Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 09:34:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Do you think religion will eventually become extinct?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you think religion will eventually become extinct?  (Read 20151 times)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2004, 08:20:25 AM »

we can argue all day about the negatives and positives. but the positives are immeasurable.

The positives are few and far between.  And any good religion does, it does on an individual basis.  Rarely, if ever, does an entire society or culture benefit from it.

you can label any cult group a religion.

But I didn't.

it's really not fair to christianity though.

I didn't call Christianity a cult.  I don't think you know the meaning of the word "cult".  A cult is less than a million people.  A religion is a million or more.

religion isn't the cause of wars, hate, etc.  corrupt humans are.

Religion influences humans to become corrupt.

and those corrupt humans use religion as a tool to get people to follow them.

Very true.  And Christians would do the same if U.S. law didn't control it, just like they did to people they deemed "witches" back before we had separation of church and state.  That law is the only reason we have any civility in the U.S. at all.

you THINK religions influence people negatively. you also ASSUME that your beliefs are right and that there is no god. that's your opinion and naturally you're entitled to it.

but you're being naive. the positives of religion are not always tangible. but they are great. people's fear of god is a powerful thing.

BTW, where did yo get those definitions for religion and cult? i had no idea the only difference was number of members.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sandman
Legend

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2004, 05:39:02 PM »

you THINK religions influence people negatively.

The statistics (not to mention their actions) prove me right more often than not.

you also ASSUME that your beliefs are right

Just as you do.  Just as anyone does.

and that there is no god.
that's your opinion and naturally you're entitled to it.

Very perceptive.

people's fear of god is a powerful thing.

I won't disagree there.

BTW, where did yo get those definitions for religion and cult?

A dictionary.  Many people believe that the word "cult" means some satan-worshipping group of hellions, and it doesn't.

you shouldn't be so myopic when discussing such a complex issue. like i said before, the benefits of religion cannot be measured - because most of them we will never see (like when someone's fear of god and hell leads them down a moral path in life).

interesting dictionary you have there that provided that definition of a cult and religion.

CokeAddict
Headliner

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2004, 08:54:23 PM »

we can argue all day about the negatives and positives. but the positives are immeasurable.

The positives are few and far between.  And any good religion does, it does on an individual basis.  Rarely, if ever, does an entire society or culture benefit from it.

I disagree with that.  I think for every horrible thing people do in the name of religion, there are good things people do that aren't reported and therefore ignored.  People who aren't involve in some religious community are less likely to volunteer their time for good causes, i.e. soup kitchens, food drives, building homes for the poor.  The value of community and helping your neighbor, those in need is central in a religious organization.  For the most part, religion welcomes people in, congratulates them on personal achievements and family additions, and is there for you when something bad happens (illness, disability).  It's definitely flawed, and sometimes teaches people wrong, but on the whole, religion is both good and bad for society.

Religion goes hand in hand with the history of mankind.  It will only become extinct if humans die off.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2004, 11:15:26 PM »

interesting dictionary you have there that provided that definition of a cult and religion.

Ummm yeah, any English language dictionary gives you the definitions of any English language word.  That's what a dictionary is for.  You should consult one sometime, they're utterly amazing.

i'd ask for my money back if i paid for a dictionary that gave such a moronic definition of religion and cult.

but thanks for the info. now could you also explain to me where you get these "statistics" that support your claim of the negative influence religion provides??

please, keep it simple.

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2004, 06:52:03 PM »

Ummm yeah, any English language dictionary gives you the definitions of any English language word.  That's what a dictionary is for.  You should consult one sometime, they're utterly amazing.

i'd ask for my money back if i paid for a dictionary that gave such a moronic definition of religion and cult.

but thanks for the info. now could you also explain to me where you get these "statistics" that support your claim of the negative influence religion provides??

please, keep it simple.
Isn't that how the governments determine what a religion is when they do all there oh so useful polls?  More than a million people and they call it a religion?  And that's how Jedi is a registered religion?

I think that's right, and if I'm wrong, please correct me, but maybe, if Dizzy's going to be wanting a refund on his dictionary, you should ask for a refund on your society, government etc..

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
sandman
Legend

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2004, 08:49:44 AM »

i'll stop being so vague.

dizzy - you pulled that definition out of your ass. the english definition of "cult" has NOTHING to do with having a million members.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

i've never heard of anything regarding what the US government considers a cult. but that's not relevant to this discussion anyway.

happy ash wednesday!

sandman
Legend

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2004, 06:08:59 PM »

warped beliefs? ouch.

i know what a cult is, and i don't make shit up about definitions in "make believe" english dictionaries.

you know i was being sarcastic when i said "keep it simple". but i understand, you're drowning in this thread.

religion can and does influence people negatively. at no point did i try to say it's 100% positive. just that the positives are greater.

you got those statistics yet???

sandman
Legend

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2004, 06:21:27 PM »

you THINK religions influence people negatively.

The statistics (not to mention their actions) prove me right more often than not.

you said it, my friend.

and again, you assume to know what i believe. you don't have a fuckin clue what i believe in. so i don't know where the "bible" comment comes from.

Dizzy
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2004, 06:23:26 PM »

I already provided the examples of wars and things like that.

The terrorist attacks of 9/11.  There's one example which could constitute a stastic.  

What did Bin laden promise them?  13 virgins from God?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 06:25:53 PM by Dizzy » Logged
sandman
Legend

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2004, 06:36:14 PM »

not really stats, but fair enough.

i think that example supports my claim that some very bad people use religion as a tool/excuse to recruit others to unleash evil and hate on others.

this is another one we could argue all day on, but my strongest argument would be that many practice the same religion as bin laden, but love the common man no matter how one's beliefs may differ from their own.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2004, 11:46:42 PM »

i cant believe anyone thinks religion will not exist, it has always been around and it will always remain

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2005, 02:47:30 PM »

jsut as well i bumps this one up for all the fanatics on the board.........

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2005, 03:52:21 PM »

what's with bumbing all these old threads?
anyway, i'll say this about religion:
i'm amazed and shocked that with all the science and technology we have today, religion is still at large, even in developed countries. i think it's incredible that the world we live in is still so influenced by religion, and i'm amazed that despite that we think we live in "modern times", we really don't. the blasphemy paragraph is still at large in alot of? western countries too, and even where it's not, it's incredible that it was just recently removed. let me tell you this, we don't live in modern times at all, we just think we do. i don't know what will happen in the future, but i promise you, this world we live in today will seem ancient. but at the same time i'm thrilled to live in a time and place where i can say whatever the hell i want about religion and "god" and not get punished for it. still, unlike alot of other atheists, i respect those who believe, as long as they don't condemn others for not believing or try to force their believes on other people. the girl i love is a christian, and i fully respect her believes because she keeps it on a personal level. i'm glad it gives her comfort and i respect it, as she respects me not believing. and that's how religion, in any form, should be. personal, not organized. and about religion becoming "extinct", well, i don't think that will happen anytime soon if ever at all, seeing as sadly some religions are too large a part of the societies in which they are practiced.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 03:54:32 PM by August 15th » Logged

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2005, 04:07:24 PM »

religion will always exists, its followers will not.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2005, 04:57:38 PM »

Jesus was never crucified, he was married, he had kids and has descendants today.

Shocked You really think that way?? What's your source to all that stuff? Not crucified?? theres a lot of book, let not take the bible in example, but historics books that makes this a true history, he did got crucified and died.

uhhh just because something cant be proven doesnt mean it cannot be true

Actually, that's exactly what it means.

From Webster's dictionary....

Truth (noun) something in accordance with facts; the state of being exact or correct.

Now ask yourself, does Christianity meet the above definition?

Of course it doesn't.  If Christianity were factual, it wouldn't be religion.  It would be history taught in schools, and nobody would worship it.

The point of religion is that it isn't truth, it's faith.  And those two items don't go hand in hand.  I don't have faith that the world is round.  I know the world is round because that is the proven truth.  Nobody knows that Jesus exists in an ethereal state, so that is not the truth.

Understand the difference?

Agree on Dizzy and Axl loco, something that can be proven doesn't mean its true, but christianity is based on Faith, bot allegations are correct the thing is this will not prevent for the Christian Church to fall, it has a lot of flaws throughout history and the church will fall for its own errors.

Anyway I do think religion we will exist always, just look this thread all people debating whats wrong or right, at the end nothing really matters, just the fact that all these things make any religion everlasting, I think the base of religion is to create peoples ideas in one ideal purpose to mankind, whether is here or the other side of the world.  peace

No man can be my equal
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2005, 06:04:46 PM »

This is such a huge subject.  Religion doesn't seem to make the world a peaceful place - that's for sure.  It's not soley to blame but it has been used/abused by it's followers for far too long now. It's far too big to just go away though.  I think alot fo what they seem to teach is infact common sense values.  I know what is right and wrong to do, and i know if i do real wrongs, i will get punished for it by our courts.  But am i going to hell just because i keep an open mind?  I think our 'creators' want us to think for ourselves, be individuals but hold good values to stand by. 

But i have been thinking about  the seperatist schools.  I don't think they are a healthy thing in our modern society.  They should merge with the other schools in the communities with an equal balance of teachers from the ethnic communites as well as kids. Let the kids grow up together, building relationships with each other.  They should be allowed to get involved with other kids and celebrate each others faiths and not be made to feel different or excluded at such young ages.   Start there - in the early age schools and hopefully it will branch out as the kids grow up and visit  each other's homes for parties ect. Their parents get talking and at least acknowlege and respect each other.

May sound idealistic but it's not working as it is.   

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2005, 08:06:42 PM »

Jesus was never crucified, he was married, he had kids and has descendants today.

Shocked You really think that way?? What's your source to all that stuff? Not crucified?? theres a lot of book, let not take the bible in example, but historics books that makes this a true history, he did got crucified and died.

There are many scriptures which were banned and taken out from the Bible because they were to exteme, for example: Mary Magdalene was a prostitute and was the head apostle, Jesus killed another boy when he was a child. Some belive that during the missing years of his life Jesus went to India and studied Buddism, Buddist scriptures speak of a man of pale complextion (compared to Indians) who claimed to be the son of God and born of a virgin

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2005, 08:12:54 PM »

There are many scriptures which were banned and taken out from the Bible because they were to exteme, for example: Mary Magdalene was a prostitute and was the head apostle, Jesus killed another boy when he was a child. Some belive that during the missing years of his life Jesus went to India and studied Buddism, Buddist scriptures speak of a man of pale complextion (compared to Indians) who claimed to be the son of God and born of a virgin

smoking Izzy? smoking

this is new to me, where did you read this? about jesus being married and having kids, well i'm not a beliver so i'm open to that theory, but it's old and neither can be proven so it's not gonna make any difference to believers. they are bent on believing what the bible says no matter what, even if the DaVinci Code is proven to be true.

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2005, 09:02:59 PM »

There are losts of interesting scriptures to read if your interested in that kind of thing. The Gospel of Thomas talks about Jesus's childhood miracles where he kills many people including children and teachers.

Jessica's theory that Jesus did not die is based on writings of Peter which claim that Christ did not die on the cross and it only looked like he was being crucified when in fact he was standing next to the cross laughing

smoking Izzy smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Gunna_girl01
Rocker

ROCK AND ROLL A WAY OF LIFE

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2005, 03:22:49 AM »

when it comes down to it i would rather be on gods side than the devil's.

i was a christian,
the thing is you dont have to go to church to be a christian, you dont have to read the bible, you dont have to sing the songs you just need to believe.

there have been  many scientific discovers regarding the event that has happened in the bible.

MOSES parted the red sea and his people got through and when the enemies in thier chariots got half way through the water closed up...

THE CHARIOTS HAVE BEEN FOUND !!!  yes

so yeah i believe, just not following at this point in time

LIVE IT LOVE IT CHERISH IT
FOR ROCK AND ROLL
IS MY LIFE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: