Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:29:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  judging from the VR bootleg, Axl has nothing to worry about
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: judging from the VR bootleg, Axl has nothing to worry about  (Read 25965 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2004, 09:02:08 AM »

^^

And why is that? Is it because the post is not anti axl?
 Roll Eyes

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2004, 11:10:28 AM »

It all comes down to a matter of opinion and personal taste.
It def does. Im not syaing yiu have to liek one over the other.

Well I think the songs I've heard from VR are excellent and really grow on you
Yea some of their songs are excellent. But my point is, I expected more from them because of their past efforts. There sound is good but its not what i thought it would be.

Just like i have huge expectations for gnr i have high{not as high} expectations for vr simply because they have 3 ex gnr members and an excellent frontman

VR has made more progress in 6 months than Axl has an 10yrs.  
not 10 yrs 6 yrs.....

and what does that mean though. Its liek people like vr over gnr just because they are doin something. Its cool we have something but does that mean 1 band is better than anothe rsimply because they are being active?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
smitty
Opening Act

I've got tickets.

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2004, 12:05:46 PM »

Dave, like Axl, you are delusional. 'The Blues' and 'Chinese Democracy' are embarrassing to true GNR fans.  'Madagascar' isn't a bad song, but it doesn't compare to 'Estranged' or NR.  What about Axl's voice?  C'mon, dude. I could sound like I'm skinning a cat just as well as he can.   And don't get me started on the plastic surgery.  

Keep holding your breath for Chinese Democracy.  I will be rocking with Contraband.      

Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2004, 12:53:22 PM »

'The Blues' and 'Chinese Democracy' are embarrassing to true GNR fans.  '

Speak for yourself (I know you are).  The Blues is one of the best songs he's ever done.  
Dizzy
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2004, 06:32:20 PM »

Speak for yourself (I know you are).  The Blues is one of the best songs he's ever done.  

I concur, I really love "The Blues", and "Madagascar", though the quotes in the middle of the latter really detract from the musical value.  I don't think either song stands up to "November Rain" or "Estranged", but they don't have to....as long as Axl releases some quality material, I don't care if it's as good as his past material.  I've made it clear that my concern is his misuse of the GNR name, not the quality of his material.  I'm certain that Axl can produce quality material if he wants to release it, but that's the big problem with him, isn't it?

Now "Silk Worms" on the other hand, is an embarassment, to the GNR name, to the Axl Rose name, and to the name of music.  That garbage sounds worse than most rap songs I've heard.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 06:33:46 PM by Dizzy » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2004, 06:40:15 PM »

Dave, like Axl, you are delusional. 'The Blues' and 'Chinese Democracy' are embarrassing to true GNR fans.  'Madagascar' isn't a bad song, but it doesn't compare to 'Estranged' or NR.  What about Axl's voice?  C'mon, dude. I could sound like I'm skinning a cat just as well as he can.   And don't get me started on the plastic surgery.  

Keep holding your breath for Chinese Democracy.  I will be rocking with Contraband.      

If anyone is delusional its you.
The blues and CD are better than a lot of the old gnr songs.
I have mentioned which before, so i wont again.
As for Axls voice its sounds MUCH better than it did for a good chunk of the UYI tour.
Listen to the boston or msg show and compare it with toyko, the 2002 voice is much  bettter.

IT baffles me how people forget how bad axl sounded during the uyi tour.

As for silkworms, the song is great, maybe its just not your cup of tea but dont even try and bash the lyrics since the lyrics to double talkin jive are pretty much the same.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 06:41:40 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Dizzy
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2004, 06:46:22 PM »

ont even try and bash the lyrics since the lyrics to double talkin jive are pretty much the same.

Are you serious?  The lyrics for DTJ are great, it tells a perfect story of the M.O. of sycophants.

The lyrics for "Silks Worms" are flat out disgusting.  Pussy full of maggots....blech.  
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2004, 07:59:09 PM »

I agree with you that the lyrics to silkworms are by no means inspiring but the song musically kicks ass. The studio version of that song will be awesome.

We all know its not a classic song but i honestly like the song a lot. It gets me pumped up for some reason..the vegas version is killer...axls voice got a cool punch to it and you can hear all of the sounds musically as opposed to the rio version....

Im surprised you would find the lyrics disgusting though. This is nothin new in gnr. They have always had grimy not so nice lyrics..... Huh
and not to make this another gnr vs vr thread but im pretty sure there will be a lot of not so nice lyrics on their album....why even bring it up?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 08:33:35 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2004, 08:31:34 PM »

ont even try and bash the lyrics since the lyrics to double talkin jive are pretty much the same.

Are you serious?  The lyrics for DTJ are great, it tells a perfect story of the M.O. of sycophants.

The lyrics for "Silks Worms" are flat out disgusting.  Pussy full of maggots....blech.  

SW is about a story about a hooker, i see nothing wrong with it.
Listien to the whole song and just dont pick out one line.

charl!edontsurf
Rocker

Axl doesn't surf either...

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2004, 11:49:09 PM »

I wonder if people knew Bon Jovi wrote the Blues if they would still like it.  Wink

Its an alright song, just bleeding cheese. It sounds dated, as I am sure it is. Last played in 2002... which was probably written in the 90's.

Madagascar is still the only song everyone can agree is good. Kinda sad for all the years he put into it. (Blah blah... "Big Guns...")

The VR boot didn't sound great on the first listen to be honest. I have now listened to it probably 15 times, I actually enjoy every song now. It really grows on you. It was alot like listening to Rhiad for me. Chinese Democracy is too simple for me in many ways. Cool intro riff though.

... I am glad I rambled on.

VAN: 11-7-2002 (RIOT!)
TACOMA: 11-8-2002
LONDON: 6-7-2006
DUBLIN: 6-9-2006
PARIS: 6-20-2006
ZURICH: 7-1-2006
CGY: 12-6-2006
EDM: 12-7-2006
CGY: 1-16-2010
EDM: 1-17-2010
SEA: 12-16-2011
VAN:
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2004, 11:52:00 PM »

CDS is FTP bon jovi like too?
I dont see how the blues is, since its just like dont cry or scom

eNgIeS
Rocker

OHHHH RIGGGHHHTT

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2004, 04:14:56 AM »

The VR boot didn't sound great on the first listen to be honest. I have now listened to it probably 15 times, I actually enjoy every song now. It really grows on you. It was alot like listening to Rhiad for me. Chinese Democracy is too simple for me in many ways. Cool intro riff though.

I agree. At first, the only new songs (meaning ones i havent heard before, as i've heard SMF & Slither like everyone else) i truely dug alot was Suckertrain Blues, Fall To Pieces & Big Machine, but since i've listened to the concert some more & the other songs have grown alot on me, such as Headspace & Illegal I. Do It For The Kids is the song i like the least but even thats decent

Besides this is from a poorly mixed concert, imagine the studio versions, we'll get a proper listen then & give a proper judgement, but these songs just keep growing on me
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2004, 02:35:37 PM »

After listening to that VR bootleg all I have to say is Axl has nothing to worry about.  These VR songs are very mediocre and the funny thing is their second single, like their first, is seriously lacking.  Fall to pieces is just not that mind blowing.  Didn?t Slash and the boys say this album will contain some of the best stuff they have ever written or at least since leaving gnr? Well this being the case I am very happy they are no longer with Axl since if these songs were going to be a gnr album I would be very disappointed.  Granted VR has Scott writing some very mediocre to average lyrics, but I don?t even think the guitar melodies are special enough to save these songs.  

The ironic thing is set me free is the best of the bunch and that song is just average at best.  I thought this band was going to change the face of music and bring back good ole rock n roll, well, based on these songs, they have not and will not.  

When I first heard the new gnr songs like Chinese Democracy, The blues, Madagascar etc, I couldn?t stop listening to them, that is how good they were and still are, since to this day I am still listening to them. I have listened to these VR songs a few times to get a feel for them, and to try and let them grow on me, but they just don?t hold my interest at all.  

The songs are just boring, the lyrics are lacking and the guitar melodies are decent, but I expected much more from Slash, especially after how much he has hyped his work on this album.  I am just thinking to myself, where are all these great riffs and melodies Slash claimed to have written? I just don?t hear them.

We have heard more than half of the VR album and two of them are the first two singles (slither and FTP), and if those are two of the best songs on this album then Contraband is going to be a huge disappointment.  On the other hand songs like CD, Madagascar and the Blues are just fillers on Chinese Democracy since they are not even being considered as singles, so what does that tell you?  It tells you VR has shown us the best songs they have to offer while Axl is still holding back his ?big guns?.  If Madagascar (and we all know how amazing it is) is not a big gun then it blows my mind how wonderful the big guns are going to be.

I am sorry VR fans, but judging from the songs we have heard from both VR and Gnr, the Chinese Democracy is going to wipe the floor with Contraband.  I am sure Axl has heard contraband and he is probably sitting in his Malibu mansion smiling to himself and knowing he will have the last laugh when CD is finally released.  Like I have said before, Slash needs Axl much more than Axl needs Slash and just listening to each bands new songs shows that.

Who said Axl has anything to worry about. You are the one who is constantly bringing up Axl over here. GnR and VR are two different bands. It is obvious that YOU are the one who is worried that VR will be more successful than Axl's circus. No one else really gives a shit.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 02:47:25 PM by tomass74 » Logged

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2004, 02:45:43 PM »

The thing I find funny and it amuses the hell out of me is this.
People can diss or give a negative view about Axl and the new gnr and their songs all they want but the second someone talks negative about or does not like a VR song so many people have a hissy fit.   rofl

And about my posts.
You can talk shit about my posts or even me all you want but when ever I write a long post on this board or anything they always seem to get a lot of views and replies.
I also get people to think; I don?t see anything wrong with that.
I don't drive a wedge between anyone; I just get peoples minds going on a good discussion.

You don'y make people think. You just annoy people and your posts are so off the wall people have to reply to put you in your place. Posts like these are hardly a "good" discussion.  

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2004, 02:48:31 PM »

Put me in my place? Keep telling yourself that. You can think what you want if it will make you sleep better at night.  peace

Like I have said before, and I will again to people like  you.
Why was it ok for people to always be comparing BH and Robin to slash in new gnr posts  yet now its not ok to compare axl and VR?

I just love your logic its so backwards.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 02:50:12 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Dizzy
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2004, 02:54:34 PM »

Put me in my place? Keep telling yourself that. You can think what you want if it will make you sleep better at night.

Kind of like you have to type LOL and  rofl every time, eh Dave?  Gotta let the idiots know you're laughing at them, right?
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2004, 03:27:58 PM »

Put me in my place? Keep telling yourself that. You can think what you want if it will make you sleep better at night.  peace

Why was it ok for people to always be comparing BH and Robin to slash in new gnr posts  yet now its not ok to compare axl and VR?

I dont do that. But anyway the reason peopel do is because Slash used to be in GnR. Axl was never fucking in VR......

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2004, 07:57:38 PM »

I dont do that. But anyway the reason peopel do is because Slash used to be in GnR. Axl was never fucking in VR......

So what if Axl was never in VR.
We are comparing people who used to be in gnr with the new gnr.
So I really don't see a difference, but alas VR do because the shoe is on the other foot. The fact of the matter is, certain people opened the door a long time ago comparing slash and duff with the new guys, now that we have songs to compare each other too I guess I am not allowed to do the comparing now? Nice try it does not work that way.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 07:59:23 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2004, 08:19:34 PM »

We are comparing people who used to be in gnr with the new gnr.
So I really don't see a difference, but alas VR do because the shoe is on the other foot. The fact of the matter is, certain people opened the door a long time ago comparing slash and duff with the new guys, now that we have songs to compare each other too I guess I am not allowed to do the comparing now? Nice try it does not work that way.
I agree with you on this one....Over the past few years all there was on the bgnr board was bashings of the new members, comaprisons to the old etc....now that vr are out there and fair game some people around here are taking offense to the comparisons and all that stuff. To those people...i say. deal with it...what goes around comes around.

bill213
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2004, 11:30:54 AM »

I'm not even gonna read the posts in this thread but I will state my opinion.  Axl does have something to worry about because Axl has nothing going for him but basically die hard fans these days.  As much as I'd love to see him make it and carry on GNR, Velvet Revolver has the spotlight right now, They're doing press, touring getting ready for an album release, they've released a single, they've got the press on their side and most DJ's, random music fans and such will all follow suit.  Funny how as much as people talk shit about Weiland being a junkie and such, he did show up for his first VR show of the tour and has continued and unflawed attendance record thus far.  
As for me, I still hope to see Axl get his shit in gear, but VR kicks ass.  I was skeptical at first with Set Me Free but I'm digging the new songs.  They're not so much huge radio bits but they are a kickback to rock n fucking roll as it was once known.  And this is a band that has become a family, you don't see Dave Kuschner using Slash to promote his solo albums  hihi  
Anyhow all in all....I think Axl should be worried and this should cause him to get his shit in gear.  I seriously have my doubts that Axl will even crack the top 10 in Billboard but to qoute him himself." i guess we'll have to wait and see"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: