Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 05:18:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New GNR Members Sold Out Their Integrity
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: New GNR Members Sold Out Their Integrity  (Read 4463 times)
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« on: February 18, 2004, 11:06:16 AM »

I am wondering if anyone can argue the fact that Robin Finck, Buckethead, Tommy Stinson and Dizzy Reed have sold out their integrity.  Sure they are being in a band that they can "get abused for" as Axl said.  But when you sign a contract to be in a band where you have zero say in how things work, you must expect people to call you on it.  

1.  They are in a band where they have zero say in the administration.  Sure they may make musical suggestions, but they have zero say when GNR tours or releases Chinese Democracy.  If this is the case, how can they be viewed as anything but hired help?

2.  Part of their contracts obviously state they can not give updates on the new album.  I can't believe Tommy Stinson gives updates on his website and doesn't even mention GNR.  That is pretty sad.  I am really disapointed in the other band members, not for the music, but for their silence.  It seems like not one other band member of GNR has given us any real info.  Even Kushner of VR has given us rock fans updates on Contraband.

Of course it all comes down to money.  The other GNR bandmembers are getting paid a lot to keep quiet and to do as they are told.

I am sure a lot of you would say "You would do the same thing and take the money," and mabey I would, but I would be selling out my intergrity in the process.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Syd Vega
Headliner

Let me break your heart

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 11:14:17 AM »

I never saw anything else in them but hired guns - not a bad job though, money for nothing... Wink Plus the general public won't blame em for being part of this sad mess because they don't even know !
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 11:14:40 AM »

I wouldn't say so, Finck was in a band made up of hired guns prior to GNR, Bucket doesn't talk about anything anyway, Stinson is "good friends" w/ Axl and probably shares the same view as Dizzy in which they probably just respect Axl's wishes for not saying a lot.

You didn't mention Brain, who I've never heard a word from on anything he's ever done.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 11:19:05 AM »

I am wondering if anyone can argue the fact that Robin Finck, Buckethead, Tommy Stinson and Dizzy Reed have sold out their integrity.  Sure they are being in a band that they can "get abused for" as Axl said.  But when you sign a contract to be in a band where you have zero say in how things work, you must expect people to call you on it.  

1.  They are in a band where they have zero say in the administration.  Sure they may make musical suggestions, but they have zero say when GNR tours or releases Chinese Democracy.  If this is the case, how can they be viewed as anything but hired help?

2.  Part of their contracts obviously state they can not give updates on the new album.  I can't believe Tommy Stinson gives updates on his website and doesn't even mention GNR.  That is pretty sad.  I am really disapointed in the other band members, not for the music, but for their silence.  It seems like not one other band member of GNR has given us any real info.  Even Kushner of VR has given us rock fans updates on Contraband.

Of course it all comes down to money.  The other GNR bandmembers are getting paid a lot to keep quiet and to do as they are told.

I am sure a lot of you would say "You would do the same thing and take the money," and mabey I would, but I would be selling out my intergrity in the process.

So what if they have to keep quiet, you know why this is dont you?
ITs so people like you cant bitch at them when they say something and then those plans chance.  The members will be able to talk about anything once the album comes out but axl does not want anything to leak out which it hasnt.
So I think his plan is working.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 11:33:44 AM »

I was about to respond when I realized one thing: Both points are based on complete speculation.  Now, we can play the what if game...that's fine...but at least label it as speculation that you'd like to discuss.  Nobody here has read the contracts of the GnR members, no one is privy to what discussions occur amongst the band mates, or how much input they have, and nobody knows if the "gag" order is something that was agreed upon by the band,  imposed by Axl, or imposed by the label (agreed, the last option being the most unlikely).  You may be correct, you may not be but the point is: We don't know one way or the other.....

I suspect GnR is run very much like a business is run.  Axl talks to all the members, gets their input, and then he makes the final decisions...very much like the CEO of a company does.  But, even in that suspicion, I'm speculating.  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 11:37:09 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Death Cube K
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 11:58:28 AM »

It's either way a very disappointing situation
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 12:15:16 PM »

I suspect GnR is run very much like a business is run.  Axl talks to all the members, gets their input, and then he makes the final decisions...very much like the CEO of a company does.  But, even in that suspicion, I'm speculating.
So a business group run by a dictator who due to his lack of creativity needs to leach some help.
God how unlike the GNR the world originally fell in love with. Originally it was simply about talent and spunk.
Gee feels like rock n roll to me.

If it isnt vaguely an equal partnership decision (beyond the musical ideas as thats an invalid point cos he obviously needs there input ) wise then how exactly is it a band rather than a solo project?Huh??.....anyone?Huh

Are they playing the type of music that they love??  If NO money was involve and NO expectation of fame would they act the same way......silence and being subordinant....if the answer is no then they soldout
SLCPUNK
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 12:27:28 PM »

A hypothesis that was built on pure imagination.
Smoke
Rocker

nobody ever told me baby,how it was going to be

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 12:41:19 PM »

A hypothesis that was built on pure imagination.

I agree with that, nobody knows exactly what the actual contracts say.
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 12:48:41 PM »

I agree with that, nobody knows exactly what the actual contracts say

ok base your theories on the actions of the band then.....what assumptions do rational people come to then.
Loudermaker
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 01:10:41 PM »

the new/latest Gn'R lineup is a joke....

This band will NEVER be what it was cause its missing some essential members...can any1 say SLASH !!!!
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 01:15:04 PM »

I think it was a learning experience for all those involved.  I mean, when they were approached to join in the first place I'm sure the promises and sales pitch, exposure and yes, the money, all  looked very promising... beer
Everything happens for a reason and while it's rather easy to see (to some extent anyway) what Axl had to understand about "the real round 2"--it is rather difficult from our angle to see what the purpose was for the other band mates.
I don't know why you expect to find updates on GNR on another musicians web site, but that's your expectation, your frustration.  Do they regret being part of the new GNR...maybe, maybe not...one thing is for sure, they learned something (be it good, bad or ugly)
You just sound really frustrated...and you're taking it out on the band for not saying anything...what about your boy, Axl?  Lips Sealed
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 01:20:43 PM »

So I think his plan is working.

To perfection.   Roll Eyes

This is just way too funny.  His plan sucks.  He has no plan.  And 2004 will likely be a dead year just like 2003.  Great plan Axl.   ok  You're the best.

As for why the hired guns might not talk up their involvement in GNR ... how about out of complete embarrassment.  No musician in his right mind wants to be associated with this mess right now.  They might not even have confidentiality contracts, but they might just downplay their involvement because of the industry wide joke it has ebcome.

I honestly do not see how some of you keep this positive spin on this.  It is baffling.

/Tulip
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 03:16:27 PM »

Meh, unless you've been in the studio and in meetings, you don't know what you're talking about. If the entire band, bar Axl, had zero say in anything, they would have blown up, regardless of their "hired guns" status. They have a lot of input, like a "democracy", if you will  hihi

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Platoon
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 03:21:42 PM »

''I agree with that, nobody knows exactly what the actual contracts say.''

No but we have a pretty good idea of how it is.
Platoon
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2004, 03:24:13 PM »

BTY I just downloaded the 1988 VMA's when GN'R played WTTJ! Man! That was a fucking band!!!! Shocked What the fuck happened??  Huh Wish I was older enough to have seen the late 80s GN'R!
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2004, 04:09:15 PM »

The bottom line is that these guys would not be in this band if they didn't believe in it.  They have to believe in the new music.  Sure money talks, but really, how much money can they possibly be making??  Its not millions of dollars.  There is no way they make huge fucking dollars.  I think that by now they are all friends with each other.  A few members knew each other before joining GNR.  I don't think these guys sold out there integrity, and if you think what they're doing is selling out their integrity, I can't fucking wait to sell out mine.  Play in a huge rock band and get paid for doing something that I enjoy doing.  Banging all the groupies and getting drunk and fucked up all the time.  Sounds good to me. smoking smoking

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2004, 04:32:59 PM »

So a business group run by a dictator who due to his lack of creativity needs to leach some help.
God how unlike the GNR the world originally fell in love with. Originally it was simply about talent and spunk.
Gee feels like rock n roll to me.

If it isnt vaguely an equal partnership decision (beyond the musical ideas as thats an invalid point cos he obviously needs there input ) wise then how exactly is it a band rather than a solo project?Huh??.....anyone?Huh

Are they playing the type of music that they love??  If NO money was involve and NO expectation of fame would they act the same way......silence and being subordinant....if the answer is no then they soldout

Again, you're discussing my speculative feeling of "how it works".  As is mentioned by another poster, my theory is based "purely on imagination"...just like the original posters.  Maybe they DO all have equal input into the biz side of things.....I don't know.  But it's not really worth getting all worked up over, again considering nobody here has seen the contracts or been in the meetings.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2004, 06:10:53 PM »

i cant blame any of the bandmembers for not acknowledging their involvement with Gn'R. all of the current bandmembers have other projects running in the looong offtime from GnR. i definately think that they downplay their roll so that fans will stop running to them everytime there in public badgering them : "whens CD coming out?!" i dont think it's accurate to say all memebers involved in this project get payed to do nothing as they have most definately worked their asses off! Cheesy

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2004, 07:25:05 PM »

They sell out didn't unless they believe they shouldn't be in a band where they have no say over the production/marketing/releases.

If, however, they want to make music with the greatest frontman of all time, and get paid for it, then who are we to slag them off?

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: