around these days, i was a bit scetch at first with him joinin the boys dident like it would work but look contraband kicks ass! scott is good and he deserves alot of credit for his work on this cd, plus matt has well inproved lots of good fills in and out, slash is just as good as ever, we got the same old duff just gr8! and dave bring this new vibe to the band which kicks ass!
overall vr simple rule and there a band which will be aroudn for years to come!  peace
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 04:23:04 PM by gezm » Logged
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2004, 05:13:19 PM »

I don't have the album, I have a promo copy of it so I don't have any lyrics and any artwork.

Imfuckincrazy
Headliner

Slash is God.

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2004, 06:25:44 PM »

your of your fucking head,  scott dont wreck anysongs, just because he aint axl!

I don't think that younggunner is as biased as dave, that's for sure. I don't think it was fair to say that younggunner is "off his fucking head," (maybe I'm just in a good mood?) but I can see how someone would mistake that post as being biased, because it seems that everyone is too busy comparing Scott to Axl, VR to GNR, to actually enjoy the fucking band.

And I feel bad for those people, too. If the Axl fans compare everyone to him, then of course every singer is going to sound like shit to them, just for not sounding like Axl. It's a wonder how the Axl freaks enjoy anything. Axl is a very unique singer and songwriter - there isn't going to be another Axl Rose, so people need to stop comparing Scott to him.

As for Scott "not being used to playing with the big boys," I think that's a load of crap. I think they (VR) are awesome, and I think Scott fits in just fine. I think he is a good vocalist (though some of his lyrics are not that great) and from what I've heard, he is an awesome performer. Scott Weiland is cool.

By the way, AxlGreece, your review was awesome! ok

I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother, got a rattle snake suitcase under my arm
gezm
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2004, 06:36:57 PM »

yeah i agree ok
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2004, 06:45:25 PM »

scott is good and he deserves alot of credit for his work on this cd
Im not sayign he doesnt. Ive always enjoyed Weiland. All im saying is that on some songs it shows that he cant help put the song over the top. Thats all. Its not a knock at all. Im actually giving slash and duff the biggest praise. FOr the most part they played really good on this record...particulaly the ballads.

As for Scott "not being used to playing with the big boys," I think that's a load of crap. I think they (VR) are awesome, and I think Scott fits in just fine. I think he is a good vocalist (though some of his lyrics are not that great) and from what I've heard, he is an awesome performer. Scott Weiland is cool.
I totally agree. Not everythign has to be liek Axl. Im not syaing that. ALl  i meant was that Axl has the ability to take slash/matt/duffs work and make it magical. Scotts work is fine and it kicks ass.
And what you have heard about Scotts performance is correct...hes an awesome performer live.....

Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2004, 07:50:05 PM »

I don't have the album, I have a promo copy of it so I don't have any lyrics and any artwork.

Too bad

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Imfuckincrazy
Headliner

Slash is God.

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2004, 08:33:53 PM »

I totally agree. Not everythign has to be liek Axl. Im not syaing that.

I know that you weren't. And that's what I was explaining to gezm. So many people are biased, and sometimes when people bash VR I automatically write them off as such because a lot of people are. But that doesn't mean that because you have "gunner" in your name and a picture of Buckethead as your avatar, that doesn't make you a bad guy. Smiley

ALl  i meant was that Axl has the ability to take slash/matt/duffs work and make it magical. Scotts work is fine and it kicks ass. And what you have heard about Scotts performance is correct...hes an awesome performer live.....

You are very right - about both Axl and Scott.

I would love to see Velvet Revolver live... as much as my mom doesn't like anything to do with GNR, I'm going to attempt to get her to listen to CB when it comes out because I think I can manage to make her into a Scott fan - maybe. Smiley Because I want to see them live damn it and I want more than anything to meet Slash. Cry

(I know, I know. All I ever do is whine and bitch. Roll Eyes)

I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother, got a rattle snake suitcase under my arm
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2004, 05:55:01 PM »

Hi, first of all let me start by saying that I really like Scott Weiland, Slash, Duff and Dave. I will compare at some moment this album with Axl's latest songs, so don't start "not again...".

I like Matt but I always prefered Steven. However things have changed on my taste about Matt...

Anyway, I had the luck to have the album (with some official promo gifts) sent to me by BMG Greece because I'm organising an Official Presentation of the album in my town (which is something I'm good at...).

I've been listening to the album for too many hours so that I could make up my mind about this review.

A Dark, Hard Rock album which might not bring rock music back to the charts but it will definitely help.

The great surprises for me were 2. Matt's improvement in playing (which was fuckin' awesome) and the small changes in Set Me Free, that made it a lot cooler.

You'll notice that there are some small changes in Set Me Free (guitars, vocals), the time is still the same. It's probably because of the new producer.

We've all heard Slither by now so I won't talk about it.

Now, the DIAMONDS of this album are YOU GOT NO RIGHT, FALL TO PIECES, HEADSPACE, DIRTY LITTLE THING, ILLEGAL I SONG, LOVING THE ALIEN.

YOU GOT NO RIGHT is just amazing. I loved this song from the moment I heard the first riff at the fashion show. I rarely have a wrong opinion if a song is going to be a hit or not. This song is gonna be huge (at least between VR's fans, like Estranged). The lyrics are great and Slash's solo is just out of this world.

FALL TO PIECES. Another great ballad written about Scott's problems with his wife (which are now past, at least I hope so cause this song should make her go back to Scott). Slash has come up with another great melody.

HEADSPACE. Isn't all that original? hehehe... Don't fuck with Scott. He'll beat the shit out of you. Just don't fuck with his HEADSPACE...

DIRTY LITTLE THING. Written about Paris Hilton (according to an interview). A fast rocker. I really like this song. "Get away from the life you're living".

ILLEGAL I SONG. Keep The Money Bitch... says it all...

LOVING THE ALIEN. Another cool ballad. The lyrics are not the best but it has a really cool melody so it "makes" you like it.

Sucker Train Blues. A good song. Nice intro to the album. Fast, catchy.

Do It For The Kids. A little punk. Probably Duff's work. Slash's guitar is really hot on this one.

Big Machine. Not my favorite song, but I like it.

Spectacle. Hard rock, just good.

Superhuman. Good one but not great.

Set Me Free. You gotta love this new version. If you liked the original, you'll love this one.

Slither. We've all heard it, we've all liked it.

Bodies. Good cover.

Overall it's a great record. It's definitely not GN'R or STP. It's Velvet Revolver.

The lyrics are sometimes great and sometimes just good. Don't expect GN'R's lyrics. They're more in the style of STP, but a lot darker. But the music is Velvet Revolver.

I don't know if it's gonna be a huge success as a record but some singles have all the potential to go to really high places on the charts.

That's all from me, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

.christos.
velvetrevolver.gr

Cool :-)

I've had the album for a couple of weeks now and I'd give it 5, maybe 6 out of 10

It sounds rushed, there are some poor tracks, and some of the production sounds slightly off

Loving the Alien is a nice track, Kids is also a catchy track. The faster ones such as Superhuman though sound quite poor. You got no Right though gets better as you listen

So, an ok first attempt, but I wish they had taken maybe 6 months more over it
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2004, 07:18:01 PM »

ok Mysteron

That was my impression of the seven tracks i've heard. The rockers are hard to distinguish and quite banal, but the ballads shine. I adore LTA and YGNR, but am only amicable towards SuckerTrain and Do It.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: