Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  judging from the VR bootleg, Axl has nothing to worry about
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: judging from the VR bootleg, Axl has nothing to worry about  (Read 25928 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« on: May 20, 2004, 01:24:34 AM »

After listening to that VR bootleg all I have to say is Axl has nothing to worry about.  These VR songs are very mediocre and the funny thing is their second single, like their first, is seriously lacking.  Fall to pieces is just not that mind blowing.  Didn?t Slash and the boys say this album will contain some of the best stuff they have ever written or at least since leaving gnr? Well this being the case I am very happy they are no longer with Axl since if these songs were going to be a gnr album I would be very disappointed.  Granted VR has Scott writing some very mediocre to average lyrics, but I don?t even think the guitar melodies are special enough to save these songs.  

The ironic thing is set me free is the best of the bunch and that song is just average at best.  I thought this band was going to change the face of music and bring back good ole rock n roll, well, based on these songs, they have not and will not.  

When I first heard the new gnr songs like Chinese Democracy, The blues, Madagascar etc, I couldn?t stop listening to them, that is how good they were and still are, since to this day I am still listening to them. I have listened to these VR songs a few times to get a feel for them, and to try and let them grow on me, but they just don?t hold my interest at all.  

The songs are just boring, the lyrics are lacking and the guitar melodies are decent, but I expected much more from Slash, especially after how much he has hyped his work on this album.  I am just thinking to myself, where are all these great riffs and melodies Slash claimed to have written? I just don?t hear them.

We have heard more than half of the VR album and two of them are the first two singles (slither and FTP), and if those are two of the best songs on this album then Contraband is going to be a huge disappointment.  On the other hand songs like CD, Madagascar and the Blues are just fillers on Chinese Democracy since they are not even being considered as singles, so what does that tell you?  It tells you VR has shown us the best songs they have to offer while Axl is still holding back his ?big guns?.  If Madagascar (and we all know how amazing it is) is not a big gun then it blows my mind how wonderful the big guns are going to be.

I am sorry VR fans, but judging from the songs we have heard from both VR and Gnr, the Chinese Democracy is going to wipe the floor with Contraband.  I am sure Axl has heard contraband and he is probably sitting in his Malibu mansion smiling to himself and knowing he will have the last laugh when CD is finally released.  Like I have said before, Slash needs Axl much more than Axl needs Slash and just listening to each bands new songs shows that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 01:27:21 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 01:36:13 AM »

Well daveaxlfan, the thing I am sorriest about is that neither you nor I will never hear studio versions of any of Axl's songs because he is never going to release an album. What Axl needs to worry about is seeing a shrink so he can mentally prepare himself to move on with life and release a new guns album. Vr will be perfectly happy doing what their doing. So what if it isn't as good as new gnr....they all appear to be having fun and loving life and their fans are excited. That is alot more than can be said for Axl and fans of GNR right now.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 01:37:24 AM »

Dave isn't being slammed because he prefers the new band to Velvet Revolver. Plenty of posters have stated the same thing, but you don't see anyone getting slammed except Dave. The difference between Dave and the rest is that Dave acts completely juvenile about the whole matter. I have no problem with him not liking the material, but I can't take him seriously when behaves in such an immature fashion. It's like he went and deemed Velvet Revolver the enemy because they are not with his hero. So when he sees the enemy getting positive attention, he has to run in here and keep fighting for his hero and try to prove Axl is better because he has some sort of inferiority complex.

The other reason people are tired of him is because he is completely predictable. Can you honestly say Dave is being objective? No way in hell is he being objective. Dave doesn't like VR because he simply won't allow himself. He will never listen to them with an open mind because he feels he has to prove Axl is right. His mind was made up a long time ago. He isn't posting his opinion to contribute to a mature discussion, he is posting his thoughts as part of some bizarre crusade for Axl.

Compare him to D and younggunner and you will see what I mean. They both are "Axl fans" but they are listening to Velvet Revolver with an open mind. They may prefer GNR, but we all respect them because they can express their opinions in a mature, rational, manner. Dave just acts like he is an 8 year old arguing with another child over his favorite superhero.

Needless to say, Girlgunner nailed the above even before it happened.

Well done young lady.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 01:38:05 AM »

We will hear CD you can count on that. Geffen will make sure of it, they did not put $13 million into the album(s) not to relase it.  

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 01:38:15 AM »

Come June 8th Contraband is gonna be the better album out.  Thats only because we dont have a full length New Guns cd to compare it to. Hell I love madagascar.

I don't think Axl will ever release a new album. His downfall is he is a perfectionist. He just puts so much thought into his songs questioning them and wondering what people will think. I think the day after Axl Dies. (sorry to say) will be the day the CD gets released. I am sure Geffen has enough material to release albums for years to come (ie Jeff Buckly, Nirvana, Hendrix.)

So until Axl puts something out, anything out, Its hard to compare.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 01:40:59 AM »

Sure we will Dave...just like you said we had to hear it by last July....welll its a year later and we still are no closer to an album than we were 5 years ago. Keep telling yourself that though if it makes you feel better and lets you sleep well at night.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 01:49:08 AM »

Naupus, See I unlike some people don't let this album rule my life.
It comes out when it comes out.  I won?t lose sleep over it.
To me RIR 3 seems like not too long ago.
CD will be worth the wait whenever it comes out.
And yes I remain optimistic, nothing wrong with that.

Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 01:54:13 AM »

hmmmm thats odd...it sure seems like you are counting on it judging by your the way you've been talking about it for 6 years
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 01:54:34 AM »

These two brief reviews of tonight's chicago show have been posted on the VR forum:

A friend of mine from Chicago just got back from the show. He said it was an amazing show, same setlist. He thought "Big Machine" was tight. Matter of fact he loved all the songs
Scott jumped off the balcony which is 20ft from the ground during Sex Type Thing lol
The crowd went crazy during Set Me Free. The crowd chanted Fuck Axl Rose lol

I got my camera in, and I took some kickass pictures. I hope they all turn out. The best one was of Slash and Weiland back to back while Slash was in the midst of a solo.

The show was amazing. It was surreal seeing Scott Weiland and Slash on stage at the same time. Weiland looked healthier than he has in months, which I was very happy to see. I'll be posting a full review of the concert on Rik's site soon, and I will have those pics available by tomorrow. It's hard right now to describe the feeling of being there in words, so I'm gonna sleep on it so I can get the best review possible.

The best part though; the crowd starts chanting FUCK AXL ROSE!, and Slash walks up to the front of the stage and just laughs. "Is that completely necessary?" The crowd screamed back yes.

So Dave, what it really comes down to is this.  The band really doesn't care about your opinion, nor does it seem the fans do either.  It's your right to absolutely hate the shit out of all things VR.  In fact, I believe you have made it clear that you do.  We know where you stand...trust me.  If VR wrote Stairway to Heaven fused with Beethoven's 5th and A Day in the Life, you'd claim Axl's shit splashing in a toilet bowl was more pleasing to the ear.  Like I said, you like new GNR better, and that's fine.  Just quit trying to rain on everyone's parade who happens to like VR.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 01:59:39 AM »

" It's your right to absolutely hate the shit out of all things VR.  In fact, I believe you have made it clear that you do.  We know where you stand...trust me.  If VR wrote Stairway to Heaven fused with Beethoven's 5th and A Day in the Life, you'd claim Axl's shit splashing in a toilet bowl was more pleasing to the ear. "

Do you think Axl would overdub his shit hitting the toilet on a song? I mean you can hear some crazy ass over dubs on the UYI. Just a random thought.

Hell I wanted to go to the chicago show. I live inbetween Chicago and Detroit and scored Detroit Tickets. Thanks for the review I am pumped to see VR.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 02:06:39 AM »

if anyone could overdub taking a shit, it would be axl.  The guy is amazing, I love his music, and I love STP and VR.  It's just ashame that Axl's demons are getting the best of him.  I want to hear CD too.  I look at it this way...the more music created by people who know what rock is about, the better.  I just don't like Dave's posts.  All they do, in this forum at least, is drive a wedge between people.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 02:11:23 AM »

I just want Axl to beat his Demons. I feel if VR does very good Axl wont release an album because he might be afraid his wont sell as well. And if VR flops he might think no one wants more Ballad/ Hard Rock and wont release his album.  I love VR, GNR I just want to see them both succeed, and go onto great things because I believe they are all talented and deserve the spotlight,

FOR GODS SAKE people consider Limp Biskit good rock? He ruined Behind Blue Eyes.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 02:15:50 AM »

The thing I find funny and it amuses the hell out of me is this.
People can diss or give a negative view about Axl and the new gnr and their songs all they want but the second someone talks negative about or does not like a VR song so many people have a hissy fit.   rofl

And about my posts.
You can talk shit about my posts or even me all you want but when ever I write a long post on this board or anything they always seem to get a lot of views and replies.
I also get people to think; I don?t see anything wrong with that.
I don't drive a wedge between anyone; I just get peoples minds going on a good discussion.

oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 02:18:44 AM »

HAHA John, Don't get me started on Limp Bastard.  Fred Durst should be drug through the streets by his nuts, and fed to starving rats for his complete demolition of Behind Blue Eyes (one of my favorite songs of all time).  How do you replace the climax of a legendary song with a computer generated voice spelling out LIMP BIZKIT?  Sacrilege.  I think this is something dave might even agree with me on...feel the love.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 02:21:42 AM by oldleadbelly » Logged
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 02:22:03 AM »

HAHA John, Don't get me started on Limp Bastard.  Fred Durst should be drug through the streets by his nuts, and fed to starving rats for his complete demolition of Behind Blue Eyes (one of my favorite songs of all time).  How do you replace the climax of a legendary song with a computer generated voice spelling out LIMP BIZKIT?  Sacrelidge.

Yeah, I love the Who. I am planning on seeing them this year. I got $250 i am willing to spend to see them.  The look and sound of Roger Daltry when he picks up makes defines what is Rock and the way Fred cuts that out with some stupid shit is exactly why rock has been downhill.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
littlewing
Headliner

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 02:32:45 AM »

Axl shouldn't be worrying about VR, even if they were the biggest band in the world. I'm sure he's got enough issues of his own to deal with.

I guess I never got caught up in the whole "OMG axl backstabbed slash or slash dissed axl I have to choose a side" drama. Business issues, whether former bandmates like any given member... why would I care? I'm a fan of their music, not their personal life or business dealings. I don't think it's even fair to compare the two bands. VR is more riff based rock and we know axl loves those huge epic sounding songs. Even slash would tell you he perfers the straight-ahead rock. Axl's better at doing a lot of different styles, but I don't think that makes either of them better than the other. They do what they like, and as long as they both keep putting stuff out there I'll be happy.
John Hammond
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2004, 02:39:40 AM »

After listening to that VR bootleg all I have to say is Axl has nothing to worry about.  These VR songs are very mediocre and the funny thing is their second single, like their first, is seriously lacking.  Fall to pieces is just not that mind blowing.  Didn?t Slash and the boys say this album will contain some of the best stuff they have ever written or at least since leaving gnr? Well this being the case I am very happy they are no longer with Axl since if these songs were going to be a gnr album I would be very disappointed.  Granted VR has Scott writing some very mediocre to average lyrics, but I don?t even think the guitar melodies are special enough to save these songs.  

The ironic thing is set me free is the best of the bunch and that song is just average at best.  I thought this band was going to change the face of music and bring back good ole rock n roll, well, based on these songs, they have not and will not.  

When I first heard the new gnr songs like Chinese Democracy, The blues, Madagascar etc, I couldn?t stop listening to them, that is how good they were and still are, since to this day I am still listening to them. I have listened to these VR songs a few times to get a feel for them, and to try and let them grow on me, but they just don?t hold my interest at all.  

The songs are just boring, the lyrics are lacking and the guitar melodies are decent, but I expected much more from Slash, especially after how much he has hyped his work on this album.  I am just thinking to myself, where are all these great riffs and melodies Slash claimed to have written? I just don?t hear them.

We have heard more than half of the VR album and two of them are the first two singles (slither and FTP), and if those are two of the best songs on this album then Contraband is going to be a huge disappointment.  On the other hand songs like CD, Madagascar and the Blues are just fillers on Chinese Democracy since they are not even being considered as singles, so what does that tell you?  It tells you VR has shown us the best songs they have to offer while Axl is still holding back his ?big guns?.  If Madagascar (and we all know how amazing it is) is not a big gun then it blows my mind how wonderful the big guns are going to be.

I am sorry VR fans, but judging from the songs we have heard from both VR and Gnr, the Chinese Democracy is going to wipe the floor with Contraband.  I am sure Axl has heard contraband and he is probably sitting in his Malibu mansion smiling to himself and knowing he will have the last laugh when CD is finally released.  Like I have said before, Slash needs Axl much more than Axl needs Slash and just listening to each bands new songs shows that.
eNgIeS
Rocker

OHHHH RIGGGHHHTT

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004, 03:30:45 AM »

Dave isn't being slammed because he prefers the new band to Velvet Revolver. Plenty of posters have stated the same thing, but you don't see anyone getting slammed except Dave. The difference between Dave and the rest is that Dave acts completely juvenile about the whole matter. I have no problem with him not liking the material, but I can't take him seriously when behaves in such an immature fashion. It's like he went and deemed Velvet Revolver the enemy because they are not with his hero. So when he sees the enemy getting positive attention, he has to run in here and keep fighting for his hero and try to prove Axl is better because he has some sort of inferiority complex.

The other reason people are tired of him is because he is completely predictable. Can you honestly say Dave is being objective? No way in hell is he being objective. Dave doesn't like VR because he simply won't allow himself. He will never listen to them with an open mind because he feels he has to prove Axl is right. His mind was made up a long time ago. He isn't posting his opinion to contribute to a mature discussion, he is posting his thoughts as part of some bizarre crusade for Axl.

Compare him to D and younggunner and you will see what I mean. They both are "Axl fans" but they are listening to Velvet Revolver with an open mind. They may prefer GNR, but we all respect them because they can express their opinions in a mature, rational, manner. Dave just acts like he is an 8 year old arguing with another child over his favorite superhero.

Needless to say, Girlgunner nailed the above even before it happened.

Well done young lady.

Dave keeps avoiding this, but the fact is, its probably the tru-ist thing anyone has wrote about Dave's ways
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 05:27:31 AM »

judging from 2 Roxy videos and Mineapolis bootleg Axl is past Smiley
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2004, 05:43:43 AM »

Well it really does add up to personal opinion Dave.

And lets get it clear Slash is a great muscian but Axl is better by a good length, of course CD will be the better album but at least VR have got one out thats the point.

Slash doesnt NEED Axl but lets not deny having those 2 togethor would make the quality of music better.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: