Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:34:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stopping the Greatest Hits album
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stopping the Greatest Hits album  (Read 121269 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2004, 09:30:54 AM »

Letter sent, FYI, and copied.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
G N R PIMP
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2004, 09:37:30 AM »

So Axl & Co are supporting the 'Greatest Hits' when they do 'Rock In Rio 4'............& there's me thinking it would be 'Chinese Democracy.'..........Doh!
Crowebar
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2004, 09:42:42 AM »

This whole thing is fucked-up.  Cry
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2004, 09:54:15 AM »

What the hell I'll give anything a go if it forces some kind of reaction out of the record company!

Dear Mr Cohen

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction about the proposed release of a Guns and Roses 'Greatest Hits' album. I really cannot see the purpose of it as most of the original members have left the band, and the name 'Guns and Roses' is now synonymous with a new line up, direction and ultimately (we hope) album.

Welcome to the Videos was great, but only because the promo videos have never been released in DVD format before. Other than that, there was no added value to the fans.

I hope this doesn't seem tiresome, but ultimately Guns and Roses fans are also customers and I think we speak with one voice in asking for an update at the very least. The official website does not even confirm the band is playing at Rock in Rio 4 and the last piece of news 'Stay Tuned news about Chinese Democracy' is almost a year old.

Thank you for your time.

Andrew

Here today...ready to rock
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2004, 10:32:42 AM »

"GH release = pissed off Axl
Pissed off Axl <> release of CD
No release of CD = pissed off label
pissed off label = breach of contract lawsuit
breach of contract lawsuit <> release of CD
breach of contract lawsuit = release of band from label
release of band from label <> release of CD
label = owners (at least in part) of CD masters
CD masters = sitting in vault for 20 years
CD release = 2024"

So what you're saying is that Axl (at age 40 is an immature, self-absorbed, irrational asshole and will fuck himself over --wouldn't that be a switch Cheesy--and have a 6 year old tantrum and kick and scream because of the release of a Greatest Hits CD and then, because he apparently is some kind of idiot man baby he says, screw you, you can't have CD now, knowing full well he has a contract?! Amazing!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2004, 10:45:40 AM »

"GH release = pissed off Axl
Pissed off Axl <> release of CD
No release of CD = pissed off label
pissed off label = breach of contract lawsuit
breach of contract lawsuit <> release of CD
breach of contract lawsuit = release of band from label
release of band from label <> release of CD
label = owners (at least in part) of CD masters
CD masters = sitting in vault for 20 years
CD release = 2024"

So what you're saying is that Axl (at age 40 is an immature, self-absorbed, irrational asshole and will fuck himself over --wouldn't that be a switch Cheesy--and have a 6 year old tantrum and kick and scream because of the release of a Greatest Hits CD and then, because he apparently is some kind of idiot man baby he says, screw you, you can't have CD now, knowing full well he has a contract?! Amazing!

No, that's not what I'm saying.  I think he has every right to be pissed off.  UM has taken control of his material, which he  (along with the other former members) worked his ass off to create, without so much as a how do you do.  Given that scenario, from both an artists viewpoint, and a buisnessman's viewpoint, I'm not surprised he'd be reluctant to hand over any NEW material for them to later do the same thing with.  I wouldn't characterize him being pissed off as any sort of immature tantrum.  I'd characterize it as justified anger at being screwed by a greedy label with no integrity.  

And before people start yammering about the 10 million that Interscope has advanced GnR, and how they have a right to recoup it, I'm gonna ask a favor.  If you use that number, point me to a credible source for it.  I've seen it used in countless arguments, but I've not yet actually seen a reputable source for it.  'Cause I've also heard that a good number of the dollars spent to fund CD have come directly from Axl's own pocket. I don't know, exactly, which story is true....so kindly provide some sort of "proof" if you're going to argue against my post using that point.

Together again,
madagas
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2004, 10:47:00 AM »

I don't think ANYONE on this board knows what kind of contract Axl has with whatever record label they are actually on-pick one Uni, Inter, Gef??!!!! This whole thing is one fucked up mess being directed by a fucked up individual. Anyhow, I sent an email to the umusic clown only because the tracklist is an embarrassment, but I still believe we need to be emailing Gnr's management as well. We are the ones screwed here-can't everyone see that? Huh Huh
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2004, 10:50:33 AM »

I agree with noonespecial and Crowebar.

Email the record the record company?  For what?  I'm sure Axl will thank us for all of the support.   rofl

No one gets this:  The GH is NOT for fans like us that look at this board everyday.  It's for those people who know those same 4 or 5 AFD songs, PAtience, KOHD and any other song that was played on the radio.

I don't blame Universal at all.  If this is going to cause such a "struggle," then why wouldn't Sanctuary come out and say something, or why wouldn't the band say something?   no
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2004, 10:52:13 AM »

I don't think ANYONE on this board knows what kind of contract Axl has with whatever record label they are actually on-pick one Uni, Inter, Gef??!!!! This whole thing is one fucked up mess being directed by a fucked up individual. Anyhow, I sent an email to the umusic clown only because the tracklist is an embarrassment, but I still believe we need to be emailing Gnr's management as well. We are the ones screwed here-can't everyone see that? Huh Huh

You're right...nobody knows anything about the details of their contract.  As for the label confusion, here goes.

Uni owns Interscope who owns Geffen.  They were on Geffen, when Geffen was bought, they went to Interscope, and now that Geffen has become "full service" again (apparently), they're back with Geffen.  Uni owns them all, and is the "one ring", so to speak.  Not sure WHERE the GH decision is coming from....

And it sure is one fucked up mess.

Together again,
madagas
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2004, 10:57:36 AM »

I understand the label issue-I work for a Fortune 500 company so I undestand subsidiaries, spin off companies, etc. I also agree no one knows what has been spent on this record, except the Uni, Inter, Gef accountants. Who cares how much has been spent on it? The label has made a helluva lot more off the Gnr name than they have lost!!! I don't feel sorry for them at all either.  Angry
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2004, 11:05:03 AM »

sent.

and misterid, the costs of one cd, is not that simple...yeah, it don't cost much for doing one cd, but you know how much hands there are for taking credit for doing cd's. there are many parties taking the money out of the CD price. marketing, distribution, pirate etc. I've heard that there is not much air with the price of CD.

The band gets a few cents off each album, when the label takes in the rest of the money. Is that a fair practice? Is it fair that they charge us nearly 20$ for something that doesn't even cost a friggin dollar? How they financially rape their artists, I'm supposed to feel sorry for them? I don't think so.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
Crowebar
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2004, 01:09:08 PM »

Axl's a pretty fuckkin' rich dude and it wouldn't surprise me one bit, if he's financed part of his baby.

It is getting pretty ridiculous around here lately.

Even a Moderator like Skeba is getting frustrated and can't take the pressure anymore.

rofl [headbanger]
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2004, 01:16:51 PM »

here is where u all are wrong

u guys say axl has named the cd in 99 and he shouldnt talk about it if he isnt gonna release it

well he hasnt talked about it since dec 2002 so its been over a year and change since we've heard from axl, thats cause it isnt about to get released, axl himself said when there is something to report u will hear from me, until then live your life ,u wont see me in the press or whatever unless there is something to promote. he also said theres a  chance we will never hear it

so its alot of u guys fault for listening to these bullshit insiders thinking they have the direct pipeline to axl,and then when these insiders are wrong everyone blames axl

sure axl has said in the past about next summer, u will see it soon etc but maybe at the time that was the truth but now things have changed

so until axl reports it, not someone on a  message board, no disrespect to mysteron but why the fuck are we doing street teams for a greatest hits?

so i think greatest hits is a cover up or they are some bold son of a bitches tryin to get us to street team for a bullshit greatest hits
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 01:18:45 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2004, 01:20:17 PM »

he also said theres a  chance we will never hear it

WTF !!
 Shocked

when he said that?!

PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2004, 01:22:49 PM »

Someone who lives in LA needs to find out the name of the studio they are "recording finishing touches" in (assuming they actually are, it seems unlikely to me that any recording work is actually being done) and just barge in. Just go for broke and barge in Gord Brody-style.

Japan 4!

Crowebar
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2004, 01:29:22 PM »

Even more reason for Axl to do a press release IMO. Cry

I still get the feeling that GH is actually disguised as CD myself. yes

I hope that's what's going on and if that's what Axl's up to, that's the real reason why he hasn't done a press release to explain all of this shit.

I think Axl might be dropping a nuclear bomb on the whole world without saying anything to anyone and is going to let the fucking music do the fucking talking for him.

Anybody want to start a betting pool on this idea??? Pilferk??? Anyone???

What are the odds that Axl would repeat what they did with the Illusions???
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2004, 01:39:50 PM »

Even more reason for Axl to do a press release IMO. Cry

I still get the feeling that GH is actually disguised as CD myself. yes

I hope that's what's going on and if that's what Axl's up to, that's the real reason why he hasn't done a press release to explain all of this shit.

I think Axl might be dropping a nuclear bomb on the whole world without saying anything to anyone and is going to let the fucking music do the fucking talking for him.

Anybody want to start a betting pool on this idea??? Pilferk??? Anyone???

What are the odds that Axl would repeat what they did with the Illusions???

I have a policy with GnR: I don't bet on anything to do with the release date. Smiley

Together again,
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2004, 01:49:35 PM »

sent.

and misterid, the costs of one cd, is not that simple...yeah, it don't cost much for doing one cd, but you know how much hands there are for taking credit for doing cd's. there are many parties taking the money out of the CD price. marketing, distribution, pirate etc. I've heard that there is not much air with the price of CD.

The band gets a few cents off each album, when the label takes in the rest of the money.

well, there are other hands also that wants their share of pie, not only a label, do you think that all the money that comes from sells goes to the label and artist.....I don't know what are you meaning with the word label, do you include to the word 'label' all these other sections that craps the part of price...marketing engine, distribution etc..I think all these factors raise the price of cd.
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2004, 01:57:46 PM »

WTF !!
 Shocked

when he said that?!

I can't remember that statement also..
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2004, 02:04:49 PM »

WTF !!
 Shocked

when he said that?!

I can't remember that statement also..

I believe that D is referring to Axl saying something along the lines of "If in fact it does happen" during the "live your lives" statement.
/Mike
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 02:06:03 PM by McGann » Logged

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: