Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228554 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  VR's 2004 setlist
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: VR's 2004 setlist  (Read 10705 times)
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« on: May 25, 2004, 01:02:19 AM »

I was thinking and I bet many of you have been thinking the same thing that I was thinking as well.

You Got No Right, Superhuman and Spectacle have all been only played one time.

They played Superhuman and Spectacle at the Roxy and You Got No Right got played in October.

Then I was looking at the Album tracklisting and they havn't played Loving the Alien (Sometimes) at all.

I wonder why they havn't played these 4 songs much? I mean is there a reason? I think there are too many damn covers in the setlist. I don't know... I like a band that changes up the setlist a little more then they do. It would be cool if they would alternate it a little.

The Velvet Revolver fanbase is also picking up. I think we're in for a real treat of "real" rock when this album hits us.

Thanks

TR

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 01:26:35 AM »

I know this is just a small pre-album tour, but I hope they start mixing the set up more and adding in/taking out different songs.

I remember Duff being interviewed by MTV back before UYI came out and they were playing different setlists every night and Duff said "to play the same setlist everynight is as boring as a 9 to 5 job", which is why they mixed it up.

Come on VR, mix it up some more, throw in some different GN'R/STP covers and different VR originals!

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 01:35:23 AM »

Yeah really I would love to hear them do Paradise City man... or Plush I mean that would fucking rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right on Mettalex

But don't damn me
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 01:48:15 AM »

Yeah really I would love to hear them do Paradise City man

Dont count on it, Slash has recently deemed it "too anthemic" and unfit for playing without Axl (although one wonders why he played it several times with Cypress Hill?).  "Plush" is a possibility I suppose.

I agree, Id like to see them switch up the setlist as well as alternate between covers, making each show unique.  As for the absence of "Loving The Alien (Sometimes)" and "You Got No Right," its my guess that theyre keeping the show as rocking as possible, and slowing down the momentum as little as possible.  Only reason I can come up with concerning the other songs (including "Dirty Lil' Thing") is that theyre tying to keep some mystery and surprise for the album.  

Its possible that theyre viewing this tour as a "warm-up" and will play more originals and covers once they play longer sets at bigger venues.  

I personally want to see "You Could Be Mine". yes

Also, how cool would it be if they played one or two brand-new, non Contraband tracks in the near future?  B-sides, general unreleased songs, or possible selections for the next album...anything like that would be great.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 01:54:32 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 01:53:46 AM »

Yeah, You Could Be Mine would be awesome. Apparently Matt teased the crowd with the drum intro at one of the shows recently too!
What other GN'R songs could they play that would be within Scott's range to sing I wonder?

Other covers they could play are either Attitude, New Rose or Raw Power with Duff and Scott sharing vocal duties beer

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 02:04:54 AM »

What other GN'R songs could they play that would be within Scott's range to sing I wonder?

Range is irrelevant as far as Im concerned.  Scott will sing in his range regardless instead of imitating Axl...

Obviously the hits and "Axl" songs - "WTTJ," "SCOM," "November Rain," etc. - are out of the question.  But "YCBM," "Nightrain," and maybe even "Patience" would be great choices.

Other covers they could play are either Attitude, New Rose or Raw Power with Duff and Scott sharing vocal duties beer

Tracks from The Spaghetti Incident? arent exactly near the top of my list, but to each his own... Grin
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 02:05:43 AM »

I want Rocket Queen, Paradise, Patience & Interstate  Love Song and Silvergun Superman!
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 03:23:26 AM »

I think they are probably waiting some tunes until the album comes out. Also some tunes just don't go over well live which really shouldn't be a problem for them I guess since they basically recorded the CD live. I think it will switch up somewhat once the album comes out and they will mess with some different covers. You have to remember that they only have one album so far without a heck of a lot of material.

metallex78
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 08:26:41 AM »

Range is irrelevant as far as Im concerned.  Scott will sing in his range regardless instead of imitating Axl...

Obviously the hits and "Axl" songs - "WTTJ," "SCOM," "November Rain," etc. - are out of the question.  But "YCBM," "Nightrain," and maybe even "Patience" would be great choices.

Tracks from The Spaghetti Incident? arent exactly near the top of my list, but to each his own... Grin

Yeah, it just comes down to a matter of personal taste.
I don't like all of the songs on TSI, but you can't deny that those 3 songs rock just as much as any of the other punk covers the band are choosing to play (Bodies, Negative Creep).

I also think Out Ta Get Me would sound good with Scott on vocals. With all the lashing out the press Scott's been doing lately, I think he could add some real grit to it live. ok

starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 08:50:02 AM »

I think they don't play all new tracks because fans don't know these songs... and listening almont all the show of unknown songs may be not what fans want...
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 09:06:50 AM »

VR should not be playing any gnr (or stp) songs at all.
They are neither of those bands anymore. Slash and duff keep saying they don't want to be associated or promote themselves for being in gnr but they sure like to mention axl in every interview and play old gnr songs at their shows. Why can't they just play their VR songs. That is their new band right?
You never heard audioslave playing rage or soundgarden songs, you never heard APC playing tool songs, and you never heard swan play SP songs.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 09:08:35 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 09:24:49 AM »

It was a bit weird hearing Scott sing instead of Axl on the bootlegs.

When people say that VR has three ex-Gunners and they should play the songs because of that, you might wanna think about the fact that "only" two of them actually were in the band when the songs were written. Wink

Matt didn't play on AFD or Lies.

They're not covering Loaded or Snakepit and they have two ex-members of each band. Wink

hihi

I guess they like playing the songs and people want to hear them at VR shows, so it's ok. I don't care. Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 11:16:00 AM »

Thing is the set list only looks boring because we are in the Internet age.  Where as a gig is soley (really) only meant to entertain those at the venue isn't it?

So you only have the right to complain if you have been to more that 2 gigs and it's been the same set list, otherwise it's just nit picking isn't it?

As far as the GNR/STP songs why shouldn't they play them?  Where's the rule book that says that?  As far as i'm concerned there are no rules when it comes to rock music.  I mean: If you see someone like Jimmy Page on TV, people really want to hear him belt out Zepplin aswell as checking out what new he has to offer and it's the same with Slash those GNR songs are as identifiable with him as they are Axl.   No one can argue that.

You could argue that Audioslave would have been more exciting if they did acknowlege their past.  

Anyway let the band grow, their finding their feet. But they earn extra respect points for doing it infront of us.  Wouldn't you rather they made mistakes and became a better band for it ? I will give them that patience anyway.

Personally i would like to hear (stp) Vasoline, No way out, No sex or violence, Dead and bloated  (gnr)  Pretty tied up, 14 years, Night train. My Michelle - actually i think they should be a bit cheeky and do maybe an acoustic version of say Sweet child ...could be cool.

Infact i'd also like to hear something like Soma city ward or Beggers and hanger (as duff wrote the ending too) on they are great tracks!  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 11:17:35 AM by mrfarr » Logged

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 12:27:46 PM »

Personaly I want to hear VR Hollywood Bitch,Wicked Garden,Sour girl and,All in the suit that you wear on the GNR side of things maybe Anything goes,Dust N' Bones,So fine,Rocket Queen and,Knockin' On Heavens Door
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 12:28:30 PM »

I guess they like playing the songs and people want to hear them at VR shows, so it's ok. I don't care. Cheesy

/jarmo

My feelings as well.

With the hit single, sold out tour and album on the way, it seems as though their identity as VR is becoming quite evident.  Any look back at the past is just additional fun for the fans and the band alike.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 02:45:38 PM »

My feelings as well.

With the hit single, sold out tour and album on the way, it seems as though their identity as VR is becoming quite evident.  Any look back at the past is just additional fun for the fans and the band alike.

It isn't a hit single quite yet, it hasn't cracked the top 40. It is in the top 5 on 2 other sublevel charts.

But don't damn me
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 06:28:01 PM »

My feelings as well.

It isn't a hit single quite yet, it hasn't cracked the top 40. It is in the top 5 on 2 other sublevel charts.

Pure semantics, I would venture to say the record company, the band and the general music listening public consider "Slither" a hit.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 12:06:46 AM »

VR should not be playing any gnr (or stp) songs at all.
They are neither of those bands anymore. Slash and duff keep saying they don't want to be associated or promote themselves for being in gnr but they sure like to mention axl in every interview and play old gnr songs at their shows. Why can't they just play their VR songs. That is their new band right?
You never heard audioslave playing rage or soundgarden songs, you never heard APC playing tool songs, and you never heard swan play SP songs.

They answered that in some interview. They said that the fans have been requesting it on the forums and emails and shit.   I know that I really want to see Slash play some of his solos and having Duff there is a plus. Shitloads of peopel do it and it' snot a big deal.

Paul McCartney  plays Beatles
George Harrison played Beatles
Jerry Cantrell plays AIC
Tommy Lee plays Crue
Vince plays Crue
Brides play Crue
Roger Waters plays Pink Floyd
Ozzy  played Sabbath
Plant played Zeppelin
Page played Zeppelin
Roth palys Van Halen
Hagar plays Van Halen
Dickie Betts plays Allman Bros.
Robby Krieger plays The Doors
Clapton plays Cream

That's just some. There are more and not everyone does it. But I know that I am really looking forward to witnessing Slash, Duff and Matt play some of those songs for the first time in front of me in 11 years. Actually I saw them play some at Camp Freddy too lol. But I was blacked Out.

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 12:10:24 AM »

It was a bit weird hearing Scott sing instead of Axl on the bootlegs.

They're not covering Loaded or Snakepit and they have two ex-members of each band. Wink

hihi

/jarmo

Exactly, I would definaley want to hear GnR over Snakepit and Loaded lol. Although I do like the first Snakepit CD.

Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2004, 08:30:47 AM »

I think some people going to a VR concert are going because they want guns. You see people posting they should play more covers, they should play more then 3.  I think they picked a happy medium playing none might piss off fans and make people give bad reviews of the concerts. Playing 3 of the lesses known songs, embraces their past, makes the GnR fans happy, and breaks up a completelly NEW VR set.

BE honest who doesnt love a good old fashion sing along. Used to Love Her, Mr Brownstone.

Hell if America didnt love sing a longs would there be so many kareoke bars around?

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: