Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 01:28:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  What Weiland Brings To Velvet Revolver...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Weiland Brings To Velvet Revolver...  (Read 34336 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007, 06:32:57 PM »

he brings a bit of everything, can be a hrd rocker, a soft singer,emeotional deep, etc.. He has a lot of passion on libertad but can be gritty, the excellent choice, and I have always loved his sound n music since core..
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 06:39:01 PM »

If he wasn't friends with Axl and hadn't OD'ed, no one would say that

If Scott wasn't in a band with Slash and Duff would he be in your top 10 all time??

I don't see how you can say Staley and Cornell are overrated when you have Scott Weiland in your top 10 all time.? Nobody except the most diehard, fanatic STP/VR fans could say with a straight face that Scott is one of the top 10 lead singers of all time

Absolutely

STP were an amazing band and by far the best new band that came out in the 90's in my opinion.

Shannon Hoon is good but Top 5 all time is ridiculous.

Chris Cornell bores the shit out of me

Layne Staley is completely overrated.

We had an argument over this shit once before. I checked out some AIC stuff and I don't like it. It does absolutely nothing for me.

Scott is a better frontman than all of those guys.

I went to see VR in concert to see Slash and Duff and the entire concert I couldnt take my eyes off Scott. He absolutely overshadowed the entire band.

Saying I don't know anythinga bout music cause I don't like Shannon Hoon is retarded. Everyone has different opinions and I just don't think he is as good as people say he is.

Like Sebastian Bach

People think cause somebody can fuckin sing high that makes them great; It doesnt.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:41:33 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 06:59:39 PM »

Scott brings a bit of credibility in a modern sense.

STP thrived in a market place where alternative became the mainstream and excess became passe'.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2007, 07:31:58 PM »

Scott is an awesome frontman and if he hadn't insulted "GOD" there would be way more people on here supporting and liking him.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2007, 07:35:25 PM »

Doesn't Scott bring the blow?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »

Scott is an awesome frontman and if he hadn't insulted "GOD" there would be way more people on here supporting and liking him.

I think Scott is damn good frontman, D.  I think his rant towards Axl was pathetically childish, but has nothing to do with my personal feelings on his abilities as a frontman (not that I think you were referring to me).  I was never a huge STP fan because he didn't strike a chord within me like Chris Cornell or Layne Staley did.

Scott has a great voice, but it just doesn't move me like Layne Staley's voice.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2007, 08:32:44 PM »

I just think the personal attacks are stupid on here.

If people like Staley and Cornell and Hoon, FINE

I personally don't like any of the three but I'd never insult someone's musical knowledge etc over personal taste.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2007, 09:02:09 PM »

It comes with the territory I suppose.

When someone like Weiland has had the type off success he's had over an extended period of time coupled with a vast array of very public personal problems, it's gonna happen.

He does deserve a certain amount of credit to go along with the attacks though.? After all, he was first on everyone's celebrity dead pool just over 3 years ago...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2007, 09:02:31 PM »

I think Scott holds VR back. ?I don't think Slash and Duff are getting used like they should

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2007, 09:05:37 PM »

I have talked to several hard rock fans that like the ALG Snakepit band more than VR.  They actually like Rod Jackson.  These are not big GNR fans either.  They loved the producting on ALG and Slash's Big Brown Les Paul tone he had going.  He didn't hold back on ALG, or IFOS like he does with VR.  I still love VR.... But I don't really know if they are better than Snakepit...  Its actually becoming a tougher call after listening to ALG all day today.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2007, 09:16:28 PM »

It comes with the territory I suppose.

When someone like Weiland has had the type off success he's had over an extended period of time coupled with a vast array of very public personal problems, it's gonna happen.

He does deserve a certain amount of credit to go along with the attacks though.? After all, he was first on everyone's celebrity dead pool just over 3 years ago...

Personally, I don't really care about his personal problems.  I just don't think he's THE best frontman of the 90's.  I just don't see how you can put him ahead of Cornell, Maynard and Layne Staley.  A matter of personal preference, I suppose, but for me, Dirt and Badmotorfinger are two of the best albums of the 90's.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2007, 09:20:14 PM »

OMG, the lyrics to Serial Killer are so fucking Corny............. They are truly laughable.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2007, 09:28:31 PM »

I think Scott holds VR back. ?I don't think Slash and Duff are getting used like they should

I think Slash is somewhat muted on this record, but I think that's because of the material itself that doesnt' allow for him to just go off and do his thing.  I don't see how you can hold Scott accountable for that.

Ali
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2007, 09:28:36 PM »

A matter of personal preference, I suppose

Ali

For me, although Weiland played a role in the sound of the early 90's he'll never be the guy that defined it. ?Never the voice of the era by any means.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Ali
Legend

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2007, 09:29:55 PM »

Ali

For me, although Weiland played a role in the sound of the early 90's he'll never be the guy that defined it. ?Never the voice of the era by any means.

He definitely played a role.  I would never deny that.  "Sex Type Thing" kicked my ass when I first heard it.

Just out of curiousity, who would you say defined it?  Cobain?

Ali
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2007, 10:26:03 PM »

Just out of curiousity, who would you say defined it?? Cobain?

Ali

Yes.

He and Nirvana, without question.

Though Weiland has had great success over a long period of time, he's not even in the same sentence
with Cobain in any historical/influential sense.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2007, 10:27:23 PM »

Ali

For me, although Weiland played a role in the sound of the early 90's he'll never be the guy that defined it. ?Never the voice of the era by any means.?

He definitely played a role.? I would never deny that.? "Sex Type Thing" kicked my ass when I first heard it.

Just out of curiousity, who would you say defined it?? Cobain?

Ali

Depends on personal experience, I think.? Nirvana certainly popularized it moreso than any other band did, but for me it was Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Nirvana that really brought it all into focus for me.  STP, in fact, was the first group that seemed to jump on the bandwagon created by those bands, at least to me...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:32:16 PM by bazgnr » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2007, 10:36:33 PM »

Depends on personal experience, I think.? Nirvana certainly popularized it moreso than any other band did, but for me it was Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Nirvana that really brought it all into focus for me.

Of course, it all a matter of perspective, all of the above were essential in the movement.

Historically speaking I just think Nirvana was the first man on the moon with STP/Weiland a few light years behind.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeraldFord
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2007, 11:08:27 PM »

I have talked to several hard rock fans that like the ALG Snakepit band more than VR.?

ALG sold like, 30 copies...

They're aren't several people who heard that album that you would know first-hand!
GeraldFord
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2007, 11:17:10 PM »

Depends on personal experience, I think.? Nirvana certainly popularized it moreso than any other band did, but for me it was Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Nirvana that really brought it all into focus for me.

Of course, it all a matter of perspective, all of the above were essential in the movement.

Historically speaking I just think Nirvana was the first man on the moon with STP/Weiland a few light years behind.

I agree to a point.

"Nevermind" was *the* album that killed off hair metal and made alt. rock cool. However, you have to remember that before Cobain killed himself, his band was far less popular than Pearl Jam. Nirvana wasn't even selling out their arena tour in 1993, a fact that some people seem to forget. "In Utero" sold only a million copies when Cobain died, far less than the numbers PJ were pulling in at the time.

Also keep in mind before Nirvana there was Jane's Addiction, Sonic Youth, etc, so the movement was bubbling under and about to explode into the mainstream anyway. If it hadn't have been "Nevermind," it would have been something else.

Martyrdom works wonders for ones legacy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: