Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 09:52:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stopping the Greatest Hits album
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stopping the Greatest Hits album  (Read 121513 times)
Crowebar
« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2004, 07:56:58 PM »

I think that noonespecial and pilferk have some very well-thought-out views that make a lot of sense, as to what may or may not be going on behind the scenes.

I guess things could be pretty fucked-up for Axl right now. Embarrassed

I will say this much, if they think that they're gonna' have an easy time fucking a guy like Axl over, they're out of their minds man.

'Cause Axl won't fukkin' budge one inch if he thinks someone's trying to fuck him. rant

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2004, 08:01:40 PM »

I'm surely not gonna send e-mails to individuals or companies, just because some "in the know" guy from the internet tells me so. The band wants support? Well, then let me hear it from THE BAND, or their representive, but not from some stranger on the internet.

Who gives a fuck if the band hasn't asked for our support?  Axl could be all for releasing the fucking thing for all I care, but do you really want a Greatest Hits being released by Guns N' Roses at this point? WTF is this, Aerosmith?

I sent an e-mail because I don't want a Greatest Hits released by Guns N' Roses, especially one with a shitty ass tracklisting.  I don't think that this anything to do with whether or not you "believe in Mysteron" or whether "the band or a rep. has asked for our support".... We KNOW that the Greatest Hits is planned to be released.  The issue is whether or not you want a Greatest Hits CD from GN'R.

Ok, so you don't believe in Mysteron, so find another way to express your concern for the Greatest Hits.  I think he's got some credibility so I used the e-mail he provided.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2004, 08:32:32 PM »

Shit! I've been out of town for a couple of days and now I'm back with this!! I haven't read every post because is 2:30 am here and have to go to bed, but as a fan I'm just going to say that this is very dissapointing ( I guess I concur with everybody here) and GNR should call it quitts  then if they are releasing a greatest hits album. If Universal wants to make some money, I think they should release other shit cause GNR greatest hits ( shit setlist) will sell less than Live era.

This is so fucking bizarre!!!! Only in GNR folks. A fucking Greatest hits album 10 years after last studio album and 7 years after Axl sent that fax to MTV announcing everybody had left or had been sacked. I can't believe this!!

Anyway, maybe we have another twist to the never ending GNR story.

Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2004, 08:44:11 PM »

I was in my local Best Buy today. They just redid and reorganized the music section. Everytime i go in, I go past the GNR section. Today I noticed there was the row full of Old Records and right next to it was an empty row (6 high with enough room for 6 cds per shelf)full of GNR tags (you know the cards going behind the cds). So either something is coming out or someone is playing a prank on me, but then again its best buy with 100 employees and im pretty sure someone would notice all the cds being condensed to make a new row for GNR.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Crowebar
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2004, 08:51:56 PM »

Who gives a fuck if the band hasn't asked for our support?

Just guessing very wild here of course. But if I were to bet on either a GH or CD, my choice would be clear.

So who wants to bet?

Oh!!!!! [wave]

Me, me, me!!!!! [bow]

I'm in a betting mood conny!!!!! yes
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »

I was in my local Best Buy today. They just redid and reorganized the music section. Everytime i go in, I go past the GNR section. Today I noticed there was the row full of Old Records and right next to it was an empty row (6 high with enough room for 6 cds per shelf)full of GNR tags (you know the cards going behind the cds). So either something is coming out or someone is playing a prank on me, but then again its best buy with 100 employees and im pretty sure someone would notice all the cds being condensed to make a new row for GNR.

thats strange...  Huh

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Crowebar
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2004, 09:29:53 PM »

thats strange...  Huh

It's very strange erose. confused

Go read the new topic i just posted man and tell me what you think please. smoking
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2004, 11:13:40 PM »

Who gives a fuck if the band hasn't asked for our support?

Have you never thought of the possibility that some GN'R fans will make all GN'R fans look like clowns if they send out mass e-mails the minute someone comes along and ask them to?

I would think GN'R fans might look like clowns if they sent out mass e-mails written by the likes of younggunner.  However, Mysteron asked everyone to write a simple e-mail to Mr. Cohen to express our disinterest in having a GH released, but in a professional way, not in a "bombard him with as many e-mails as possible" way or anything.

I am not a big fan of Greatest Hits albums, and in GN'Rs case I don't think it would be a good release.  I don't see how it makes me a "clown" to express this to someone @ Universal.

Besides, from past experience I've found that Jarmo usually covers up e-mail addresses that are posted unreasonably, which would lead me to believe that he trusts that Mysteron has posted an accurate address to express our complaints to.  If indeed he is in on a "ploy" to make us think that the GH is NOT CD, than I'll be happy to be suckered in by it.
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2004, 11:19:34 PM »

I bet Axl and Guns N' Roses will stop this  Greatest Hits album before it comes out and no one will ever see it.  ok  

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
Crowebar
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2004, 01:22:37 AM »

I bet Axl and Guns N' Roses will stop this  Greatest Hits album before it comes out and no one will ever see it.  ok  

I bet you're right. yes

But, ummmmmmm.............................                    
                                                                                                [headscratch]

How? Huh
Platoon
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2004, 04:12:24 AM »

This only tells me that CD is no where in sight!!! rant If the new CD was done or was very close to being done the Record Company wouldnt even bother with the thought of releasing a GH album! They are tired of fucking with MR. Rose and I dont blame them!! They have gave him $$millions$$ and 5/6 years to finish this new album and he still isnt going anywhere with it!
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2004, 04:27:06 AM »

Who is promoting a Greatest Hits?

Universal...

Where and how do they promote anything?
Have you seen anything FROM UNIVERSAL?
Have you heard anything FROM UNIVERSAL?

All you have is Mysteron talking. And he's not really saying much, is he?

I mean this guy comes here, gets everyone excited about street teams and stuff. Then all of a sudden, he comes and asks us to spam someone's e-mail and boycott a product of wich we don't even know if it exists.

That Mysteron guy might as well be watching the conversation here and laughing his ass off about the panic he caused.

I'm surely not gonna send e-mails to individuals or companies, just because some "in the know" guy from the internet tells me so. The band wants support? Well, then let me hear it from THE BAND, or their representive, but not from some stranger on the internet.

I mean no offense to Mysteron. If he's half as cool as most people here think, he probably understands my point of view. I'd really like to believe him, but with his hit-and-run policy when it comes to give away info, he's not really adding to that.

Oh, well...I'm gonna shut up now. Go send out your e-mails and see how far it gets you.

I respect what you're saying, but you're being a little dramatic about things. I have not mentioned spamming, and as long as people are expressing themselves in an adult manner, then there is no panic being caused

The fact is, Sanctuary/Axl do not want the greatest hits, whereas Universal do. So all I am doing in effect is adding some weight to one side of the argument. I just want Universal to see what the fans are saying
Irishfecker
Headliner

Superman is Irish,and he's a fecker,he's me

« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2004, 04:52:07 AM »

Mysteron I know you are probably sick to death of being asked this,but could management give us some sort of timeline in regards to something OFFICIAL being said,whether it be about the bands unhappieness in regards to the gh release or confirming the Lisbon gig,anything at all?

Cause Im getting sick of this fiasco that we call GnR maybe this gh is a good idea and will give a good kick where its needed to certain people,and maybe push the release of cd?

The Father

i am the fatherIrishfecker,who happens to be superman too,feel priveleged to know me?

why the fuck not?
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2004, 05:58:11 AM »

yes, i agree with Irish Fecker. does the management even know what they are doing?? if there was a tour being planned surely more dates would've been announced by now, and not just the RIR festival. is there even a cd in the works? everything i thought was suppose to happen regarding chinese democracy didn't happen at all. i think i'm not the only one questining Axl's motives by now. common' a tour with no cd, 3 years doing a few shows and nothing. there isn't a word from Axl, there isn't a word from the band. this sounds really bad. and bottom line i think this rir 2001 all over again. wich means same old set list, nothing new, no cd, no nothing.

the question is. IS There a cd? and if so, are they even planning on releasing it? i'm a die hard Axl fan. but this is getting too much. if there's no band and no cd, then just say it and let us get over with it.

Chinese Democracy!
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2004, 06:53:52 AM »

yes, i agree with Irish Fecker. does the management even know what they are doing?? if there was a tour being planned surely more dates would've been announced by now, and not just the RIR festival. is there even a cd in the works? everything i thought was suppose to happen regarding chinese democracy didn't happen at all. i think i'm not the only one questining Axl's motives by now. common' a tour with no cd, 3 years doing a few shows and nothing. there isn't a word from Axl, there isn't a word from the band. this sounds really bad. and bottom line i think this rir 2001 all over again. wich means same old set list, nothing new, no cd, no nothing.

the question is. IS There a cd? and if so, are they even planning on releasing it? i'm a die hard Axl fan. but this is getting too much. if there's no band and no cd, then just say it and let us get over with it.

Well, I can't doing anything unfortunately

But if you look at things logically, if gnr are going to be touring this summer, and releasing an album...then it will have to be announced quite soon - late March/early April latest.....so time will answer your question anyway
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2004, 07:38:13 AM »

I was "talking" to (emailing, actually) a friend of mine about GH, and she presented a scenario I had not thought about.  In her opinion (and it's well founded), GH does not necessarily mean CD is nowhere in sight.  In fact, it could well mean, in the labels opinion, quite the opposite.  The label could be releasing the GH CD so that the "new fans" garnered by Chinese Democracy, have a "one stop" item to pick up to sample the best (keep in mind, by best, they mean best selling/most popular in the mainstream, etc) of the GnR catalog.  That's a scenario I hadn't thought of, myself.  Of course, it doesn't touch the fact that the band is not "approving" the release, which is one of my major bones of contention, but it certainly is an interesting tidbit to consider.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 07:38:46 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2004, 07:46:28 AM »

I was "talking" to (emailing, actually) a friend of mine about GH, and she presented a scenario I had not thought about.  In her opinion (and it's well founded), GH does not necessarily mean CD is nowhere in sight.  In fact, it could well mean, in the labels opinion, quite the opposite.  The label could be releasing the GH CD so that the "new fans" garnered by Chinese Democracy, have a "one stop" item to pick up to sample the best (keep in mind, by best, they mean best selling/most popular in the mainstream, etc) of the GnR catalog.  That's a scenario I hadn't thought of, myself.  Of course, it doesn't touch the fact that the band is not "approving" the release, which is one of my major bones of contention, but it certainly is an interesting tidbit to consider.

I'm not necessarily against the Greatest Hits album in principle, and I don't think it's a -major- issue with gnr. In reality, most bands have lots of official and unofficial greatest hits albums, and maybe it's not a bad thing

However, it has provoked a disagreement, which is not desirable, and I think it's a good thing that the fans be heard

However, we need to keep a sense of perspective on this though. It's a little fish in a big pond
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2004, 07:54:23 AM »

I'm not necessarily against the Greatest Hits album in principle, and I don't think it's a -major- issue with gnr. In reality, most bands have lots of official and unofficial greatest hits albums, and maybe it's not a bad thing

However, it has provoked a disagreement, which is not desirable, and I think it's a good thing that the fans be heard

However, we need to keep a sense of perspective on this though. It's a little fish in a big pond

Mysteron,
    Oh, I agree with you.  The only reasons I posted my comments were:

a) no one, on either side, has mentioned that scenario.

and

b) Most people think the GH CD is absolutely a BAD sign (me included, until she sent me that email) for CD.

I thought it would be an interesting point to add to the discussion, all things considered.  I mean, if you think about it from an industry/biz point of view, it does sorta make sense.

Personally, I don't really want a GH product with no input from the band.  And I certainly don't want a product that's going to cause ill-will or discord to develop between the label and the band...that's not good for anybody.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 07:56:40 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2004, 09:24:43 AM »

I respect what you're saying, but you're being a little dramatic about things. I have not mentioned spamming, and as long as people are expressing themselves in an adult manner, then there is no panic being caused

The fact is, Sanctuary/Axl do not want the greatest hits, whereas Universal do. So all I am doing in effect is adding some weight to one side of the argument. I just want Universal to see what the fans are saying

Well, I'm not the one who caused that drama in the first place. I just comment on it. Maybe spamming isn't the right word, but that e-mail "campaign" is just wrong, since it will not get the fans or the band anywhere.

I don't like the idea of a GH wich is not approved by the band any more than you. But from a business point of view, the GH is not for me (the hardcore fan) anyway, it's for the average Joe. So if I send e-mails expressing my disagreement and boycott, the company is still gonna think "Well, fuck ?t, our money comes from somewhere else anyway." And it's not gonna make a difference if they get tons of mails like that. There's still millions of people who'd buy a shitty GH, and you know that just as the record company knows that.

To help solving the problem, all the band has to do is announce a little statement about their disagreement with the GH, and how it keeps them from progressing with the Chinese Democracy project and stuff. They could post a message on their website, involve the fans and the media to the band's advance instead of excluding them to the band's disadvantage, and then go off about the GH and record company in public, concerts, rants etc. - maybe they don't even have to do that, maybe just threatening the record company to do that would help more than some hardcore fans sending out e-mails.

Such a statement, and no fan would buy the GH. Even the average Joe would think "Well, it's a shitty product and not even the and is behind that, so why should I buy it?" And that's something the record company also knows. There you have your "weight to one side of the argument".

You're being too intense  peace

This is a small-scale expression of feeling on a minor problem in a very big world. If gnr want a bigger style campaign, then they'll ask for it themselves

axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2004, 10:22:32 AM »

Here's mine:
Dear sir:

It has come to my attention that Universal Music is planning to release a Greatest Hits album featuring several popular singles by Guns n' Roses.  I am a die-hard Gn'R fan, and I do not agree with this decision, and there are several reasons for this.
     To begin with, I am disappointed with the song selection on this release.  While I like almost every song Guns n' Roses has recorded and released, I feel that there are stronger tracks in their catalog that are not included here.
     Additionally, it would seem that, based on statements made by various current band members in publically available interviews, that the new album titled "Chinese Democracy" is nearing readiness for release.  I believe it to be a mistake to release anything that might take the focus from this endeavor.  The public, and die-hard Gn'R fans like myself, would doubtless feel let down by a disc of retreads when there is apparently new material in the offing.  The mystique surrounding this band has never truly died and it would, I feel, be tarnished by a Greatest Hits release.
     Finally, and, I think, most importantly, the focus should be on the future of Guns n' Roses, not on the past.  Times have changed, the band has changed, and public interest has changed.  New music would be a far better seller than old at this time.  Remember, the surprise appearance by the band at the MTV Video Music Awards 2002 generated quite a bit of media attention and excitement.  The buying public is ready for something new, and a Greatest Hits album is anything but.
     Please take my points into careful consideration and think hard before moving forward with the Greatest Hits release.  Many people call themselves fans of Guns n' Roses, and "Chinese Democracy" is what fans want, the sooner the better.
     Thank you for your time.  Feel free to reply with any questions you may have.
     Regards,
Michael B. McGann
Executive Producer
James Crystal Radio Group

Sound OK?
/Mike

oooooo, very good, mine was a bit more simple, but hey!

That's a hatrick for Doull
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: