Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228560 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Thank You
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thank You  (Read 7180 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« on: May 24, 2004, 09:21:05 PM »

I finally picked up the Stone Temple Pilots greatest hits collection, Thank You with the DVD, and its pretty amazing.

The reason I post this here is obviously because of Weiland, and to anybody who not that familiar with his work or not yet sold on him, I strongly recommend this CD/DVD.  The DVD is especially awesome.  It includes pro-shot live performances of probably 10 or so STP songs, including the classic Headbangers Ball rendition of "Plush" and a truly stunning performance of "Atlanta" with a string section.  Its flawless and breathtaking.  Same goes with "Trippin On A Hole In a Paper Heart," the way Scott maintains near-perfect vocals on such a challenging song all while flailing and dancing around is nothing short of remarkable.  Heres the "Live Performances" setlist...

1. Army Ants
2. Interstate Love Song
3. Silver Gun Superman
4. Crackerman
5. Plush
6. Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart
7. Hollwood Bitch
8. Big Empty
9. Long Way Home
10. Down
11. Meat Plow
12. Tumble In The Rough
13. Sex And Violence
14. Wicked Garden
15. Plush (Acoustic)
16. Atlanta

Theres a "Bootlegs" section which is just that, amateur-shot bootlegs.  However, the "Creep" video is actually shot from the stage and Weiland crowd surfs all over the crowd until settling down right in the center of it and performing the song.  An extremely cool performance.  Theres a studio/rehearsel performance of "Too Cool Queenie," "Sweet Emotion" performed with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, and "Crackerman" performed in complete Kiss regalia and preceded by behind-the-scenes footage of the band preparing.  The quality of some of the boots is pretty bad, some of its really good.  Tracklisting for the "Bootlegs" portion...

1. Where The River Goes
2. Dead & Bloated
3. Crackerman
4. Pop's Love Suicide
5. Sweet Emotion (With Steven Tyler & Joe Perry)
6. Big Bang Baby
7. Pretty Penny
8. Loungefly
9. Wonderful
10. Creep
11. Too Cool Queenie
12. Witchita Lineman (With Glenn Campbell)

Then of course theres the "Music Videos" section which I believe is a complete collection of STPs videos.  I actually dont even think Id seen a couple, including "Lady Picture Show" (always saw it as a clip in random shows that mentioned STP, but never knew where it came from) and "Down".  And I know I never saw "Hello, Its Late".  These guys have really made some great videos, and I hope VR makes something as good as "Lady Picture Show" or "Sour Girl" because Im not crazy about "Slither"s clip and I love the surrealistic imagery and feel of those two videos in particular.  The "Music Videos" line-up...

1. Sex Type Thing
2. Plush
3. Wicked Garden
4. Creep
5. Vasoline
6. Interstate Love Song
7. Big Bang Baby
8. Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart
9. Lady Picture Show
10. Down
11. Sour Girl
12. Days Of The Week
13. Hello, Its Late
14. Sex Type Thing Live (1992 - 2002)

And finally theres a 5-minute or so picture slideshow that contains some great shots.

Another cool feature on the DVD is that sudio versions of songs not found anywhere else in the collection are played during menu screens...

"Coma" plays during the Main Menu.
"Dumb Love" during the "Live Performances" Menu
"Transmissions From A Lonely Room" on the "Bootlegs" Menu
"Black Again" on the "Music Videos" Menu
"Bi-Polar Bear" during the "Photo Gallery" Menu
"Wonderful" during the "Credits" Menu

Really, the only songs Im slightly disappointed to see totally omitted are "Still Remains" and "Adhesive"...other than that, most of STPs material is covered on here.  The packaging is also very nice (I was definitely caught off-guard when opening it Wink ).

So again, I strongly recommend that everyone pick this up, its definitely worth the $25-$30.  In addition to having STPs biggest and best on one CD (including the previously unreleased "All In The Suit That Wear," perhaps their best rocker since Purple, definitely since "Down"), youre getting the teriffic DVD with 28 live performances (from festivals, to clubs, to rehearsels), 14 great videos and a cool photo gallery.  You get most of STPs catalogue in just two discs.  ok

Anybody who has/gets it, let me know what you think.  
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 10:40:50 PM »

I bought the Thank You cd as soon as it came out, so I could familiarize myself with Scott's previous work now that he's fronting VR and I ended up loving every song on there!

A few weeks later I saw the cd/dvd package so I bought that (for the same price as the single cd!:rant:) and gave the cd version to my brother.

I love it, it's definitely a great buy and it's made me STP fan too. I've since purchased Core and Purple and I'll work my way through to the other albums as well.

One thing to note, the cd only version pictures the girl (on the inside cover) with her hair covering her breasts, but in the cd/dvd version her breasts are exposed in all their glory love

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 01:20:06 AM »

Man I gotta pick up that and Im thinkin about the UYI DVD's and/or GnR lies.

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
outlawaxl
Rocker

The King of Kings

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 02:04:44 AM »

I have seen it in the stores but just never been a big enough fan of STP to buy it.. I have the 1st two cds but this sounds pretty bad ass..

would you recommend it over the Letters from a porcupine by Blind Mellon? Ive been looking at both of them to buy after i bought the Kiss Symphony DVD..
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 02:18:57 AM »

I have seen it in the stores but just never been a big enough fan of STP to buy it.. I have the 1st two cds but this sounds pretty bad ass..

I think this might just make you a fan...Its great stuff.

would you recommend it over the Letters from a porcupine by Blind Mellon?

No...Only because Ive never seen/heard the Blind Melon DVD - mainly because Im unfamiliar with the band.  I hope to change that soon, because I love Shannon Hoons voice and "No Rain"...For some reason I just never got into them.

However, I can tell you that its the most worthwhile music purchase Ive made in a long time and I highly recommend buying it.
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 02:18:58 AM »

would you recommend it over the Letters from a porcupine by Blind Mellon? Ive been looking at both of them to buy after i bought the Kiss Symphony DVD..

Hmmm... to me the whole point of a "greatest hits" is for someone who's not much of a fan, if you were a fan you'd already have all their albums. But yeah, this is a very worthy buy, especially the cd/dvd version.

Haven't heard of the Blind Melon cd you're talking about, but then again, I'm not really into Blind Melon. And I can't stand Kiss.

John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 03:13:42 AM »

I got the 'thank you' album and it's great. It got something from their each album..As I bought that CD I didn't really know much about STP besides 'The Core' album...so I asked from a little CD-shop seller/owner that what he thought of the CD and he just told that it's a great album and it has a good cross section about the STP's history...so I bought it and I like it very much.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 07:19:12 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks parts of "Big Bang Baby" sounds a lot like "Jumping Jack Flash"?  confused

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 10:03:58 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks parts of "Big Bang Baby" sounds a lot like "Jumping Jack Flash"?  confused

/jarmo

No it took me almost 3 months to convince one of my friends that it does.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 01:10:43 PM »

/jarmo

No it took me almost 3 months to convince one of my friends that it does.

Both of you are right.  Weiland even acknowleged that the BBB chorus was a tip of the hat to the stones.  STP messed around with JJF a few times live also.  BBB seems to be a recurring reason for jarmo not liking STP.  Is that one of the main reasons, or do you just not like Weiland's voice overall?  Just curious.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 01:15:54 PM »

Their music doesn't do anything for me. It's ok, but not anything special in my opinion.

Regarding his voice, I don't like his voice on that song.

I prefer all the other groups that were popular around the time STP released "Core".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 01:27:16 PM »

Their music doesn't do anything for me. It's ok, but not anything special in my opinion.

Regarding his voice, I don't like his voice on that song.

I prefer all the other groups that were popular around the time STP released "Core".

/jarmo

fair enough.  can't get any more legitimate than that.
madagas
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 01:33:47 PM »

I like a few STP songs, but I too am more in to Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Tool, NIN, Alice, and the Pumpkins. There was an ass load of good hard rock in the 90's.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 01:39:52 PM by madagas » Logged
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 08:01:12 PM »

I'm a later comer when it comes to getting into STP, but much like Jarmo I preferred the originals (AIC, Pearl Jam etc) when STP first came out.

But having said that, STP definitely developed their own style and sound and are/were a great band.

As for not liking STP because one of their songs sound like the Stones is a bit silly to me.
Allot of bands wear their influences on their sleeves, some more than others. But while STP might sound like the Stones on one song, they also sound like the Beatles or Pearl Jam or GN'R on other songs.

I think Scott is a perfect fit for VR too from what I've seen and heard from him.

weilandhighway
Opening Act

Guess What You're Riding? The Weiland highway

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 09:34:47 PM »

I also had picked up the thank you cd with the bonus dvd and it is pretty awsome. its kind of weird though because scott looked soo different back then to what he does now. i mean when he had the short white hair around 92 it doesnt really look like him just watch the sex type thing music video on the dvd.

Velvet Revolver
AxlsPiano
Rocker

Rock N Roll Will Return

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 10:29:07 PM »

i just downloaded Big Bang Baby to see what it sounded like since jarmo said it sounded like the stones. I think this song is so kickass! im glad i got it, makes me wanna buy some kind of STP album, whether its this greatest hits thing or whatever. This songs riff is sweet. I also love how he sings it.
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 01:31:15 AM »

I just bought the Thank you CD/DVD (nice tits  ok ) and I never relised how much I liked STP aside from Down and Plush. Also I was amazed at the early 90's scott to the '04 scott.

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 02:43:19 AM »

I just bought the Thank you CD/DVD (nice tits  ok ) and I never relised how much I liked STP aside from Down and Plush. Also I was amazed at the early 90's scott to the '04 scott.

Glad to hear you got it...

Any favorite songs/videos?
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 02:48:37 AM »

Some highlights for me would be the Hello It's Late video, (Scott looks like John Lennon with his beard), Down live, Plush acoustic live, and I'm right into Crackerman too after hearing VR play it. beer

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 03:00:31 AM »

Some highlights for me would be the Hello It's Late video, (Scott looks like John Lennon with his beard), Down live, Plush acoustic live, and I'm right into Crackerman too after hearing VR play it. beer

Yeah, I like the "Hello, Its Late" video a lot.  Never knew it existed, but its very cool.  Very raw and real, qualities I hope to see in VRs videos.  Defintely odd seeing Scott with long hair and a beard.  It could be an homage to Lennon since Scotts commented on the song being Beatles-influenced.  I believe he said something like hed like to know what theyd think of it...

How about the "Atlanta" performance?  I think its really amazing...Unquestionably the finest rock ballad whistling since "Patience".   Grin
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 03:07:51 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: