Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GnR Vs The Darkness
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GnR Vs The Darkness  (Read 10476 times)
Mattgnr
Rocker

I'm a llama and very proud

« on: February 16, 2004, 05:44:03 AM »

On MTv2 now is a day dedicated to GnR and the darkness - Lots of live videos etc..

Try and check it out if you're a lazy student like myself.

Mtv2 might be UK only.
DazRose85
Rocker

Devon, England, UK

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 06:35:15 AM »

lol! I only knew what was happening when my brother turned up the TV really loudly while I was still in bed, and I heard the opening notes to WTTJ. I could hear it was live when I ran downstairs but it was nice suprise to see it was the MTV VMA '88 version! The other clips that were played from then on were Knockin' (Freddie Mercury tribute - with reggae part cut!), Paradise City video and Live And Let Die live from Wembley Stadium '91. Good stuff! Grin

"You've gotta choice in life... rock n' roll or classical" - Axl

11/06/06 - Download Festival, Donington
30/07/06 - Wembley Arena, London
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 07:23:07 AM »

Finally, MTV2 get a clue and stop playing most of the tripe that they do.

Those are 2 of my favourite bands of all time. I predict that a load of people on here won't like The Darkness, but I have to say, having seen them live, that they are amazing.

beer

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
DazRose85
Rocker

Devon, England, UK

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 08:00:56 AM »

"So never mind The Darkness, we still can find a way..." smoking

I like 'em too Grin

"You've gotta choice in life... rock n' roll or classical" - Axl

11/06/06 - Download Festival, Donington
30/07/06 - Wembley Arena, London
Mattgnr
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 09:14:06 AM »

I like the Darkness - hope they're able to progress in terms of music style i.e.

not sticking to the same format for every song.

It's over now - it wasn't an all day thing just a couple of hours; but it was good

fun anyway.

Well can't be lazy all day - must do work must do work.

Bye

Matt.
darkmonth
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 10:11:17 AM »

eh?  NO!!!  the fucking Darkness are all about hard rockin' twin Marshall/Les Paul setups, with kick ass hooks and riffs.  The SHOULN'T change!!!  I fucking don't get people like you.  If a band does something soi fucking well, why change~?  GnR would still be my favorite band if they had kept rockin'.  By adding synths or fucking drum loops, doesnt make your music any more inventive or interesting.  Guitar riff music is the coolest.  I hope the Darkness keep rockin on the sound they have had for years.  I wish GnR had.  And before you say they shouldnt or they would only end up repeating Appetite... thats fucking bullshit.  The same sound, doesnt make them limit themselves to the riffs and arrangements! Otherwise, Sweet Child O' Mine, would be the same song as Nightrain, or Rocket Queen.  And they blatantly aren't the same.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 11:12:35 AM »

eh?  NO!!!  the fucking Darkness are all about hard rockin' twin Marshall/Les Paul setups, with kick ass hooks and riffs.  The SHOULN'T change!!!  I fucking don't get people like you.  If a band does something soi fucking well, why change~?  GnR would still be my favorite band if they had kept rockin'.  By adding synths or fucking drum loops, doesnt make your music any more inventive or interesting.  Guitar riff music is the coolest.  I hope the Darkness keep rockin on the sound they have had for years.  I wish GnR had.  And before you say they shouldnt or they would only end up repeating Appetite... thats fucking bullshit.  The same sound, doesnt make them limit themselves to the riffs and arrangements! Otherwise, Sweet Child O' Mine, would be the same song as Nightrain, or Rocket Queen.  And they blatantly aren't the same.
i dont get people like you....
what is THEY DO IT WELL? what if they do that thing even better then straight forward rock? but following your rules you get ac/dc, wich, in the words of angus young, released the same album 13 times...... (or is it more)

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 12:36:25 PM »

the darkness is tiny tim in drag lol.they suck bigtime.g N r rules !

the one an only horsey !
Mattgnr
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 12:59:25 PM »

Okay - that's your opinion

I like them, but in my opinion i believe that many people see them as a joke band

that are stuck in the 1970's; and to change this image they have been labelled with i

reckon that by showing their huge fan base they have now that they are capable of

releasing something a tad different, would not be a bad thing!
oh and the gnr reference is just retarded - if gnr kept to AFD style through their entire history - we wouldn't have 'Estranged' 'November rain, 'Don't cry' and many others.

Would you want that?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 01:18:45 PM by Mattgnr » Logged
anarchy
VIP

Smug

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 01:12:21 PM »

the darkness is tiny tim in drag lol.they suck bigtime.g N r rules !

You know, it's ok to like more than one band.

The Darkness rock!!  peace

Smoke
Rocker

nobody ever told me baby,how it was going to be

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 01:21:54 PM »

it is important to evolve in your music.  you do not want all of your songs to sound the same.  It really bugs me when people say I like their first album but i hate the rest of their music because it is different from what i am used to.  Musicians change their styles as they get older.  Usually when they first start out they have a lot of rockers and they rebel because they young and don't care about anything, but they change as they get older.  Guns and Roses is a great example of this.  AFD was a huge rock album but what really but them into legend status is the use your illiusions cd's.  The best musicians have a variety of styles that they can write songs and perform their music.  

AC/DC is a good example of what not to do.  They have been doing the same thing forever, its kind of tiring to listen to them now because all of their music is the same.   Compare them to Aerosmith, they have changed and I think that they are still awesome.  I am so glad that GNR has changed, and their new album will be even more amazing than the rest of their albums.  (hopefully)
pants martin
Headliner

axl fucin rocks YEAH!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 03:03:28 PM »

i dont like the darkness and i think ta have them compared with gnr is a joke the darkness are al about posing for the camera and looking "pretty" and are in essence a hairmetal band in the sense of mass cheese and joke lyrics where as gnr were at the end of the 80's hairmetal scene they wernt a typical hairmetal band like they had decent powerful lyrics,they were authentic-genuine and had shit loads of attitude and (when they started) were just about rocking out and gettin wasted but the darkness just seem fake to me.  and  i just dont loike there songs anyway
but anywho thats just my 2 cents

mornaaan bacon bapp pleeze mate wia bitta brown source
SLCPUNK
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2004, 03:06:06 PM »

[quote author=Smoke link=board=2;threadid=10329;start=0#msg178946

AC/DC is a good example of what not to do.  They have been doing the same thing forever, its kind of tiring to listen to them now because all of their music is the same.  

Yea and nobody likes AC/DC anymore.... Tongue
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2004, 03:20:04 PM »

i dont like the darkness and i think ta have them compared with gnr is a joke the darkness are al about posing for the camera and looking "pretty" and are in essence a hairmetal band in the sense of mass cheese and joke lyrics where as gnr were at the end of the 80's hairmetal scene they wernt a typical hairmetal band like they had decent powerful lyrics,they were authentic-genuine and had shit loads of attitude and (when they started) were just about rocking out and gettin wasted but the darkness just seem fake to me.  and  i just dont loike there songs anyway
but anywho thats just my 2 cents

Joke lyrics? What joke lyrics? Have you even listened to any of their songs or just read a half assed review? Whereas "used to love her" is, to quote Axl, "a joke, nothing more"

As for them "looking pretty" i think you'd actually have to have seen them understand how ludicrous that statement is. And their posing is in the great british tradition of good "camp" which they are doing brilliantly.

You've let too many crappy reviews form an opinion for you. Anyone online that i told about the darkness before they made it thinks their great cos they made up their own minds - you're just jumping on the "anti-popularity" bandwagon.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2004, 03:32:21 PM »

What's wrong with discussing The Darkness in the thread about them in the Bad Obsession section?

Haven't this show been on before on MTV2 Europe?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mattgnr
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2004, 05:02:19 PM »

Maybe?

But i don't see nothing wrong in comapring GnR to the Darkness in this section?  Tongue
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2004, 05:08:05 PM »

Maybe?

But i don't see nothing wrong in comapring GnR to the Darkness in this section?  Tongue

to be honest if thats what we're doing it's a strong candidate for dead horse.
SwedeChildO'Mine
Guy in the locker, feeling like a
Rocker

W. Axl Rose - Pure talent

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2004, 05:09:17 PM »

They are good, but still lightyears after GN'R.
Mattgnr
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2004, 05:12:31 PM »

Maybe?

to be honest if thats what we're doing it's a strong candidate for dead horse.

Well it doesn't really matter now as this is basically over now anyway!
badapple81
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2004, 06:17:15 PM »

What's wrong with discussing The Darkness in the thread about them in the Bad Obsession section?

Haven't this show been on before on MTV2 Europe?

/jarmo

Maybe we should chat about Slash V Buckethead instead? Or has Axl really had plastic surgery? Doe he wear a wig?

At least the topic evolved from a GNR thread.. isnt much else to discuss atm.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: