Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 01:51:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228093 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GnR at Westlemania XX - from WWE newsletter
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GnR at Westlemania XX - from WWE newsletter  (Read 80718 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2004, 01:01:12 PM »

I realize football is huge in the rest of the world. I never said it wasn't. And I, too, think them playing at the Word Cup would be a good idea.   However, you seem to imply that wrestling "isnt' that big", and that assumption would be incorrect.

Well, I showed you proof that it isn't that big when you start comparing it to really huge events.

Huge events for me are things like the World Cup and the Olympics. These events actually get media coverage all over the world. I don't see a Wrestlemania getting the same coverage.

You can say that it gets coverage in Italy, but guess what sport the Italians follow fanatically?

Remember the Freddie Mercury Tribute show? That was a good thing to be part of. I wish GN'R could do something similar again.

Even RIR4 isn't that big.....

You may not like the product, and that's fine, but let's not allow our personal bias to cloud reality.  

You too.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2004, 01:07:48 PM »

yes the world cup is the biggest event in the world however how many of those people would be gnr fans?

wrestling is a huge part of gnr's fan base, the same people who love wrestling would be the same people to actually buy gnr albums etc

whats the demographic for world cup soccer? cause out of those people i bet a huge part are kids and older adults which gnr wouldnt even target, soccer or football as its called just doesnt seem to go together with gnr or rock etc but wrestling is the perfect forum outside of american football

bottom line i dont give a shit if gnr play the damn frog races in alabama, as long as they are playing somewhere thats a great sign for all  gnr fans

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
swosh26
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2004, 01:09:40 PM »

I realize football is huge in the rest of the world. I never said it wasn't. And I, too, think them playing at the Word Cup would be a good idea.   However, you seem to imply that wrestling "isnt' that big", and that assumption would be incorrect.

Well, I showed you proof that it isn't that big when you start comparing it to really huge events.

Huge events for me are things like the World Cup and the Olympics. These events actually get media coverage all over the world. I don't see a Wrestlemania getting the same coverage.

You can say that it gets coverage in Italy, but guess what sport the Italians follow fanatically?

Remember the Freddie Mercury Tribute show? That was a good thing to be part of. I wish GN'R could do something similar again.

You may not like the product, and that's fine, but let's not allow our personal bias to cloud reality.  

You too.

/jarmo

here in canada and im guessing for the states football wouldnt be as big as playing for wrestlemania. Itd be like playing for the superbowl here in N/A
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2004, 01:14:11 PM »

Let me clear this up for you all.  While both Wresting and Soccor are very big draws (with soccor being the biggest of the two obviously on a world wide basis), both events are completely weak for different reasons.

Wresting is a fixed show with steroid induced athletes and gimmicky subplots.  Its basically a soap opera with scripted fighting.  It appeals to 10-14 years olds and maybe some rednecks that are older.  If GNR were to be part of this it would be pathetic for those of us old enough to remember when Axl wouldn't have done anything like this on a bet.  It would be a new low for GNR.

Soccor is by far the most boring sport on the planet.  Even golf is much more exciting.  I know that outside the US soccor is really big.  But in the US, there are at least 3 other sports that are more exciting and much more fun to watch live or on tv.  That is why soccor has never flourished here.  It is just way too slow and boring.  

That being said, if GNR were to play at the World Cup, at least it wouldn't be an embarrassment like playing at WMXX.   I agree with jarmo about the best scenario being a benefit or some other show that wouldn't embarrass then GNR name any further and wouldn't require waiting till 2006 for the World Cup.

Just my opinion is all.

/Tulip
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2004, 01:15:12 PM »

Its kind of like when GNR played at the VMA's.  Axl didn't give the greatest performance of his life, but the important thing for most of the people was that GNR was actually on stage playing in front of the public.  It almost didn't matter what happened, because Axl Rose was on stage again.  Who gives a fuck how big or small the event is, we should just be excited that GNR may play at a public event.  Any media coverage is good.  Like D said, even if they played at the frog races in Alabama, it would still be the fucking shit.  GNR REALLY NEEDS the exposure, no matter how they get it.  They have been away for the most part of the last 10 years.  Fact is, they probably won't play Wrestlemania, but I hope they do.  IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR THEM. smoking smoking
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 01:15:45 PM by lennonisgod » Logged

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2004, 01:15:55 PM »

You too.

/jarmo

Now you're arguing semantics, jarmo, and I think you know it....and your definition of "big" is obviously overly narrow.  The World Cup and the Olympics are two of the largest global events.  Comparing any event to them isn't exactly fair....and insinuating that any event that doesn't "measure up" is small is being obtuse simply to try to support your argument.  And, as an aside, again the World Cup and the Olympics are not exactly held annually, or any time soon (meaing between now and RIR4).

Look at it from this perspective:  Name another event, between now and RIR4, that has remotely the same viewership? That targets the music buying demos? If you look around, there really isn't one.  If they're going for exposure to a relatively large audience, and to make a pretty large audience aware of your existance/return...you could do a LOT worse than performing at WM.

Now, the rumor could be complete BS...I don't know.  But if it's not, WM is a nice stage, with great global exposure.  Your reservations, obviously, have nothing to do, really, with the size of the stage and more with the product itself....and as I said, that's fine.  But argue THAT, and not that the stage is not "big enough"....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2004, 01:17:38 PM »

yes the world cup is the biggest event in the world however how many of those people would be gnr fans?

I'm pretty sure quite many since a lot of people watch it. You think GN'R fans only watch wrestling?  Wink

I'm not sure many GN'R fans watch MTV either, but they still played at the VMAs.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2004, 01:27:15 PM »

Look at it from this perspective:  Name another event, between now and RIR4, that has remotely the same viewership? That targets the music buying demos? If you look around, there really isn't one.  If they're going for exposure to a relatively large audience, and to make a pretty large audience aware of your existance/return...you could do a LOT worse than performing at WM.

The Academy Awards sure as hell get more coverage over here than Wrestlemania.

It doesn't just target the 20-something downloaders, but a lot of people who are interested in the entertainment industry and their products.

You're still defending the "greatness" of this event. You didn't even care to mention any alternatives.

How about a tv-show? Letterman? Leno?

GN'R never played a wrestling event in their whole career and managed to do quite alright anyway.  

/jarmo

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2004, 01:29:17 PM »

Let me clear this up for you all.  While both Wresting and Soccor are very big draws (with soccor being the biggest of the two obviously on a world wide basis), both events are completely weak for different reasons.

Wresting is a fixed show with steroid induced athletes and gimmicky subplots.  Its basically a soap opera with scripted fighting.  It appeals to 10-14 years olds and maybe some rednecks that are older.  If GNR were to be part of this it would be pathetic for those of us old enough to remember when Axl wouldn't have done anything like this on a bet.  It would be a new low for GNR.

Soccor is by far the most boring sport on the planet.  Even golf is much more exciting.  I know that outside the US soccor is really big.  But in the US, there are at least 3 other sports that are more exciting and much more fun to watch live or on tv.  That is why soccor has never flourished here.  It is just way too slow and boring.  

That being said, if GNR were to play at the World Cup, at least it wouldn't be an embarrassment like playing at WMXX.   I agree with jarmo about the best scenario being a benefit or some other show that wouldn't embarrass then GNR name any further and wouldn't require waiting till 2006 for the World Cup.

Just my opinion is all.

/Tulip

I'll say it again, as I did once before in the thread:  WWE's top demographic is 18 to 25 year old males.  Not 5 to 10, not 10 to 14.  (Their SECOND highest demo is actually 12 to 16 year old males, FYI....but it's appreciably lower).

And guess what? That's the top CD buying demo in not only the good 'ole U.S. of A, but the top CD buying demo in the world.

Again, I understand the arguments about the stigma of the product, and I don't entirely disagree with them.  

Together again,
AprilRose
Banned
Headliner

Not here to offend :)

« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2004, 01:30:18 PM »

I think it's really interesting how we have so many experts in all fields on this board.

Everyone seems to know everything about PR, statistics, who to target and how, what's good for ones rep. and what isn't, which age group watches which sport and why, what Axl would or wouldn't do etc etc..

Yes, wrestling is big and should not be compared to soccer.

Yes, soccer is big and should in no way be compared to wrestling.

These two are so different in so many ways it's not even funny.

SOCCER --> EUROPE etc --> HUGE. We get it.

WRESTLING --> STATES etc --> HUGE. We get it.

GN'R can play at Wimbledon for all I care.

Also, in both cases, I highly doubt most of the viewers are '10 years old'.. I mean really  no

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

The only thing we should hope for is that GN'R will play SOMEWHERE and we're made aware of it!

So, relax  peace and stop fighting over who's cock is bigger Wink

Doesn't mean you have to watch the whole 'show' (be it wrestling, soccer, tabletennis, the annual pig catching festivities in Texas...)

I myself enjoy wrestling, it's good fun. I know it's all planned but why can't we all just get the bug outta our asses and be nice and not fight over every itty bitty thing there is?

peace

" I'm sorry. I'm not catering to the masses. We're in this band for ourselves. We play music WE want to hear and if someone else likes it, that adds to it." -Axl Rose.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2004, 01:37:20 PM »

The Academy Awards sure as hell get more coverage over here than Wrestlemania.

It doesn't just target the 20-something downloaders, but a lot of people who are interested in the entertainment industry and their products.

You're still defending the "greatness" of this event. You didn't even care to mention any alternatives.

How about a tv-show? Letterman? Leno?

GN'R never played a wrestling event in their whole career and managed to do quite alright anyway.  

/jarmo

Academy Awards? What soundtrack did GnR play on this year?

As for who the Academy Awards target, I would venture....no I would ASSURE you that it is NOT the target demographic for buying a GnR Album.

As for defending the "greatness" of the event, I'm simply pointing out it's not "just some wrestling show" thats "not that big".  I don't point out alternatives because I'm not the one arguing against the appearance.  That's the whole point..... You want GnR to do something else so YOU should present the "what else" that's comparable in size, scope, and time frame.  The thing is...there really isn't anything.  And "regular" TV shows you mentioned (ie: latenight tv) actually have a LOWER viewership/exposure rate than WM will...at least if you look at historical global buy rates vs avg ratings.

I realize they've never played a "wrestling show" their whole career.  They've also never played RIR in Lisbon, or released an album 10 years after their last release, and a whole slew of other things, I'm sure.  That doesn't mean it's a bad idea....it just means it hasn't been done before.

Together again,
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2004, 01:37:32 PM »

how much can a small litlle update like "hey the band is jus deciding the first single and then CD will be out" hurt??? this is bs....man im cranky today Grin

You saw with VR a little while back that little updates can sometimes not be a good thing for a band. It can look clumsy and provoke criticism

The best thing for gnr is to complete the album, sort out their promotional strategy, get some tour dates in place, then go public. It looks more professional
but thanks to those small updates we respect more...atleast i do....and they do have a confirmed album n single date
and talkin bout professional
-10 years to make an album
-cancelled tour without any explaination
- not officially confirming RIR 4
now thats not very professional is it no

I agree that there have been occasions in the past where Gnr have not been professional, but that is all the more reason to act in a professional manner now. Management changes have seen to that

RIR4 has been officially confirmed on the RIR4 site. That's the way it was done.

The length of time is takes gnr to make an album is neither here or there. That's not related to professionlism

The American tour cancellation was down to Clear Channel; if you want to find out more about them, trawl the internet. As far as I know, Axl just turned up late to said concerts. He always turns up minutes before they go on stage, it's an anxiety thing as far as I know. It's maybe annoying, but it's either this, or no gnr at all. As for the previous European tour, Buckethead was unwell and was having ongoing tests for something. Because of this, he was unable to practice, so they just decided to cancel and tour later

Man, I don?t know what to say anymore...
I wanna ask you if you know some news, if YOU could ask axl?s manager something just to calm down the fans and show that the band is fine... but of course you won?t say nothing... even axl?s manager don?t say anything...  Tongue
I don?t get it
"we can?t say nothing couse we are preparing a big annoucement that will change the music industry!" = BULLSHIT rant what will change if someone in the GNR camp just came and says something?! don?t need to say the release date of the album, just give us something to we realize that the all this rumors is just rumors, all this bullshit is just bullshit and make things clearier comin?from a person conected to the band.

I very pissed off  Angry

You should live your life based on what's around you now, not on what's likely to come in the future

Gnr will return when they are ready

great
when Duff were in the band, I remember reading in a lot of magazines that the album was 99% finished, even a magazine from Brazil! and guess what, Axl said this too! in 99 !
the rock in rio 3 ( remember axl saying "we?ll be here NEXT SUMMER WITH A LOT OF NEW SONGS"?? - did you forget about it ? I think something very TERRIBLE happened and they didnt want us to know, couse that will be faced like another "joke" to the GNR world in that time)... the vma?s... then that lame tour... more that 1 year in a complete silence ( wooowww, they care for the fans to don?t say anything ), every member releasing their album... doing some shows, with a great website, and we just have to WAIT, couse they?re preparing a "big annoucement that will shock the music industry" SOON !!  drool

I was living my life based on what's around me when I saw in a magazine an interview with axl and he said that the album was basicaly 99% finished ...
I was living my life based on what's around me when they played rock in rio 3...
I was living my life based on what's around me when they played vma?s...
I was living my life based on what's around me when they made that lame tour...
I was living and I?M LIVING my life based on what's around me, and what?s around me NOW is a lot of rumors.
 Wink
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 01:39:31 PM by RnT » Logged

John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2004, 01:50:44 PM »

no one really don't care a flying fuck about wrestlemania here in Europe..so it could be good marketing plan for USA but pretty many wouldn't catch that event in Europe.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2004, 01:52:48 PM »

Meltzer says he has heard the rumor

Management say that none of this is true

peace

There you go.

End of  (fictional) story.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2004, 01:55:52 PM »

no one really don't care a flying fuck about wrestlemania here in Europe..so it could be good marketing plan for USA but pretty many wouldn't catch that event in Europe.

I stopped watching wrestling quite a few years ago. It's got quite boring now

I still like Am football, but I like the other football as well.

Maybe gnr should consider the wrestlemania gig and also a guest slot on the Eurovision song contest. That would cover everyone then  hihi
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 01:56:26 PM by Mysteron » Logged
AprilRose
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2004, 01:58:22 PM »

Eurovision?  nervous

Did management tell you that? nervous

" I'm sorry. I'm not catering to the masses. We're in this band for ourselves. We play music WE want to hear and if someone else likes it, that adds to it." -Axl Rose.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2004, 02:00:20 PM »

Academy Awards? What soundtrack did GnR play on this year?

What soundtrack weren't they on according to the rumors?  hihi

You want GnR to do something else so YOU should present the "what else" that's comparable in size, scope, and time frame.  

OK, here we go:

How about they don't do anything to do with wrestling since 1) It's not anything a majority of people outside of USA care about (no media coverage) 2) Wrestling is seen as a joke by many people and it would make GN'R seem like an even bigger joke than they are to many people.

Good enough alternative?  hihi

/jarmo

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2004, 02:00:56 PM »

Eurovision?  nervous

Did management tell you that? nervous

No, that's my poor attempt at being humorous  hihi

Unless gnr were to write a song with the lyric 'binga bonga ding dong" in, then there would be no chance of them appearing at Eurovision
sandman
Legend

« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2004, 02:05:25 PM »

WM is a HUGE event. it would provide gnr with some major exposure.

But I hope they do NOT do it.

Maybe I?m being weird, but isn?t that about as bad a sell-out move as there is?

What other bands have done this? Cause right now all I can remember is limp bizkit and drowning pool.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
AprilRose
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2004, 02:05:53 PM »

So that's what 'BBDD' stands for :p My source at a radiostation told me they got a cd with BBDD written on it nervous

Anyway, to get back on the off-topic here..

So people in Europe don't watch wrestling..

They WOULD if GN'R was in it. I can bet my ass on that.

Same goes for soccer.

peace

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: