Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 08:32:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  boycott contraband
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: boycott contraband  (Read 79651 times)
AxlsPiano
Rocker

Rock N Roll Will Return

« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2004, 05:03:28 PM »

I don't see why the hell it would make them less 'dangerous' to get their names out there.

I can't tell you what makes them less dangerous but I sure would like to know what  makes them dangerous in the first place, how they claim to be.  I seriously want to know...since they proclaimed themselves as this in numerous interviews.

When they are described as dangerous, it's not the kind that is going to actually put your life in danger or anything, it's dangerous in the sense of you never know what's actually going to happen. What will Scott do on stage...will Scott even make it to the stage? Will he get thrown back in rehab again or arrested? Is he going to flip out if you say something offensive? It's the whole rock n roll lifestyle thing, I guess you could say.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2004, 05:44:33 PM »

These Axl people are so tired of seeing their boy get ripped a new asshole for all the stupid shit he's pulled over the years, & they've got so much misplaced anger,  they'e just dying, DYING, to be able to rip on VR likewise, so they'll create bullshit "issues" like calling VR sellouts

The thing is, I asked WHERE the people screaming "sell-outs" were?

When a band starts doing promotion, videos and appearing in almost every magazine, some people are always using the word "sell-out" to describe that.

You never noticed that?  Huh

I don't care about all the stuff that goes along with being a rock band. If they want to do a "Making Of...", good for them. Maybe that means MTV won't air some other crappy Making Of that often.

It doesn't bother me because it doesn't have anything to do with the most important thing, the music.

Personally I just don't buy the whole "dangerous" part, it seems funny to me. They're a rock band who wants their music to be heard, not a band that wants to change the way people think and tell people that things are wrong in today's society....

Even a band like Marilyn Manson seems more "dangerous" than VR to me.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dizzy
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2004, 05:47:15 PM »

I'm so tired of the "sell-out" label that gets tossed around just because people they may not agree with a band handle things. I'm not just referring to VR, it's just unwarranted 99% of the time that it is used.

I fully concur.  I've long said that the term "sellout" is hackneyed and overused, and untrue in most cases.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2004, 08:58:14 PM »

Girl, IT IS RADIO FRIENDLY! That is my problem with Slither. It is clearly pandering to a modern rock format-(which is complete shit by the way). The tone of the guitars during the riffs is straight up cheesy and sounds like shit-weak shit. The song itself is structurally adequate and the solo is good, but the tone of the guitars was tweaked to sound more "modern". It is not classic Slash tone at all. There is absolutely no edge to it at all.

You musy be llistening to a different song to me, because the version I have sounds huge and crunchy as hell. Sure it's different to the sound of UYI or AFD, but they aren't trying to recreate that, this is a new band.

Besides, I bet if they sounded more like classic GN'R they'd be criticized for sounding the same.

I could care less anyway, to me Slither f**kin rocks.
I feel bad for those who haven't taken a liking to it.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2004, 09:12:46 PM »

Weiland having his new video have a "making of" is nothing new. A few sTP songs had them.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2004, 09:15:44 PM »

That is because the FEW people here that have talked shit about VR happen to be known HUGE AXL FANATICS.  And Providman was replying to killingvector who is a known HUGE Axl supporter.

That's funny, you say a lot of stuff about Axl and you're not his biggest fan now are you?

I've seen "Slither" reviews that say the song is "ok", not anything special. Are those people Axl fans too?

I bet you think Snakepit made the best rock album of 2000?

/jarmo

Your right I am not the biggest Axl fan. I actually for the most part don't even waste my time on him anymore and you don't see me talking shit. I used to be a big fan of him but actually cannot stand him now. I do give him credit when credit is due though. I liked a couple of his new tunes, but most sucked. I was rooting for him for awhile and he let me down. I saw the new band live and it sucked, I bought end of days, a bucket album. I really tried but he hasn't changed a bit. He is arrogant **** that treats his fans like shit.  

I also could give a shit if people don't like "Slither" whether they are an Axl fan or not. I could give a shit about Axl...... My only point is that the few peopel that support teh "boycott of Contraband" happen to be pronounced Axl supporters, followers, and defenders to a point where it turns peoples stomachs.

And another thing Jarmo, I thought Snakepit 2000 was one of the worst albums ever.  There were a couple ok tunes but most of them sucked.

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2004, 09:56:08 PM »

Girl, IT IS RADIO FRIENDLY! That is my problem with Slither. It is clearly pandering to a modern rock format-(which is complete shit by the way). The tone of the guitars during the riffs is straight up cheesy and sounds like shit-weak shit. The song itself is structurally adequate and the solo is good, but the tone of the guitars was tweaked to sound more "modern". It is not classic Slash tone at all. There is absolutely no edge to it at all.

That is your opinion...I think the guitar tone kicks ass!!! It chugs and is powerful. I thought Set Me Free was a good song. Not great but good. But Slither really kicks ass IMO and I consider it great.  I crank that shit up when I am driving and it really gets my blood flowing. It just sticks in my head.

I bet you hated Don't Cry, Nov Rain, Patience, Live And Let Die, sweet Child and many other GnR tunes because they were "radio friendly" hahahah
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 09:59:40 PM by tomass74 » Logged

sandman
Legend

« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2004, 10:15:07 PM »

These Axl people are so tired of seeing their boy get ripped a new asshole for all the stupid shit he's pulled over the years, & they've got so much misplaced anger,  they'e just dying, DYING, to be able to rip on VR likewise, so they'll create bullshit "issues" like calling VR sellouts

The thing is, I asked WHERE the people screaming "sell-outs" were?

When a band starts doing promotion, videos and appearing in almost every magazine, some people are always using the word "sell-out" to describe that.

You never noticed that?  Huh

I don't care about all the stuff that goes along with being a rock band. If they want to do a "Making Of...", good for them. Maybe that means MTV won't air some other crappy Making Of that often.

It doesn't bother me because it doesn't have anything to do with the most important thing, the music.

Personally I just don't buy the whole "dangerous" part, it seems funny to me. They're a rock band who wants their music to be heard, not a band that wants to change the way people think and tell people that things are wrong in today's society....

Even a band like Marilyn Manson seems more "dangerous" than VR to me.

/jarmo

jarmo - i'm lost. i've never heard anyone describe a band as "dangerous" and i have no idea what it means.

could you describe?

thanks alot!

anyway, VR rocks!! i like what i've heard and i'm hoping the album meets my expectations. how can you call it selling out when they sound VERY similar to their previous work, but at the same time sound new and fresh. (which is very difficult to pull off.)

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2004, 11:06:34 PM »

jarmo - i'm lost. i've never heard anyone describe a band as "dangerous" and i have no idea what it means.

Jarmos reffering to Duffs use of the word in several interviews to describe the band.

I personally dont get the word...to me its like "contemporary".  Another word thats thrown around without any clear definition.

While I dont consider VR "dangerous" for the reasons many have pointed out - middle-aged, millionaire veteran musicians dont exactly make you think of danger - they sort of are in a sense.  In the same sense that Courtney Love, at 40 years old, is still "dangerous," so is this band - Weiland in particular.  Like Love, hes not necessarily the most stable guy.  And I think thats what Duff means by it.  In addition to the high-powered, violent live energy, I assume his use of "dangerous" is synonmous with "unpredictable."  I dont believe hes trying to pass the band off dangerous in the sense that Jarmo seems to interpret - as having some kind of message or something...or as literally dangerous.  Theyve got a raw, powerful energy and Scott can be somewhat unpredictable in his performing - diving into the crowd and what not - so thats my interpretation.

Whatever the case, its certainly a bad word to use, as it opens up this kind of criticism because its so vague.  Also, a band shouldnt label themselves as "dangerous," they should let the fans and press do that.  But for all intents and purposes, "dangerous" is a confusing, arbitrary description for a rock band.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2004, 11:40:16 PM »

I think Duff actually said something in a recent interview to the affect of (paraphrasing of course) "You never know when one of us will come off stage and kick some ass."

Puh-leaze...

Booker's "unpredictable" analogy better defines their
personality as a band..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2004, 11:57:24 PM »

"You made a good point,  Top Hat. These Axl people are so tired of seeing their boy get ripped a new asshole for all the stupid shit he's pulled over the years, & they've got so much misplaced anger,  they'e just dying, DYING, to be able to rip on VR likewise, so they'll create bullshit "issues" like calling VR sellouts, crucify Slash & Duff for having the gall to sue their man-child hero Axl, pick apart the songs we've heard already, (in their minds, Axhole has created an undisputed masterpiece, so, in their little minds, anything VR releases that isn't as earth-shaking, revolutionary, & mind-blowing as they IMAGINE Chinese Democracy is fair game to rip), &  even, if deep down they like the music, they'd never give a VR fan the "satisfaction" of admitting it, because in their own little worlds, that would be the equivilent of going against Axhole, & God knows that can't happen. "

what a load of crap. Pure speculation. Did it ever occur to you that some of us just don't like it. I find the lyrics bland. Weiland has such a great voice that he can make even the most boring words seem exciting but here it doesn't fool me.
When I hear Slither, I hear Snakepit with a better vocalist. Sorry if that offends you but that is my opinion. Personally, i have liked slash and duff alot more in the past when they walked away from axl and didn't wade around in the sewer. Clearly they stepped over this line with the lawsuit; if they are in the right, then get the rights acknowledged and move on, however, they have taken this to a much more personal level by seeking punitive damages to punish axl for their own ignorance of their rights. Since i have taken no pleasure from what i've heard from VR and didn't care for the timing of their suit, I have decided not to buy this. Don't like it? fine. have fun. I have plenty of other more 'dangerous' rock music to listen to.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 11:59:01 PM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2004, 12:27:31 AM »

When I hear Slither, I hear Snakepit with a better vocalist. Sorry if that offends you but that is my opinion.

Im curious to hear what Snakepit song "Slither" resembles, and what similarities each bear.  Because "Slither" sounds distinctly un-Snakepit to me, but maybe Im missing something?

Since i have taken no pleasure from what i've heard from VR and didn't care for the timing of their suit, I have decided not to buy this.

So youre incorporating one event (one about which you ultimately have no clue) in your decision to buy VRs album.  But even after all of Axls antics (no-shows, cancellations, insults, re-recordings, etc.), you would never even think to incorporate them into your decision to buy his album, would you?  And while I hate to get hypothetical, Id venture to guess that if it was Axl who was seeking punitive action for whatever reason, you wouldnt think twice about it.

I find ones decision to factor a lawsuit that they know nothing about (especially when it comes to timing) and has nothing to do with them into whether or not to purchase an album (especially when its made by members of one of their favorite bands)...weird.  

But thats your prerogative - and it brings the Contraband boycott to a whopping two participants.  I hope the band can persevere through this devestating firestorm.
madagas
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2004, 08:35:48 AM »

Tomass, I HATE Don't Cry!! LOL-I watched the Slither video again last night. Honestly, being completely fair, it is only small parts of the song that have that god awful high pitched tone on the guitar-not as much as I originally thought. The song is catchy and the band does seem very tight-it will be a good live show and I am truly happy for Slash that he has found a true frontman that he can connect with. I just wish the tone of the guitar was a little dirtier and rougher, because the structure and intro are cool and the melody is catchy. I really liked Slither at El Rey because it seemed looser and rougher. Even though I am in to more artier stuff these days like older Radiohead and Wilco, I'll be getting Contraband. Also, listening to alot of Alice in Chains now. Man, Axl could use a guy like Jerry Cantrell but the redhead may be a lost cause at this point. beer
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2004, 08:44:44 AM »

Axl could use a guy like Jerry Cantrell

Agreed completely.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2004, 10:03:47 AM »

When I hear Slither, I hear Snakepit with a better vocalist. Sorry if that offends you but that is my opinion.

Im curious to hear what Snakepit song "Slither" resembles, and what similarities each bear.  Because "Slither" sounds distinctly un-Snakepit to me, but maybe Im missing something?

Exactly, what I was talking about KV....you just look for reasons to hate them even if they are incorrect like saying Slither sound like Snakepit. You just proved my point.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2004, 10:25:51 AM »

how does that prove your point? you can't argue that my opinion is wrong. it's MY opinion. If i don't care for them, then that's that. It's not proof of some wider conspiracy. You see, some of you VR fans, just like jarmo said, take any criticism as some plot by axl fans to hate. It's not like that at all. I don't care for Slither. Sounds like STP mixed Snakepit. not a good thing. i really think axl brought out something in slash that is missing here. You can only remake Mr. Brownstone so many times.

btw, booker, way too many hypotheticals. I am angry at slash and duff because i feel that if CD had any chance of seeing the light of day this year, if i decide to heed the 'next few months' as some sort of bench mark, then this pretty much killed that. The timing of this suit is too uncomfortable for me to bear and their damages are excessive and cruel. Have a jude acknowledge your rights over the old catalog then go out and make your money, don't spank axl for their own negligence.  Call it a boycott if you want, but frankly i don't like the music or the men ; therefore call it a pass.

As for axl's behavior, I am not at all happy about losing the tour and b buckethead. i blame the redhead for this. Would i boycott CD? probably not because he isn't trying to sabotage and break someone else's life like slash and duff are. Axl can be mean, but he hasn't been this mean. Plus i have enjoyed the nu GnR alot more than VR. The potential seems there for something big; i would like to explore the potential more before deciding whether to buy it or not.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2004, 10:54:14 AM »

You can only remake Mr. Brownstone so many times.

First it sounds like Snakepit, now its "Mr. Brownstone"?

You still havent explained what makes "Slither" similar to Snakepit, but judging from your last quote, youre just as confused about your opinion as I am...

btw, booker, way too many hypotheticals.

There was one.

I am angry at slash and duff because i feel that if CD had any chance of seeing the light of day this year, if i decide to heed the 'next few months' as some sort of bench mark, then this pretty much killed that.

You 'feel,' yet you have no clue.  And your 'feeling' is based on what?  Axls own inability to deliver the album?  Dont blame Slash and Duff for that.  Im sure that he can deliver the album, or at least announce a date whenever he wishes.  Youre telling me he cant handle the lawsuit and carry on with his career simultaneously?  Doesnt seem to be hindering Slash and Duff.

The timing of this suit is too uncomfortable for me to bear

Again..you are clueless as to why the suit is happening now, so to jump to conclusions is presumptuous to say the least.

and their damages are excessive and cruel. Have a jude acknowledge your rights over the old catalog then go out and make your money, don't spank axl for their own negligence.

Theyre seeking money that Axl allegedly deprived them of.  You should wait until a judgement is made before, once again, jumping to your own ininformed conclusions.

Call it a boycott if you want, but frankly i don't like the music or the men ; therefore call it a pass.

As Ive said...that you would say "I dont like the men" based on this lawsuit = weird.

Would i boycott CD? probably not because he isn't trying to sabotage and break someone else's life like slash and duff are.

confused

And just when I think it cant get weirder...

By seeking money that Axl allegedly afforded them, theyre trying to break his life?  Are you serious?

Axl can be mean, but he hasn't been this mean.

Cry

Roll Eyes
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2004, 11:08:14 AM »

Why am i clueless as to why they are going forward with this lawsuit? I have read the brief and understand their position. The timing is bad and the damages they seek are excessive.

Snakepit sounds as if it wants to remake Brownstone over and over again. VR so far follows that pattern. Sorry if you can't keep up with this argument. It's someone as thickheaded as you who can't understand that someone has a different taste. Don't insult me again, my opinion is what it is , but it's definately not confused.

I don't like the music and feel that Slash and duff are being vindictive. I won't buy it.

do you really think you are going to change my mind?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 11:10:10 AM by killingvector » Logged

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2004, 11:28:04 AM »

Why am i clueless as to why they are going forward with this lawsuit? I have read the brief and understand their position. The timing is bad and the damages they seek are excessive.

Youre clueless because you have no clue as to why the suit is taking place now.  Youre simply making up your own conclusions about "sabotage" and what not.  Who are you to comment on whats good-or-bad timing for this lawsuit?  And if the damages are excessive, surely the judge will determine that, however the brief indicates that this is money they missed out on because of Axl.  If it seems excessive, then it would appear Axl cost them an "excessive" amount of money.  And if all these claims are unfounded, then the judge will say so...but it seems youve already made your own verdict with the little information we have.

Snakepit sounds as if it wants to remake Brownstone over and over again.

Again...an example would be great.

VR so far follows that pattern.

How so?  How does anything weve heard so far sound like a "Mr. Brownstone" remake?

Sorry if you can't keep up with this argument. It's someone as thickheaded as you who can't understand that someone has a different taste. Don't insult me again, my opinion is what it is , but it's definately not confused.

Theres no argument to keep up with?  Youre just repeating the same thing and avoiding any explanation.  Ive simply asked for some kind explanation as to how VR souds like Snakepit...you respond with "Theyre remaking 'Mr. Brownstone'"?  Your opinion is what it is...very confused.

I don't like the music and feel that Slash and duff are being vindictive. I won't buy it.

Yeah, theyre notoriously vindictive.  They should take after Axl mor...wait a minute.  Roll Eyes

do you really think you are going to change my mind?

Nope, your lack of reason or mature thought is overwhelming, Im afraid.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2004, 11:53:15 AM »

Youre clueless because you have no clue as to why the suit is taking place now.  Youre simply making up your own conclusions about "sabotage" and what not.  Who are you to comment on whats good-or-bad timing for this lawsuit?  And if the damages are excessive, surely the judge will determine that, however the brief indicates that this is money they missed out on because of Axl.  If it seems excessive, then it would appear Axl cost them an "excessive" amount of money.  And if all these claims are unfounded, then the judge will say so...but it seems youve already made your own verdict with the little information we have.

Once again, I've read the brief. It's obvious what the basis of their suit is. I am not in anyway saying they are wrong; they may very well have the rights to the catalog. However, ,the timing of the suit coupled with the demand for punitive damages to punish axl for acting on behalf of the gnr catalog when slash and duff were ignorant of their own rights leads me to the conclusion that this is a 'let's fuck over axl in front of the press' move.  Prove me wrong.

Again...an example would be great.
What am i saying is that slither sounds like a snakepit song to me with a better singer. Same boring lyrics, same signature, safe but decidedly undangerous slash guitarwork. I'm not impressed. most bands have one or two songs to hook you; neither SMF or Slither has proved to me that they are better than Be the Ball or Beggars. I would rather listen to the Pearl Jam, old STP, or Audioslave than bland, rancid rock.

Theres no argument to keep up with?  Youre just repeating the same thing and avoiding any explanation.  Ive simply asked for some kind explanation as to how VR souds like Snakepit...you respond with "Theyre remaking 'Mr. Brownstone'"?  Your opinion is what it is...very confused.

i'm repeating myself because you can't get it through your thick head what i am saying. Perhaps I am not conveying my opinion well enough. If i don't care for the suit or the music, what compromise can we reach? I figure you won't stop attacking my taste until i admit you own me.

Yeah, theyre notoriously vindictive.  They should take after Axl mor...wait a minute.  Roll Eyes

whatever dude. So I cannot be offended by whatever slash and duff do because axl tossed a piano out a window or didn't show up in philly? Get real.

Nope, your lack of reason or mature thought is overwhelming, Im afraid.

With this comment, i won't comment to you anymore. It was you who began berating me with your posts and there is no point carrying on a discussion with someone who falls back on insults.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 11:59:29 AM by killingvector » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: