Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 11:29:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When Did GNR "Jump the Shark?"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Did GNR "Jump the Shark?"  (Read 47504 times)
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2005, 03:40:07 PM »

Patience video. That was awful. I liked AFD, but felt suicidal for the first time in my life when Patience came on MTV every 30 minutes.

During Lies when they re-recorded B-sides and covers, advertising them played while drunk. I forget which songs they are, but im pretty sure it was from Lies.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2005, 04:05:01 PM »

Do you really want to know when GNR jumped the shark? It was in 1994 with the release of Sympathy for the Devil. This is when people finally realized that the band was incapable of writing new material without Izzy.

gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2005, 04:09:00 PM »

The day Slash left.  Izzy's departure, coinciding with the addition of horn players and background singers, also was a good one to argue.  But they still put on a great rock show even with Gilby and the horn players and were arguably more popular at that point than at any other time.  They also, for the only time, playing songs from all four albums and even one from TSI (they did start playing Illusion material with Izzy still in the band though).  But, the day Slash left, there was no way they could go on stage as "Guns N' Roses" without people making comments.  The reason why the last tour attracted so many people (at least in the big markets) was because everyone loves Axl and the band name was still the same. 
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2005, 04:10:10 PM »

They jumped the shark with those back up singers, two keyboard players and with the huge and cheesy videos. They were no more the most dangerous rock 'n' roll band on Earth, but a circus. But the lowest point of GN'R's history was Since I Don't Have You. When I first listened TSI I was laughing: what a good and rebel idea to start a (supposedly) punk cover album with such a cheesy crap? ?hihi But when they released it as a single and made a video for that (and they didn't make one for the great Ain't it fun), I knew that something went really wrong. SIDHY is a shame for GN'R.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2005, 04:52:12 PM »

They jumped the shark with those back up singers, two keyboard players and with the huge and cheesy videos. They were no more the most dangerous rock 'n' roll band on Earth, but a circus. But the lowest point of GN'R's history was Since I Don't Have You. When I first listened TSI I was laughing: what a good and rebel idea to start a (supposedly) punk cover album with such a cheesy crap? ?hihi But when they released it as a single and made a video for that (and they didn't make one for the great Ain't it fun), I knew that something went really wrong. SIDHY is a shame for GN'R.

I was quite disappointed in TSI. in fact i probably haven't listened to it in 10 years. (lol, holy shit!) I should probably dust it off and give 'er a whirl again someday. I've listened to "Pawnshop guitars", "Izzy stradlin and the Ju-Ju hounds" and "It's five o'clock somewhere" recently and that was pretty fun. maybe I'll get the same enjoyment out of TSI. (although I doubt it  hihi ) but SFTD was really well done IMO. I love it.

I don't think you can count Izzy's or Slash's departure as Jumping the shark because it wasn't a stunt to generate interest. that was the end.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2005, 05:06:22 PM »

Neemo, you should definitely listen to The Spaghetti Incident again. Although its the weakest of the GNR albums, it's pretty damn good. Axl is excellent on Black Leather. Slash doing Buick Makane was awesome. Slash doing vocals was a once in a lifetime thing. I remember in an interview Slash saying how Axl had to beg him to do it, and he would never sing again. Duff contributed heavily to the album. I think this was a sign of the band's imminent demise. The low point of the album is Look at Your Game Girl. Its not the song itself that I hate, its the fact that the song was obviously put on there to create controversy.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2005, 05:36:46 PM »

Kinda funny seeing some people on this board post about how cool it is that GN'R could go from hard rock songs to softer songs, then seeing other people complain about GN'R recording "Since I Don't Have You".  hihi

Taking chances, recording songs your fans wouldn't expect you to etc., that's rock n' roll.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2005, 06:24:48 PM »

Taking chances, recording big guns your fans wouldn't expect youze to yada yada yada., that's techno n' roll.

/Banmaster

Isn't that kind of a blanket rationalization/genralization for what most would agree was a calculated attempt at doing the unexpected?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 07:11:34 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2005, 06:25:33 PM »

Falcon, if your going to put it after Lies then you should at least wait until after the Farm Aid performance! A great performance and probably the only true punk moment of their career-the blistering Down on the Farm. An anti farm song played that ferociously at Farm Aid is about as punk as it gets. hihi hihi

Unfortunately never saw the performance.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
UziSuicide05
Opening Act

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2005, 09:30:10 PM »

As soon as the Estranged video hit.
joeyramone
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2005, 12:21:48 AM »

estranged video.... swimming with dolphins Roll EyesHuh no need
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2005, 12:22:56 AM »

Kinda funny seeing some people on dis board post about how cool it is that GN'R could go from hard techno big guns to softer big guns, then seeing other people complain about GN'R recording "Since dis pimp right here Don't Have youze".? hihi

Taking chances, recording big guns your fans wouldn't expect youze to yada yada yada., that's techno n' roll.

/Banmaster

I don't think that the softness you can find in You're Crazy would be similar to SIDHY. ?no Not even Patience's softness can be compared to that cheesy crap. Since I don't Have You wasn't rock 'n' roo at all, it was sick. Some people bash here BJ for being cheesy, but they've never done anything that comes close to SIDHY. With that single GN'R became a joke in the general rock public eyes. As far as I know grandmothers still loved the song, so part of the fan base sticked with that idea.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2005, 03:42:24 PM »

The video for Since "I Don`t have You" was GNR jumping the Shark for me.
That coulda been done so much better, maybe Axl in an old cool suit singing into a 50`s style mike. No, we got the most annoying clown in the world in that video.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
usurper
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2005, 05:58:27 PM »

I think they jumped the shark when they became a cover band, fo shizzle ma nizzle.......
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 06:42:29 PM by usurper » Logged
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2005, 06:20:45 PM »

Gn'R never Jumped the Shark
The day that Gn'R Jump the Shark is the day that everyone on this board talks like Snoop Dogg

Wink

Shizzle on

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2005, 09:05:19 PM »

Yes, I have faith GNR have bigger days ahead of them.

Perhaps I would rename this thread " If GNR ceased to exist right now, when did they Jump The Shark? "

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2005, 09:20:54 PM »

2002 VMA's when Welcome to the Jungle started playing and we saw no original members, cept for Dizzy and AXL. The guys were replaced with some sick fuck in a bucket and mask, and some goth dude, and the biggest joke of all. Axl coming out dressed like hes in the G-Unit, lol I was waiting for him to throw up gang signs, He had braids and a fucking big ass platinum chain, and he gained weight. But thats ok cause he was back.....................Then he started to sing. It was as if someone was playing a cruel joke, what the fuck happened to one of the greatest voices Ive ever heard, it was replaced by some toothless old mans voice. EEEK!! then he ran out of breath singing Welcome to the Jungle, wow man. For me even though he gave it his all and the band played hard, and I now take them seriously, to me.......that night................

Axl Rose jumped over the fucking Ocean  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2005, 10:01:03 PM »

Axl has better days than others. The  2002 VMA`s was  not his best moment. 

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2005, 03:00:40 AM »

2002 VMA's when Welcome to the Jungle started playing and we saw no original members, cept for Dizzy and AXL. The guys were replaced with some sick fuck in a bucket and mask, and some goth dude, and the biggest joke of all. Axl coming out dressed like hes in the G-Unit, lol I was waiting for him to throw up gang signs, He had braids and a fucking big ass platinum chain, and he gained weight. But thats ok cause he was back.....................Then he started to sing. It was as if someone was playing a cruel joke, what the fuck happened to one of the greatest voices Ive ever heard, it was replaced by some toothless old mans voice. EEEK!! then he ran out of breath singing Welcome to the Jungle, wow man. For me even though he gave it his all and the band played hard, and I now take them seriously, to me.......that night................

Axl Rose jumped over the fucking Ocean? peace
Yeah that night made me shed a tear. But then I listen to the 2002 Boston show and he sounds excellent and it makes me believe he just needed to warm up his throat.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2005, 03:17:29 AM »

It seems funny to me how so many of you are against songs like November Rain and Estranged, but quite a few of my friends who aren't GNR fanatics, but do like them, like them because of these songs.  What you guys need to understand is that the great rock bands of all time like Zeppelin, Metallica, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, etc, all have good soft, slower songs.  Appetite was an amazing CD, but the Illusions completed GNR as being one of the greatest rock bands of all time.  Why?  Because it showed there diversity, and their music then became appealing to a much bigger audience. 

Producing songs like Patience, NR, Estranged, and Don't Cry wasn't "jumping the shark", it took GNR to a higher level.     

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: