Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:27:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar comparison in Slither review...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar comparison in Slither review...  (Read 32200 times)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2004, 06:27:56 PM »

Because I know how to read.

confused

It even stated the name of the guy who wrote it.

Ah, so its impossible for a message board poster to write an elaboate wannabe review and put there name at the bottom?  I see...Well Ive still yet to see any kind of source.  

Besides, what says that an Axl fan can't give a objective review of a VR song?

Two paragraphs dedicated to the greatness of Axl and "Madagascar" in a review thats supposedly about "Slither".

If I wanted an opinion on "Slither", I wouldn't ask the world's biggest Slash fan for it. Because then it would be "the best song ever written".  Tongue

Then the same would apply for a GNR song and Axl fans, right?  Because youre actually much more likely to get an overzealous response like that from some of the posters in this thread.

give it up dude.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2004, 06:28:12 PM »

Ah, so its impossible for a message board poster to write an elaboate wannabe review and put there name at the bottom?  I see...Well Ive still yet to see any kind of source.

Go ask the guy.

I don't care, it's just a little review..... I could write you a review about "Slither" so you could comment my grammar.  hihi

Then the same would apply for a GNR song and Axl fans, right?  Because youre actually much more likely to get an overzealous response like that from some of the posters in this thread.

"Much more likely to get an overzealous response"? Are you saying Slash fans are more likely to write an objective review of VR than Axl fans are of the new GN'R?

I really hope, for your own sake, that you're not trying to tell me that. Because it would just be extremely stupid.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2004, 07:30:56 PM »

i love axl 10-1 over velvet revolver but slither is 5 times better than chinese democracy the song

come on slither is fuckin awesome!

scott is amazing!

he is no axl but then again who is?

scott hands down was the best choice for vocalists, its already a top 5 modern and mainstream rock single!

the song is awesome, lets top hating!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2004, 07:39:25 PM »

I think it should be Axl who should realize that Slash, Duff & Izzy were the ones who "made the diffierence". I love the way you Axl fans love to give all of GNR's credit to Axl and none of it to the other guys in the band. I think its safe to say that GNR would not have been GNR without Slash, Duff, and Izzy.

This is pretty acurate I'm afraid.

I tried to get tickets to the show in LV, but it sold out already. Compare to GnR 2 years back there were tickets almost until the show started.

Scalpers snatching them up or not (there was an 8 ticket max online) it still would mean the the scalpers knew that the demand was there for this band.....

And BTW: Even if Scott fell of the wagon...he'd still show up for the show!  hihi
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2004, 07:43:43 PM »

I think it should be Axl who should realize that Slash, Duff & Izzy were the ones who "made the diffierence". I love the way you Axl fans love to give all of GNR's credit to Axl and none of it to the other guys in the band. I think its safe to say that GNR would not have been GNR without Slash, Duff, and Izzy.
like totally: ok:

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2004, 07:45:54 PM »

slither is 5 times better than chinese democracy the song

I sincerely hope you're joking... nervous
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 07:58:55 PM by TiedHands » Logged

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2004, 07:55:11 PM »

I love the way things have come full circle here.

Usually Axl gets criticized, people on this board question the criticism, and then Booker goes on about how we're Axl lovers and should look at the cold hard fact of the matter that not everyone likes Axl and his new Guns N' Roses.

Suddenly someone prefers Axl's new stuff to VR, and Booker's off making posts left right and centre trying to pick holes in it.

Booker..... get used to the idea that not everyone likes VR more than Axl's new Guns N' Roses.

Man.... you're such a slash lover, you must be to question stuff like this  Tongue  hihi

@#$%Muther
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2004, 08:36:53 PM »

I love the way things have come full circle here.
Usually Axl gets criticized... Suddenly someone prefers Axl's new stuff to VR... not everyone likes VR more than Axl's new Guns N' Roses.

ok ok
Can you imagine what it's gonna be out once we get CD?!!  hihi

How is madagascar overbloated? If anything is overbloated its slashs face and beer belly
 rofl rofl

wow, it's amazing how you VR fans just can't live with anyone saying anything positive about Axl and the new band. This guy liked Madagascar better, I do too. Instead of wasting your life trying to discredit this man's opinion, go back to your VR boots and take a masturbatory break. if some prefer axl's epic song to a throw away rock track, then live and let live. As some have said, it's truly amazing how some people here revel in the pot shots at axl's expense but when the tables are turned against Scott and Co, the rattlesnakes begin committing suicide.

greatest thread ever  Grin
BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2004, 09:06:29 PM »

yo younggunner...   Contact me ASAP

Evolution
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2004, 09:16:17 PM »

slither is 5 times better than chinese democracy the song

I sincerely hope you're joking... nervous
im with TiedHands here.i think CD the song is much better than Slither because i feel its much more structured and the riff is better.having said that slashs solo on slither is superior to CD's one
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2004, 09:48:20 PM »

I don't care, it's just a little review..... I could write you a review about "Slither" so you could comment my grammar.  hihi

I dont care either.  I just recognize that some message board poster of small-time website reviewer wrote it and now Axl die-hards are going to every GNR forum posting it as if its some "real" review.  To me, its realyy no different than any one of us writing a review.

Are you saying Slash fans are more likely to write an objective review of VR than Axl fans are of the new GN'R?

Im saying that theres no difference, and youre more likely to get such an overzealous, grandiose statement from some of the Axl fans on here.  Overzealous fans of anything can make a statement like that...however, Ive never seen anybody talk up a Snakepit song like Ive seen some on here talk about "Madagascar" or "The Blues".  

I really hope, for your own sake, that you're not trying to tell me that. Because it would just be extremely stupid.

And I would say the same to you if you really believe the opposite.

Usually Axl gets criticized, people on this board question the criticism, and then Booker goes on about how we're Axl lovers and should look at the cold hard fact of the matter that not everyone likes Axl and his new Guns N' Roses.

Id ask you to point to an example., but I know you wont.  However, if youd like to, please feel free.

And Ill make this clear, because some people arent as bright as others:  My issue is not that they like new GNR or "Madagascar" better than VR or "Slither".  If you read my posts, youll see not one single pertaining to that fact.  Its that they make it the centerpiece to their "review" of "Slither" I took issue with.  I dont any being reviewed should be compared to another like that, especially two songs that have nothing to do with one another.  If somebody reviews "The Blues" and the centers that review around whether or not its better than a VR song - its still a bad review.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 09:53:19 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2004, 11:04:06 PM »

however, Ive never seen anybody talk up a Snakepit song like Ive seen some on here talk about "Madagascar" or "The Blues".
I don't know if that's necessarily a fair comparison, because the Snakepit albums were complete shit and unlikely to be talked up by anyone. Considering how much better "Set Me Free," "You Got No Right," and "Slither" are compared to the best of Snakepit, I think we can get a pretty good idea of how much of a mess it was putting those two albums together. The Velvet Revolver songs have been lyrically simplistic (no meaning beyond a literal level), but they work a lot better than the Snakepit albums which were essentially words thrown on top of Slash's guitar parts.

It seemed to me like Slash wanted to head closer to rocking out like Appetite, while Axl wanted to go in the direction of the Illusions albums with maybe a little more artistic merit and mainstream appeal. If that is the case, it's a simple ideologic difference (with neither side in the right or wrong) and I don't see why there needs to be so much hostility between the two sides on this board. In addition, the pure nature of this ideologic difference suggests Axl/Slash will have two different types of music therefore making comparisons a futile task.
TIPSY
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2004, 12:02:19 AM »

This review just summizes the next 2 months of VR:

shitty reviews

no shows due to Scott falling off the wagon

Poor ticket sales

Shitty album sales

Clear Channel kicking them to the curb

Place your bets people...........VR will be short lived. peace

Those are some strong predictions. Sound like you are kind of jelouse that VR is in the spotlight and about to release an an album while GNR has still to produce a new album after 10 + years. I for one think that VR will do really well.

VR fans finally realizing that Axl Rose is what truly makes the difference.

Ben

Roll Eyes Yeah chap.  That's it.

I am jealous of 2 heroin addicts (ex heroin addicts my ass) and a guy by the name of "Duff" who looks totally stupid some say he rode the 'short bus' while attending school.

You VR fans just can not accept that GNR will far prevail any attempts by ex members and the reason is???

GNR are not sell outs.

VR are sellouts.

Simple as that.

Hey Ben....why don't you go and join "Duff" for a drink being you carry the name of a famous alcoholic in hollywood. Kiss
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 12:03:43 AM by TIPSY » Logged
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2004, 12:03:37 AM »

however, Ive never seen anybody talk up a Snakepit song like Ive seen some on here talk about "Madagascar" or "The Blues".
I don't know if that's necessarily a fair comparison, because the Snakepit albums were complete shit and unlikely to be talked up by anyone. Considering how much better "Set Me Free," "You Got No Right," and "Slither" are compared to the best of Snakepit, I think we can get a pretty good idea of how much of a mess it was putting those two albums together. The Velvet Revolver songs have been lyrically simplistic (no meaning beyond a literal level), but they work a lot better than the Snakepit albums which were essentially words thrown on top of Slash's guitar parts.

It seemed to me like Slash wanted to head closer to rocking out like Appetite, while Axl wanted to go in the direction of the Illusions albums with maybe a little more artistic merit and mainstream appeal. If that is the case, it's a simple ideologic difference (with neither side in the right or wrong) and I don't see why there needs to be so much hostility between the two sides on this board. In addition, the pure nature of this ideologic difference suggests Axl/Slash will have two different types of music therefore making comparisons a futile task.

nice post. Now can you rationalize the lawsuit?

I dont care either.  I just recognize that some message board poster of small-time website reviewer wrote it and now Axl die-hards are going to every GNR forum posting it as if its some "real" review.  To me, its realyy no different than any one of us writing a review.

you see, you're doing it again. If this helps you sleep then so be it, Slash nutswinger.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2004, 12:31:51 AM »

I dont any being reviewed should be compared to another like that, especially two songs that have nothing to do with one another.  If somebody reviews "The Blues" and the centers that review around whether or not its better than a VR song - its still a bad review
Once again, the tempo of the songs or the type of songs werent being compared. The guy was saying the lyrics in maddy show why he is a great songwrite and the lyrics in slither show why writing lyrics isnt weilands best.

And just because he makes that the main point is review doesnt mean its shit. Hedecided to foucs on scotts lyrics. Whats wrong witht hat. Because he didnt go into the whole vr thing and talk about how badass they are? ts ok for there to be articles more on axls looks than an actual review ye when its vr its horrendous.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2004, 01:04:57 AM »

Once again, the tempo of the songs or the type of songs werent being compared.

"Scorching, soul-searching and poetic rock music wrapped in a majestic melodic cloth that burns itself to the skin."

Regardless, the two songs shouldnt be compared at all.  Theres no reason for it.

If hes attempting to prove that Weilands werent his best, dont you think it would make a little more sense to compare them to Weilands better lyrics?  The only reason to bring up Axl, therefore turning him into the reviews focal point, is simply to demonstrate how much he likes Axl and "Madagascar".  And that would be fine if it were a comparative essay, but its supposed to be a review about "Slither".  And bringing up unrelated songs and explaining why theyre better is inappropriate, in any case.  

And just because he makes that the main point is review doesnt mean its shit. Hedecided to foucs on scotts lyrics.

Like I said, thats great, even though I believe he misquoted them...if youre going to criticize, at least criticize the right thing - especially if you decide to quote them.  But bringing up an unrelated song is arbitrary.  Compare them to other Weiland lyrics, not Axls.Whats wrong witht hat.

Because he didnt go into the whole vr thing and talk about how badass they are?

If you still dont get it, after Ive explained myself so many times, youre a lost cause.

ts ok for there to be articles more on axls looks than an actual review ye when its vr its horrendous.

I havent seen an article that has done that yet...maybe youre referring to Maxims one sentence?  If so, Ive said before that it was a poor review for just that reason - it focused on shit that had nothing to do with the music.  Feel free to search for that thread and see for yourself.

I don't know if that's necessarily a fair comparison, because the Snakepit albums were complete shit

Well, thats your opinion...

and unlikely to be talked up by anyone.

Theyve been talked up, but thats my point - never to that extent.  So if thats the case, then I believe Ive proved my point, that Slash fans dont wantonly label anything he does "the greatest song/album ever"...However Ive seen quite a few similarly overzealous statements about "Madagascar" and "The Blues".
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2004, 01:24:00 AM »

slithers riff buries chinese democracys come on

dave playin it low slash comes in with his awesome lead higher up over top of it

name one new gnr song that has guitar playin like slither?

answer

none!

cmon guys, im one of the top 10 axl worshippers on the board

but i also give credit where credit is due

slither's riff destroys any playin by the new gnr guitarists and the solo is better than any new gnr solo

im sure fall to pieces guitar work is far superior to "the blues' and maddy's guitar work

im not sayin it will be a better song but im sure slash's guitar melodies are far superior to any of new gnrs
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 01:25:47 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2004, 01:31:17 AM »

I love how people automatically accuse people of not being able to handle negative criticism towards Velvet Revolver just because they point out the flaws in this article. Maybe some of you are desperately trying to cling onto anything positive towards Axl's GNR that you are blinded to the flaws in this piece. It doesn't bother me in the least that someone may think Madgascar is better. That's perfectly fine with me because everyone has their preferences. However, I don't appreciate shoddy journalism.

If this review is legit (which I'm convinced it's not - we would have gotten a source by now), then I think the writer should think about a new career because he has no business in writing since this piece is terribly flawed. Not only does it contain grammatical mistakes and poor writing skills in general, but it's irresponsible to compare the two songs. First of all, the writer is wrong in assuming that everyone has heard Madagascar and I'm fairly certain any music journalist would know this. Madagascar is an unreleased track that can only be found on bootlegs. The only people who has heard it are us diehards that seek it out. The average person reading a review like this is totally clueless about Madgascar. Secondly, you don't compare a studio version of a song to a live version (unless they are the same song) of a song because the live version is likely a rough version. We have no clue as to what it finally will sound like or even make it onto Chinese Democracy. Most importantly, it's just silly to compare two totally different bands. The guy is completely wrong saying the greatest test is to measure it against the new GNR. It's comparing apples to oranges. If one is better that doesn't mean the other isn't good. A fairer and more accurate comparison would be to old GNR and even STP to see how these guys progressed (or not) from their glory days.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2004, 01:56:02 AM »

I love how people automatically accuse people of not being able to handle negative criticism towards Velvet Revolver just because they point out the flaws in this article. Maybe some of you are desperately trying to cling onto anything positive towards Axl's GNR that you are blinded to the flaws in this piece. It doesn't bother me in the least that someone may think Madgascar is better. That's perfectly fine with me because everyone has their preferences. However, I don't appreciate shoddy journalism.

If this review is legit (which I'm convinced it's not - we would have gotten a source by now), then I think the writer should think about a new career because he has no business in writing since this piece is terribly flawed. Not only does it contain grammatical mistakes and poor writing skills in general, but it's irresponsible to compare the two songs. First of all, the writer is wrong in assuming that everyone has heard Madagascar and I'm fairly certain any music journalist would know this. Madagascar is an unreleased track that can only be found on bootlegs. The only people who has heard it are us diehards that seek it out. The average person reading a review like this is totally clueless about Madgascar. Secondly, you don't compare a studio version of a song to a live version (unless they are the same song) of a song because the live version is likely a rough version. We have no clue as to what it finally will sound like or even make it onto Chinese Democracy. Most importantly, it's just silly to compare two totally different bands. The guy is completely wrong saying the greatest test is to measure it against the new GNR. It's comparing apples to oranges. If one is better that doesn't mean the other isn't good. A fairer and more accurate comparison would be to old GNR and even STP to see how these guys progressed (or not) from their glory days.

Wading through this thread of idiocy and obliviousness, I was actually taken aback by a post with so much sense...Good to see  ok
eNgIeS
Rocker

OHHHH RIGGGHHHTT

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2004, 01:57:29 AM »

Ahhh, Booker Floyd saves me alot of time so i dont have to respond to idiots like Dave GNR2K, the guy who avoids points i've brought up coz he knews i'm right

I just dont get this hate Dave always has for any ex-GNR member, like Axl can do no thing wrong when theres so many cases & people WHO ACTUALLY KNOW HIM, who will tell you different

I'm a fan of Axl's but to denie his downfalls is just really weird for someone to do, its almost like Dave's obsessed with Axl & lives in this fairytale world that people outside of the few new GNR forums & sites around even care about Axl anymore

Hell most people I talk to dont even know what the hell he is doing at all, know nothing about the new band or the new (well now "old") cd. However, this week i was at TAFE in class & i was looking at a VR site, & immediately a few class mates i knew knew about it & were going to the listening party later this month.

Just because 1 magazine & 1 redicolous fan review says its shit doesnt mean no one else likes it. On the contrary from the feedback i've heard from people WHO ARE NOT BIG GNR/STP FANS who have heard the song on teh radio & they say they like it

I love Axl to & i like 4 of the 5 songs we've heard live from Chienese Democracy, but its been way too long, all the empty promises, I really doubt it will even come out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: