Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:23:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  it could be worse...37 years
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: it could be worse...37 years  (Read 2928 times)
grabaraxl
Rocker

stick to your guns

« on: February 23, 2004, 10:29:34 AM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/21/wilson.smile/

besides the "charlie don't surf" reference, Axl has been known as the new Brian Wilson, and CD has been compared to Smile, the album that the Beach Boys were supposed to release 37 years ago. it will be released this fall.

37 years.... Roll Eyes
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 10:45:21 AM »

besides the "charlie don't surf" reference, Axl has been known as the new Brian Wilson, and CD has been compared to Smile, the album that the Beach Boys were supposed to release 37 years ago. it will be released this fall.

37 years.... Roll Eyes

now we're talking!

hehehehe

this is huge
i remember reading just a year or so ago how the fans had a webpage dedicated to Smile.. the writer who mentioned it made out like these people were crazy...

hahahaha!!!   hahahahah !!!!
hahahahahaha!!!!

well well well..   a-fuckin'-mazing
madagas
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 10:47:52 AM »

Chinese Democracy will be Axl's Pet Sounds, it is the alleged 2nd or 3rd album which will be lost after Axl has his final meltdown... Grin Grin
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 11:07:24 AM »

Attention: Music-nerd alert (Me, that is):

Actually most of Smile has been available through bootleg since a few years after being recorded, although the material is not in completed form. And 10 tracks of the Smile sessions were included on the Beach Boys box set from the 90s.

Brian was probably right when he didn't want to release Smile, in that "it's not commercial". It's beautiful, but it's hard to imagine it having become popular a success, then or now. From what I've read, Brian was kind of flipping out while writing Smile, and he was also taking a lot of drugs. The music reflects that.

Hopefully two things separate Axl from Brian: 1) He actually does complete and release CD; and 2) the material will not necessarily be "commercial", but at least accessible to most listners.

I've seen enough.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 11:21:02 AM »

Attention: Music-nerd alert (Me, that is):

very interesting
i did not know any of that
thanks ok
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 02:47:52 PM »

This is fantastic news!!  I have been studying the "Smile" saga intensively now for the last 5 years, as the situation bears a striking resemblance to this band that I know of....The interesting thing about Smile is that had it been released, It would have predated Sgt. Pepper by a few months, and could have very well been the album that turned pop music inside out.....It has been bootlegged in various forms over the years, and there is actually a vinyl initial pressing available based upon the artwork and tracklist that Brian sent to Capitol in late '66 that was obviously yanked....Its a beautiful record complete with various themes and philosophies...I could write a thesis going into any one of them, but if any of you are interested, there are countless sites full of devotees that explain all of this in detail....even sites that you can DL some of the stuff....If you're a fan of music, you owe it to yourself to check this out....If anyone wants to either listen to it or simply chat about it, PM me and I can hook you guys up over Soulseek, a favored p2p application....hope to hear from some of you musicologists here...

Cheers
Joe
BucketRose
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 03:50:19 PM »

For God's sake...I wish people would quit with the Brian Wilson/Axl comparision.  The only similarity between them is that they have a trouble letting go of their music...allowing it to be heard.

Axl is a kick-ass rock 'n roll songwriter...good at writing a great rock 'n roll ballad, too...but he's nowhere near the league of a Brian Wilson when it comes to creating innovative, transcendent melodies and song structures. GnR boards are the only place in the known music universe that you can come and hear people try to make Brian Wilson/Axl comparisons.  I'm not saying thats good or bad, I'm just saying it's true nonetheless.
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 03:54:37 PM »

It could be worse
don't you mean: It can get ....

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 04:04:14 PM »

I would have to agree with you bucketrose that there may be a correlation between the 2 situations, but any direct Axl/Brian Wilson comparasions would be foolish...Axl can't even claim to be in the same stratosphere, whereas BW is more akin to a Classical or maybe even a Jazz composer...

joe
madagas
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 04:17:57 PM »

Well, Bucketrose, they also write extremely personal songs-another similarity. I will base a more formal opinion on Mr. Rose's ability to "produce" songs after Chinese Democracy. We will see what Axl truly has as an artist. This is his project and you can bet your ass every note played on this record had to go through his approval. He also claims to be the sole lyric writer so it is safe to say Axl has put his entire musical identity in to this record. If it is good, he shall reap all the rewards, but if it is mediocre, he will receive all the criticism.
dave_guns
Rocker

i am me

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 04:52:31 PM »

i wish people would stop thinking that "charlie don't surf" has anything to do with the beach boys.

yes yes yes.  no no no.
madagas
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 12:36:47 PM »

Bucketrose-another article on Smile and further similarities in my opinion. "each song written for Smile was recorded in pieces, in various studios, during different sessions, and edited later in to complete mixes. Recording in this fashion was a LONG AND PAINSTAKING process." "WILSON'S BOUTS WITH MENTAL INSTABILITY FURTHER DELAYED IT'S COMPLETION". "The reclusive genius cancelled several expensive recording sessions due to bad vibes, further distancing himself from his musicians, bandmates, record label, etc" The Pet Sounds sessions and Smile sessions are VERY similar to how Axl works and the personality similarties are clear. No, Axl is not on his level as an artist, but then again, we will know alot about Axl's ability after the release of this material-when that could be is unknown. But, the material will surface. Let's just hope it is not 37 years later.
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-02/24.shtml
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 12:49:43 PM by madagas » Logged
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 12:38:52 PM »

Erm all I can say is HELM!

EEEERRRR Little boy
Outtagetme04
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 02:23:12 PM »

the time will simply fly by.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 09:22:39 PM »

37 years.... Roll Eyes

Don't go giving Captain A any "bright ideas".  You may accidently inspire him to top that.

anarchy
VIP

Smug

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 09:32:04 PM »

the time will simply fly by.

Was there really any need to bring this thread back from the dead?

Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2005, 09:35:46 PM »

it will be released this fall.

Yess..... Just like CD will be released 2005!!   confused

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: