Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 09:24:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  What Weiland Brings To Velvet Revolver...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Weiland Brings To Velvet Revolver...  (Read 34246 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2007, 11:24:23 PM »

Not True Richard.

Sure its helped Cobain's legacy some but how come people like Hendrix, Morrison and Joplin don't get the same shit said about them?

Cobain, had he not killed himself, would still be a huge star and would be a Bono like figure in my opinion.

Maybe its coincidence, but how come every person people on this forum hates on just happens to be someone who feuded with Axl at one point or another and the ones people love on here are people Axl has liked or said great things about?

Kind of scary to be honest.

I am frightened to imagine how many of u went out and bought Christina Aguilera albums after Axl's compliment to her.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:26:00 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2007, 11:35:02 PM »

D and Richard, Appetite had more to do with the death of Hair Metal than Nirvana did. 

If Cobain had lived, he would be like an Eddie Vedder.  If Slash died after Appetite, he would go down as one of the greatest ever. 

I don't ever just put in nevermind to listen to.  Its so dated sounding now in comparison to an album like AFD.  I am not being biased.

Richard, "hard rock" fans like ALG cause its full of shit they like. Blistering solo's, loud drums, good bass, and a singer with balls (doesn't matter so much what he sings, just how he sings it). 
GeraldFord
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2007, 11:38:23 PM »

Not True Richard.

Sure its helped Cobain's legacy some but how come people like Hendrix, Morrison and Joplin don't get the same shit said about them?

Cobain, had he not killed himself, would still be a huge star and would be a Bono like figure in my opinion.

Maybe its coincidence, but how come every person people on this forum hates on just happens to be someone who feuded with Axl at one point or another and the ones people love on here are people Axl has liked or said great things about?

Kind of scary to be honest.

I am frightened to imagine how many of u went out and bought Christina Aguilera albums after Axl's compliment to her.

I'm not 'hating" on Kurt Cobain. He was very talented, no doubt about that. All I'm saying is, his suicide propelled him to an iconic, martyr-saint status that he wouldn't have now if he were still alive. It's quite possible that If Billy Corgan had shot himself in the head, right now he'd revered the way Cobain is now and "Siamese Dream" would enjoy that status that "Nevermind" has. It's just as likely that if Cobain was alive his albums wouldn't be selling more than 500k, what PJ can at best hope for. ?

Cobain, had he not killed himself, would still be a huge star and would be a Bono like figure in my opinion

Or maybe he'd be yesterday's news like Billy Corgan, Courtney Love, Eddie Vedder, etc.

Are you nuts? There is a whole cults that worship Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix.

Nice way to change the topic.

I would bet not a single member on the forum.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:40:56 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »

Check out this unbiased review of Ain't Life Grand from a fan of hard rock from a guitar forum.? Not a GNR forum, nor a real big GNR fan.? I thought it was pretty cool.

This is Andy's (Neo Classical Madman, Super Avianti) review, posted 12/13/01, taken from the old forum:

-----------------------------------------------------

Picked this up last weekend and decided to give it some time before posting my view....

Right, if you have the 1st S.S. cd then forget that...this is different, if you own GnR's Use Your Illusion 1+2 then forget those.....if you own GnR's Appettite For Destruction then pay attention...if you own Aerosmith albums from 'Toys...' to 'Rock In A Hard Place' then listen up....if you like classic Alice Cooper take note.

This album is an absolute peach of prime slice classic hard rock, Slash is playing better than he ever has - his vibrato tone and intonation have come on leaps and bounds and his Les Paul sounds superb!

The band is made up of relative unknowns but I can tell you the vocalist sounds like a cross between Axl Pose (in his better moments), some Steve Tyler, some Alice Cooper and even a little Graham Bonnet at times (but one that stays in tune unlike the original? )...obv these are Slash's main influences and that tells me that this album is 100% Slash.

The tracks range from full on rockers to great bluesy rockers, an Alice Cooper-esque track (think Welcome To My Nightmare) and a ballad that Elton John would be proud off - yes I am not embarrased to say thats a good things.

BASICALLY THIS IS THE KIND OF ALBUM AEROSMITH SHOULD BE MAKING NOW.....PURE UNADULTERATED HARD ROCK THAT DOES NOT CARE FOR FASHION BOUNDARIES.

Marvellous, I do not hesitate in giving it....

VVVVV/VVVVV
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:42:34 PM by Smoking Guns » Logged
GeraldFord
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2007, 11:44:02 PM »

Richard, "hard rock" fans like ALG cause its full of shit they like. Blistering solo's, loud drums, good bass, and a singer with balls (doesn't matter so much what he sings, just how he sings it).?

I'm a hard-rock fan and I don't care for it. Some great work from Slash, but his band was far behind him, stylistically and technically. And Rod Jackson sucks--a reject from the Mick Jagger/David Lee Roth school of cliches.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2007, 11:44:30 PM »

Let's try to get this back to Weiland guys.

I know I contributed to going off course, apologies.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2007, 11:45:26 PM »

Richard, "hard rock" fans like ALG cause its full of shit they like. Blistering solo's, loud drums, good bass, and a singer with balls (doesn't matter so much what he sings, just how he sings it).?

I'm a hard-rock fan and I don't care for it. Some great work from Slash, but his band was far behind him, stylistically and technically. And Rod Jackson sucks--a reject from the Mick Jagger/David Lee Roth school of cliches.

I respect that.  The music kicked fucking ass though.  At least you are honest. 
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2007, 11:47:46 PM »

Weiland has pretty voice when he sings.  When he screams, he is average.  I like Weiland.  I brings a modern edge to him I guess.  He does not bring a true hard rock voice and that somewhat limits what this band can do.  However, maybe his hooks and melodies are worth the sacrafice. 
Juanjay
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2007, 03:15:31 PM »

Depends on personal experience, I think.  Nirvana certainly popularized it moreso than any other band did, but for me it was Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Nirvana that really brought it all into focus for me.

Of course, it all a matter of perspective, all of the above were essential in the movement.

Historically speaking I just think Nirvana was the first man on the moon with STP/Weiland a few light years behind.

I agree to a point.

"Nevermind" was *the* album that killed off hair metal and made alt. rock cool. However, you have to remember that before Cobain killed himself, his band was far less popular than Pearl Jam. Nirvana wasn't even selling out their arena tour in 1993, a fact that some people seem to forget. "In Utero" sold only a million copies when Cobain died, far less than the numbers PJ were pulling in at the time.

Also keep in mind before Nirvana there was Jane's Addiction, Sonic Youth, etc, so the movement was bubbling under and about to explode into the mainstream anyway. If it hadn't have been "Nevermind," it would have been something else.

Martyrdom works wonders for ones legacy.

Pretty much and without Lollapalooza back then where would half of those "grunge" bands be? Jane's, Sonic, The Pixies.. they were changing the music scene. Nirvana was the first to get the bubblegum production and sell a lot of records. But when Cobain had his way and made albums he wanted "Incesticide" and "In Utero" they weren't doing anything.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2007, 03:39:38 PM »

weiland contributes his megaphone
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2007, 03:48:20 PM »

What Weiland Brings To Velvet Revolver...

"a megaphone"
Too late, Jim Bob. hihi

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2007, 04:35:18 PM »

What Weiland Brings To Velvet Revolver...

"a megaphone"
Too late, Jim Bob. hihi

fuck..

i usually cant' be arsed to read an entire thread on weiland.
CSS
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2007, 05:28:46 PM »

Admit it...

You like Scott Weiland! hihi
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2007, 06:34:30 PM »

Admit it...

You like Scott Weiland! hihi

i enjoy some of his music.   interstate love song is a great tune.   i like stone temple pilots but I dont think he is a good fit with Slash.  and i think he has a big mouth.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »

? and i think he has a big mouth.

I'm afraid Scott has lead singer syndrome, sometimes they just don't know when to shut the fuck up.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2007, 08:24:50 PM »

A lot of people don't know when to shut the fuck up.
slashvr86
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2007, 11:22:19 PM »

i quite enjoy weilands vocals, moreso in STP tho
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2007, 11:36:53 PM »

I actually heard Weiland sing the other day - his vocal range is very limited. He's got some good tone.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2007, 01:00:21 AM »

A lot of people don't know when to shut the fuck up.

You're not THAT Bad. hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2007, 01:01:07 AM »

I actually heard Weiland sing the other day - his vocal range is very limited. He's got some good tone.

I've never got the "limited range" angle, he's never had a high end screech but seems to hit every note he's ever needed to hit.

Agree on the tone, not as rich as a few of his peers although good for the most part.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: