Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:27:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228552 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Why do people say there is a connection between
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do people say there is a connection between  (Read 11812 times)
IFINGLOVEGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 10:56:31 PM »

No one answered the question

Why did Axl used to wear a charles manson T-shirt?
And why did Axl Cover his song when the other band members asked him not to?

In early 2000, Rose said that he would remove "Look at Your Game, Girl" from re-issues of the album, citing that critics and popular media misinterpreted his interest in Manson,

So what IS his interest in Manson?

5/12/06
5/14/06
5/15/06
5/17/06
NJ-11/5/06
NYC-MSG 11/10/06
NYC-CBGB 2/11/10
NYC-RoseBar 2/14/10
NJ-11/17/11
CT-11/19/11
NJ-11/26/11
NYC-2/12/12
Vegas-11/14,17,18/2012
NYC-6/6/13
NYC-6/8
Alpachiris
Rocker

www.gnrla.com

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 10:59:16 PM »

I dunno - maybe because there both crazy? hihi

yeah maybe!!!  hihi

teamaxl
Opening Act

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 11:40:44 PM »

I think it's pretty clear why Axl felt some sort of infinity with Charles however minimal.  Both came from fucked up childhoods and spent most of their life feeling alienated from most of the rest of society.  In Axl's case those feelings manifested themselves in some great music.  In Charles' case, well we all know what happened there, but point being both men have often been misunderstood by the public at large.  Keep in mind, Manson himself never did kill anybody, nor was he ever accused of it, yet he's one of the most famous "mass murderers" ever, and a pop cultural icon for better or worse.  I'm not saying Charles Manson was/is a good guy obviously, just that he's not quite the monster people have made him out to be.  As far as his music goes, I would recommend the infamous "Lie" album (recorded prior to the Tate/Labanca murders) which features his demo version of "Look At Your Game Girl", which is actually a pretty good tune.  Another musician who was influenced in some way by Manson is Evan Dando of The Lemonheads.  He covered "Your Home Is Where Your Happy" back in '88 and referenced him in many other early Lemonheads tunes.  Then there's Trent Reznor who recorded the "Downward Spiral" at the former Polanski/Tate residence prior to it's being torn down and of course Marilyn Manson himself.  Who by the way has always claimed it was he that turned Axl on to Charles' music.  Who knows if that's true or not, but the list goes on.....  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:43:24 PM by teamaxl » Logged

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 04:49:14 AM »

In Marilyn Mansons autobiography he tells a story about how he met axl..

it was backstage at a U2 concert, manson were there with trent reznor and they met axl so they started talking about music and marilyn told axl that he were to cover a charles manson song called "my monkey" on the album "Lie" axl said he had never heard the album so MM told him to check it out, a half year later axl had covered "look at your game girl" from the same album..

that's MM's story
teamaxl
Opening Act

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »

Yup, that's what I was referring to.  I had come across that passage of the book somewhere online awhile back.  I also noticed he mentioned it again in that new interview posted on that other thread.  I figure even if it is true, which it may well be, it's kind of a moot point.  Artists as diverse as The Beach Boys (prior to the Tate/Labianca murders), Neil Young, Sonic Youth and The Lemonheads had all either covered Charlie's songs, referenced him in some way in song, or both prior to Axl, NIN, Marilyn Manson or anyone else who's done so in recent years so what does it matter?  I guess what he's trying to say of course is since he's the one who hipped Axl to Charlie's music that makes him "cooler" or whatever.  All's I know is I'll take Axl's take on "Look At Your Game Girl" over just about anything MM has ever done, but that's just me.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 09:17:07 PM by teamaxl » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: