Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 12:23:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  slither review
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: slither review  (Read 9409 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« on: May 15, 2004, 01:30:09 PM »

Rating: 75%
Band: Velvet Revolver
Song: Slither

Velvet Revolver slither in

Album: Contraband
Release date: Summer 2004

It would have been too cheesy to use a headline mixing wording from the bands Guns N' Roses and Stone Temple Pilots. Because that's what you can expect from the majority of the rest of the media in the next couple of months as new superband Velvet Revolver hope to invade rock radio, MTV and VH1.

The name itself [Velvet Revolver] is already cheesy anyway.

Yet another celebrity star band on paper, in the vein of A Perfect Circle, 'Revolver' is compromised of guitarist Dave Kushner, lead singer Scott Weiland (ex-STP) and features the grand trilogy of former GNR fame, Matt Sorum (drums), Duff McKagan (bass) and that bluesy, Les Paul-swinging living legend, Slash (guitars).

New listeners and/or fans of these artists in their old lineups will likewise also first and foremost just await clarity: Is this a one-off or a 'band' that plans on making music and touring with purpose? Allegedly, 'Revolver' mean business.

Slither, their first single, is pretty good.

Before you can say "no WMD in Iraq" it becomes apparent that the creative output of joining the groovy and psychedelic pop-indie version of Led Zep that was STP at their best, with the hard-nosed, daring and pounding rock and roll of GNR, is a winner. At first.

Slash serves up a trademark original and cool riff that drives the tight and funky pocket courtesy of McKagan and Sorum, while Weiland sticks to his guns (yeah, I know) in vocally surfing the music like he did in STP. A great track, really, for a throwback. The solo alone (pure Slash) is killer.

Naturally, the greatest test and comparison of 'Revolver' and Slither is to measure it against one Axl Rose and his new version of GNR. Since Rose has no new material out yet (amazing) we have to let that one rest. Okay, c'mom, let's get real: We've all heard 'Madagascar' (much bootlegged live track from the forbidden GNR album, 'Chinese Democracy') and it alone reaffirms why Rose was so important. Scorching, soul-searching and poetic rock music wrapped in a majestic melodic cloth that burns itself to the skin. Slither is hardly that.

Weiland, who wrote the lyrics, is fair game in that sense. "Always keep me under finger, that's the spot where you might linger, but I see sometime the pleasure in my mind," Scott struts like a peacock on dope (alas, pun intended) and we then might just imagine Rose smiling from somewhere within his white mansion in the Malibu hills. Lyrically or vocally, Scott Weiland is no Axl Rose.

To further compare the two camps, producer Bob Ezrin (Pink Floyd) had done Slither with 'Revolver' before the band chose to re-record it with Josh Abraham instead. Ezrin is said to be working on 'Democracy' with Rose.

On the upside, Slither is undeniably catchy and offers some bare-bones adult rock n' roll that is definately missing from the scene today. Whether the album maintains that standard and whether this band has a future (never forget Slash's two poor SnakePit albums with shifting lineups) depends on - yes - sales.

That's a bummer because they do rock. Name and all.

Slither can be heard and viewed (video filmed at the El Rey in Los Angeles) here: www.belowempty.com/vr/index.php

Bill Oxly
ROX OFF

thanks to rainfox from the bar

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 02:35:05 PM »

Thanks for that awesome review Dave, Chinese Democracy starts now Man!!!!!!!!!!

Of course Maddy is a better song than Slither. They're different songs though, one is a dramatic ballad type and the other is a straight rock song. VR aren't trying to write over produced, over dramatic songs like Maddy....just some straight forward rock and role. If your measure of a songs greatness are synthesizers, samples and organs than Maddy is your guy. If you want a great solo and some straight forward rock....Slither is your guy. To compare these two is like comparing apples to oranges. They're totally different.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 02:49:49 PM »

The guitar solo in madagascar esp the rio one is much better than the slither one. The lyrics are also by far better.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 02:56:53 PM »

Well....given you can barely hear the solo given the ridiculous amount of samples in the song it is kind of hard to make that assumption. I like Maddy, but again, Slither was designed to be radio friendly and introduce people to VR which it is doing a mighty fine job of. Maddy is a dramatic song about Axl and whatever emotional problems he seems to be having, SLither is a rock song.....they are not meant to accomplish the same thing. For all we know Maddy is one of the best songs Axl has recorded. I believe his big guns comment about as much as his the album will be out soon comments. Easy to say you have better stuff tucked away when you won't let anyone hear it. I have a revolutionary album at home too, but I am not gonna share it. I used to think Axl did have all this great stuff stored away.....but I am starting to believe if that was true we would have at least heard an album by now as over the last 7 years I am sure there has to be at least 16 finished songs that are worthy of being released. Kind of makes you wonder.
thegoat77
Headliner

Guitar legend. Simple as that

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 03:06:53 PM »

I agree, Slither and Maddy are 2 different types of songs, i love them both.

The Slither solo is better than the newer slowed down Maddy solo, think they should put it back to the original faster solo although i doubt they will.

That sort of frustrates me, with all the tweaking of CD, great stuff like the original solo are being lost, i would guess. Some things are better if we'd all just let them be. I'm sure somebody said that once.

Back to the topic, the review seems pretty much the same as what most other reviews have been. They all seem to think its a decent song, nothing revolutionary though. Personally, I love Slither

You cant trust freedom when its not in your hand, when everyones fighting for the promised land
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 03:23:42 PM »

I can hear the solo just fine, so I am not sure what you are talking about, maybe  your stereo just sucks. Oh and slither was made to be radio-friendly? That my friend is called selling out. They should make music for themselves not for what they think will be popualr on the radio.  

And again, at rio and hob the songs were never meant to be played that fast, the band was nervious and that is why they were played at a faster tempo.
As for madagascar the solo has never been slowed down its still the same tempo and the closest solo to rio was the pitt one.

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 03:46:02 PM »

Making a radio friendly song is not selling out. They are a new band, they have to put something on there that is going to attract some fans. Putting out an 8 minute opus with 25 synthesizers, 4 orchestra's, 9 grand piano's and 14 lead guitars as a first single would not have been the greatest idea. See, unlike Axl who has a built in brand name to use, GNR, VR has to build their brand themselves. I promise you if Axl's solo project wasn't called GNR, that he would be facing the same issues as VR. So I see nothing wrong with putting out a straight forward rock song like Slither right off the bat that just happens to cross over to modern rock and classic rock stations. If they had Sebastian Bach, they may have better songs but what good would they be if no one heard them. GNR is going to be pigeon holed at some point with that same issue just given the name, so I don't think VR has done anything wrong releasing a song like Slither right off the bat.

And I think the Maddy Solo is good, but the samples aren't needed......extend the solo a bit and make a classic out of it. The production sometimes gets a little ridiculous with Axl sometimes. More is not always better.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 04:27:10 PM »

VR does not have to build anything.
Every review they have had mention gnr and stp.
Btw if VR had Bach they would have been a joke.
Atleast with Scott they have a chance.

And listen to the few new gnr songs we have heard, they are all different from each other.

As for the samples in madagascar, i love them, they make a great song just that much better.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 04:28:12 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 05:02:13 PM »

Oh and slither was made to be radio-friendly? That my friend is called selling out.

Yea I guess in that regard , SCOM, PC, WTTJ were all "sell out" type songs.  Roll Eyes
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 06:16:04 PM »

Oh and slither was made to be radio-friendly? That my friend is called selling out.

Yea I guess in that regard , SCOM, PC, WTTJ were all "sell out" type songs.  Roll Eyes

No, if the old GN'R had one "sell-out song", it would be "Don't Cry". They knew it might be a hit and saved it so they could make another record in case AFD didn't sell.

Axl even admits it in the "Making Of Don't Cry".  Tongue

PC is about six minutes long, hardly radio friendly is it?

SCOM was edited for radio play (shortened) so it didn't seem like it was written for radio from the start. If it was, why didn't they make it a three minute song from the beginning?

But I suspect RCA has a lot of power over what VR does. Like making Scott do edits.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 06:29:58 PM »

u cant compare a ballad to a rocker

but slither is better than any new rocker axl has done

im defeated i admit it! im an axl nuttswinger to the millionth power

but have any of u sit back and watched that fuckin video

god damn im so proud of duff and slash and scott  when i watch that, holy fuck its amazing!

they dont compare to audioslave or any other super groups they fuckin blow them out of the fuckin water

i cant describe how great slither is and if it isnt one of the best on the cd that makes me more excited than u can imagine!

falcon hates power ballads so i wanna know how awesome fall to pieces is

cmon falcon get off the not likin power ballads and tell us from a ballad lovin persons point of view if it is awesome or not!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2004, 06:35:21 PM »

they dont compare to audioslave or any other super groups they fuckin blow them out of the fuckin water

I still think "Cochise" was a better single than "Slither".

"Cochise" made me want to buy the album based on that one song alone. "Slither" makes me want to hear more before buying. I'll still buy it because of the GN'R connection, but you get the point.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2004, 07:21:29 PM »

It's nice to hear it go both ways. Madagascar deserves praise because it's a kick ass song despite what some want you to think.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2004, 07:37:25 PM »

See, unlike Axl who has a built in brand name to use, GNR, VR has to build their brand themselves. I promise you if Axl's solo project wasn't called GNR, that he would be facing the same issues as VR
Dude, that is the most lame thing. Everytime I read a VR review they always mention gnr and stp. Everytime the dj plays slither they say that they are from gnr and stp. Please dont make it out to be like no1 knows who vr is.

Gnr and Vr will have all th einitial hype and buzz based on who they are and what they have done. What will make them successful commercially is the album and ticket sales along with their singles remaining on the radio in heavy rotation {like apc, audislave,lp etc"}months after they are released.

And I think the Maddy Solo is good, but the samples aren't needed......extend the solo a bit and make a classic out of it. The production sometimes gets a little ridiculous with Axl sometimes. More is not always better.
Maddy is not meant to be a rocker or a hit single. Its a song that uses art to express its meaning. The samples tell a story. Its very creative and unique and something different. Its not meant to be a song for the masses.

Its the type of song that helps make an overall album great. The funny thing is...its a great song....thats why i dont worry about the album. its gonna be a beauty.....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2004, 08:22:38 PM »

I don't see why it is necessary to compare Slither to Madagascar. They are two totally different pieces of music. It would be much better to compare O My God to Slither, because both are heavy and more up-tempo, and both are actual releases. Hah, not too many people would pick OMG over Slither.

Now, when have straight forward rockers had the same type of depth in their lyrics and meaning than ballads? The whole point of a slow slong like Maddy is to convey a profound introspective meaning. That is also why it is easier to make a song like Maddy timeless and unforgetable... look at some of the most respected songs... like Stairway and Let it Be... in my opinion people just eat those up quite easily because it's more easy to be up close and personal in that genre. Therefore, I think comparing Slither to Maddy is just another desperate attempt by Dave and the Axl Suckers to try and downplay VR's accomplishments.

Let's rather compare Fall To Pieces and Maddy. I think Madagascar still has a good chance of winnign that debate because in my opinion, it is a seriously good song (I love Axl's work).
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2004, 08:55:24 PM »

falcon hates power ballads so i wanna know how awesome fall to pieces is

cmon falcon get off the not likin power ballads and tell us from a ballad lovin persons point of view if it is awesome or not!

Ok D, here you go...

"Fall to Pieces" seems to be a deeply emotional song for Scott.
Extremely melodic guitars mixed with Weilands outpouring
vocals.  Big power ballad solo in the middle, everything someone who likes that type of tune will dig..

You'll love it dude...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2004, 08:59:58 PM »

youre damn right falcon! i love that shit!

jarmo cochise was ok but its personal taste i guess, i prefer scott over chris cornell and i definitelyprefer slash over tom morello

i still havent bought audioslaves cd but i can guarantee u ill be in line first thing the morning contraband is released to purchase it

slither didnt do much for me the first couple listens

but holy shit watchin the video it is awesome!

if anyone hasnt see the video and hasnt watched them interact, watch the video u may find yourself loving this song as much as i do!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2004, 09:08:43 PM »

And listen to the few new gnr songs we have heard, they are all different from each other.

Yes they are, one person's diversity can also be construed as unfocused and lacking musical direction...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2004, 09:41:33 PM »

You can have your cake and eat it too. You really don't have to decide which band is better, you can like them both

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
slashedguns
Rocker

Time went by and it all went up in smoke

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2004, 11:08:02 PM »

You can have your cake and eat it too. You really don't have to decide which band is better, you can like them both
Some of us can like them both,some of us cant like anything that Axl does not endorse..hmm i can think of a few names,,,cant you?? ok

ASSESMENT: WASTE OF AMMO
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: