Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:34:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Minneapolis Mn Show
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Minneapolis Mn Show  (Read 9127 times)
mrbrownstone666
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: April 22, 2004, 04:15:57 PM »

Just wondering if  any one from this board will be there... Already got my tix and plan on getting in early to chill so i can get really close ... let me know if any of you are going to this show
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 04:21:05 PM »

I'm going!  Don't know what time I'll get there, I'll probably be late, but who knows.  I'll be wearing a Gn'R UYI t-shirt  ok

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 09:17:17 AM »

I'll be headed there too, hopefully getting there early also.  Do you guys think there'll be alot of people waiting in line early?

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
loretian
VIP

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 01:18:17 PM »

Do you guys think there'll be alot of people waiting in line early?

Well, the show is sold out here and, it sounds like, a lot of other places.  I would guess there's going to be a decent sized line - there'll probably be a lot of hardcore Gn'R fans there to see Slash, Duff, and Matt.

Gunner4Life
Rocker

Gotta Call the I.R.S.!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 03:17:25 PM »

I'll see all you guys there! I'll have on a black GN'R shirt with the Appetite For Destruction cross. The show is early so I'm gonna head out to the bars afterward and party it up a bit!

Axl loyalist no matter when Chinese Democracy comes out!
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 11:13:54 AM »

Yes, I got my tix a couple a days ago! It's the cheapest show I've seen in awhile, which is cool considering I'm looking forward to this one more than most.

I'll be standing next to the guy with a sling on his arm. clutz.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
loretian
VIP

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 12:44:47 PM »

So is it just gonna be five of us HTGTHers?  Anyone else going to this show?  I can't wait... just two more days!!  [headbanger] [beer]

questdex
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 11:15:25 PM »

i'll be there, i'll be with a fat fuck.  hell wear suspenders and jeans too baggy..lol
amundsma
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 12:07:51 AM »

I will be there with my wife and her brother.   ok
loretian
VIP

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 12:37:44 AM »

I thought I'd write my review of the Mpls show.

When we arrived at The Quest before the doors opened, there was a line two blocks out to get in.  I saw lots of Gn'R and AC/DC shirts, but only one STP shirt.

There was a ton of scalpers out too.  I talked to one of the scalpers right before the show started, and he said they were selling tickets below cost, some as cheap $10.  I was kind of suprised at this, because the line was so long and the placed was packed.

Anyway, Silvertide opened, they were pretty good.  Definitely Led Zeppelin-esque, and the singer kept mentioning Velvet Revolver, and how cool they were.

Finally, maybe 30 minutes after Silvertide was done, VR took the stage.  I was only about 20 feet from the stage, but I couldn't see Matt from the angle I was at.  Weiland looked skinny and cool, he was wearing one of those cop hats, like Axl used to wear.  Slash didn't have his top hat on, and I was shorter than I expected, even with the hair.  Duff looked cool, he was nearly shirtless, and seemed to be having a good time.  Dave was wearing his, apparently, trademark winter hat.

They immediately tore into song after song.  The music was excellent, my only real complaint was that I could hardly understand a single thing Weiland was singing.  Falling to Pieces was the only notable song which stood out to me, but it was really good.  I'm guessing it'll be their second single.  The show was basically what I expected: straight forward, hard rock.  The whole band sounded pretty tight, though many of the songs were similar enough I couldn't really tell them all apart.

The crowd was a little crazy at times, and I saw the bouncers remove several people.  They seemed to be pretty harsh in dealing with the fuckers, which I appreciated a whole lot, and I'm sure the band did too.

I met Deez Nuts, who's a cool guy.  Sorry I bought you the wong kind of beer dude, my mind totally blanked by the time I made it to the bar.

My last memory of the night was trying to get backstage with some other guy, he said he had a way in.  I honestly don't have any memory after that, I don't even know how I got home or if I ever got backstage.  My cell phone is gone, too.   Undecided  I spent most of the day vomiting and recovering in bed, which is why this review is so late.  I didn't even drink that much, but my date had bailed on me before the show, so I figured what the hell.   ok

I met some cool Canadians too, they said they visited the site occasionally.  If you guys are reading this, sorry I couldn't hook you up!

Anyway, to sum it up, it was a good music - basically as advertised, no big surprises but seeing several legends on stage together was unreal at times.   Though I said many of the songs sounded similar, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.  I didn't dislike anything I heard, and I can't wait to pick up Contraband so I can listen more closely.  If you weren't able to get tickets to a show in your area, I strong recomend going and checking for scalpers.  Like I said, they were selling for under cost here, despite the place being packed.

Apologies on any grammar or spelling mistakes.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 11:16:24 AM by loretian » Logged

axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 02:08:00 AM »

Here's a review from a local paper. enjoy

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4779551.html

What Goes around comes around!
loretian
VIP

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 10:12:18 AM »

You can download a bootleg of the Mpls show here: http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66153

It's still downloading for me, so I'm not sure of the quality.

Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 10:34:36 AM »

for bootleg of the show check my thread

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?board=15;action=display;threadid=12452

but the quality is very good but there is a bit too much bass in some of the songs, if you eq that out, then it is very very good.

Fish
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 10:34:45 AM »

Here's my take on the Minny show.

Got there in the middle of Silvertide. Singer is a Chris Robinson clone, but the band is more bluesy rock than the Black Crowes. They were good & definitely set the stage for VR.

The club was packed, my friend was pretty surprised to see his local Quest that crazy, said it had never been nearly like that before! Vr comes on, everyone looks, sounds good. Tear through a bunch of straight up rockers with the crowd bouncing off the walls.

"Fall to Pieces" get a special introduction and is a definite hit in the near future. A mid-tempo ballad with Slash sounding alot like SCOM. A great song.

Slash was bounding around allnight & they all seemed to be having a great time up there. Lots of smiles from the band. Threw out pics, drum stix, their shirts to the crowd.

The band really seemed to be on another level for "Set Me Free", "Slither", & "FTP's". Weiland nails these songs & they seem the perfect tempo for his vocal style. I hate to say it, but "Sex Type Thing"  was my favorite cover. The place went even more nutz! Mr. B & ISE weren't far behind though. "Used to Love Her" became a sing along.

What can u say? It was unreal standing within feet of Slash the entire night and this band rocks! Never seen a club show this good. This for real. Later.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 10:49:02 AM »

Copied from the VR forum since nobody was interested in posting it here.....

Velvet Revolver: New, yet it seems very ... familiar
Jim Meyer,  Special to the Star Tribune
May 17, 2004VELVET0517

The members of Velvet Revolver strongly deny that they are a preconceived supergroup, but there's no denying that the combined star power of Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland and Guns N' Roses guitar god Slash made for an unusually charged debut Saturday at Quest in Minneapolis. (Was there ever this much buzz about Slash's Snakepit?)

Velvet Revolver (including GNR bassist Duff McKagen and drummer Matt Sorum) is on a short, small-club tour promoting their debut CD, due out June 8. Their 45-minute set plus an encore of oldies was more energetic than innovative, but there is at least one reason for high expectations this year.

Velvet Revolver auditioned numerous vocalists, but made a wise (albeit risky) choice in the much-troubled, now-sober Weiland, who looked sharp in reflective shades, an airman's cap, tight jeans, velvet vest and scarf. He resembled Judas Priest singer Rob Halford prancing and posing like a cabaret dominatrix. He was half-naked before long, revealing a severely short haircut and a skeletal frame, and he darted around the stage like he was auditioning for Spider Man.

Despite the band having three members from GNR, the first three songs carried more STP trademarks. Before playing "Headspace," Weiland blasted negative rock critics and boasted about the new song's positive lyrics before turning the song into a classic Scott Weiland vocal showcase.

Perhaps fearful of losing the audience with unfamiliar material, VR broke into STP's "Crackerman" and one song later bashed out the GNR crowd-pleaser "It's So Easy." Playing a GNR classic revealed how Velvet Revolver's own material lacks similar hook appeal, but it also set the stage for the evening's centerpiece, "Fall to Pieces."

Introducing the song, Weiland praised a melody that Slash brought to the band, to which Weiland added the lyric about how drugs destroyed his happy home. The song, already slated as the band's next single, features the unmistakable Slash guitar tone and a melody heavily borrowed from "Sweet Child O' Mine." Obviously, they hope the song will do for VR what "Sweet Child" did for GNR: Make them huge. It better, because VR's lighter songs impressed more than their thudding rockers, such as the dumb "Big Machine" and the banal "Set Me Free."

The group returned for some encore fun, starting with a faithful rendition of GNR's "Used To Love Her" and "Mr. Brownstone," and ending with Nirvana's "Negative Creep." It was a familiar, high-volume finale to a short preview that was part steamroller, part roller coaster.

Jim Meyer is a freelance writer from Minneapolis.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2004, 12:39:26 PM »

Here's my take on the Minny show.

Got there in the middle of Silvertide. Singer is a Chris Robinson clone, but the band is more bluesy rock than the Black Crowes. They were good & definitely set the stage for VR.

The club was packed, my friend was pretty surprised to see his local Quest that crazy, said it had never been nearly like that before! Vr comes on, everyone looks, sounds good. Tear through a bunch of straight up rockers with the crowd bouncing off the walls.

"Fall to Pieces" get a special introduction and is a definite hit in the near future. A mid-tempo ballad with Slash sounding alot like SCOM. A great song.

Slash was bounding around allnight & they all seemed to be having a great time up there. Lots of smiles from the band. Threw out pics, drum stix, their shirts to the crowd.

The band really seemed to be on another level for "Set Me Free", "Slither", & "FTP's". Weiland nails these songs & they seem the perfect tempo for his vocal style. I hate to say it, but "Sex Type Thing"  was my favorite cover. The place went even more nutz! Mr. B & ISE weren't far behind though. "Used to Love Her" became a sing along.

What can u say? It was unreal standing within feet of Slash the entire night and this band rocks! Never seen a club show this good. This for real. Later.
do you remmember anything about the rest of new songs?
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2004, 11:18:48 AM »

About all I can say about the rest of the new songs is that they appear to be straight up, 2-3 minute rockers with plenty of searing solo's from Slash. They're great for a club show, but do they have radio/anthem potential? Probably not, but the songs do get the crowd throwing beer, you know? Obviously, it's hard to know what Weiland's singing on songs I've never heard before & the atmosphere was     just chaotic at the beginning anyways.

A couple of other things.

Slither is much, much better live than the radio single. Thank God.

Duff & Matt Sorum are the most solid professional low end section I've ever seen. They both are cut-up nowadays & just blaze through every song. Sorum also seems to be having as much fun as one can have. I mean there was beer getting flipped up onstage from bottles all night & these guys weren't the least bit fazed by it. Amazing.

Kushner does his job & pretty much stays in the background, which is what I think a good 2nd guitarist does. No cheesy dick fortus rocking out in the spotlight when you can't even tell what he's playing. Kushner's cool.

Basically, I can't wait to hear this bands second LP (and I don't even have the 1st!)  because I think there's just sooooo much potential here that when they get to know each other even better & have proper studio time the sky is the limit. They're better than I had anticipated & I always expect alot from Slash. This is a REAL band.

thegoat77
Headliner

Guitar legend. Simple as that

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 06:09:56 PM »

Copied from the VR forum since nobody was interested in posting it here.....

Velvet Revolver: New, yet it seems very ... familiar
Jim Meyer,  Special to the Star Tribune
May 17, 2004VELVET0517

The members of Velvet Revolver strongly deny that they are a preconceived supergroup, but there's no denying that the combined star power of Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland and Guns N' Roses guitar god Slash made for an unusually charged debut Saturday at Quest in Minneapolis. (Was there ever this much buzz about Slash's Snakepit?)

Velvet Revolver (including GNR bassist Duff McKagen and drummer Matt Sorum) is on a short, small-club tour promoting their debut CD, due out June 8. Their 45-minute set plus an encore of oldies was more energetic than innovative, but there is at least one reason for high expectations this year.

Velvet Revolver auditioned numerous vocalists, but made a wise (albeit risky) choice in the much-troubled, now-sober Weiland, who looked sharp in reflective shades, an airman's cap, tight jeans, velvet vest and scarf. He resembled Judas Priest singer Rob Halford prancing and posing like a cabaret dominatrix. He was half-naked before long, revealing a severely short haircut and a skeletal frame, and he darted around the stage like he was auditioning for Spider Man.

Despite the band having three members from GNR, the first three songs carried more STP trademarks. Before playing "Headspace," Weiland blasted negative rock critics and boasted about the new song's positive lyrics before turning the song into a classic Scott Weiland vocal showcase.

Perhaps fearful of losing the audience with unfamiliar material, VR broke into STP's "Crackerman" and one song later bashed out the GNR crowd-pleaser "It's So Easy." Playing a GNR classic revealed how Velvet Revolver's own material lacks similar hook appeal, but it also set the stage for the evening's centerpiece, "Fall to Pieces."

Introducing the song, Weiland praised a melody that Slash brought to the band, to which Weiland added the lyric about how drugs destroyed his happy home. The song, already slated as the band's next single, features the unmistakable Slash guitar tone and a melody heavily borrowed from "Sweet Child O' Mine." Obviously, they hope the song will do for VR what "Sweet Child" did for GNR: Make them huge. It better, because VR's lighter songs impressed more than their thudding rockers, such as the dumb "Big Machine" and the banal "Set Me Free."

The group returned for some encore fun, starting with a faithful rendition of GNR's "Used To Love Her" and "Mr. Brownstone," and ending with Nirvana's "Negative Creep." It was a familiar, high-volume finale to a short preview that was part steamroller, part roller coaster.

Jim Meyer is a freelance writer from Minneapolis.

/jarmo

Set Me Free, banal? You have gotta be kidding right? Its a kick ass tune!

Then again if he thinks SMF is one of the worst songs but he enjoyed the show, the new songs must be pretty damn good

You cant trust freedom when its not in your hand, when everyones fighting for the promised land
The Bedouin
Rocker

only god can judge me

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004, 07:14:44 PM »

http://www.mama-kin.co.uk/downloads/Velvet%20Revolver%202004-05-15,%20Minnealpolis/

the songs in mp3 format
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2004, 09:11:30 PM »

I am sooooooooo tempted to download this show to hear the new songs, but I just downloaded the covers. After hearing that the sound quality isn't the best I think I'll just wait to hear the studio versions.

Even with all the talk about how great certain songs are (Fall To Pieces, Illegal I), I think I'll wait for the surprise on June 7th.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: