Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 01:46:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228093 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GnR at Westlemania XX - from WWE newsletter
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GnR at Westlemania XX - from WWE newsletter  (Read 80715 times)
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2004, 02:07:03 PM »

it will be seen by 20 to 30 million if not more people worldwide

Believe me? outside to US nobody really cares about it. I don?t know anybody who has seen a wrestlingshow in the past 5 years (and I know a lot of people).  I?m not putting down wrestling (it?s quite funny), but in Europe it really isn?t all that.

whats the demographic for world cup soccer? cause out of those people i bet a huge part are kids and older adults which gnr wouldnt even target,

Nope, in Europe soccer is really popular among people from like age 18 up to 35. These are the people who buy the tickets and actually go to the games. It?s certainly not a ?kids-thing?!! It never could be with all the hooliganism going on. Some of the games end up in huge fights, complete stadiums get wrecked.

Soccor is by far the most boring sport on the planet

Nonsense, it?s just not flashy and over the top enough for Americans to be able to appreciate it. I?m no soccerfan myself, but it seems impossible to me that the sport that globally has the most fans is the most boring sport.

That is why soccor has never flourished here.  It is just way too slow and boring.

No the reason soccer never flourished over there is because most Americans suck at it.

Whether it?s a good idea for GNR to play at the wrestling-thingie? I don?t know. I am however a believer in the fact that there?s no such thing as bad press. Personally I would rather see them do something else.

-PEACE-

John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2004, 02:11:34 PM »

no one really don't care a flying fuck about wrestlemania here in Europe..so it could be good marketing plan for USA but pretty many wouldn't catch that event in Europe.

Maybe gnr should consider the wrestlemania gig and also a guest slot on the Eurovision song contest. That would cover everyone then  hihi

haha, that's lamest suggestion ever made..no but seriously, you should offer that idea for gnr management and see if the idea would take wind under the wings.   Smiley
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2004, 02:26:06 PM »

Academy Awards? What soundtrack did GnR play on this year?

What soundtrack weren't they on according to the rumors?  hihi

You want GnR to do something else so YOU should present the "what else" that's comparable in size, scope, and time frame.  

OK, here we go:

How about they don't do anything to do with wrestling since 1) It's not anything a majority of people outside of USA care about (no media coverage) 2) Wrestling is seen as a joke by many people and it would make GN'R seem like an even bigger joke than they are to many people.

Good enough alternative?  hihi

/jarmo

Right. So you have no "valid" alternatives (as in, other events of the same size, scope, availability, etc).  Now, if GnR's goal is exposure/promotion prior to RIR:L (and, let's face it, if they were to do 'Mania, what other possible goal could they have), and they feel they have to do "something", and they've come to the same conclusion you have (that there aren't any "bigger" events between now and RIR:L that would afford them the same opportunity at exposure/promotion),then where does that leave them?  

Exactly.

Oh, and Slipdisc, the reason Americans suck at soccer?  We don't start playing out of the crib like we do with other sports.  Youth Soccer programs play bottom feeder to Little League Baseball, Pee-Wee Football (American) and Youth Basketball.  And the reason we don't play? Kids aren't exposed to it. Why? Parents don't watch. It's a vicious cycle.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2004, 02:26:28 PM »

WM is a HUGE event. it would provide gnr with some major exposure.

But I hope they do NOT do it.

Maybe I?m being weird, but isn?t that about as bad a sell-out move as there is?

What other bands have done this? Cause right now all I can remember is limp bizkit and drowning pool.

Motley Crue have performed on RAW
Motorhead have performed at Wrestlemania, as well as Salt N' Pepa, Run DMC & Little Richard
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 02:28:57 PM by THESTONEDMAIDS » Logged
billsguy
Rocker

« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2004, 02:28:32 PM »

Well no offense, but here in the USA, no one gives a shit about RIR festivals.  The only reason I've ever even heard of it is because of GNR, and I guarantee the only other reason anyone around here might have heard of it is because a band favorite of theirs played it once.  Granted, it is a HUGE festival, as are many around Europe and other parts of the world, but most US fans care about US events, just as most European fans (and other parts of the world) care about their events.  I'd never pay to go see one, even if all of my favorite bands were playing, and I doubt I'd even pay to watch it on PPV, even though we probably won't even be offered the opportunity over here.  Face it, as its been said before, WM is USA/Canada big, and non-US events are big elsewhere.  Oh and btw, I think comparitively for sales, US vs. everything else are about equal, but I don't have time to look up the statistics.  If my memory serves me correct, US has the slight edge.

Mike

Mike
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2004, 02:35:20 PM »

Wrestlemania has also attracted legends outside of music such as Muhammed Ali, Mike Tyson, Pete Rose, they also got Pamela Anderson when she was at the peak of popularity along with Jenny McCarthy, they have had Mr.T and also Lawrence Taylor in a match now like these people or not but they were or are popular and did not consider themselves to big.  I mean no offence to GN'R but i would say most people think Muhammed Ali is bigger.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2004, 02:36:31 PM »

WM is a HUGE event. it would provide gnr with some major exposure.

But I hope they do NOT do it.

Maybe I?m being weird, but isn?t that about as bad a sell-out move as there is?

What other bands have done this? Cause right now all I can remember is limp bizkit and drowning pool.

Motley Crue have performed on RAW
Motorhead have performed at Wrestlemania

i was unaware of that. thanks for the info!

but i'm still uncomfortable with it. and i'll admit it's just because of my feelings towards the typical wwe fan. and the fact that my friends will rip me for it.

although if it's ok with lemmy......

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
LimeGreen_Engines
Headliner

I like GN'R, but not that much.

« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2004, 02:37:21 PM »

Well, this discussion has really shown what a pig headed ignorant person Jarmo is, in comparison to the wise moderator he thinks he is.

To say no one outside of the US gives a shit bout wrestling is simply incorrect.  I live in the UK and the WWE is shown weekly and I will be watching WM just like thousands of people in the rest of europe.

There's no way in hell a ROCK band would play the academy award what are you thinKing?! Wrestlemania is the perfect stage.

Plenty of bands have played on WWE tv shows and PPV's including Motorhead and Metallica.

I really hope this happens.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 02:41:19 PM by LimeGreen_Engines » Logged
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2004, 02:42:00 PM »

Well, this discussion has really shown what a pig headed ignorant person Jarmo is, in comparison to the wise moderator he thinks he is.

To say no one outside of the US gives a shit bout wrestling is simply incorrect.  I live in the UK and the WWE is shown weekly and will be watching WM just like thousands of people in the rest of europe.

Plenty of bands have played on WWE tv shows and PPV's including Motorhead and Metallica.

Yes, but it is shown on Satellite/cable tv and is watched by a comparatively small number of viewers. Soccer (world cup)  is watched by many more viewers, and on the terrestrial channels

Big Daddy/Giant Haystacks type wrestling was 20 times more popular 20 years ago
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 02:44:36 PM by Mysteron » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2004, 02:43:17 PM »

Yes, that's me.

I don't know what you just showed there.... Probably that you don't know shit about me or what I think I am?

To say no one outside of the US gives a shit bout wrestling is simply incorrect.  I live in the UK and the WWE is shown weekly and will be watching WM just like thousands of people in the rest of europe.

Blah blah blah.

Nobody means "not many". I know for a fact that some people in Europe watch darts on tv. But I'm not gonna say a darts tournament is a really important event to a lot of people.

Plenty of bands have released new albums in the last few years....

Plenty of bands don't have riots at their shows.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2004, 02:44:18 PM »

Wrestlemania has also attracted legends outside of music such as Muhammed Ali, Mike Tyson, Pete Rose, they also got Pamela Anderson when she was at the peak of popularity along with Jenny McCarthy, they have had Mr.T and also Lawrence Taylor in a match now like these people or not but they were or are popular and did not consider themselves to big.  I mean no offence to GN'R but i would say most people think Muhammed Ali is bigger.

I believe main reason for them being Wrestlemania has been money. That's the main attraction. it don't necessarily mean that they love the show. I mean it's great idea to have celebrities in events, always has been, it gives more puplicity to the event. so it's great marketing trick, do you think they would have showed up for free..maybe! but I don't think so.
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2004, 02:49:01 PM »

Soccor is by far the most boring sport on the planet

Nonsense, it?s just not flashy and over the top enough for Americans to be able to appreciate it. I?m no soccerfan myself, but it seems impossible to me that the sport that globally has the most fans is the most boring sport.

It is very possible.  European and South American sports fans have very little to choose from and soccor has the tradition in those areas much like baseball in the US.  What are your sport alternatives in Europe?  The European American Football League (basically the minor leagues for the NFL)?  Swimming?  Tennis?  Formula 1?  In the northern coutries you have hockey which is big.  But soccor is pretty much all you have, right?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of any other alternatives for European sports fans.

That is why soccor has never flourished here.  It is just way too slow and boring.

No the reason soccer never flourished over there is because most Americans suck at it.

Actually, it is true that Europe and S. America have better soccor players than the US (although that gap will continue to narrow as it has over recent years).  But that has nothing to do with the lack of popularity in the states.  Soccor is still in fact the #1 participant sport in the US.  More people play soccor is the US than any other sport.  That is because it is very cheap to play.  You don't need to spend alot of money (like in American football or hockey) to play it.  So most school age kids play soccor.  The problem is that it is way too boring to watch in person or on tv.  Thats basically it.  We have many more alternatives here that are more fun to watch such as American Football, baseball, NASCAR, basketball and hockey.  There is no way for soccor to compete in a sports market against sports like that in the US.

/Tulip
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2004, 02:53:14 PM »

Oh, and Slipdisc, the reason Americans suck at soccer?  We don't start playing out of the crib like we do with other sports.

I know the reasons, fact remains that Americans suck at it. Europeans suck at American football because of similar reasons. I wasn't trying to insult anybody, it was just a observation.

-PEACE-

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2004, 02:59:59 PM »

Yes, but it is shown on Satellite/cable tv and is watched by a comparatively small number of viewers. Soccer (world cup)  is watched by many more viewers, and on the terrestrial channels

1) No on is denying soccer is "bigger".  Really, though, it's irrelevant, since it's not like they're choosing between the two.  There are varying levels of "big".

2) WWE programming, and WM specifically, is carried on terrestrial channels, now, in many parts of the world, Europe, Asia, and Latin America included.

3) In the UK, definitely. Globally? 96 - approx '01 are the banner years, according to published numbers by WCW, WWE,  and the various Japanese wrestling companies.  

Together again,
AprilRose
Banned
Headliner

Not here to offend :)

« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2004, 03:01:59 PM »

Nobody means "not many". I know for a fact that some people in Europe watch darts on tv. But I'm not gonna say a darts tournament is a really important event to a lot of people.

Very bad argument. Very bad. I don't think darts and wrestling can be compared either.

You don't like wrestling? a-ok. Don't watch it.

For someone whos favorite (yes, I'm assuming) sentance is 'get back on topic.....' you really like to drag it off topic and drag it on until someone gives in. Which, by the looks of things, won't happen.

Ok, lets say GN'R goes on with the whole wrestling thing. None of you anti'wrestling people will either a) watch it? b) try to dl it? Doubt it.

How many of you watch things like the VMAs, Grammys etc etc 'just in case' something GN'R related happens/is said.

I know ALOT of people who never watch stuff like Sharon Osbournes show but when Camp Freddy's there, you bet. And you bet there'll be alot of threads about it.

So don't tell me none of you would watch it 'coz ya don't like wrestling or don't usually watch it'. If GN'R announces it'll be there, or the World Cup or even fucking eurovision, 98,9% of you will watch it.

I don't see how this topic has anything to do with other sports or USA vs. Europe. I really seriously don't.

Maybe I'm retarded then.

So now, who's gonna be the bigger man and give this stupid ass argument up?

IMO it would be great if GN'R did it. And many of you disagree, which is more then cool too.

I just think fighting about it isn't getting any of us anywhere. There's too much negativity in the world as it is and now we have to fight over 'which sport is better/watched more/popular where/better publicity....'. Worthless. Waste of everyones time and worthless.

Isn't there a section on here for sports anyway?

" I'm sorry. I'm not catering to the masses. We're in this band for ourselves. We play music WE want to hear and if someone else likes it, that adds to it." -Axl Rose.
mentalradio
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2004, 03:03:03 PM »

I'm no business man, but, as a promotional tool, this seems like a pretty good idea. The way I see it is, as a demographic, what better audience than a wrestling one? Face it, the typical GnR fan isn't exactly the intellectual, Mensa member type. But, they should probably play an old AND new song to introduce themselves to all you angry, drunk, torn t-shirt wearing, testosterone-driven young men out there! (typical GnR concert audience, right?)  ok
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2004, 03:03:50 PM »

Oh, and Slipdisc, the reason Americans suck at soccer?  We don't start playing out of the crib like we do with other sports.

I know the reasons, fact remains that Americans suck at it. Europeans suck at American football because of similar reasons. I wasn't trying to insult anybody, it was just a observation.

-PEACE-

Oh, I wasn't insulted.  I KNOW we suck at soccer! Smiley

Together again,
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2004, 03:05:35 PM »

1) No on is denying soccer is "bigger".  Really, though, it's irrelevant, since it's not like they're choosing between the two.  There are varying levels of "big".

2) WWE programming, and WM specifically, is carried on terrestrial channels, now, in many parts of the world, Europe, Asia, and Latin America included.

3) In the UK, definitely. Globally? 96 - approx '01 are the banner years, according to published numbers by WCW, WWE,  and the various Japanese wrestling companies.  

Just for the record, I agree that the Wrestlemania gig would be a good one for gnr, but it would only reach half the buying public......which is why others have mentioned other gigs such as the world cup (soccer) etc.. which would be a good move to reach the other half
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2004, 03:10:13 PM »

Just for the record, I agree that the Wrestlemania gig would be a good one for gnr, but it would only reach half the buying public......which is why others have mentioned other gigs such as the world cup (soccer) etc.. which would be a good move to reach the other half

Yup, I agree..and said as much.  They should, if afforded the opportunity, do both.  And one of my points is, even if it is only 1/2, 1/2 is better than zero
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 03:16:25 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2004, 03:14:34 PM »

Very bad argument. Very bad. I don't think darts and wrestling can be compared either.

Umm, I wasn't comparing them.

I said people watch both, but that doesn't mean they're important events to the masses. Sure Wrestlemania can be important to some, but so is the VMAs. And no, I'm not saying they're both important to the SAME people.

IMO it would be great if GN'R did it. And many of you disagree, which is more then cool too.

I actually stated my opinion on why they shouldn't do it.

I would also state my opinion on why GN'R shouldn't be on a sountrack for a movie (if this was about that).

I just don't think being associated with wrestling is something that great. Maybe because none of the bands I listen to have appeared on that thing.

I don't think it wll happen either.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: