Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:27:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stopping the Greatest Hits album
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stopping the Greatest Hits album  (Read 121262 times)
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2004, 02:21:29 PM »

I see, yeah I guess Axl keeps alive the possibility that cd won't be coming out..but I believe that possibility is very low
just_one
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2004, 02:33:38 PM »

axl can suck my dick
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2004, 02:35:13 PM »

axl can suck my dick

I bet you would like that..wouldn't you darling..
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2004, 03:26:43 PM »

I'm feeling a bit ambivalent about this personaly, as it would seem a lot of us are....I agree with many points in many posts on both ends of the issue.  I can see taking issue with us fighting Axl's battles for him...I mean, the 1st petition went around and we received not so much as a peep...now, this post isn't going to devolve into an "Axl owes us", but fuck...what about all of those interested in RIR who take a weekend off of work, pay for plane fare, hotels, etc.?  Now, Mysteron claims the official RIR site was the means they chose to confirm, but with all due respect, I think first and foremost, an announcement like this from label, management, whomever, would be a healthy start before we all start circling the wagons again..Likewise, a lot of folks on here put a great deal of effort into this street team situation, and a little "We'll announce the name shortly", or SOMETHING from an official channel is not much to ask, I just hope this wasn't planned for the GH...

On to Geffen: Regardless of the amount that they have invested, if Geffen chooses to recoup some of its funding for CD, then shitty tracklist or not, go for it.  If this is a powerplay for CD, then the label must be privy to some knowledge that it is not imminent or not completed, and thus are justified.  I say that because whether this GH taints the GNR legacy or not, W. Axl Rose has had multiple attempts to rectify this situation, the label has been infinitely patient (they didn't start threatening until last November), certainly beyond the reasonable limits of any such treatment another artist would receive.  I know a lot of you would argue that "that's simply because the material is exceptional."  I used to say this to myself too.  At this point, it could be an orgasmic explosion of Beethoveen, Mr. Bungle, and Fugazi, but in all honesty, enough is enough with the semantics and the circular rationalizations, because guess what?  If this record ends up in a breech of contract suit, we'll be suffering the consequences.  Just like we suffer with every other beacon of hope that comes along.  Geffen won't suffer...they'll release every archival piece of GNR footage they've got in the pipeline until they feel they've recouped sufficiently....Axl will retreat to Malibu, and the remaining members will carry on in either former or entirely new projects.  By Axl saying "if it never happens, you'll never have missed it," he gets a constant cop out pass from all of us because we'll always refer to lines akin to this as we all continue to ponder and wait.....Bombard Geffen if you hate the tracklist, great, but also take the time out to inundate Sanctuary as well...they're not the fucking victim here...we are....read seven pages of replys, had a few reactions.....

Joe

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 03:29:34 PM by oneway23 » Logged
grumpy young man
Opening Act

Your sense isn't making any...

« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2004, 03:30:29 PM »

my email has been sent.

I have never done this for any kind of musical "movement" so I must really feel strongly about it.
madagas
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2004, 03:31:17 PM »

Joe, you are exactly right....
Crowebar
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2004, 03:31:42 PM »

Someone who lives in LA needs to find out the name of the studio they are "recording finishing touches" in (assuming they actually are, it seems unlikely to me that any recording work is actually being done) and just barge in. Just go for broke and barge in Gord Brody-style.

This is not a very good idea dude. no

In fact, it would probably get the person shot or, at the very least, fucked-up for life like paralyzed. This person would also be facing serious criminal charges with the very real possibilty of going to jail, like that stalker freak-bitch did.

I hope ya' were joking, which I'm sure you were. yes beer smoking

Also, that was a well-written post there Joe and I agree wholeheartedly. yes ok

Well done dude. [headbanger]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 03:39:18 PM by Crowebar » Logged
jbenzz
Rocker

I'm a dolphin

« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2004, 03:43:06 PM »

Not wanting to sift through 7 pages of comments, this might have been said already.  IT occurs to me that a Record Label really isn't gonna care about a relatively small group of people writing letters to them, but if we forward the letters to radio stations, MTV, MuchMusic, VH1 etc, then they might comment on it.  If everyone that sends a letter adds something so that it is immediatly recognizable as part of a petition, with everyone individualizing it, the media is going ot pic k up on it.  If it looks like a large organized petition, they may mention it on news, on their website, on the air or something like that.  That will get the record label's attention much faster.  The problem is that it could backfire as promotion for the GH release.  

Just a Thought
/Ben

I tell my friends, they never believe me
They think that I've finally lost it completly
SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2004, 03:53:58 PM »

On the subject of "Chinese Democracy" being "disguised" as the Greatest Hits CD...I highly doubt this. It wouldn't be a "disguise" at all! What better way to take another shot at the old members of the band than by having "Chinese Democracy" released as "Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits"?
Crowebar
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2004, 04:07:38 PM »

On the subject of "Chinese Democracy" being "disguised" as the Greatest Hits CD...I highly doubt this. It wouldn't be a "disguise" at all! What better way to take another shot at the old members of the band than by having "Chinese Democracy" released as "Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits"?

[idea]

Fuck me dude!!! Shocked

That is an excellent fukkin' idea and I never thought of that!!! beer smoking

I could see Axl thinking along those lines as well. Grin rofl hihi

Axl's a super-fukkin'-freak and would get off on just that sort of kick in the teeth. yes

Not that that makes it right or anything. no But, oh well. That's Axl 4 ya' if it's true. [headbanger]
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2004, 04:16:09 PM »

I said it before and I am going to say it again: I think everyone is going the wrong way about this whole mess. Universal are the only ones willing to stand up to Axl at this point. Why should we bail him out and buy him even more time? It's about time someone tells him that we've had enough already. We're just being his yes men if we bail him out.

I just have a bad feeling this will end really badly. What happens if we get the GH cancelled and Universal decides they are done with this mess?  They know CD is not ready and now we are telling them they have no chance in getting some of their  money back, so what is going to stop them from pulling the plug now?  no
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2004, 04:27:16 PM »

If they had CD in their hands, do you honestly think they'd waste their time promoting a half ass greatest hits?
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2004, 04:32:48 PM »

If they had CD in their hands, do you honestly think they'd waste their time promoting a half ass greatest hits?

It's not as simple as them getting the master and copying. Just because its finished doesnt mean it'll be released. Axl said at rio that lots of people tried to stop him putting together the band and releasing CD, there must be legal issues to sort out.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2004, 04:59:38 PM »

It's not as simple as them getting the master and copying. Just because its finished doesnt mean it'll be released. Axl said at rio that lots of people tried to stop him putting together the band and releasing CD, there must be legal issues to sort out.

What legal issues? As far as we know Axl just doesn't have the confidence in the material. It's time to stop making excuses for him.

Who is promoting a Greatest Hits?

Universal...
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2004, 05:04:48 PM »

I don't understand what legalities there are either. The people trying to stop him were the old line up when they tried to stop him from using the GNR name, then stopped him from releasing AFD 2000.

I remember Slash on the Stern show saying they finally just stopped caring about him using the GNR name but he was trying some other stuff that they didn't like, such as AFD 2000.

There isn't anything standing in his way of releasing CD. He almost released it at least once before, and all the old members seem to be anxious to hear it as well...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 05:06:41 PM by misterID » Logged

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
Layne420
Rocker

« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2004, 05:10:54 PM »

Axl already sold over a shit load of records... What more things could he dodo besides of what the fans want from him.. I mean he in his 40's. Its not like he needs to money and if  he does need the money he's not only one doing the whole lets just release this thing. Maybe people are getting tired of dealing with his shit but its Axl and nothing more.

Just stop reading bullshit post  Smiley

When there's no more water left
And no more air in our breath
What will this earth be worth?
Do you want war or peace?
Blood for oil greed
Won't feed, won't the hunger our need

FLOW
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2004, 05:24:21 PM »

What legal issues? As far as we know Axl just doesn't have the confidence in the material. It's time to stop making excuses for him.

As far as we know? We know?? KNOW?? Neither you nor i know how Axl feels, so don't try and psychoanalyse him based on maybe a dozen interviews in the last decade.

All i know is that he is proud of the songs they've given to us, and that he's "holding his big guns back". Which to my IMPLIES that he is confident in the material.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 05:25:19 PM by 2NaFish » Logged
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2004, 05:52:31 PM »

As far as we know? We know?? KNOW?? Neither you nor i know how Axl feels, so don't try and psychoanalyse him based on maybe a dozen interviews in the last decade.

You totally misunderstood my post. I mean that for all we know the delays could be for any reason. You're the one making assumptions here saying that it's for legal reasons. We have no idea what's going on because the guy does not communicate.

Where and how do they promote anything?
Have you seen anything FROM UNIVERSAL?
Have you heard anything FROM UNIVERSAL?

I'm surely not gonna send e-mails to individuals or companies, just because some "in the know" guy from the internet tells me so. The band wants support? Well, then let me hear it from THE BAND, or their representive, but not from some stranger on the internet.

Oh, well...I'm gonna shut up now. Go send out your e-mails and see how far it gets you.

Whoa, I don't know where all that came from.  I think it's safe to say Universal is promoting this album because we've gotten confirmation from multiple sources. It's already up for pre-order on CD Universe.

I agree with the rest of your post so I'm not sure why you are directing that at me. I've said all along that emailing Universal isn't the right thing to do and that we deserve to hear from the band if they want us to fight their battle.
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2004, 05:53:35 PM »

"No, that's not what I'm saying.? I think he has every right to be pissed off.? UM has taken control of his material, which he? (along with the other former members) worked his ass off to create, without so much as a how do you do."

I'm trying to understand this...Didn't he make a lot of money from this old material? Isn't that why he got to throw tantrums (like St. Louis) and have the tour continue, because EVERYONE was making bejamins? Yeah the business waters are full of sharks and one company gets gobbled by another, that's just a fact, and an uncontrollable one...that's why when you sign a contract, you, the artist are taking a risk?   ???Right? Because maybe the company you signed with initially gets gobbled up by Universal...I can understand being pissed, but I don't see how intentionally breaking your contract is any kind of rational, adult solution...how do two wrongs make a right?  

"Given that scenario, from both an artists viewpoint, and a buisnessman's viewpoint, I'm not surprised he'd be reluctant to hand over any NEW material for them to later do the same thing with.? I wouldn't characterize him being pissed off as any sort of immature tantrum.? I'd characterize it as justified anger at being screwed by a greedy label with no integrity."

Okay, so in other words,  Axl  would be reluctant to give UM any new music because they could basically choose to lock it up in a vault and sit on it for 100 years? Okay I understand being reluctant about that, but if he's under contract...I guess what I'm not getting is SO WHAT if they release a GH album, if it doesn't sell, no one makes any money, the business writes it off as a loss, and from an artist perspective, wouldn't Axl have the "upper hand" to some extent --because if we boycott the GH album, aren't the businessmen (UM) going to want to release this new material and not sit on it for 100 years even though they have the option ...because the real bottom line is MONEY (for both artist and musician)?

Oh, where is Dr. Seuss when you need him (LOL)
Thanks Pilkerk (SP?) for trying to explain...have a nice weekend.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2004, 07:25:22 PM »

Let me try to be a bit more clear....I'll probably fail miserably, but I'm going to try.

"I'm trying to understand this...Didn't he make a lot of money from this old material? Isn't that why he got to throw tantrums (like St. Louis) and have the tour continue, because EVERYONE was making bejamins? Yeah the business waters are full of sharks and one company gets gobbled by another, that's just a fact, and an uncontrollable one...that's why when you sign a contract, you, the artist are taking a risk?  Right? Because maybe the company you signed with initially gets gobbled up by Universal...I can understand being pissed, but I don't see how intentionally breaking your contract is any kind of rational, adult solution...how do two wrongs make a right?  "

I'm assuming here, so bear with me.  By using the GH material without Axl's permission, I daresay he thinks Universal has breeched the contract, already.  Therefore, he wouldn't think withholding CD (as in allowing them to release the new material) from the label breeches the contract (you can't breech a contract "more").  Remember, a contract, once breeched by ANY party involved, is no longer valid.  So, with contracts, yes...two wrongs make a right, sorta.  That's one scenario.  The other, and other artists have done it when angry at their label, is to intentionally breech the contract and allow it to go to court, because you feel the label has acted "in bad faith".  That means, while they may not have technically violated the contract, they may have violated it's intent/spirit, or just done something to completely piss off the artist.  

"Okay, so in other words,  Axl  would be reluctant to give UM any new music because they could basically choose to lock it up in a vault and sit on it for 100 years? Okay I understand being reluctant about that, but if he's under contract...I guess what I'm not getting is SO WHAT if they release a GH album, if it doesn't sell, no one makes any money, the business writes it off as a loss, and from an artist perspective, wouldn't Axl have the "upper hand" to some extent --because if we boycott the GH album, aren't the businessmen (UM) going to want to release this new material and not sit on it for 100 years even though they have the option ...because the real bottom line is MONEY (for both artist and musician)?"

I don't think he'd be worried about them vaulting it.  I think he'd be worried that, by giving them the material, they'd do the same sort of thing with it, later, that they're doing with the material being used for the GH CD...use it without his express input or control.  Knowing that they're (in Axl's opinion...remember, I'm speculating here) "slimey" enough to do an end around once might make him "gunshy" about handing over new material, in case the same sort of situation arose again.

Does that make my point a little clearer?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: