Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 01:19:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  What Weiland Brings To Velvet Revolver...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Weiland Brings To Velvet Revolver...  (Read 34324 times)
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 07:23:36 AM »

What Weiland Brings To Velvet Revolver...

"a megaphone"

First prize for the funniest post of the day!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 07:33:08 AM »

Cos if its in Wikipedia then it will be true!

no Roll Eyes but if something was mentioned on wikipedia it could be true.. but i searched through all nirvanas albums and couldn't find a single song called "half the man I used to be "

When I put 'Half the man I used to be lyrics' into Google, I either get the Creep lyrics which people have put as a Nirvana song and called it 'Half the Man I Used To Be' or the lyrics to a real Nirvana song called Hairspray Queen.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 10:09:19 AM »

Some stupid has just assumed this is a Nirvana song (Scott's voice is a bit kurt-ish on this one) and now Creep is all over the internet disguised as "half the man" by nirvana. That means there are probably people who would believe you if you uploaded "bohemian rhapsody" or "you shook me all night long" and labelled them GNR songs as well.

Seriously though. Anyone with a little knowledge can tell the difference between STP and Nirvana.

On topic: I agree with Ali on Weiland's abilities. When it comes to lyrics, I don't think the meaning of the words is all that important as long as they fit to the music and can help create the right feeling. I mean Axl's lyrics are great and can stand as a piece of art on their own, but that's just a bonus because it's the music that really counts.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 02:36:37 PM »

He is certainly in my top 10 fav all time frontmen.

There was no other choice for VR.

People throw out all these other names, but seriously, Scott was THE PERFECT choice.

U get Bach and the band doesnt do well, Josh Todd the same.

Scott is very underrated and if there is one thing he lacks, sometimes I guess he comes across in a "Scott Stapp" kind of annoying whiny way.

Thats probably his biggest flaw.  I can absolutely understand how people get turned off by him.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 02:41:49 PM »

He is certainly in my top 10 fav all time frontmen.

There was no other choice for VR.

People throw out all these other names, but seriously, Scott was THE PERFECT choice.

Scott is very underrated and if there is one thing he lacks, sometimes I guess he comes across in a "Scott Stapp" kind of annoying whiny way.

Thats probably his biggest flaw.? I can absolutely understand how people get turned off by him.

Personally, I think that Josh Todd's voice would compliment Slash's style and tone a little more.

I don't think Scott is necessarily whiny.

He's a damn good frontman, but for me, he doesn't resonate like other guys who emerged in the '90's, like Layne Staley or Chris Cornell.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 02:50:02 PM »

I think Scott is better than Cornell and Staley.

I find both of them to be extremely overrated.

What I dont understand is:

Why is Kurt Cobain considered overrated cause he killed himself, but people like Lane Staley, Shannon Hoon etc get overrated but no one says a word?

They were good frontmen but certainly nowhere near the best of the ERA in my opinion.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 02:57:03 PM »

What's the thought behind that?  Because Josh Todd's last album was released last year on an independent label with next to no promotion and to date has sold 800,000 in the US.  Libertad probably won't sell much more than half that much, even with all their star power and a lot more promotion

Now if Buckcherry can sell with no star power or name recognition and next to no promotion that much you can't tell me that Todd and Nelson of Buckcherry combined with the talent and star power of Slash-Duff and the promotion Contraband received couldn't at least approach doing the numbers that CB did
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 03:00:37 PM »

Why is Kurt Cobain considered overrated cause he killed himself, but people like Lane Staley, Shannon Hoon etc get overrated but no one says a word?

They were good frontmen but certainly nowhere near the best of the ERA in my opinion.

Layne Staley's rated the same now as he was in the late 90's/early 00's before he died.  Cobain died at the height of Nirvana's fame.  AIC hand't released an album in about 7 years when Staley died so his legacy was already in place before he died
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 03:07:47 PM »

I don't know who would have been better for VR, if they would have gotten Josh Todd we wouldn't have gotten Buckcherry.. Bach wouldn't have fitted and i'm glad he's with axl these days.. It would be cool with something with Iggy Pop, might have been to much punk but rather punk then grunge, it would be cool with mike patton too but that would probably not have worked..

Shannon Hoon's voice are among the greatest ever (probably top-5 alltime all genres)

weiland, staley, cornell and cobain aint on the top 20 (in the rock-genre)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 04:04:18 PM »

I don't know who would have been better for VR, if they would have gotten Josh Todd we wouldn't have gotten Buckcherry.. Bach wouldn't have fitted and i'm glad he's with axl these days.. It would be cool with something with Iggy Pop, might have been to much punk but rather punk then grunge, it would be cool with mike patton too but that would probably not have worked..

Shannon Hoon's voice are among the greatest ever (probably top-5 alltime all genres)

Top 5 ever?

My point made.

If he wasn't friends with Axl and hadn't OD'ed, no one would say that. Please........ Blind Melon in my opinion were a horrible band.

Kurt Cobain at least, Changed Music.

Do u people realize how many times music has actually been changed?

only a handful of people can claim that and Cobain is one of them.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 04:13:02 PM »

Changing music aint always a good thing Wink i always say that grunge in the 90's is what EMo is to the 00's

Blind Melon was to me an awesome band! if you wanna know what horrible is check out bon jovi hihi
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 04:23:40 PM »

I think Weiland brings a huge songwriting sensibility to the band, in terms of melody and composition.  In my opinion, given VR's sound on Libertad, the STP-sound clearly won out over the GnR-sound in terms of who brought more of their previous band into the mix (check out the "we ain't got nothin' to hide" section of "Just Sixteen" for classic STP-sounding guitar). 
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »

I find both of them to be extremely overrated.

What I dont understand is:

Wow, I find that astonishing that anyone would think that Scott Weiland is on the level of Chris Cornell or Layne Staley.  I don't think Weiland is as good a songwriter as either one and he definitely isn't as good a vocalist as either one.  Layne Staley had the kind of control over his voice that few have.  He also had this uncanny ability to strike a chord of either melancholy or menace, depending on the song.

I don't consider Cobain overrated because he killed himself.  He was a great songwriter.  A truly great one.

Ali
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 04:48:34 PM »

What does Scott bring?HuhHuhHuh??

To be honest , I'm still trying to figure that out

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 04:57:26 PM »

Top 5 ever?

My point made.

If he wasn't friends with Axl and hadn't OD'ed, no one would say that. Please........ Blind Melon in my opinion were a horrible band.

Kurt Cobain at least, Changed Music.

Do u people realize how many times music has actually been changed?

only a handful of people can claim that and Cobain is one of them.

You have got to be fucking shitting me! You must have no sense of music what so ever if you think Blind Melon were a horrible band. Come on man! Sure they never changed music, but bands don't have to change music to be great. Shannon had one of the greatest voices ever, not just talking about rock voices either, I mean literally the guy had one of the most amazing voices of anyone ever in history. He was as good of a singer as Axl or Freddy or Tyler or Plant or Joplin etc. The was amazing at what he did. If you are just judging the band on "No Rain" then you are doing yourself and them a huge injustice, it might be an acquired tasted but I think their greatest album was Soup, some amazing amazing tunes on there.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 05:07:27 PM »

If he wasn't friends with Axl and hadn't OD'ed, no one would say that

If Scott wasn't in a band with Slash and Duff would he be in your top 10 all time? 

I don't see how you can say Staley and Cornell are overrated when you have Scott Weiland in your top 10 all time.  Nobody except the most diehard, fanatic STP/VR fans could say with a straight face that Scott is one of the top 10 lead singers of all time
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 05:30:21 PM »

ok i never use "lol", i'm sorry, but NOW

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 05:45:38 PM »

I think scott is underated, Staley rated just about right, and Cornell overated.
CSS
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 06:02:05 PM »

I think scott is underated

Agreed.

Scott Weiland is a great singer - All personal shit aside.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 06:14:45 PM »

All this talk of underrated and overrated is annoying - i hate them words. If people are rated highly its with good reason - because lots of people like them.

As for Scott, I think he done really well with Contraband, lyrically and melody wise he done exactly what he needed to do to make it a great album.

As for Libertad, IMO the music is so weak and uninventive on songs like Pills, Demons, etc, Mary Mary and For A Brother. Scott done the best he could with them to make them quite catchy and reasonably good songs. The only parts of them three songs I ever remember are the chorus' Scott wrote. Grave Dancer has the blandest guitar (apart from solos) Slash has ever done, its a bad ripoff of Fall To Pieces. But again, Scott brings it to a whole new level with the anthemic chorus, even if the lyrics are a bit odd. The same with the Last Fight. SBQM is weak overall, but Scott still puts in a good performance. Just Sixteen, my favourite song on the album, has cool music, but the way Scott sings is awesome. Yeah, the lyrics are silly but fuck it they suit the song, especially the "we ain't got nothing to hide" part.

I'm not saying Scott is amazing on Libertad, but I always laugh when people say he is the weak link. The music is so poor, he done the best he could and he easily comes across as the best member on that album, well except for when Slash solos, coz there is still some great ones on there.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: