Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 11:45:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228142 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  demian fenton to replace buckethead?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: demian fenton to replace buckethead?  (Read 12408 times)
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2005, 02:24:24 AM »

well that also puts me in the minority then, as I dont believe there'll be more than one album

and to be honest, one album (perhaps a double) is all I want

closure and a masterpiece that will mend somewhat the tarnished career of Axl Rose

then we can talk re-unions ....  drool

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2005, 02:34:38 AM »

Jimmy, I feel the same. I'm definitely looking for closure and one album would definitely do it for me. Its highly unlikely CD will be a double. A 2 cd set would cost too much for the casual fan, and Geffen/Interscope is going to be wanting this album to sell in very large numbers. Tommy made a statement before about CD being a short album, and no one from the GNR camp ever corrected this statement. CD will most likely be Axl's best epics/ballads with a few rockers thrown in. I'm fine with that.

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2005, 02:46:13 AM »

Jimmy, I feel the same. I'm definitely looking for closure and one album would definitely do it for me. Its highly unlikely CD will be a double. A 2 cd set would cost too much for the casual fan, and Geffen/Interscope is going to be wanting this album to sell in very large numbers. Tommy made a statement before about CD being a short album, and no one from the GNR camp ever corrected this statement. CD will most likely be Axl's best epics/ballads with a few rockers thrown in. I'm fine with that.

You could be right, but I see it being a long magnum opus type album, or a double.

Firstly, I don't think Tommy knows much about CD other than he worked on some music (tons of? instrumental fragments, jams and improvisational sessions) with a bunch of guys a few years back. Thats it - I dont think many 'songs' were completed with Tommy (nor Fortus, Dizzy etc..) so they don't have much of a clue as to what form or shape CD will take - they'll be as surprised as the rest of us when they hear CD. Now I'm exaggerating for effect a little here, but I do believe that with CD, Axl basically put a bunch of musicians under contract, gave them loose guidelines regarding ideas and left them to it while he recorded them. Im sure now and again he'd direct them (probably over the phone) regarding chords, tempo etc..

Basically, Axl has pieced this puppy together based on this - that has been Axls basic creative process.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 03:06:45 AM by jimmythegent » Logged

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2005, 03:07:03 AM »

Yeah, I agree it wont be a conventional album. It wont be the same lineup playing on each song. There will be a wide variety of people playing on it. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh Freese, Paul Huge, and others were on the album.

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2005, 03:08:33 AM »

Yeah, I agree it wont be a conventional album. It wont be the same lineup playing on each song. There will be a wide variety of people playing on it. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh Freese, Paul Huge, and others were on the album.

Quite possibly although I certainly hope Paul Huges nowhere near it

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2005, 03:22:31 AM »

a 3rd guitar player would be a bad news for me. useless (like bh). Give the job to richard let him take the lead.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2005, 04:19:03 AM »

a 3rd guitar player would be a bad news for me. useless (like bh). Give the job to richard let him take the lead.
I'm sure Axl knows more than you if a third guitar player is needed.

Pingouirose
Rocker

Here I Am !

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2005, 10:35:39 AM »

I saw Iron Maiden last week, I enjoyed seeing three guitarists, the stage was really lively. But as Voodoochild said, Axl will make the best choice for GNR  Cheesy
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2005, 12:11:05 PM »

I saw Iron Maiden last week, I enjoyed seeing three guitarists, the stage was really lively. But as Voodoochild said, Axl will make the best choice for GNR? Cheesy

Lucky bastard, Maiden are always great. I didn't think much of Janick when he first joined, now I think he's great!

Here today...ready to rock
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2005, 02:46:39 PM »

Didn't Richard say the other week that it is just him and Robin handling guitar duties? confused

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
Pingouirose
Rocker

Here I Am !

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2005, 02:57:50 PM »

What is the current guitarist situation in GN'R?

At the moment, Robin Fink and I are the only guitarists in the band. We switch off between lead and rhythm.

Since the band do nothing now, it would be the present decision for next tour..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2005, 03:56:05 PM »

Yep, Judge Dredd, Pingouirose Cheesy

He also said most of his parts on the Chinese Democracy record were done, by the time he found Jellifish, say, before Xmas in 2002/3. So he didn't use jelly for the Chinese one .................
but maybe for the later ones... who knows?
That intensifies the probability of other albums or activities than Chinese being planed. we'll see.

Well, The visionary missionaries of the reunionism might prefer to stay clueless and say he doesn't know a shit about what he's done. confused

audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2005, 08:18:07 PM »

IMO, the inclusion of Bucket in the new Guns was a masterstroke by Axl - I really think they need him back if this thing is going to be remotely successful

Agree completely, either get him back or some other (weird) virtuoso. I like FN'F, however they don't really get me excited - as I don't expect that they will ever deliver something idolic. Slash is a guitar god because he was more than a great player - he was something else, as is Buckethead.

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2005, 09:47:31 PM »

IMO, the inclusion of Bucket in the new Guns was a masterstroke by Axl - I really think they need him back if this thing is going to be remotely successful

Agree completely, either get him back or some other (weird) virtuoso. I like FN'F, however they don't really get me excited - as I don't expect that they will ever deliver something idolic. Slash is a guitar god because he was more than a great player - he was something else, as is Buckethead.

I agree. To replace Slash, the band needs a master. finck isn't that guy. Buckethead has demonstrated that he can not only play but write at a level that few active guitarists can. Personally, it is tough to defend this project if there isn't someone on board at Slash's calibre.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2005, 10:52:17 PM »

Buckethead has demonstrated that he can not only play but write at a level that few active guitarists can.

Nothing against BH, I dig the guy..

But....

He's never written anything within the group dynamic that's even remotely memorable so let's hold off on
the "write at a level that few active guitarists can" type of comments.?

Taking nothing away from his immense skill, but maybe his talents are best served within a solo career or a jam band type existense.?

The constraints of a proper band just don't seem to be his cup of tea.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
DOASHK
p00p yea
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2005, 11:44:52 PM »

finck is pretty creative, and kinda artsy on the guitar, i really like his style

fortus is sweet, just listen to the outro on the blues
and someone posted some recordings of him a while ago, they were awesome
i think they were called "jellyfish" or something like that
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2005, 01:38:55 AM »

Brain May is going on tour with Queen!   Paul Rodgers has taken over on vocals.  Very interesting!  Brian May is not joining GNR, and this "insider" report is bogus, and a sophomoric attempt at attention.

I would reckon this fenton guy is laughing at the response on this board to a funny/sarcastic joke he made regarding his self-proclaimed "guitar god" status.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2005, 01:11:21 PM »

Buckethead has demonstrated that he can not only play but write at a level that few active guitarists can.

Nothing against BH, I dig the guy..

But....

He's never written anything within the group dynamic that's even remotely memorable so let's hold off on
the "write at a level that few active guitarists can" type of comments. 

Taking nothing away from his immense skill, but maybe his talents are best served within a solo career or a jam band type existense. 

The constraints of a proper band just don't seem to be his cup of tea.

really? I dunno Binge N Grab is a great song. Basic formula with an incredible solo. Overall, Bucket's solo work is much more demonstrative of his talents; Songs are constructed around his guitar and not around the traditional vocal melody. At his solo shows, he is the show. No singing, no pyro, just a very honest and humbling Bucket shredding and emoting with his axe.  No offense to Slash at all, but the top hatted one has taken the more traditional route for a lead guitar player. i don't think it is a legitimate criticsim of  Bucket's body of work because he hasn't stood up there and taken a smaller role in a band. How many active guitar players could carry a performance as he has done? there aren't too many.  And yes, from what i've heard from Bucket, few modern players can write and play at his level. He is absolutley breathtaking.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2005, 01:43:40 PM »

Im still hopeing BH comes back. From the sound of it, its parts are staying on the album since Fortus has not said he has been called back into the studio. He always says his parts were done a while ago. No one has mentioned Finck has been back in the studio either. So i really hope BHs parts stay and maybe he comes back.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2005, 02:02:25 PM »

Im still hopeing BH comes back. From the sound of it, its parts are staying on the album since Fortus has not said he has been called back into the studio. He always says his parts were done a while ago. No one has mentioned Finck has been back in the studio either. So i really hope BHs parts stay and maybe he comes back.
I hope too, but Tommy didn't said good things about Bucket. I guess he's a hard guy to work with, so I dunno if it will be ok after all to let him came back to the band. I know who's the boss, but I think the other guys have a word on this.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: