Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 04:02:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar comparison in Slither review...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar comparison in Slither review...  (Read 32222 times)
Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2004, 02:16:15 AM »

I love how people automatically accuse people of not being able to handle negative criticism towards Velvet Revolver just because they point out the flaws in this article. Maybe some of you are desperately trying to cling onto anything positive towards Axl's GNR that you are blinded to the flaws in this piece. It doesn't bother me in the least that someone may think Madgascar is better. That's perfectly fine with me because everyone has their preferences. However, I don't appreciate shoddy journalism.

If this review is legit (which I'm convinced it's not - we would have gotten a source by now), then I think the writer should think about a new career because he has no business in writing since this piece is terribly flawed. Not only does it contain grammatical mistakes and poor writing skills in general, but it's irresponsible to compare the two songs. First of all, the writer is wrong in assuming that everyone has heard Madagascar and I'm fairly certain any music journalist would know this. Madagascar is an unreleased track that can only be found on bootlegs. The only people who has heard it are us diehards that seek it out. The average person reading a review like this is totally clueless about Madgascar. Secondly, you don't compare a studio version of a song to a live version (unless they are the same song) of a song because the live version is likely a rough version. We have no clue as to what it finally will sound like or even make it onto Chinese Democracy. Most importantly, it's just silly to compare two totally different bands. The guy is completely wrong saying the greatest test is to measure it against the new GNR. It's comparing apples to oranges. If one is better that doesn't mean the other isn't good. A fairer and more accurate comparison would be to old GNR and even STP to see how these guys progressed (or not) from their glory days.

You said it all, I can?t look to this article and see it?made by a journalist anymore...

And if it was a journalist, he would probably mention the Scott problems with drugs...  smoking

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2004, 02:23:18 AM »

it doesn't matter who wrote it, it's an opinion anyway and i'm happy to see someone who appreciates madagascar.

Why not compare the two best songs, as far as we know are the best ones? You don't have to choose two songs of similiar style to make a fair comparison? Madagascar and slither aren't so far removed like disco and motown that they can't be place side to side and studied. Honestly, some of you VR fans need to chill out and take criticism better.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2004, 02:31:40 AM »

killingvector, I DO think Madagascar is great...

But "who wrote" makes difference. If I create a topic and say "My World is by far better than November Rain" will you get happy, supposing you hate NR?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 02:32:25 AM by Fuckin' Gunner » Logged

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2004, 02:47:17 AM »

it doesn't matter who wrote it, it's an opinion anyway and i'm happy to see someone who appreciates madagascar.

Why not compare the two best songs, as far as we know are the best ones? You don't have to choose two songs of similiar style to make a fair comparison? Madagascar and slither aren't so far removed like disco and motown that they can't be place side to side and studied. Honestly, some of you VR fans need to chill out and take criticism better.

Well you're right that it's an opinion either way, but music journalists hold more clout and some take their opinion as gospel.

Well, Madagascar being GNR's best is a matter of opinion because I certainly don't agree that one. I don't mind if fans compare the two songs because that's iexpected  but it's simply shoddy music journalism to compare two entirely unrelated songs from two different bands. Like I said, it's apples and oranges.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2004, 02:54:12 AM »

LOL

You seriously are putting stock in a report filed by Bill Oxly from Rox Of ? LOL

Any online critic is a badge seperated from one of us.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2004, 03:09:52 AM »

I'm not putting stock into anything. I just know the difference between good writing and bad writing. I think those who are taking this as gospel are the ones putting too much stock into it. Or those who need need someone to say they like Madgascar so they can feel like their own opinion is validated. It's just an opinion piece to me. A poorly written one at that.
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2004, 07:44:49 AM »

Id ask you to point to an example., but I know you wont.  However, if youd like to, please feel free.

And Ill make this clear, because some people arent as bright as others:  My issue is not that they like new GNR or "Madagascar" better than VR or "Slither".  If you read my posts, youll see not one single pertaining to that fact.  Its that they make it the centerpiece to their "review" of "Slither" I took issue with.  I dont any being reviewed should be compared to another like that, especially two songs that have nothing to do with one another.  If somebody reviews "The Blues" and the centers that review around whether or not its better than a VR song - its still a bad review.

Ha, my point exactly. I remember taking issue with an OMG review which refered to the reviewers loathing of the GN'R version of Sympathy for the Devil. I said what the fuck does that have to do with OMG. It's totally irrelevant and had nothing to do with OMG.

You didn't take issue with that. Despite at least a couple of posts in that particular thread you didn't even mention it, or tell us how it makes it a bad review. Now it's something against VR, you can't stop going on about it.

@#$%Muther

chas
Headliner

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2004, 09:16:40 AM »

Hehe we got the Booker show on again, how exciting!!!  

Booker, i think its pretty clear to us all by now that you'll go any length to tear down a  review which reflects well on Axl and his music, you'd complain about the style, language, context or whatever to undermine the writers opinion. Its also very clear that your a die-hard Slash fanatic, a bitter fanatic whose head is too far up Slash's ass to accept any sort of criticism. The person who wrote the piece says that he prefers Madagascar to Slither, no type of grammar mistake you pick out will change that, so live with it. You are behaving like a big hypocrite always complaining about  people on this board defending and praising Axl, yet you do exactly the same with Slash but with a big difference, you do it in a GnR forum. You should also apologize for labelling people opinions in this thread as 'idiocy' just because they don't agree with you.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 10:59:04 AM by chas » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2004, 10:50:30 AM »

Regardless, the two songs shouldnt be compared at all.  Theres no reason for it.
Says fukin who dude. WHy are you making this a project. ALL the guy did was compare lyrics from a new gnr songs to the lyrics of a vr song. He wasnt trying to show his favortism or any of that shit. His article was more about the lyrics and why axl is better becuase of songs like maddy. Theres no reason for you to analyze it anymore than that.
If hes attempting to prove that Weilands werent his best, dont you think it would make a little more sense to compare them to Weilands better lyrics?
How many VR songs have we heard so far? He has prob only heard stm and slither. He is comparing vr to gnr. Not stp.
The only reason to bring up Axl, therefore turning him into the reviews focal point, is simply to demonstrate how much he likes Axl and "Madagascar".  And that would be fine if it were a comparative essay, but its supposed to be a review about "Slither".  And bringing up unrelated songs and explaining why theyre better is inappropriate, in any case.  
I really feel bad for you, i really do.
Im going to conatct all journalists from now on and tell them they must consult you before they write anything on gnr/vr.
You act like journalist try to bring up axl and praise him all the time. The guy never gets any positive press{whetehr you think he doesnt deserve it or not, not the point). To say that this journalist went out of his way just to bash vr is dumb. Maybe the guy thinks maddy shits all over slither. He happens to be right but thats his opinion. You dont hae to agree. But you also dont have to be a lil pussy about it. holy shit.

The songs might be unrelated but not what the guy was dicussing,lyrics. therefore the type of song is irreleavnt.

I havent seen an article that has done that yet...maybe youre referring to Maxims one sentence?  If so, Ive said before that it was a poor review for just that reason - it focused on shit that had nothing to do with the music.  Feel free to search for that thread and see for yourself.
Dude theres been countless articles over the years that make fun of axl and the new band. Whether its reviewing the past tour or discussing vr, gnr always find itself in an article and there always getting ripped.

I love how people automatically accuse people of not being able to handle negative criticism towards Velvet Revolver just because they point out the flaws in this article
I love how people exploit non topic things such as how professional the article is. WHo the fuck cares. We arent discussing jounralism. We are discussing what the guy said. Plus no "Axl fan" disects an unfair negative article on gnr. They discuss whats being discussed. not dismiss it because of its errors or unprofessinilaism. who the fuck cares.

Maybe some of you are desperately trying to cling onto anything positive towards Axl's GNR that you are blinded to the flaws in this piece
Well being that everything about new gnr is negative for the most part and so off base its not even funny theres an article that actually is positive for a change. Who cares about the flaws in the piece? WOw you peopel need a life.

It doesn't bother me in the least that someone may think Madgascar is better. That's perfectly fine with me because everyone has their preferences. However, I don't appreciate shoddy journalism.
Thats fine. but why make a big deal of the journalism who cares. We are not discussing journalism here.

Shoddy jounralism should be a surprise. Read about 95% of articles concerning gnr over the past few years and you will see it at its best. But no1 brings it up becase who cares and if some1 did they would be labeled an axl loyalist who cant take a negative review.

but it's irresponsible to compare the two songs
He wasnt comparing songs. He was discussing lyrics. Theres only a handful of new gnr songs and new vr songs out there. He said lyrics like maddy show why axl is a great songwriter and lyrics in slither show why weiland isnt. Nothing more nothing less.
First of all, the writer is wrong in assuming that everyone has heard Madagascar and I'm fairly certain any music journalist would know this. Madagascar is an unreleased track that can only be found on bootlegs. The only people who has heard it are us diehards that seek it out. The average person reading a review like this is totally clueless about Madgascar. Secondly, you don't compare a studio version of a song to a live version (unless they are the same song) of a song because the live version is likely a rough version. We have no clue as to what it finally will sound like or even make it onto Chinese Democracy
How is he wrong for discussing an unreleased track. He giving his readers insight if they havnt heard it.
The studio to live thing is bullshit. WHat is so hard to understand baout this....HE ISNT COMPARING SONG STYLES. He is comparing lyrics. He doesnt even need to hear the song. Write the lyrics on paper if it makes u happy.
Most importantly, it's just silly to compare two totally different bands. The guy is completely wrong saying the greatest test is to measure it against the new GNR. It's comparing apples to oranges. If one is better that doesn't mean the other isn't good. A fairer and more accurate comparison would be to old GNR and even STP to see how these guys progressed (or not) from their glory days.
I know godfor bid we compare bands. I for the most part agree with what you said. But the comparison between vr and gnr will always come up. its only natural and something each band will have to deal with. Weiland is alreadys howing signs of cracking when it comes to this. Imagine when cd does come out and the comparisons are in every article. There will be a few more statements on that webiste of his Grin

Honestly, some of you VR fans need to chill out and take criticism better.
There handling it just fine. Disecting articles and shit. pussies. Its ok when cd comes out its gonna shit all over all of you i cant wait. Then youll disect those reviews and tell me how they are obsessed with axl. while you do that ill be listening to the greatest cd ever made.

Ha, my point exactly. I remember taking issue with an OMG review which refered to the reviewers loathing of the GN'R version of Sympathy for the Devil. I said what the fuck does that have to do with OMG. It's totally irrelevant and had nothing to do with OMG.

You didn't take issue with that. Despite at least a couple of posts in that particular thread you didn't even mention it, or tell us how it makes it a bad review. Now it's something against VR, you can't stop going on about it.
of course not. It blasted the new band unfairly and peopel who were offended got bashed for not being able to handle a negative review. How things come full circle. the funny thing is this wasnt a negative article...im sure they will come as we go though cant wait to hear those protests....

Booker, i think its pretty clear to us all by now that you'll go any length to tear down a positive review on Axl, you'd complain about the style, language, context or whatever to undermine the writers opinion.
Thats been clear a long time ago. Booker seems liek the type of person who wants the cake and eat it too. he claims he lieks gnr yet i never see him go to any great lenghts to defend them. He might come out with some smart sentence here and there and try to appear objective but its such horseshit. I could careless either way. You give me a good laugh booker. i appreciate it

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
slashedguns
Rocker

Time went by and it all went up in smoke

« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2004, 11:05:04 AM »

I feel sorry for you Younggunner. You are going to deny yourself even the chance of liking VRs music because of you blind loyalty to a man who delivers very little peace

ASSESMENT: WASTE OF AMMO
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2004, 11:13:50 AM »

I feel sorry for you Younggunner. You are going to deny yourself even the chance of liking VRs music because of you blind loyalty to a man who delivers very little
Like many of you here...you have no clue what your talking about. I like vr. STP has been one of my favorite bands and I liek slash. I like slither. I thinks its a good song. Vr is my appetizer to the main course. They will keep many peopel occupied till the big boys are ready to come out and play.
Just because gnr is a better band and has more potential doesnt mean i dont liek vr. If i think liek that i would only like gnr and no other band. And that is not the case. I love music. all kinds.

And your so far off base that im prob goin to see vr when they come to ny. imagine that. gee golly. I might even bring my good friend buckethead to the show..i want him to meet slash..any1 feel like dancing?.. Grin

i have always said vr will rock but gnr will rock the world.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 11:20:30 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2004, 01:32:09 PM »

however, Ive never seen anybody talk up a Snakepit song like Ive seen some on here talk about "Madagascar" or "The Blues".
I don't know if that's necessarily a fair comparison, because the Snakepit albums were complete shit and unlikely to be talked up by anyone. Considering how much better "Set Me Free," "You Got No Right," and "Slither" are compared to the best of Snakepit, I think we can get a pretty good idea of how much of a mess it was putting those two albums together. The Velvet Revolver songs have been lyrically simplistic (no meaning beyond a literal level), but they work a lot better than the Snakepit albums which were essentially words thrown on top of Slash's guitar parts.

It seemed to me like Slash wanted to head closer to rocking out like Appetite, while Axl wanted to go in the direction of the Illusions albums with maybe a little more artistic merit and mainstream appeal. If that is the case, it's a simple ideologic difference (with neither side in the right or wrong) and I don't see why there needs to be so much hostility between the two sides on this board. In addition, the pure nature of this ideologic difference suggests Axl/Slash will have two different types of music therefore making comparisons a futile task.

nice post. Now can you rationalize the lawsuit?

Strategical instead of personal? VR claims they want to get away from GN'R, but they're playing GN'R songs left and right. They would obviously benefit by having rights to the songs. These guys are professionals, they're not just going to go to court over a personal vendetta.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2004, 02:15:01 PM »

I tried to get tickets to the show in LV, but it sold out already. Compare to GnR 2 years back there were tickets almost until the show started.

That is only because the venues VR are playin at have a capacity of (the biggest one) 3000 people.

I love VR (and I'm really beggining to like Scott) but to compare the ticket sales of these 2 tours is unfair.

GNR played in 10000 to 20000 capacity venues and VR play at 1300-3000 venues.

And if you're only talking about LV, how much did VR's tickets cost and how much did GNR's tickets cost?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 02:20:20 PM by AxlGreece » Logged

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2004, 03:09:53 PM »

I think it should be Axl who should realize that Slash, Duff & Izzy were the ones who "made the diffierence". I love the way you Axl fans love to give all of GNR's credit to Axl and none of it to the other guys in the band. I think its safe to say that GNR would not have been GNR without Slash, Duff, and Izzy.

This is pretty acurate I'm afraid.

I tried to get tickets to the show in LV, but it sold out already. Compare to GnR 2 years back there were tickets almost until the show started.

Scalpers snatching them up or not (there was an 8 ticket max online) it still would mean the the scalpers knew that the demand was there for this band.....

And BTW: Even if Scott fell of the wagon...he'd still show up for the show!  hihi

There is a reason for this.
Its because gnr played arenas while VR are playing clubs.

If gnr played clubs then it would have been impossible to get tix.
Its not too hard to sell a few thousand seats in a club.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
badapple81
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2004, 06:54:21 PM »

slithers riff buries chinese democracys come on

dave playin it low slash comes in with his awesome lead higher up over top of it

name one new gnr song that has guitar playin like slither?

answer

none!

cmon guys, im one of the top 10 axl worshippers on the board

but i also give credit where credit is due

slither's riff destroys any playin by the new gnr guitarists and the solo is better than any new gnr solo

im sure fall to pieces guitar work is far superior to "the blues' and maddy's guitar work

im not sayin it will be a better song but im sure slash's guitar melodies are far superior to any of new gnrs

Slither's riff is awesome.. when I heard the start of the song I was blown away.. unfortunately as the song went on I was very disappointed.
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2004, 07:41:45 PM »

Some of you act as if someone comparing Velvet Revolver to GNR is something new. It's not, and it will always happen. And it just so happens that almost everyone that has heard anything from either camp can clearly say GNR is more talented, lyrically and musically. The songs that are compared are irrelevant, it's what's behind the songs that they're comparing. He just basically said that had they stayed with Axl, they'd be doing a lot better being complimented by his talent, rather than Weiland's.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
TIPSY
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2004, 08:23:33 PM »

Some of you act as if someone comparing Velvet Revolver to GNR is something new. It's not, and it will always happen. And it just so happens that almost everyone that has heard anything from either camp can clearly say GNR is more talented, lyrically and musically. The songs that are compared are irrelevant, it's what's behind the songs that they're comparing. He just basically said that had they stayed with Axl, they'd be doing a lot better being complimented by his talent, rather than Weiland's.

The reality of all this is when you hear VR on the radio who will you automatically think of?  

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS

Everyone will think that STP has a new album out.

On the other hand, Axl has one of the most recognizable voices in Rock.

I can guarantee you that GNR music will blow away any rendition of what "NEW STP" will have.

What Axl has in store for us is great.  It will make everyone forget all the bs and make everyone remember why Axl Rose defined Rock smoking

And VR will follow the footprints of snakepit and others....... smoking

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2004, 08:39:49 PM »

I was just thinking about this with all the just wait for what Axl has in store for all of us talk, and it dawned on me.....what does he really have in store for us. I want to hear CD as bad as the next guy, but he is a 42 year old man not getting any younger who hasn't released an album in 10 years. Is it possible he is just so out of touch with reality right now that we will never see CD because for whatever reason he is just never going to finish it. I would argue he only has about a 3-4 year window at this point before he is too old to pull off any type of dramatic comeback as not many people are going to take a 46-7 year old man with a shell of his former voice very seriously. I just don't understand why the prime of his career has been piddled away with no releases or no nothing. The time is now for this to work......each day that passes knocks another day off of his vaibility because before long people will laugh at GNR the way they did later versions of Steven Tyler and Mic Jagger as an old men who can still somewhat rock but are nothing like what they used to be. I don't want that for Axl, but unless he gets it together soon we are heading for that territory. I mean 3 albums and 2-3 years of touring sounded great 5 years ago when Axl was 37, but at this point at 42 and only getting older his window of viability is getting smaller.
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2004, 12:50:22 AM »

On the other hand, Axl has one of the most recognizable voices in Rock.

I can guarantee you that GNR music will blow away any rendition of what "NEW STP" will have.

EXACTLY! When someone hears 'Slither' on the radio, no one would ever be able to say "Hey, that sounds like GNR". But when they hear 'Madagascar' on the radio (one day), they'll say "Hey, that's GNR", all because Axl is the difference maker...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Hung Well
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2004, 04:25:35 PM »

Two good songs, but I don't feel that any of them would be a song to remember in ten years.
Well Maddy is going on like 4 yrs now. And still going strong.

Do what??  Maddy is going strong.  Uh, yeah with the hundred or so diehard GNR fans here.  But what do you expect?  These are the same people who unanimously liked OMG.

I think Axl could take a shit on a box and people here would be all about that too.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 04:26:44 PM by Hung Well » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: