Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Fucking scalpers! (VR tickets in abundance on ebay)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fucking scalpers! (VR tickets in abundance on ebay)  (Read 23921 times)
Dizzy
« on: May 01, 2004, 08:09:06 PM »

Check this out...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=velvet+revolver+tickets

Especially infuriating are the Philadelphia tickets, those bastards are selling those for around $90.  And I know for fact that they were $22 on ticketmaster.   Angry
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 09:49:40 PM »

Yeah, they were $22...

I gave in and bought 2 for $77 ($87 S&H).  It sucks, but so does not going.  

I wish there was something more they could do about this scalping.  Even Duff said in the KROQ appearence yesterday, "Dont let the scalpers buy all the tickets before the kids can."   no
sandman
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 10:13:22 PM »

i have 8 tickets for the PHILLY show. i will be selling 2 of them. let me know if you are interested in buying them from me.

Face value after service charges is $30. On e-bay i think i could get $60-$80 per ticket.

BUT, i would sell it to anyone on here for $50 per. i know, still $20 more, but i need beer money  beer

I think both sides would feel more comfortable dealing with someone on this board, rather than a total stranger on e-bay.

Fees could be avoided, as well as shipping costs since we could meet in person in the philly area ASAP, or meet a couple hours before the show.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 11:39:55 PM »

This one is driving me crazy. Do I give in and support the scalpers or do I miss out on Velvet Revolver?  confused
Dizzy
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 10:10:55 AM »

i have 8 tickets for the PHILLY show. i will be selling 2 of them. let me know if you are interested in buying them from me.

Face value after service charges is $30. On e-bay i think i could get $60-$80 per ticket.

BUT, i would sell it to anyone on here for $50 per. i know, still $20 more, but i need beer money  beer

I think both sides would feel more comfortable dealing with someone on this board, rather than a total stranger on e-bay.

Fees could be avoided, as well as shipping costs since we could meet in person in the philly area ASAP, or meet a couple hours before the show.

Kind offer, and I would love to accept it.  But on principle, I am not paying any more than ticketmaster would've charged.  You're still not any better than any other scalper if you paid a certain price for a ticket and then nearly doubled its cost.  If you offered the ticket for $35, I'd take you up on it.  I'd willing to pay you $5 more just for the favor, but not $20 more.  Let me know if that would be an acceptable compromise for you.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 10:15:44 AM by Dizzy » Logged
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 02:19:17 PM »

I don't have much too add to this thread, other than I FUCKING HATE SCALPERS.  It's such an easy way to take advantage of people, and it's such a shitty thing.  Fuck beer money, what about the kids who won't even be able to go the show because they can't afford paying a 200% surchage on their tickets?

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
sandman
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 08:38:40 PM »

dizzy - i understand where you and others are coming from. but i'll have to pass on your offer.

the situation does suck big time. i'm lucky enough to have extras and the market is setting their value at $50+ a piece. with my wife not working (taking care of our baby) and lots of bills to pay, i'd be stupid not to e-bay them.

scalpers aren't ALWAYS a bad thing. this situation sucks cause i'm sure alot of scalpers bought a ton of tix. but i've bought from scalpers several times, and was thrilled that option was available to me cause getting tix for certain things is next to impossible.

example....NFC championship game two years ago. i bought tix from a scalper for $200 a piece, which is about 300% mark up. but there were essentially no tickets available to non-season ticket holders so i was happy to pay that much for them.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
loretian
VIP

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 09:08:32 PM »

example....NFC championship game two years ago. i bought tix from a scalper for $200 a piece, which is about 300% mark up. but there were essentially no tickets available to non-season ticket holders so i was happy to pay that much for them.

Well, there's two kinds of scalpers - those who buy to scalp, and those who intending on going but then something came up.  I don't really have a problem with the second type, but the first type is the problem.

Anyway, it's a little different for a sporting event because of season tickets, but for a one time rock show, it sucks big time.  You say you were able to get tickets that you normally wouldn't have been able to, but part of the reason you wouldn't be able to in the first place is because the scalper bought the tickets first - just to sell to you at a higher price.  You're just getting totally screwed and some asshole is making money, as well as making you go through more trouble just to get the tickets.

K-Rock
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 11:37:40 PM »

I wish there was something more they could do about this scalping.  Even Duff said in the KROQ appearence yesterday, "Dont let the scalpers buy all the tickets before the kids can."  

That is so cool of Duff.  One thing I can say about him is that he has always expressed a caring for the fans.  I remember hearing him on a radio interview when UYI I & II were about to be released back in 1991..........

He said something like, "If you kids can't afford both, you can buy one and your friend can buy the other and you can share."  He went on to say that he knew that the record company would not want him to be saying such a thing, but too bad.

Duff= Fan friendly and appreciative for the support that ultimately pays his bills.
marino95
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 08:26:40 AM »

Look - the bottom line is that you have the same chance to buy tickets as the "scalpers" do.  Just be online at ticketmaster.com when the tickets go on sale and you have nothing to worry about.  I know for a fact that EVERY VR show in this tour has had tickets available for at least 15-20 minutes after they went on sale.  (With the exception of DC)

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
5/28/04 VR - Wash DC (9:30 Club)
5/12/06 New York (1st show)
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 08:46:47 AM »

Look - the bottom line is that you have the same chance to buy tickets as the "scalpers" do.  Just be online at ticketmaster.com when the tickets go on sale and you have nothing to worry about.  I know for a fact that EVERY VR show in this tour has had tickets available for at least 15-20 minutes after they went on sale.  (With the exception of DC)

No.

I was online for Philly tickets at 9:59, refreshing the page every second.  When tickets finally went on sale at around 10:01, they were sold out.  While I didnt think it was possible, every radio station confirmed it, saying that it sold out in under a minute and one DJ saying hyperbolically "These tickets sold out in 1.10th of a minute".  So its lame to excuse scalpers or imply that its out faults.  Its the scalpers faults that real fans arent getting these tickets, its obvious as can be..
Nightfall
The Evil Dutchess
VIP

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 08:57:29 AM »

didn't i also read somewhere that there wasn't a ticketlimit...if that's the case then it's the fault of VR too...how hard is it to put a limit of 4 tickets each?

Nightfall On Tour 2012:
NY: Februari 10 & 12
France: June 5, 11, 14 & 19
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 09:54:20 AM »

Philly sold out in 2min and NY in 3min because of the scalpers. so i had to buy from ebay at double the price Angry
loretian
VIP

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 12:24:38 PM »

So what?

The bottom line is that dickheads buy tickets just to sell them for a higher price to the same people they prevented from buying at the normal price in the first place.  That's fucking shitty, and there's no excuse or way to justify it.

Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2004, 01:14:53 PM »

sandman, I hope you realize it is illegal in the state of Pennsylvania to sell your tickets at such a high price. The law states you can not sell your tickets for more than 25% over the face value or $5, whichever is higher. 25% of $22 is $5.50. The maximum you are allowed to charge is $27.50. I'm sorry but you're no better than any other greedy scalpers who depends on a fan's desperation to see their favorite act. Actually, I think it's worse because you are a fan of this band so you should know what it's like.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 02:16:35 PM »

We didn't allow scalpers to sell tickets for the GN'R shows in 2002, and we're not gonna allow it for VR tickets either.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2004, 02:21:32 PM »

Well, there's two kinds of scalpers - those who buy to scalp, and those who intending on going but then something came up.  I don't really have a problem with the second type, but the first type is the problem.

Anyway, it's a little different for a sporting event because of season tickets, but for a one time rock show, it sucks big time.  You say you were able to get tickets that you normally wouldn't have been able to, but part of the reason you wouldn't be able to in the first place is because the scalper bought the tickets first - just to sell to you at a higher price.  You're just getting totally screwed and some asshole is making money, as well as making you go through more trouble just to get the tickets.

Selling for over face value is lame. I don't care what the story is.

When I got better tickets to the Mandalay Bay show I offered the other tickets at face value (maybe with the TM fees I can't remember) on this board. I have two kids, two cars, two dogs, a wife , a house payment, student loans, cc bills you name it. But I didn't ask for more. I knew it would be rude to the fans on this board and greedy. What's an extra 50 bucks?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 02:24:05 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Dizzy
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 05:04:15 PM »

Sandman,

I can understand the temptation to sell the tickets on ebay for a high price which you know you will get, but the bottom line is, you're still no better than any other scalper.  I agree with what K Rock and Girl Gunner said, selling tickets at that much above face value -- regardless of your mountain of bills -- is bullshit.  Every scalper could use that excuse, "oh I've got bills to pay".  And Girl Gunner pointed out the illegality of selling them at a high price (something that I didn't realize, but makes perfect sense).

As Booker already pointed out, your "facts" are untrue.  The Philadelphia show sold out in less than a minute, and the NYC show sold out in 3 minutes.  And every other show sold out way too quickly as well.  If scalpers weren't buying the damn things in copious amounts, they'd be available for a lot longer and in more quantities, so don't act like it's our fault that we couldn't get tickets.

didn't i also read somewhere that there wasn't a ticketlimit...if that's the case then it's the fault of VR too...how hard is it to put a limit of 4 tickets each?

That isn't the band's job.  It's the tour promoter's and/or  manager's responsibility to arrange for ticket limits.  And given Duff's statement, it's obvious that he wanted ticket limits, and I'm willing to bet he made this known to VR management.

In any case, this situation is fucked up.  I tried to get tickets to the D.C. show and it fucking sold out immediately.  I tried to get a ticket to the Philadelphia show and it too sold out immediately.  A real bitch too, because I really, really want to go.  The Philadelphia show is especially appealing because I know the venue and several people from here are going.

AND ONE MORE THING I WANT TO ADD...

A double FUCK YOU to any ebay scalper reading this.   Angry  Not only are they selling the tickets at outrageous inflated prices, they are also charging between $5  and $15 for shipping.  15 fucking dollars?  Jesus H Christ, all you have to do is drop them in an envelope and put a 37 cent stamp on them!  Greedy bastards.   Angry
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 05:21:19 PM by Dizzy » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2004, 08:20:45 PM »

Quote from: Dizzy

[b
AND ONE MORE THING I WANT TO ADD...[/b]

A double FUCK YOU to any ebay scalper reading this.   Angry  Not only are they selling the tickets at outrageous inflated prices, they are also charging between $5  and $15 for shipping.  15 fucking dollars?  Jesus H Christ, all you have to do is drop them in an envelope and put a 37 cent stamp on them!  Greedy bastards.   Angry

lol.

Agreed.

Greed is ugly ain't it?
marino95
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2004, 07:10:20 AM »

First of all - you're right.  Several of the other shows (NYC, Philly, St. Louis) sold out very quickly.  However, there are still tickets for S.F. and Kansas City and Minnesota, Toronto & Chicago all took a little time to sell.

The DC show is at the 9:30 Club which only holds 900 people or so.  That was going to sell out quickly regardless of scalpers.  The scalpers do offer you the opportunity to go to the DC show (albeit at a higher price) - which you wouldn't have otherwise.  

Also to clear up another point - selling tickets for more than face value is perfectly legal in most states.  However, it is NOT in Penn, NY and NJ - so whoever is scalping the Philly or NYC shows might be in violation of local laws.  Plus, several of the shows (KC & SF in particular) have tickets selling on EBay for face value.

I just don't understand all the whining about scalping.  It's capitalism at work and is (in most states) perfectly legal.  I, for one, have been a big purchaser of tickets on EBay to get EXCELLENT seats that I would have otherwise not had access to.  I don't mind paying a little bit more for that.  Hell, if you buy your $20 tickets from Ticketmaster they'll cost you another $10 in ticketmaster surcharges and $20 to mail them - now THAT'S robbery.

I agree it can be frustrating having to pay such high prices for tickets (which are usually too expensive in the first place - $200 for Madonna???), but to act like scalping is "immoral" or "unethical" is just sour grapes.

That said, I'll be at the DC show (bought my 6 tickets on tickets.com at 10 AM sharp when they went on sale) - hope everyone else can make it.  Don't let paying a few extra bucks keep you home!

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
5/28/04 VR - Wash DC (9:30 Club)
5/12/06 New York (1st show)
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: